HashGirl Grows Alpine Star CBD, Carnival, Dark Devil & Raspberry Cough

Thanks MrS! Close is great, but would you say that it's a 10.5% silica solution based on the w/v number? That's what I would need to enter into my handy dandy hydrobuddy database.
OIC what you were getting at now. That I don't know, but there's room for error on Silica, so using 10 or 10.5% won't affect anything,

Congrats on the all that harvesting! Looks like tons of bud in there to keep you happy for a month or two particularly all the CBD. Raspberry Cough looks trichful. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Silica is important for plants and helps them develop strong bones and teeth stems, and MC doesn't have much at all, so adding some from the first feed to the last is a good thing. One of the main problems with silica is the cheapest form is potassium silicate, which bumps the already-high potassium content of MC and can lead to toxicity.

It's best to find a product of monosilic acid (MSA), which is 0-0-0 and immediately available to the plants (postassium silicate needs to be broken down first by microbes in the soil). It ain't cheap, but it's the best type of silica for the plants if it's in the budget.

I have been using Stout MSA, but it's pretty diluted so I'm on the hunt for the most cost effective brand as I just ran out yesterday!

The brands that I found online are:
  • General Hydroponics Armor SI for Gardening (Soluble Potash (K2O) - 4%)
  • Cultivation Emporium Optimum Silicate (Soluble Potash (K20) - 3.0%, Silicon dioxide (SiO2) - 8.0%)
  • GroTek Gro-Silic (Available Silicon (Si(OH)4) .......... 44.0%, Boron (B)(actual) .......... 0.009%, Molybdenum (Mo)(actual) .......... 0.0015%)
  • GroTek Pro-Silicate (Soluble Potash (K2O) .......... 4.0%)
  • Emerald Harvest Sturdy Stalk (0.4% silica derived from potassium silicate)
  • Cyco Platinum Series Silica (3% Silicon (Si) - Derived from Potassium Silicate)
  • Elite 91 Silicic Acid (4.1% Monosilicic Acid and 1.2% plant available Silicon, 21 different organic L-amino acids, and contains zinc, boron, molybdenum and manganese for an extra micronutrient boost)
I'm thinking maybe the ones with Monosilicic Acid (bolded) are better than the ones with potassium?

I've also read that you could use diatomaceous earth for your silica.

I use solar green power from Buddhas tree.
Says it's a nano silicic acid, they boast " the most absorbable silica possible"
All I know is it made the stems a lot stronger.
I started using it in hydro but works just aswell in soil.

Thanks, Lister.

Like Shed, this product isn't available in Canada.

Oh thanks, but you are secure in using a 10% number for this product based on Lister's reading of the bottle?
I don't think it matters whether it's 10% or 100%. It's the amount we give to get that certain ppm level. So theoretically, and as an example, he'll use maybe 5 grams to our 15g.

That make sense to you? You could do a comparison with his and yours and see what gram weight it works out to.

Thanks for posting that silica summary HG!
I'm thinking maybe the ones with Monosilicic Acid (bolded) are better than the ones with potassium?
From my reading yes. It's more quickly available to the plants and doesn't mess with your nutrient ratios/amounts.
I've also read that you could use diatomaceous earth for your silica.
I tried that but I have no idea if it did anything other than make the soil white!
That make sense to you?
No, but I won't clog up HG's thread with my reply! Off to the PM I go... :slide:

I made an error on the final yield of the Carnival. I had said 119 grams but I actually got 177 grams.

Felonious has the weights written on the bottom of the canning jars so I was filling them and then subtracting the weight of the jar. Unbeknownst to me, the weight actually includes both lids, too.

Now, I know the 4 lids didn't weight 58 grams altogether so I really have no idea why I have 57 grams more than I originally thought I had but, it's always good to have more than you think you have. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The brands that I found online are:
  • GroTek Gro-Silic (Available Silicon (Si(OH)4) .......... 44.0%, Boron (B)(actual) .......... 0.009%, Molybdenum (Mo)(actual) .......... 0.0015%)

In other news, I bought the item noted above. The instructions say it's best used as a foliar spray. Here are the instructions:

Foliar application: Dilute to 1:500 or greater. Apply at the 3 – 8 leaf stage and once monthly thereafter as required. Soilless/water culture application: For nutrient solutions apply at a rate of 0.15 – 0.30 ml/L (0.6 – 1.2 ml/gal.).

What do you think the 3-8 leaf stage means? And, does foliar spray mean that I spray the plant/leaves the same way I do when I spray Safer's on them?

What do you think the 3-8 leaf stage means? And, does foliar spray mean that I spray the plant/leaves the same way I do when I spray Safer's on them?
They're not referring to cannabis specifically (which grows leaves in pairs), so I'd guess it means 3rd or 4th node.

I'm not big on foliar sprays, but I would spray the tops of the leaves rather than the bottoms like you do with Safers. And no rinsing!

would spray the tops of the leaves rather than the bottoms
Foliars are always better on the bottom/underside. That’s always where I’m aiming.

When I foliar for nutrien pt purposes, it’s a very light spray on the underside - but that’s a strong mix. Youll need to check their instructions. And it’s best applied while out of the tent and wait till it’s dried off before putting back under lights! I prefer first thing after lights on for timing.

Note tho that foliar spraying adds work! I’d have gone wth something to drop into the nutes ;)

do they get plenty of wind while growing and stretching? That’s also a big factor. How is your fan situation?

:ciao: :passitleft:

I have an oscillating fan in there that looks like this one:

21615040_M.jpg

And, one of these:

grow-tent-fan-1024x674.jpg

Foliars are always better on the bottom/underside. That’s always where I’m aiming.

When I foliar for nutrien pt purposes, it’s a very light spray on the underside - but that’s a strong mix. Youll need to check their instructions. And it’s best applied while out of the tent and wait till it’s dried off before putting back under lights! I prefer first thing after lights on for timing.

Thanks, Amy.

I could only find 2 products in Canada that contain Monosilicic Acid and this was one was the least expensive of the 2, i.e. $60 vs $90 for 500 ml.

The Grotek website also states:

Gro-Silic is very effective as a soil drench, but for fastest absorption apply as a foliar spray.

So, do you think I should use it as a soil drench instead? I had decided to go with the foliar spray as that's what their instructions seemed to have implied should be done.

Note tho that foliar spraying adds work! I’d have gone wth something to drop into the nutes ;)

I'm already spraying Safer's on them every 2 or 3 days so I don't figure an extra thing to spray is necessarily more work. Although, as they get bigger, that could change.

I'm not big on foliar sprays
And I can say for sure that Amy is! ↓
:thanks:
I'm already spraying Safer's on them every 2 or 3 days
Once you knock down any initial colonization of bugs, you can probably go with 3-4 days for spraying. And feel free to alternate products, like Safers on Monday and neem (not for plants with pistils) on Friday.

After three weeks of spraying indoors you can stop completely, assuming you aren't bringing bugs in from outside. The outside ones I would go on spraying once a week until just before harvest.

Good afternoon.

I trimmed the Raspberry Cough today. I got 149 grams. Felonious had previously harvested a Raspberry Cough clone, which he got 49 grams off of so all told, I'll have 198 grams, which is great! Here are the photos:

IMG_3835.jpeg

IMG_3836.jpeg

IMG_3845.jpg

I still have to trim up the 3 Alpine Stars. I hope to get them all done by the end of the weekend and then we can close this journal.

It's all for oil. The oil is used for depression (for me) and a preventative for Alzheimer's (for Felonious as his mum has Alzheimer's).

I've never smoked or vaped a CBD-only flower. I would assume it would relax you and help if you're too high and it's in the cupboard if that's what I decide to use it for. We have a lot of it, after all. ;)

Good evening, folks. I've finished trimming my Alpine Stars and have the final numbers and photos. Additionally, Felonious harvested and trimmed an Alpine Star clone that I didn't know about and got 82 grams from it. Without further ado, here are the photos:

Winter 2021 Grow - Final Numbers.jpg

ALP2:

IMG_3977.jpeg

IMG_3999.jpeg

ALP4:

IMG_4020.jpeg

IMG_4021.jpg

And, that's it. Thanks to everyone who followed along and the many members who helped where needed. I couldn't have done it without you. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom