Herb grinders and the kief catcher

Chuckeye

Fess up, how many of you have removed the kief catcher screen on your grinder to get a larger catch volume ?

Shopping for my first grinder, I want to smoke the whole bud so the screen seems to be a waste of volume...

Thinking of just going for a Brilliant Cut grinder, I like that there are no threads to navigate ;)

7 weeks delivery, sigh...

Cheers.

Fess up, how many of you have removed the kief catcher screen on your grinder to get a larger catch volume ?

Shopping for my first grinder, I want to smoke the whole bud so the screen seems to be a waste of volume...

Thinking of just going for a Brilliant Cut grinder, I like that there are no threads to navigate ;)

Cheers.
Hey Chuckeye, I initially thought the BCG was just average with a pretty 'diamond cut' pattern on the lid, but once I start reading about it, having no threads and how they turn about the centre rather than round the rim, I was hooked. I ordered one 5 weeks ago, so perhaps a couple of weeks more then just delivery time. If it's for life, then 7 weeks sounds worth waiting for! :goof:

That's expensive.....would love to know after yiu guys get them if you think it's worth it.

I have a Kozo that I do like alot, $18 USD, but not much catch volume with the kief screen. I do wish it had a finer grind to it....liking that the BGC has three grind levels.

I would love a big pile of kief but not at the expense of my bud. I don't want a kief screen as I'd prefer that my ground bud retains it's share of kief when it comes to using it. I recently bought a Kannastor grinder which is a 'slimline' model and only after using I realise that it is so slim and it is therefore terrible for gripping, WTF was I thinking, a complete waste of money. Anyway, I am convinced that the BTC is a special device and to hell with the 7 week wait, this one's gonna be for life! BTW I didn't want the expense of multi grind plates so I just went with medium which I think will cover my needs nicely.:hookah:

I only use my grinder when my thumb nails can't tear a bud apart. I used to use scissors but, they got gummed up to fast. I make bubble hash so kief is just an after thought. When I get enough kief I just heat roll it like hash.

I only use my grinder when my thumb nails can't tear a bud apart. I used to use scissors but, they got gummed up to fast.
I had been finger tearing my buds for a long time too, then I thought maybe I should try a proper grinder and see if that makes a difference in vaping extraction. I really liked what people said about the BCG and the whole back story of it being family made in Canada, I decided I'd like to own 1 good grinder in my life and the BCG will be it!

No idea of brand. Got some psychadellic value though. But those are hard working bit of gear
IMG_20210628_185709.jpg
IMG_20210628_185642.jpg

Thanks @stonedape o_O

I will be placing an order for a Brilliant Cut Grinder, in the mean time a Titan Crusher arrives tomorrow.

If I can't remove the kief catcher screen neatly I will have a machinist friend turn off a portion of the interior on a metal lathe !

Titan Crusher.JPG

Titan Crusher Herb & Spice Grinder [Upgraded Version] – Medium 4 Piece Aluminum Spice Grinder Machine Tool with 50 Super Sharp Diamond Teeth - 2.5" Silver​

> Cdn $29.99 with free Prime shipping !

Titan Crusher exploded.JPG

Cheers

1664494111435.png

^ A cheapie from eBay and it's great.

I use the above screen mull for early night and add kief for late night.

I use a guitar pick to scrape it up from the lower chamber.

When the mull runs out I pack half a cone of damiana and add kief on top.

If you're wondering how I get so much kief - here's the secret.

The coins also mull up the grounds a bit finer than the grinder. I use washers instead, easier to scrape off the resin that builds on the surfaces.

Also, I recently visited a friend and gave him a couple of washers. Without even freezing I put the washers above the screen and showed him how to shake it and surprisingly it rattled a lot of kief attached to screen, etc. down into the lower chamber.

He was really surprised how much dropped, he was totally out of mull and was able to have a few kief topped damiana cones.

He's now regularly freezing, shaking and catching kief.

j

Cheers.
Check out green monkey grinders. Best I’ve ever used imo and the best grind for cones, pieces with screen. Just got a 65mm and it shipped to me in 4 days.

If I can't remove the kief catcher screen neatly I will have a machinist friend turn off a portion of the interior on a metal lathe !

No need, if you don't like the screen segment, you simply leave it out. 4 piece grinders are modular, you can turn them into 3 piece grinders easily.

The threads on the lower segment match the threads on both the 2nd and 3rd segments. So you simply screw the lower chamber onto the second segment, instantly turning your 4-piece grinder into a 3-piece grinder without a screen.

I do wish it had a finer grind to it....

Use coins/washers above the screen, see my post above.

j

No need, if you don't like the screen segment, you simply leave it out. 4 piece grinders are modular, you can turn them into 3 piece grinders easily.

The threads on the lower segment match the threads on both the 2nd and 3rd segments. So you simply screw the lower chamber onto the second segment, instantly turning your 4-piece grinder into a 3-piece grinder without a screen.

Use coins/washers above the screen, see my post above.

j
Problem is, that reduces the holding capacity of the lower chamber to less than 25%.

Anywho, screen is gone and darn thing works so well I likely won't be ordering a $130 Brilliant Cut :bongrip:

Cheers

Problem is, that reduces the holding capacity of the lower chamber to less than 25%.

True but I like to only grind as much as I'm going to consume in the one sitting.

Not sure if it's all in my mind but freshly ground is going to taste better than pre-ground; think freshly ground coffee vs. pre-ground, which smells better to you?

Fair enough if you're grinding for a party.

j

True but I like to only grind as much as I'm going to consume in the one sitting.

Not sure if it's all in my mind but freshly ground is going to taste better than pre-ground; think freshly ground coffee vs. pre-ground, which smells better to you?

Fair enough if you're grinding for a party.

j
LOL, pretty hard for me to grind just enough for one sitting ;)

I am as they say a cheap date, he, he..

A one hitter pipe full is usually enough for an evening !

I grind 1/8 - 1/4 and store in a 250ml glass jar. Stays fresh long enough until it's empty :bongrip:

But coffee is another matter. I have a Breville Dose Control grinder and grind a double dose fresh every morning !

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom