First Time Soil 3x3 Tent Grow

Keep in mind that 1000watts of heat on the back of your hand shouldn't be any hotter then the sun on the back of your hand. If you look at most of the journals on 420 mag, the ones with a HID light source are a lot farther away then the ones with CFLs. Here are two other charts that most growers use.

1063932-Foot-Candles_MH_Done_Now.jpg

1063931-Foot-Candle_Chart_HPS_New_Done.jpg

Well the light isnt too hot, ive really rigged up a good fan set up. Got air blowing thru the cool tube + 2 fans cooling it from the outside. I figured I might as well have it as close as I can. With 1100+ watts Its sooo bright in there!

Heres how I have it right now. I leave a little part unzipped so that duct fan blows in cool air right at the canopy. Works pretty good.

9ac90ea3.jpg

Heres a little update. Leaves are starting to get frosty and the buds are getting noticeably bigger. The skywalker OG is pretty far ahead of the rest of them.
Back left: Bubba OG
Back Middle: Master OG
Back Right: Louie 13th
Front Left: Skywalker OG
Front Right Bubba OG

Change the quality to 1080 and make it full screen.

[youtube]zakE6oOfcXs[/youtube]

The clones i made about 9 days ago arent rooting for some reason. I clipped these at a 45 degree angle from my plants, dipped them in rooting gel and put them in rockwool cubes soaked with water Ph'ed to 5.5. I had them under 24h flourecent light and in a closed plastic cloning container. I checked on them today the bases for the stems are all swelled up and dont have any roots. The clippings are still a healthy green color though.

I used a blade and scraped the outermost layer off the base and redipped them in cloning gel. I didnt scrape them before could that be the reason they didnt root?

c6a4fdda.jpg

c6a4fdda.jpg

Well ive got another problem. One of my plants is really looking bad. I dont know why its gotten this bad any opinions? I havent really been overwatering it and a few of the big fan leaves look like their dying. I was thinking about flushing the soil. Help?

IMG_26823.jpg

i would flush, looks almost like a nitrogen toxicity. which is almost locking out other nutes, OR potentially ph issue.

for your clones, you need to not disturb them (take them out of the rockwool), and keep the rockwool at a warm temp.

it can take sometimes up to 3-4 weeks to root depending on conditions. the last 2 clones i took, i took from a sick plant.. and both rooted, but they took 19 days for one, and 23 days for the other. and are now happy and growing strong.

Ok I think temperature may be a problem. It gets kind of cold in my room, currently 65F. The rock wool cubes are pretty cold because their damp. Should i just put them in a pot with soil? Or should I put a heating pad or something under my clone box?

I flushed all my plants yesterday with ph'ed water and their looking much better. Look how much it changed within 24hours.

c74fa726.jpg

A heating pad should help with the clones to root faster, as well as a better ratio of ones that rooted vs ones that didnt. I also read somewhere that you should cut the tips off the fan leaves, leaving only half of the fan leaf attached. Less work for the plant to produce energy to stay healthy, as well as create's more of a focus on rooting. I've only cloned 2x and both times I ended up not caring for them and dumping them, however they did root. I use a humidity dome, rootriot plugs, clonex, a heating pad and some olivia's cloning solution.

Also make sure your clone's are kept in an area with a higher humidity (50% or more). If you put the little clones in somewhere with dry humidity, the plant can't keep up with water loss because there is no root system...

Not too sure whats wrong with your big lady, might want to get some distilled water, check the ph, run it thru your soil...and check the runoff ph....see what kind of variation you have in the ph runoff....that would be my first move... at least then you know if your soil is around the right level.

what i have success with, many people say isnt good. but.. in the limited clones i have taken, i'v had 100% so... anyways here we go..

took a cutting, with 3 nodes, and cut the bottom nodes leaves off, and scraped the stem with the back of a razor blade. Dunked it in rooting gel, and tried to get as much as possible to stick.

stuck the clone in a wet rapid rooter, put a plastic dome over it, sealed 100%(or close to, i put a pen lid under one side to keep it propped open just a little... the humidity however stayed at 92%), and placed a 42 watt 6500k cfl, about 1/4 inch from the dome. The cfl heats up the dome pretty good, but doesnt get hot.

2-4 times daily, i would mist them with 1ml of aquashield, to a 750ml mister, and let the dome sit off for about 10 min. and then put it back on.. (misting them was acutally enough water most of the time to keep the rooters wet) ..

i did this until i saw the first root poke out of the rooter, and after that, i left the dome off. and moved the cfl 4 inches away.

2 days after the first root pokes out, you should be pretty much ready to throw the clones into a bubbler, or a pot of soil etc.

i had my cfl on a 18/6 cycle, as i was doing it in the same area as the growing plant, and i know if i had the cfl on 24/7 they probably would have rooted a lot faster due to not cooling down to in the high 60's overnight.

if your rooters/rockwool or whatever you use, is cool to the touch.. your clone might not even start to root.. they like warmth, high 70's is great, try not to push past that too much or you may get them damping off. (which is why i used aquashield.. it prevents damping off, so i didnt have to worry about my temps as much)

one thing i will add however, is soon as you can leave the dome off without them drooping, i would, as i started to get a little mold on the rooter towards the end on one of the batches.

what i have success with, many people say isnt good. but.. in the limited clones i have taken, i'v had 100% so... anyways here we go..

took a cutting, with 3 nodes, and cut the bottom nodes leaves off, and scraped the stem with the back of a razor blade. Dunked it in rooting gel, and tried to get as much as possible to stick.

stuck the clone in a wet rapid rooter, put a plastic dome over it, sealed 100%(or close to, i put a pen lid under one side to keep it propped open just a little... the humidity however stayed at 92%), and placed a 42 watt 6500k cfl, about 1/4 inch from the dome. The cfl heats up the dome pretty good, but doesnt get hot.

2-4 times daily, i would mist them with 1ml of aquashield, to a 750ml mister, and let the dome sit off for about 10 min. and then put it back on.. (misting them was acutally enough water most of the time to keep the rooters wet) ..

i did this until i saw the first root poke out of the rooter, and after that, i left the dome off. and moved the cfl 4 inches away.

2 days after the first root pokes out, you should be pretty much ready to throw the clones into a bubbler, or a pot of soil etc.

i had my cfl on a 18/6 cycle, as i was doing it in the same area as the growing plant, and i know if i had the cfl on 24/7 they probably would have rooted a lot faster due to not cooling down to in the high 60's overnight.

if your rooters/rockwool or whatever you use, is cool to the touch.. your clone might not even start to root.. they like warmth, high 70's is great, try not to push past that too much or you may get them damping off. (which is why i used aquashield.. it prevents damping off, so i didnt have to worry about my temps as much)

one thing i will add however, is soon as you can leave the dome off without them drooping, i would, as i started to get a little mold on the rooter towards the end on one of the batches.

Nibec said it perfectly :) great job explaining all the details. I follow pretty much the same pattern with the one's I've taken, but I forgot to take the top off and they got mold :) once they root, thats also a great idea to plant them immediately. I let mine go too long, and even though they had huge roots in the cloning tray, I had to scrap them due to the mold issue.... excellent advice Nibec
+rep !

Thanks for the tips, ill try those next time i do clones. I just gave up on the ones i currently had. They werent rooting and its been close to 3 weeks and they all seemed ready to die. That northern lights i planted will be cloned to make 6 more after this harvest.

Right now all my plants are doing good. Flushing really helped out the drooping leaves. Some of them have a few fan leaves starting to turn yellow. They were all a healthy green color so i was wondering what was up with that.

Also i cant seem to get the temps down recently. It hovers around 90F and ive tried a bunch of different set ups with the fans. It honestly doesnt feel that hot in there, it seems like my thermometer isnt giving me accurate readings, not sure though. Im probably going to try and ventilate the light separately before buying an AC to see how much that affects it. In any case im probably going to need an AC unit for the summer time. What would be a good option for a small room like this?

I was thinking about just getting the cheapest air conditioner i could find and keeping it outside of the tent. Id have ducting hooked up to the front of it with a fan drawing in the cold air right in front of the unit. Im thinking that should be enough to bring my temperature down. Just adding that axial fan in the front of my tent made a nice difference and thats only blowing in air thats the temperature of my room which is about 80F

i wouldnt give up on them even if they look like they are about to die... they can root, and take off even from the brink of death! quite amazing to see.

Nibec said it perfectly :) great job explaining all the details. I follow pretty much the same pattern with the one's I've taken, but I forgot to take the top off and they got mold :) once they root, thats also a great idea to plant them immediately. I let mine go too long, and even though they had huge roots in the cloning tray, I had to scrap them due to the mold issue.... excellent advice Nibec
+rep !

thanks buddy, i do my best to help out. seeing it benefit others makes me feel i'v done my part :)

Back
Top Bottom