How To Distinguish Bad Weed From Good Weed

420 Warrior

Rosin-Tech-Weed_07-1536x1023.jpg

What is top-shelf weed?
First, let's cover our bases and go over the common terms used when shopping for good weed.

“Flower” refers to the dried and cured female cannabis plant's blooms, often called “nugs” or “buds.”

Flower is typically intoxicating — THC content is the primary indicator of euphoric potency — but some flower has high CBD content and will produce less intoxicating effects.

Rosin-Tech-Weed_63-768x432.jpg

“Flower” refers to the dried and cured female cannabis plant's blooms, often called “nugs” or “buds.”Photo by: Gina

The best smoking experiences, edibles, tinctures — even CBD oil — often come from the best source material, or “top-shelf bud.

”In terms of slang, premium weed is also commonly referred to as the “loud,” “fire,” “dank,” and “Private Reserve.” Low-grade weed is often referred to as “schwag,” “brick,” “ditch,” and “bunk” weed.

Identifying high-quality flower can throw even the most experienced cannabis connoisseurs for a loop, but the key traits that separate good weed from bad weed are smell, appearance, feel, and flower structure.

In this article, we'll break down all four and offer tips for spotting the good stuff and avoiding the bad.

What to look for in good weed
1. Smell: Cannabis cultivated and cured to the highest standards typically exhibits a pungent and pleasant aroma.

Flowers emitting a strong fragrance are commonly referred to as having a “dank” or “loud” odor, indicating the overall quality of the flower.

There are a variety of terms for the types of aromas high-quality cannabis emits, including skunk, diesel, and pine. The common denominator is that a good-smelling flower is distinct, pungent, and unmistakable.

The stronger the fragrance is, the more nuanced the experience is likely to be.

2. Look: High-end flower, like fresh, healthy produce, provides a few visual hints to help you determine its quality. While all good cannabis should be visually appealing, a top-shelf strain can easily display a vibrant array of colors.

Good-quality flowers are often a deep green with flaming orange or red hairs. They can also express colors from deep purple to bright blue.
GoodWeed_15-1-768x512.jpg

While all good cannabis should be visually appealing, a top-shelf strain can easily display a vibrant array of colors.Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps

Another important visual indicator of good weed is the amount and viability of trichomes.

Trichomes are the tiny, glimmering crystal-like appendages on the plant's surface that create and hold the compounds responsible for the flower's smell, flavor, and effects.

The more frosty trichomes you can see with the naked eye, the better indicator of the flower's intoxicating and therapeutic potency.

If your eyesight has seen better days or you want to get up close, use a magnifying glass to get an even better sense of a nug's trichomes.

3. Feel: Top-shelf flower should be sticky and slightly spongy when you touch or gently squeeze it between your fingers. Stems should snap and the bud should be relatively easy to break apart, but shouldn't be completely dry or crumble when you touch it.

Alternatively, buds shouldn't be too wet or soft, since these have a higher chance of developing or containing mold or mildew.

4. Flower structure: Skillfully cultivated and cured sativa-leaning flowers tend to be light and fluffy in shape and composition, while indicas tend to be tighter and denser in flower structure.

Though the structure and the experience you end up having usually have little to do with each other. Rock-hard flowers are a sign that cultivators may have used plant growth regulators, which can lead to an unpleasant taste.

Extremely fluffy flowers could be a signal that the plant was not grown under sufficient light intensity and was not cultivated to its potential.

While top-shelf flower is the hallmark of a great dispensary, good flower comes in many shapes and sizes and has more than a few nicknames.

Other qualities to look for in good weed
There are a few other quality benchmarks to consider when tracking down the best weed.

Dr. Adie Rae, a neuroscientist at the Legacy Research Institute in Portland, Oregon, and scientific adviser to Weedmaps, pinpointed three more key indicators of weed quality: ethical cultivation, ethical companies, and diverse chemistry.

1. Ethical cultivation: Rae emphasized that ethical cultivation avoids synthetic fertilizers, uses living soil, and practices sustainable agriculture.

"Look for Clean Green Certified, Sun+Earth, or other organic products and producers who use regenerative agricultural practices. Sungrown cannabis often ticks all of these boxes,” Rae advised.

2. Ethical companies: Small, craft producers and family-owned businesses are often the most ethical, according to Rae. "Look for women-, Black-, and minority-owned producers… large corporations are paying more attention to yield and profits than plants," she stated.

3. Diverse cannabinoids: A diverse cannabinoid and terpene profile is desirable in CBD products. Rae recommended that consumers ask to see the Certificate of Analysis before making a purchase.

The certificate provides a comprehensive list of cannabinoids contained in the product in addition to therapeutic terpenes and any potential contaminants such as pesticides or heavy metals.

How do I know if it's bad weed?

1. Smell: Low-quality flower can take on a variety of quirky fragrances, which typically means a batch of bad weed.

Often referred to as “schwag” or “bottom shelf,” these low-end buds can reek of a musty or mildewy aroma. A musty or straw-like aroma is a clear indication of aged or compromised cannabis.

Typically, when stored away from light and heat, cannabis has around a one-year shelf life before starting to really degrade. Unpleasant aromas are generally a sign of mishandling, poorly cured cannabis, or advanced age.

181107_Learn_037-768x432.jpg

Unpleasant aromas are generally a sign of mishandling, poorly cured cannabis, or advanced age.Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps

2. Look: The appearance of low-quality flower is distinct. It can come in the form of discolored flower or an abundance of stems and seeds. There are many reasons flower can become discolored ranging from mold and age to pesticides and chemicals.

The bottom line is that you don't want to buy it, let alone smoke it. One very important indicator of bad weed is the appearance of amber-colored trichomes.

With time, light, and heat, trichomes turn from clear to an amber hue. This is a dead giveaway that you've been swindled into last year's harvest.

A sad sight, low-quality cannabis is seen in many shades of degradation. From dirt brown to an immature lime green flower, nature provides several visual clues when you're looking at a good plant gone bad.

3. Feel: When flower is of a lower quality, it will often be dry or brittle to the touch. Dry bud will feel light and airy with no weight behind it, unlike dense, sticky flower.

Additionally, bad weed will easily crumble when handled, or might even be falling apart. Loose, undone flower is called “shake” and should be avoided.

Overly “wet” buds have stems that don't snap and tend to stay put when squeezed. The extra moisture content makes for the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew.

Wet nugs that tear apart rather than break apart are a sign that a cultivator didn't properly dry and cure their cannabis.

4. Flower structure: Poor flower structure can be easily detected with a discerning eye.

While a properly cultivated flower will often be aesthetically pleasing, a carelessly grown plant can produce inferior-looking flowers.

Though a plant's structure really says nothing about its chemical composition, it can still tell a story. Improper lighting or growing conditions can lead to “fluffy” or “airy” nugs, and while they may contain high levels of cannabinoids and terpenes, their density is still widely and harshly dismissed by the cannabis community.

Other indicators of bad weed
You may think you're getting better quality bud with a sky-high THC concentration, but Dr. Rae dispels this myth. She cited THC levels above 20% as a red flag and told Weedmaps, "Lab tests are not as accurate as they may seem, and there are financial incentives for labs to produce increasingly higher THC values. Especially with flowers labeled around 30%, be very wary of fraudulent lab results."

Rae also pointed out that there is not necessarily a relationship between enjoyment and THC potency. Distinguishing between enjoyment and intoxication, Rae asserted, "You can still have a very nice experience with 5-10% THC."

Is expensive weed always good?
And is cheap weed always bad? Rae suggested that a low price point could indicate an older product past its shelf life but said that sometimes, "You can often get a nice-smelling, fresh flower for a good value. Beware if a pricey flower has a high THC level, but often a high price reflects the extra care and attention required to make a truly craft product."

Check the harvest date and test the aroma before buying weed that appears unreasonably cheap. Marijuana that doesn't pass the smell test just might be dirt weed. The bottom line, however, is that finding good weed depends on your personal taste.

Bottom line
The search for high-quality flower doesn't have to be complicated. With a discerning eye (and nose), even novice cannabis smokers will be able to easily separate the high-quality buds from the bad.

But at the end of the day, it's all about what you like when you smoke weed. What you prefer might be different from what the local budtender, delivery driver, or your friend likes.

There are hundreds of strains grown by thousands of cultivators. The goal is to find the right strain for you.

It's simply about finding the right product that works with your personal chemistry by a brand or cultivator that you like and can thus enjoy over and over again.

So get out there, look for the four main indicators to understand what you're getting — smell, look, feel, and flower structure. Then you'll find a quality weed strain that best suits your personal taste.

Reviewed by Jared Leighty on 9/8/20

As I'm sure most people here at the Mag already kinda know these things because there are a lot of you that live in legal states and have had the pleasure of buying from a legal dispensary.

I mainly posted this because I see a need for people who are either new to the Cannabis world or haven't had the pleasure of experiencing for themselves an actual legal dispensary, in which that's the category I fall under because of the illegality of Cannabis in my state.

The "Bad Weed" they describe sounds like so many bags of old school Mexican swag I've bought over the years, because there was little choice back then and if you wanted to enjoy smoking Cannabis, there weren't any "choices" to choose from.

You either bought what your dealer had or you went without, either way you were at the mercy of the black market and what they had available at the time.

My how far we've come...

As I'm sure most people here at the Mag already kinda know these things because there are a lot of you that live in legal states and have had the pleasure of buying from a legal dispensary.

Yeah ones first time in a Dispensary can be the "kid in a candy store" and you are overwhelmed by selection and have a hard time deciding (varies by Dispensary as to how many choices can be 5-10 or 40 different Strains). After about the 4th time I got to where I usually knew what I wanted before I got there or just tell the budtender what I was wanting and go with what they recommend (but can vary how much their know their stuff so kind of a trial and error until you find one that their folks are knowledgeable).

I'm sure it'll be like that for me too when I finally get to go to a legal dispensary, but at least I've had the pleasure of coming here and getting educated, so I'll have more of an idea of what I'm looking for in a strain because I know the kind of effect I'm looking for already.

I know I like an energetic, creative and focus strain, so I'm thinking "Jack Herer" will be one of my first choices, along with Chemdog, because I've read that many entertainers use it for it's creative experience. Also, AK47 is on my list because it's my favorite strain to grow and I fell in love with everything about it back when I grew it.

Believe me when I say that not many Georgians have educated themselves like I have, so most everyone here will be blown away by the experience of finally having "choices" and I fully intend on becoming a "Budtender" myself, if and when it does becomes legal here.

I fully intend on becoming a "Budtender" myself, if and when it does becomes legal here.

budtender is the lowest form of retail employment here. they make minimum wage or just above.
budtenders know as much about that "top shelf" as the low wage clerk behind a till at the liquor store knows about the $3000 bottle of cognac in the locked cabinet - nada.

the more corporate the dispensary is, the less knowledge you will find inside.

i know a few in the industry. bud tenders are trained to make recommendations on price alone. nothing else. they are not educated on thc, terpenes, cannabinoids, ... anything. the owners don't bother to train them up since it is a rotating door job and they typically only work 3 -6 months before moving to the next job. same as any other retail outlet.

budtender is the lowest form of retail employment here. they make minimum wage or just above.
budtenders know as much about that "top shelf" as the low wage clerk behind a till at the liquor store knows about the $3000 bottle of cognac in the locked cabinet - nada.

the more corporate the dispensary is, the less knowledge you will find inside.

i know a few in the industry. bud tenders are trained to make recommendations on price alone. nothing else. they are not educated on thc, terpenes, cannabinoids, ... anything. the owners don't bother to train them up since it is a rotating door job and they typically only work 3 -6 months before moving to the next job. same as any other retail outlet.

Ok, thank you, I didn't know that...Maybe something else then? Cultivator?

So what does one do with their knowledge of Cannabis, once it becomes legal in their state? Is it just wasted knowledge? I don't have the funding to become a dispensary owner so...?

Obviously I'm super passionate about Cannabis so I want to do something in the industry, but what?

Ok, thank you, I didn't know that...Maybe something else then? Cultivator?

So what does one do with their knowledge of Cannabis, once it becomes legal in their state? Is it just wasted knowledge? I don't have the funding to become a dispensary owner so...?

Obviously I'm super passionate about Cannabis so I want to do something in the industry, but what?

once the market opens up it becomes corporate. it hasn't quite got there in the states due to the federal prohibition. that has so far had a positive effect on supporting smaller businesses in the emerging industry stateside.

in canada it is mostly corporate, as the industry is much further developed. as such, it is exactly the same as working for starbucks, at the retail store level. with the distinction being, subsequent employers will view that experience in a much dimmer light.

you can carve a place out for yourself in the industry, but you wanna be further up the food chain with the education that it requires.

employers in the industry here are looking for business degrees above all, agrologists, botanists etc. the exact same thing you would find in higher end greenhouse food production.

there is some specialization with the plant, but not near as much as you would think.

Think it varies on where you are and the clientele to a point, but yeah Dispensaries don't pay their workers big money as usually the States get carried away with giving out growing licenses to anyone that pays the license fee, and the value tanks as a "supply and demand" thing like other "non essentials". But folks looking for a certain medicine will pay slightly more for folks that are knowledgeable and sell products they need. bit different with the Rec market. And for some folks working in the Industry is basically a dream job to them, and doesn't really take a ton of learning to become knowledgeable other than so many Strains and more come out all the time does make it a bit harder. Kind of like folks in the Pacific NW will pay $5 for their fancy espresso drinks and folks in the Midwest/South are like "$5 for a coffee? they are freaking nuts" ;) :rofl:

so far the market here has had a mix of local and corporate owned, with corporate slowly buying up and squeezing out the local.

if you wanna know what dispensaries are gonna look like, google tweed. corporate and now global. they designed the stores based on the starbucks model.

Ahh yes. Back in the day in California we only got what the dealer had. If you were lucky you had a couple different people to call. There was either "brown", going for $60-$80 an oz. "Breen" a little better than brown but not the best. $25-$30 an 1/8th or dig deep for the $150 an oz. Or "green". That green could run $50-$60 an 1/8th then! Good stuff too. Piney or skunky. I have enjoyed them all. Even some brick weed from Mexico that was smuggled over in the gas tank. Hahaha. Reeked of gasoline but got us high as hell. ROFL...dear Lord what have i smoked?! Weed smashed sooo much that i could hold an oz in my hand. Good luck breaking up a joint! Hahahaha. Good times.

here's a look at the future of retail cannabis ...

fries with that ?

Thank you guys for the heads up :thanks:

There's a corporate CBD chain here in GA that is looking for affiliates to get in on and open new shops and I'm considering looking into that because the lady there I talked to said they are poised to be in on the ground floor as soon as Cannabis is legalized here, maybe that's an avenue for me? IDK?

They are one of the few I've found here that have their products tested and certified for quality so they're legit as best I can tell...Maybe a good fit?

Ahh yes. Back in the day in California we only got what the dealer had. If you were lucky you had a couple different people to call. There was either "brown", going for $60-$80 an oz. "Breen" a little better than brown but not the best. $25-$30 an 1/8th or dig deep for the $150 an oz. Or "green". That green could run $50-$60 an 1/8th then! Good stuff too. Piney or skunky. I have enjoyed them all. Even some brick weed from Mexico that was smuggled over in the gas tank. Hahaha. Reeked of gasoline but got us high as hell. ROFL...dear Lord what have i smoked?! Weed smashed sooo much that i could hold an oz in my hand. Good luck breaking up a joint! Hahahaha. Good times.

No doubt brother, us old timers had to take what we could get or what we could afford at the time due to availability issues...But we had fun doing it anyway :roorrip:

There's a corporate CBD chain here in GA that is looking for affiliates to get in on and open new shops and I'm considering looking into that because the lady there I talked to said they are poised to be in on the ground floor as soon as Cannabis is legalized here, maybe that's an avenue for me? IDK?

find out what their business model is. here it is a mix of corporate owned with local retail franchise outlets. they are probably looking for investors to build and manage the retail outlets.

edit : there is an investment group here that partnered with tweed. they open and manage the shops.

What about the Paraquat scare back in the day?:( Been there done that:rollit:
What gets me is here in Missouri the state has collected a lot of $$$ on fees, cultivation licenses etc... for patients who qualify for the medicine yet the vast majority don't have a reliable source of medicine. Some cannot afford to grow it for various reasons and have to get what they can. No new dispensaries, most awaiting some form of inspection or processing of documentation. Progress is lost in a quagmire of officials and all.

Affiliate Store Information Request Form
Why PURELY CBD? Do you have a desire to be a part of the CBD craze, but want to be sure you join the right team? Look no further. We are growing extremely fast for good reason. Once you become an affiliate, you will immediately receive access to all the information you could possibly need to run a successful CBD store. We will provide assistance with everything from paint colors to advertising. Request information immediately and don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity. Don’t wait any longer, join our team and capitalize on this rapidly growing industry.

This is the info for the CBD shop I'm thinking of getting in on. The one I've been going to is very clean and seems to have more of a Mom and Pop feel to it, which is appealing to me.

I talked a little bit about it with the nice lady that runs it and she said they were poised to move straight into the Cannabis end of it as soon as it's legalized and I'm thinking the timing is right now if I want to be there when the flood gates open.

Can't hurt to try, right?

by the look they are essentially selling a franchise. they want money from you up front for you to run a location under their brand. comes down to how much you feel like risking. you might as well give it a shot if it's a growing brand with good recognition, and you have access to the million or so it would take.

you can carve a place out for yourself in the industry, but you wanna be further up the food chain with the education that it requires.

employers in the industry here are looking for business degrees above all, agrologists, botanists etc. the exact same thing you would find in higher end greenhouse food production.

:bravo: :thumb::adore:

my son is a friend of this fella,,

by the look they are essentially selling a franchise. they want money from you up front for you to run a location under their brand. comes down to how much you feel like risking. you might as well give it a shot if it's a growing brand with good recognition, and you have access to the million or so it would take.

Yea I totally agree and get that it's a long shot and a lot to take in and figure out the funding for as well as more research needed and questions asked for sure, it's definitely nothing to take lightly, but can you only imagine being poised to be in on the ground floor when our beloved Cannabis plant finally becomes legal here in the bible belt? I'm sure some of you guys felt the same way in your legal states, right? Remember when things were building up and you knew legalization was imminent? I can only imagine the excitement in the air you guys must have felt...Amazing, right? That's how I'm just now starting to feel, little by little, article by article that I read and post...

I know I'm probably just grasping at straws, But it seriously could turn out to be very lucrative here in GA because everyone I've told about that CBD shop selling bud, their eyes light up and their all tripping out that we can actually get different strains of fairly decent smokable cured flower here in Georgia now, even though it is just the CBD flower...It's seriously blowing people's minds when they find out the first time, everyone's excited, as am I!

So yea, if there's any way possible for me to get in the Canna-Biz, I'm there people.

I'm actually a manager at my work, so I do have some management skills under my belt going for me, also the little lady is in management as well and numbers are her jam! so...? Hmmm, food for thought there?

If I had to make a stab at a guess or a timeline, we're probably looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of between 3 to 7 years before Cannabis legalization will finally make it here to GA, all depending on elections of course and the wise or dumb ass decision's made, but at some point it will finally make it here, so if someone could actually see the lottery numbers before they fall, wouldn't you want to play those numbers? :hmmmm: ;)

Nevertheless, even if it's longer before the "Canna-Rush" or the "Canna-Tsunami" (if you will) = finally makes here, I'm thinking that the CBD herb will start taking off pretty strong until that finally happens, especially if it's being sold in a clean dispensary type of setting.

Once more word gets out it's going to be on with most everybody, especially amongst the older generation, the ones who can't take getting super high off of so many of today's powerful meds, In fact, the feedback I'm getting from that age group is that it's too strong now-days, but I'm thinking the CBD flower as well as other products like tinctures may be just right for them? I'm actually great with the elderly too, I can talk history all day long, as history is my jam.

I could teach them how to vape their meds and they would love it and I would love educating them and making them feel comfortable with our beloved Cannabis plant in the process...It's a win-win!

It's the stuff that dreams are made of for me, it's my passion, a guy can dream, right?

all i can tell you is the independent dispensary owners here are squeezed on one side by a black market that undercuts them with better prices and product, and by three levels of gov't increasingly favoring a corporate model on the other.

we started in my region with 8 dispensary licenses awarded. 7 went to local one went corporate. one yr later one global franchise controls 3, another controls 2, and the three private licences have been forced to form a co-op or face selling to one of the other two corporate models.

it's big money and a long game. no one's making it now.

Back
Top Bottom