Grow room electrical

that's a fused drop box. loads of different ones about at different price points and ratings. most work the same but do your home work. check the specs. most of this stuff is easier / cheaper if you look past just hydro / growing equipment.

we just built most of that stuff for a fraction.
The big one is $150 & the small one $50 on Offer Up (used) so not too bad really. New, would be a different story.
But it makes things easy for some who don't want to wire a bunch of outlets.
I ran a 50 Amp sub panel to my shed & everything out there has a breaker for each outlet. There were no walls in my shed so it made running the electric easy.
I'm just not too sure about the 100 Amp Service being enough for all the power he plans to use. My dad has 100 Amp & the Electric Co. wants $5000 to upgrade the main box to 200 Amp. I pay $5000 for a box I'm taking it with me when I go.... lol.

have you got any spaces left unused on your main breaker box for the house ?

if you add up the breakers that are used what does it equal ? subtract that from 100
what's left is the sum total of what you have to work with. unless you're bringing in more with a new box.

i am comfortable with electricity, have been forced to work with a lot of it professionally, and am scared shitless of getting electrocuted. anyone who isn't frightens me more.

holy. not good. that's too much resistance.

how old is the wiring ? if you have some older aluminum wiring about, this is an even more serious deal. potential fire at any time if you're blowing up sockets.

edit : i have this issue at my veg space. i had to trace all the draws and change a couple things to make it safe. i also use a fused drop box on that circuit to power the veg room. gives out there before it gets exciting.

everything's nice and cool now. just don't run the vacuum on that circuit for any time lol :p
The panel is from like the 60’s there are only like 4 spots for fuses.
I will be upgrading it before anything and yeah I just turn the main breaker off then test the main panel wires before touching anything
So far from my math and adding everything up I have roughly 40 amps to play with this is with the 80% rule

The big one is $150 & the small one $50 on Offer Up (used) so not too bad really. New, would be a different story.

totally the way to go if you aren't comfy with looking about. you can get not as fancy fused 15a drop boxes from any hardware store. look for the ones used for building or construction sites. but be careful, there are piles of cheap look a likes.

I ran a 50 Amp sub panel to my shed & everything out there has a breaker for each outlet. There were no walls in my shed so it made running the electric easy.

nice set up. that's how it's done

I'm just not too sure about the 100 Amp Service being enough for all the power he plans to use.

worried as well. would like to point him to led and couple other things if he's stuck there.

So far from my math and adding everything up I have roughly 40 amps to play with this is with the 80% rule

you got plenty if you wanna run a dedicated circuit for a decent grow. you won't be escobar, but you can provide decent for you and yours under the radar or legal if allowed if that is what you want.

I'm just not too sure about the 100 Amp Service being enough for all the power he plans to use. My dad has 100 Amp & the Electric Co. wants $5000 to upgrade the main box to 200 Amp. I pay $5000 for a box I'm taking it with me when I go.... lol.
While I’m growing the only thing I’ll be running with the lights on is the fridge and maybe the microwave with a few lights on which will all be on a dedicated circuit
Everything else can wait for lights off to run

you got plenty if you wanna run a dedicated circuit for a decent grow. you won't be escobar, but you can provide decent for you and yours under the radar or legal if allowed if that is what you want.
Was planning on using these 4000watt king leds and just double checked and apparently they’re only around 400 true watts
I’m trying to have 1 light per 2 plants

I totally understand you wanting 2 plants per light. I did a grow (LED) with 1 Mars Hydro TSW 2000 above each plant. Best yield ever. I've been trying out Bar style lights lately. Still haven't got the yield I did with a light over each plant.
Pretty soon I plan to purchase 6 - 8 of the Mars Hydro TS 1000's so I can have 1 light per plant. I have to admit, I'm a Mars Hydro fan. I've had my best grows with their lights. Even the Advanced Platinum P900's that were $1050 each couldn't compete with those lights yield wise. I've probably tried 10-12 different light brands & I always seem to go back to Mars. Just my opinion of course.

I totally understand you wanting 2 plants per light. I did a grow (LED) with 1 Mars Hydro TSW 2000 above each plant. Best yield ever. I've been trying out Bar style lights lately. Still haven't got the yield I did with a light over each plant.
Pretty soon I plan to purchase 6 - 8 of the Mars Hydro TS 1000's so I can have 1 light per plant. I have to admit, I'm a Mars Hydro fan. I've had my best grows with their lights. Even the Advanced Platinum P900's that were $1050 each couldn't compete with those lights yield wise. I've probably tried 10-12 different light brands & I always seem to go back to Mars. Just my opinion of course.
I was thinking about doing those but they just did t seem powerful what was your average plant yield when using Mars hydros

Was planning on using these 4000watt king leds and just double checked and apparently they’re only around 400 true watts
I’m trying to have 1 light per 2 plants

go by what your grow space is. determine that first. we can help you with the light rigs and what you need to power it after. plus ventilation etc. you have to let us know what have as a start though.

king led is pretty decent meh .. we can help you get better with some info. also we have great lighting sponsors that have board discounts and such

mars will keep you churning looking for the right light
they rarely put all the decent components in one package. they're the best cheap shit out there though. great beginner stuff.

edit: would actually go some of the mars over the king led which says piles

I was thinking about doing those but they just did t seem powerful what was your average plant yield when using Mars hydros
It was these 3 plants. 9.5 oz. was the smallest & 11.1 oz. was the biggest. With a light over each plant I think you can pull 8 oz. every time.

6-403.JPG

6-387.JPG

6-393.JPG

6-397.JPG

It was these 3 plants. 9.5 oz. was the smallest & 11.1 oz. was the biggest. With a light over each plant I think you can pull 8 oz. every time.

6-403.JPG

6-387.JPG

6-393.JPG

6-397.JPG
Was not expecting that well I think you may have changed my mind I’ll buy a couple of these and give them a shot I also have a 420 true watt 4 cob led light and a crappy blurple light I’ll be throwing in there

go by what your grow space is. determine that first. we can help you with the light rigs and what you need to power it after. plus ventilation etc. you have to let us know what have as a start though.

king led is pretty decent meh .. we can help you get better with some info. also we have great lighting sponsors that have board discounts and such
So far the space I’ll have is around 60 to 70 sf
Ventilation I will be running a passive intake ac infinity 4in but will be upgrading to a 6 inch.
With a roughly 7k btu ac
And I’ll go ahead and avoid king led been reading to many negative reviews

This will also be my 3rd grow first 2 we’re in a 4by4 tent

have you got any spaces left unused on your main breaker box for the house ?

if you add up the breakers that are used what does it equal ? subtract that from 100
what's left is the sum total of what you have to work with. unless you're bringing in more with a new box.

i am comfortable with electricity, have been forced to work with a lot of it professionally, and am scared shitless of getting electrocuted. anyone who isn't frightens me more.

holy. not good. that's too much resistance.

how old is the wiring ? if you have some older aluminum wiring about, this is an even more serious deal. potential fire at any time if you're blowing up sockets.

edit : i have this issue at my veg space. i had to trace all the draws and change a couple things to make it safe. i also use a fused drop box on that circuit to power the veg room. gives out there before it gets exciting.

everything's nice and cool now. just don't run the vacuum on that circuit for any time lol :p
House is 40yo - the grow room was likely used for a grow space before me, and likely were using HID lighting. I checked for aluminum wiring and only found 1 wire that was going to an electric stove. I have gas stove now and removed that wire was only 1 and man wow why did they use that stuff?? Its hard to work with and way thicker than copper.

On my list of shit to fix. I need to pull the sockets in that room and replace with new. A lot of the electric was all redone recently last 5 years and likely before the old owners were growing. We have solar so all new panels and sub-panels and wires re-routed for ease of ID for new locations and its all pretty clean. If there was aluminum somewhere they would have removed and replaced fer sure. Thats an ASS-umption but I talked with the electrician that did all the work. Every circuit is 20A and wire is up to spec. Its overbuilt but still failing sockets aint a good sign. Could be loose wires which is a problem.

House is 40yo - the grow room was likely used for a grow space before me, and likely were using HID lighting. I checked for aluminum wiring and only found 1 wire that was going to an electric stove. I have gas stove now and removed that wire was only 1 and man wow why did they use that stuff?? Its hard to work with and way thicker than copper.

On my list of shit to fix. I need to pull the sockets in that room and replace with new. A lot of the electric was all redone recently last 5 years and likely before the old owners were growing. We have solar so all new panels and sub-panels and wires re-routed for ease of ID for new locations and its all pretty clean. If there was aluminum somewhere they would have removed and replaced fer sure. Thats an ASS-umption but I talked with the electrician that did all the work. Every circuit is 20A and wire is up to spec. Its overbuilt but still failing sockets aint a good sign. Could be loose wires which is a problem.

i'd love to be on solar.

40 years is still past the time frame aluminum was used. it should be copper by the 80s. you actually have to find the wire runs and check them. a lot of outlets got re-wired with copper over the years, but the runs were left aluminum.

my place is so old the stove is hardwired in.

If you are using a 1960s fuse box with 4 fuses it is not 100A, most likely 30A service. The sum of the fuses is not service amps. A modern100 amp service box will hold 20+, 30amp circuit breakers. Do you have 4 AWG wire from the weather head feeding a 100amp main fuse? Upgrading to 100 amps requires all lines, box, and meter from main breaker to the utility pole are at least 4AWG. Licensed for 30 years and it's still not a simple DIY. Sub panels are a doable DIY though.

Watts = (volts X amps) / ohms 80% of 20amp is.... 16amps X 120volt = 1920watts/ohms
The AWG per amp you referenced were legally correct for short runs under 50 foot. If you are at 16A, 50 foot of 12awg wire= .08 ohms = 3.5 volts or 56 wats lost to resistance heat. Over 50 foot you will increase the ohms and turn more electricity into wire heat. Stepping up the diameter will decrease power loss, increase efficiency, and add a safety factor. You want the week link to be the fuse/breaker not the wire.

If you are using a 1960s fuse box with 4 fuses it is not 100A, most likely 30A service. The sum of the fuses is not service amps. A modern100 amp service box will hold 20+, 30amp circuit breakers. Do you have 4 AWG wire from the weather head feeding a 100amp main fuse? Upgrading to 100 amps requires all lines, box, and meter from main breaker to the utility pole are at least 4AWG. Licensed for 30 years and it's still not a simple DIY. Sub panels are a doable DIY though.

Watts = (volts X amps) / ohms 80% of 20amp is.... 16amps X 120volt = 1920watts/ohms
The AWG per amp you referenced were legally correct for short runs under 50 foot. If you are at 16A, 50 foot of 12awg wire= .08 ohms = 3.5 volts or 56 wats lost to resistance heat. Over 50 foot you will increase the ohms and turn more electricity into wire heat. Stepping up the diameter will decrease power loss, increase efficiency, and add a safety factor. You want the week link to be the fuse/breaker not the wire.
I’m having someone come and upgrade honestly I feel like pictures would explain it better this is my setup at the moment the main breaker outside says 40 on the breaker switch

A8A6E891-3106-4A01-B1B3-F03669FA478D.jpeg

E6D1F176-5392-40DE-BD87-84544185CDCF.jpeg

0F0CCEB2-618D-4DFD-B4F1-FBB8078DFFDD.jpeg

yes, that helps. It is a breaker box, not a fuse box. 40amp service with one double throw 20 amp breaker. You can add another double throw into that box so 2 circuits. how many amps you can add depends more on how much load there is on the existing circuits.
From your list it looks like 9amps draw constant and start up power surge to 15 amps if every thing starts at the same time.

yes, that helps. It is a breaker box, not a fuse box. 40amp service with one double throw 20 amp breaker. You can add another double throw into that box so 2 circuits. how many amps you can add depends more on how much load there is on the existing circuits.
From your list it looks like 9amps draw constant and start up power surge to 15 amps if every thing starts at the same time.
I guess I’m gonna have someone come and put in a 100 amp main
And I decided to go with a light mover so that will cut a lot of the power I was planning to use to only like 1000 watts of lighting
Also I have gas lines in this house so the dryer , stovetop, oven and water heater are using and it going to be using gas so the last main power consumer would be the 25k btu house a/c and the fridge which the ac I don’t have to use while the grow light/ grow a/c are running if that makes since.

Back
Top Bottom