How do I best fill the SCROG screen?

Here is the guide that I used :

Scrogging method isn’t all about setting up a screen and watching your marijuana grow. Although very little work is involved in general, you will still need to take great care if you want to scrog correctly.

One of the first things you’ll want to do is cut the top colas off of each plant when the plant is around 10 inches tall. This encouraged the plant to create new branches that you can manipulate in any way you please.

The ideal way to manipulate the new branches is to wait until they have reached the screen. At this point, the tops of the branches will be slightly poking through one of the holes in the screen.

You’ll want to continue to take each branch from each plant and move them over to the next hole so that horizontal growth can continue relatively unimpeded.

Or bend and attach all the branches to the screen with some wire horizontally.

Obviously, if you let the plants continue to grow vertically, you’ll run out of space.

However, if the marijuana plants are “trained” to grow horizontally, you will ultimately get more yield and a better canopy later on.

Just before the top of the plant hits the screen, cut off all the small branches and side shoots at the bottom.

This give a boost to the top colas because there will be no energy wasted on the growth of useless and small side shoots and fluffy buds.

The process of taking the branches out of one hole in the screen and placing them in a hole farther away from the plant base is often referred to as “tucking.”

This should be carried out with the utmost care as any breakages can cause your marijuana plants to reduce growth.

Some marijuana growers like to make their screens adjustable so that they can raise the “ceiling” if the growth becomes too abundant.

This is really beneficial if you want to keep your plants in vegetative state for as long as you can.

The more branches you have, the more you can continue tucking. Since the growth is diversified and the light is hitting every viable part of the plants, the yield will increase when harvest time comes around.

When to flower ( Flip )

Because scrogging represents an indoor growth technique, the shift between vegetative state and flowering state will be up to the individual grower. The timing should be ideal, but there are many different factors in play.

For instance, if you’re using a hydroponic system, you might be able to take the plants from vegetative growth into flowering within a matter of only 3 to 4 weeks.

If the plants are in soil, it should take around 6 to 8 weeks.

You can see when the plants have sort of maxed out in their vegetative state.

You will obviously want to visualize how much the plants will continue to grow once they enter flowering.

When you decide to go for it, put the plants on a 12/12 light regimen.

Then, growth will start to increase as the plants begin to flower extensively. Carefully train all branches and shoots through their individual slots in the screen.

I flipped to flowering when my screen was full , I hope this helps ...:Namaste:

I let my vege for 9 weeks , which I think was perfect for me ... anything different I didn't have a ph meter to check the ph of my water , after getting the water probe I was shocked to see that my normal tap water had a ph of 8 , I now have a ph meter so I can adjust the ph of my water before watering and the plants are responding so much better. I have 34 days left for flowering so I think I caught it in tame but we will see how the buds look after the 34 days are up . I have about 12 good size bud grown and about 10 small ones lets see how they get on !

All due respect, but, I have to disagree ...

One plant per sq foot is a SOG - - - not a SCROG. A sea of green is one plant per sq foot, started to flower as a clone. You are going for ONE large cola per plant.

A SCROG is one plant per 10 sq feet or so. I use six plants on a 4 x 8 table. And a purist Scrog Grower would wrinkle their nose at that many.

There are many and detailed instructions on a scrog. Only a few are listed below:
1) One plant per 10 sq feet.
2) Need a genetic that is predisposed to side branching. My fav is C99 Cindy.
3) Use wire mesh, not cloth. Cloth will get grown into the buds, wire won't. And you won't cut it when pruning. I use wire fencing 2" x 4".
4) Train the branches to fill in bare areas. Keep the big fan leaves cut off (pruning).
5) Cut all vegetation off more than 4" below the screen.
6) Veg until 75% of the screen is filled, then flip to flower. Don't fill it to 100% then flip.

There is SO much more to know. But, this is THE way to grow indoors in my not-so-humble opinion. I run three 4 x 8 tables with 3600 watts over them and produce over 1 gram per watt consistently.

Do a lot of research here, and other places before you start this project. There is a lot of very useful info on line on this subject and there's no point in me doing it again.

I encourage you to do this, but I also warn you to do your homework before you do. Learn the difference between a SOG and a SCROG.

~ Auggie ~
Hey, Auggie, can you advise me on my current grow. Please look and tell me how to make my grow yield the most. Thanks in advance!

To SCROG was one of the best decisions I made. This is my first grow.
I read here on this thread that some people are actually "tying" the plants down to the top of the scrog. This seems like more work with simmilar results. I "tuck" under the net and find it quick and easy. To each their own.

Attachments

• 20190127_224252.jpg
    20190127_224252.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 257
If I could jump in here, I don't tuck just before the switch. It is good to have about 5-6 inches of growth above the scrog net. The main thing is to tuck until all the lower branches you want to develop have done so. I also defoliate during the vegging, a couple of times, to slow down the vertical growth and encourage new branches to develop. Once the canopy is full and you are satisfied with the progress of the plants, you put them in flower at 12/12. Stretch is dependent on your strain. For example, the plants I'm growing tend to not stretch much after veg. So you have to plan accordingly.

All due respect, but, I have to disagree ...

One plant per sq foot is a SOG - - - not a SCROG. A sea of green is one plant per sq foot, started to flower as a clone. You are going for ONE large cola per plant.

A SCROG is one plant per 10 sq feet or so. I use six plants on a 4 x 8 table. And a purist Scrog Grower would wrinkle their nose at that many.

There are many and detailed instructions on a scrog. Only a few are listed below:
1) One plant per 10 sq feet.
2) Need a genetic that is predisposed to side branching. My fav is C99 Cindy.
3) Use wire mesh, not cloth. Cloth will get grown into the buds, wire won't. And you won't cut it when pruning. I use wire fencing 2" x 4".
4) Train the branches to fill in bare areas. Keep the big fan leaves cut off (pruning).
5) Cut all vegetation off more than 4" below the screen.
6) Veg until 75% of the screen is filled, then flip to flower. Don't fill it to 100% then flip.

There is SO much more to know. But, this is THE way to grow indoors in my not-so-humble opinion. I run three 4 x 8 tables with 3600 watts over them and produce over 1 gram per watt consistently.

Do a lot of research here, and other places before you start this project. There is a lot of very useful info on line on this subject and there's no point in me doing it again.

I encourage you to do this, but I also warn you to do your homework before you do. Learn the difference between a SOG and a SCROG.

~ Auggie ~
I have to concur.

To SCROG was one of the best decisions I made. This is my first grow.
I read here on this thread that some people are actually "tying" the plants down to the top of the scrog. This seems like more work with simmilar results. I "tuck" under the net and find it quick and easy. To each their own.
It seems there are as many scrog-types as there are people. :) I personally think one should be aiming for colas as long as on a non-scrogged plant.

It seems there are as many scrog-types as there are people. :) I personally think one should be aiming for colas as long as on a non-scrogged plant.
I believe that would all depend on the grower's patience. Once the scrog is filled out with enough room for stretch It would need to be left alone for another two weeks or so in order for all the additional tops to grow up to the desired height above the scrog before switching to flower in order to obtain longer colas. This is why some people use two scrog's. One seems to space and spread out the plant during veg and the second is placed down over the colas during early flower to help support the weight as the colas bulk up.

I believe that would all depend on the grower's patience. Once the scrog is filled out with enough room for stretch It would need to be left alone for another two weeks or so in order for all the additional tops to grow up to the desired height above the scrog before switching to flower in order to obtain longer colas. This is why some people use two scrog's. One seems to space and spread out the plant during veg and the second is placed down over the colas during early flower to help support the weight as the colas bulk up.
The way I'm seeing scrog, is that it is a means for a plant to grow to its full size indoors. I haven't done one yet but I've grown several normally. The part I''m having trouble visualizing is how stretch goes under scrog and maximizing the cola length. The cola really starts when the branches start alternating, if I remember correctly in a normal grow, so I would be aiming to get the start of the alternating branches at net level. Any thoughts about that?

As far as patience goes, I want the plant to realise its potential and will veg it until it clearly wants to flower, so my time is open. The plant I've started is a cross between Orange Bud and California Orange.

The way I'm seeing scrog, is that it is a means for a plant to grow to its full size indoors. I haven't done one yet but I've grown several normally. The part I''m having trouble visualizing is how stretch goes under scrog and maximizing the cola length. The cola really starts when the branches start alternating, if I remember correctly in a normal grow, so I would be aiming to get the start of the alternating branches at net level. Any thoughts about that?

As far as patience goes, I want the plant to realise its potential and will veg it until it clearly wants to flower, so my time is open. The plant I've started is a cross between Orange Bud and California Orange.

Yes, I would agree that a scrog is probably well utilized if placed close to where the alternating nodes begin. At least it sounds good in theory. I decided tonight that I will not put a scrog on this next grow. I started hand training them tonight. If I don't see the desired results starting by the end of the week I will resort to the scrog. It served me 400 grams with 315 watts of light last grow so I don't mind doing that again.

Yes, I would agree that a scrog is probably well utilized if placed close to where the alternating nodes begin. At least it sounds good in theory. I decided tonight that I will not put a scrog on this next grow. I started hand training them tonight. If I don't see the desired results starting by the end of the week I will resort to the scrog. It served me 400 grams with 315 watts of light last grow so I don't mind doing that again.
Is that 315w a CMH light?

Back
Top Bottom