Hard duct versus flex duct

While I have my setup torn apart and cobbled back together as I wait on parts I figured I would touch on something I see a lot of.

Lots of folks recommend using flex duct for your extraction setup. While there's nothing "wrong" with that, it's not right.
The semi-rigid aluminum stuff is ok, but it's still louder than hard pipe. All those ridges create noise that's why you hear suggestions to keep it pulled tight, it also increases the effectiveness and efficiency of the setup.

Here's an example of why flex duct sucks for return air applications.

Notice how the plastic is sucked inward between the metal spiral. You go from a 6in inside diameter to less than 5in. Plus all the turbulence from the ridges slows the air down reducing effectiveness.

This is what flex duct looks like on the supply side, notice how it's fully inflated and creates a much smoother inside surface. Much quieter and more efficient.

Hard pipe gets a bad rap for being expensive but you can get 10ft and a couple of elbows for around $20-30. Which is enough for most grow tent setups and it looks much nicer on top of functioning a whole lot better.

I should have a vent in my room but I'm worried about cold air in the winter. It gets stuffy and low 80's with all the light I have packed in to my 4x10 box. I'd like to have the option to cool it a bit if needed with something switchable...I imagine the vent outside is covered, but I'm worried about backwards return in 30+ mph, -20 degree winds I get living on top of a treeless hill in the middle of February in north MI. Is it a function of where the vent is located? I just don't know a bleedin thing about air circulation theory.

I should have a vent in my room but I'm worried about cold air in the winter. It gets stuffy and low 80's with all the light I have packed in to my 4x10 box. I'd like to have the option to cool it a bit if needed with something switchable...I imagine the vent outside is covered, but I'm worried about backwards return in 30+ mph, -20 degree winds I get living on top of a treeless hill in the middle of February in north MI. Is it a function of where the vent is located? I just don't know a bleedin thing about air circulation theory.

Back draft preventer. Like a check valve for ducting, only lets air flow one way.

I don't vent to or pull from outside. I vent into my return duct and let the central air remove all the heat. Outside air is just too dirty for me to bother bringing it directly into the grow. And as mentioned there's not a ton of time throughout the year that we have favorable conditions for it here in the mitten.

All the air you blow outside will be replaced by more air from outside.
Any air you bring in from outside has to be conditioned either through your furnace or AC, so if your exhaust to target differential is greater than your outdoor air to target differential your paying more to run the rest of your HVAC equipment by dumping it outside than if you recirculated it. Indoor air also has a higher co2 concentration than fresh air so it's all together a better source for incoming air than outdoor air.

Living in the valley for a few years during college was a big reason why I went into the trade to begin with. I'm mostly a stay at home Dad now, I handle two local grocery stores, some gas stations and a few restaurants. Just a fly by nighter. I've worked on everything from little bitty drinking fountains to great big 100ton+ glycol chillers for the breweries.
If you ain't changing state you ain't movin' heat. Haha

While I have my setup torn apart and cobbled back together as I wait on parts I figured I would touch on something I see a lot of.

Lots of folks recommend using flex duct for your extraction setup. While there's nothing "wrong" with that, it's not right.
The semi-rigid aluminum stuff is ok, but it's still louder than hard pipe. All those ridges create noise that's why you hear suggestions to keep it pulled tight, it also increases the effectiveness and efficiency of the setup.

Here's an example of why flex duct sucks for return air applications.

Notice how the plastic is sucked inward between the metal spiral. You go from a 6in inside diameter to less than 5in. Plus all the turbulence from the ridges slows the air down reducing effectiveness.

This is what flex duct looks like on the supply side, notice how it's fully inflated and creates a much smoother inside surface. Much quieter and more efficient.

Hard pipe gets a bad rap for being expensive but you can get 10ft and a couple of elbows for around $20-30. Which is enough for most grow tent setups and it looks much nicer on top of functioning a whole lot better.
Where's your "T"? I always liked your avatar.

That setup is in the veg closet still. This one will get a tee too once the new inline filter finally gets here.
And a water cooled dehumidifier before this summer is done.
:thumb:
Bring on the T. Bring on the T. Bring on the T... my picket line.
What a good idea. The heat coming off my dehumidifier is crazy.

There used to be a couple of companies making them but I'm assuming sales sucked. They were like 2 grand if I remember correctly. I can buy a brand new unit, water coil and regulating valve at retail price for less than half that.

Thought about doing custom conversions for folks but everyone thinks they want a mini split instead. A water cooled dehumidifier IS an AC unit it removes heat and moisture from the space and moves it elsewhere. Most dehueys are around a ton so 12000 BTUs, more than enough for your average home grow. And it's super cool as far as I'm concerned.

I emailed about the filter last week, still haven't heard back. It's apparently being drop shipped, which they didn't bother to mention until after I paid for it. SMH.
I'm tired of walking around that can all the time. Haha

There used to be a couple of companies making them but I'm assuming sales sucked. They were like 2 grand if I remember correctly. I can buy a brand new unit, water coil and regulating valve at retail price for less than half that.

Thought about doing custom conversions for folks but everyone thinks they want a mini split instead. A water cooled dehumidifier IS an AC unit it removes heat and moisture from the space and moves it elsewhere. Most dehueys are around a ton so 12000 BTUs, more than enough for your average home grow. And it's super cool as far as I'm concerned.

I emailed about the filter last week, still haven't heard back. It's apparently being drop shipped, which they didn't bother to mention until after I paid for it. SMH.
I'm tired of walking around that can all the time. Haha
Damn dude, you're all handy. I think mine is around 12000 I'm not sure. It's not easy on the electricity thats for sure

Damn dude, you're all handy. I think mine is around 12000 I'm not sure. It's not easy on the electricity thats for sure

Refrigeration is my Jam. Water cooled dehuey is the most efficient way to get that amount of cooling. Right off the bat they use one less fan motor so there's a reduction plus you can keep the condenser temp down lower further increasing the compressor efficiency and longevity.

The coolest part about water cooled stuff is that it actually transfers your waste heat into something that can be useful year round regardless of geography. Everyone uses hot water, if you were so inclined it could be tied into your domestic hot water so that all the energy your using to cool your grow is actually being harnessed to provide your hot water.

Refrigeration is my Jam. Water cooled dehuey is the most efficient way to get that amount of cooling. Right off the bat they use one less fan motor so there's a reduction plus you can keep the condenser temp down lower further increasing the compressor efficiency and longevity.

The coolest part about water cooled stuff is that it actually transfers your waste heat into something that can be useful year round regardless of geography. Everyone uses hot water, if you were so inclined it could be tied into your domestic hot water so that all the energy your using to cool your grow is actually being harnessed to provide your hot water.
Wild stuff. I i know is I have to plug it in... thats VERY important. Thankfully, there's only one dial. OH! and I have to screw on the garden hose in the back. Its all very confusing

Back
Top Bottom