FiveToMidnight's First Grow - Coco/Perlite - NL - MarsHydro 300W LED - 2015

I only flush for 5-7 days as advised by my mentor, but longer won't hurt. Next round, if funds are available, consider getting some bloom boosters like KoolBloom, or any other product that will supercharge bud development? Also, now that you have a much better feel how to grow, you're next round will come out so much better anyways! This round started with one regimen and was switched mid way due to necessity, but next time you'll most likely start and finish with the same regimen which will make for a way less stressful environment.

I only flush for 5-7 days as advised by my mentor, but longer won't hurt. Next round, if funds are available, consider getting some bloom boosters like KoolBloom, or any other product that will supercharge bud development? Also, now that you have a much better feel how to grow, you're next round will come out so much better anyways! This round started with one regimen and was switched mid way due to necessity, but next time you'll most likely start and finish with the same regimen which will make for a way less stressful environment.

Yeah I see a lot of people doing 5-7 days too, which is why I was curious on how you tell if it is done or not? Is there any way tell if it should be flushed for a couple more days or do you just guess or sample?

I got some cash from Xmas and was planning to use some for something like bloom boosters but wasn't quite sure what I should get. I will be using the 3-Part Flora series with CaliMagic from start to finish next time and will be adding silica from day 1. Not planning on changing regimens this time. I have watched a few growers, one in particular on this forum named Glimmergrass and she has managed to get some exceptionally nice looking plants from just using the GH 3-part flora series with calmag and nothing else. I have a copy of the schedule she uses and was planning to follow that as I have found quite a few others who do the same with great results. Others however also use additives so I'm still not 100% sure on what to get.
Bloom boosters do sound like a good idea though. I'm thinking the silica may be good enough to help the plants deal with the hotter climate as well as help with the nutrient uptake, so maybe the next thing would be something to boost bud size and density as you suggest? I'm not too worried about perfecting the taste at this stage, would really love to get more and larger buds though.
Although as you said, next round should be much much better anyway.
I wont be using peat pots AT ALL!!!!
I will use CFL's instead of the LED for as much as vege as I can. I have just built a new CFL light fixture that holds 8 globes and hangs from the top like the LED. So I think it should be enough coverage up until flower.
I wont be changing regimens and instead will be using a more simple tried and tested method. Not saying that Lucas isn't tried and tested, as many do use it, its just a little more complicated at times to get dialed in correctly. Where as it seems the regimen I got from Glimmergrass is much simpler.
I will be washing the coco properly as I didn't understand this properly this round.
And I have now grown something! Surely I have to do better second time around ;) hahaha

Just got home so will post pics shortly

Here are some pics.
After having another look through the digital microscope it appears that there are still some mites moving around. I couldn't find any dead ones but did find two moving on #3. Still can't find any on #1 though so I'm thinking that's a good thing. I did spray them both anyway.
Maybe I should go and get a different product? I'm starting to think the one I got did not have Neem Oil in it as I thought it did. It did say it would work on mites, but it's now been a week since spraying them and they're still alive.

Anyways here are the pics.

#1 It is now day 11 of flush for this girl. I am going to take a bud and sample it tonight to see if she is ready. I'm not sure how else to tell.

P1112612.JPG
P1112613.JPG
P1112616.JPG
P1112618.JPG
P1112619.JPG
P1112621.JPG
P1112622.JPG
P1112623.JPG
P1112628.JPG

Tric1-1.jpg

Tric1-2.jpg

Tric1-3.jpg

Tric1-4.jpg

Tric1-5.jpg

#3 It is now day 6 of flush for her. She doesn't look as ready so I will wait another few days before sampling. I really wish I could kill these bugs though. It's hard to see them in these pics but I saw them moving around on the camera.

P1112629.JPG
P1112630.JPG
P1112631.JPG
P1112632.JPG
P1112633.JPG
P1112634.JPG
P1112635.JPG
P1112636.JPG
P1112637.JPG
P1112639.JPG

Tric2-1.jpg

Tric2-2.jpg

Tric2-3.jpg

Tric2-4.jpg

Depriving the plant of sustenance forces it to cannibalize itself, and much like the human body, it will prioritize the buds as it still wants to produce seed before it dies. With that said, it will consume less important parts of the plant first. I advise you to remove every leaf that isn't covered in trics right now because otherwise she'll cannibalize those first and the buds won't get the benefits of the flush. A good flushing will deplete the root zone of all nute buildups and after the cannibalization, her remaining leaves (sugar leaves) will yellow.

As I am also still in the learning curve, I don't want to misquote the exact process of what happens in the flush, but I suggest you google it and learn what's going on so you can better gauge what needs to be accomplished before you take her down, but I do know for certain that all her fan leaves need to be removed for the flush to have a better chance of success.

Depriving the plant of sustenance forces it to cannibalize itself, and much like the human body, it will prioritize the buds as it still wants to produce seed before it dies. With that said, it will consume less important parts of the plant first. I advise you to remove every leaf that isn't covered in trics right now because otherwise she'll cannibalize those first and the buds won't get the benefits of the flush. A good flushing will deplete the root zone of all nute buildups and after the cannibalization, her remaining leaves (sugar leaves) will yellow.

As I am also still in the learning curve, I don't want to misquote the exact process of what happens in the flush, but I suggest you google it and learn what's going on so you can better gauge what needs to be accomplished before you take her down, but I do know for certain that all her fan leaves need to be removed for the flush to have a better chance of success.

I have done as you suggested and removed a lot of the large fan leaves. Thanks for that tip!
I will cut #1 down, wash and hang the branches to dry on Saturday. Soo exciting!!

Hey Sky, just so I have this understood, could you confirm these steps please?

1. Remove branches from plant.
2. Remove any large fan leaves/leaves with no trichromes
3. Wash in Lemon/Baking Soda, then warm water, then cold water (Following a video from youtube that I believe you may have created as the username is Skybound)
4. Leave to drip dry for couple of hours or so
5. Give proper trim removing all leaves but keeping all with trichromes in separate bucket (Following Capn's video for this. Awesomely detailed)
6. Hang to dry for 7 days or as long as it takes for branches to snap

Sorry to be so specific, I just find it hard to find a step by step explanation like that.

Yes that's my YT channel and me narrating it. The process is simple and you outlined it correctly. The Capn's explanation of trimming and drying is also very accurate and informative. Remove all the leaves without trics and discard. Wash the colas and let them hang for about an hour, or until no longer dripping, then trim. Be sure to wear disposable gloves as the trics makes everything extremely sticky and the residues do not wash off easy. hang them for 4-6 days, or until the outsides of the buds are very dry and crispy to the touch. Then put them in a paper bag, cardboard box or even a plastic tote. By doing this, the moisture in the center of the buds and stems will leach into the recently dried materials and become moist/damp again at which point you'll reintroduce them to open air with a mild breeze and begin the drying process again. Once the lot of moisture is removed, trim the nugs off the larger stems and jar them. When in jars, you'll want to periodically expose them to air to vent off more moisture. After you're confident that little to no more moisture is being exhausted, then you'll just keep the jars closed and the cure will be underway.

Don't get too caught up in the details in terms of step by step, and try to understand the overall process so you can adlib the process as needed. It's the same process that cigars go through while in a humidor.

Yes that's my YT channel and me narrating it. The process is simple and you outlined it correctly. The Capn's explanation of trimming and drying is also very accurate and informative. Remove all the leaves without trics and discard. Wash the colas and let them hang for about an hour, or until no longer dripping, then trim. Be sure to wear disposable gloves as the trics makes everything extremely sticky and the residues do not wash off easy. hang them for 4-6 days, or until the outsides of the buds are very dry and crispy to the touch. Then put them in a paper bag, cardboard box or even a plastic tote. By doing this, the moisture in the center of the buds and stems will leach into the recently dried materials and become moist/damp again at which point you'll reintroduce them to open air with a mild breeze and begin the drying process again. Once the lot of moisture is removed, trim the nugs off the larger stems and jar them. When in jars, you'll want to periodically expose them to air to vent off more moisture. After you're confident that little to no more moisture is being exhausted, then you'll just keep the jars closed and the cure will be underway.

Don't get too caught up in the details in terms of step by step, and try to understand the overall process so you can adlib the process as needed. It's the same process that cigars go through while in a humidor.

HA thought so! Great video!
Thanks for confirming that, it really helps.

I'm a little stuck on how I'm going to hang them though. Can't really hang them out in the open and would rather keep them within the box if I can. I read on the Bud Washing thread Glimmergrass mentioned before that Doc Bud (the proclaimed inventor of this technique) says it would be a good idea to keep them under the light for the first couple of days. So I thought having them in the grow cabinet would work nicely. Still now sure how to do it or how to fit them in there with #3 still growing though. Any ideas?

I also read that Doc Bud uses H202 mixed with RO water for his first bucket, lemon and baking soda second and plain RO in a third and fourth bucket. I also noticed you had commented very early on in the thread so I'm hoping you're familiar with what I'm talking about. However it is quite an old thread so.....
Either way, could you please explain why you don't use the H202?

When you say to put them in a bag, box or tote do you mean to stack them? Or should they be laid out so they are not touching or at least not on top of each other? I was thinking that might squash them down maybe.

Thanks for the info and the tips, I will google the process cigars go through to better understand all this. :)

The H2O2 bucket is only if you think you might have mold, but if you don't, H2O2 is not needed. It seems that everywhere, but in the states, H2O2 is pretty expensive, plus it somehow makes the bud materials dry quicker than normal. After the first dry, you can stack them a little or lay them side by side in an enclosed space. They will crush a little but, so! The Capn hangs his buds in his bloom room above his lights so I would have to say that this is safe. I was just fortunate to have a 2nd unused bloom room to dry my harvests.

Hey 5 I think you got the proper idea and the right guidance from skybound. I think a cardboard box like gg would be good. I am curious to see your path because I think I will have my ladies finish at different times like yourself and will need a proper place to dry, for the smell, temps, and humidity.

I'll keep you updated on what I end up doing, but due to not having many ideas and even less options, I will probably do as GG did, use a box and put the in the grow room somehow. I'll work it out lol

The H2O2 bucket is only if you think you might have mold, but if you don't, H2O2 is not needed. It seems that everywhere, but in the states, H2O2 is pretty expensive, plus it somehow makes the bud materials dry quicker than normal. After the first dry, you can stack them a little or lay them side by side in an enclosed space. They will crush a little but, so! The Capn hangs his buds in his bloom room above his lights so I would have to say that this is safe. I was just fortunate to have a 2nd unused bloom room to dry my harvests.

Ok great, I'm pretty sure I don't have mold. I did very early on when using those crappy peat pots, just on the top of the coco slightly, but otherwise we have been mold clear! :)
H202 is pretty inexpensive here, just got a small bottle from the local pharmacy for about $8 I think.

Ok I understand, I can easily get cardboard boxes from work at no cost and all different sizes so I'm sure I could get one that would suit. I wont have the biggest amount of buds anyway so I won't need heaps of room.
I think I might look at getting something I could use as a drying room, just not sure what at this point. Maybe a small tent would be the cheapest way?
Any thoughts on that one?

I must say the girls are really making some sticky looking resin now, soo frosty and smell amazing! Particularly #1, she has some awesome looking buds. Makes me see what could be, with a little more practice ;)
Sorry, just getting heaps excited, only 2 sleeps away!!! :drool:

I don't know if I mislead you any, but if you're hanging the nugs in your cabinet, you don't need a box. The box/bag/tote is just to "sweat" the buds once they become crispy after being hung for the 4+ days (or as needed). For small amounts of bud, you can use whatever. When I dried LBs, I had no choice but to use large totes so I could spread it all out nice and not need to stack too many nugs on top of one another.

I bet you are excited mate! I know I Will be come harvest for me! Can't wait to see where the road takes you. If you have a chance snap some pics along the way!

Will definitely take pics and will post for all to see and judge.

I don't know if I mislead you any, but if you're hanging the nugs in your cabinet, you don't need a box. The box/bag/tote is just to "sweat" the buds once they become crispy after being hung for the 4+ days (or as needed). For small amounts of bud, you can use whatever. When I dried LBs, I had no choice but to use large totes so I could spread it all out nice and not need to stack too many nugs on top of one another.

No you didn't mislead, I know what you mean about hanging them in the cabinet. I just don't have the space or means to hang them in there while still growing another plant. Plus, they would have to go directly under the light and would block out light for #3.
I was going to do the box idea from GG that I posted previously and then place the box inside the cabinet so it doesn't block the light and leaves enough room for #3
Once they are crispy I would then stack them in the tote as you advised.
Does that make sense? I'm pretty high so might not lol

Hi, Five!

You'll be fine :) The bud washing is easy and you have a great video to follow. After the bud washing, I hung the branches in a dark place for about 7 hours to let them drip dry a bit (I used my shower :)) and then did a wet trim, and hung the branches in the box.

It must be SO frustrating to have to deal with those bugs -- but whatever you harvest will be pretty damned wonderful :)

My concern is the amount of air flow in a box. If there's none, the buds may not be able to dissipate the RH timely enough. Please ensure that there's good circulation or movement of air across the buds for the first few days, than gradually decrease. Larger spaces can be enclosed as the RH will thin out in the air, but smaller enclosed spaces will quickly bring the humidity of the air higher and may stay which could lead to problems.

Hi, Five!

You'll be fine :) The bud washing is easy and you have a great video to follow. After the bud washing, I hung the branches in a dark place for about 7 hours to let them drip dry a bit (I used my shower :)) and then did a wet trim, and hung the branches in the box.

It must be SO frustrating to have to deal with those bugs -- but whatever you harvest will be pretty damned wonderful :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence GG! I was thinking of using my shower too lol, seems an easy spot for them to drip off for a while.

Yeah the bugs shit me to tears but I think they're dead now. Can't see anything moving yesterday or today when I checked.

My concern is the amount of air flow in a box. If there's none, the buds may not be able to dissipate the RH timely enough. Please ensure that there's good circulation or movement of air across the buds for the first few days, than gradually decrease. Larger spaces can be enclosed as the RH will thin out in the air, but smaller enclosed spaces will quickly bring the humidity of the air higher and may stay which could lead to problems.

That's a good point about the RH thining out, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I could use GG's box idea and just leave it in my bedroom. Got a lot of room and air flow, just wanted to avoid the odor. Maybe I just have to deal with and come up with something better for next time

Back
Top Bottom