I feel like I'm wasting my seeds

Greenlizard

I'm starting to grow quite concerned. I bought two packs of seeds from a very reparable vender from this site. Followed their instructions exactly but nothing is popping up above the soil's surface... I think they are dead.
Perhaps I will go into detail with what I have done and someone might be able to point out my problem?
I washed my hands well and used only clean surfaces while handling my seeds. I placed them into a small glass of room temperature water, sank the seeds, removed them after 18 hours. Some were split some were not. The instructions clearly state that I should not exceed 18 hours of submersion. The seeds were then moved to paper towel on a clean plate. The paper towel was folded 3 times and saturated with water. I poured off any excess water. The plate was then put above my fridge where it is dark and warm. About 75 - 77 degrees. I check the paper towel twice per day (morning and night) to make sure it is still good and damp. After about 3 days a few of the seeds have had germinated with nice tap roots and most have not. Some have not even cracked open. After the 4th day in paper towel I planted them into my humidome or what ever you call it with the proper soil about 1/2 an inch under the surface or maybe even a little less. I gently cover them over and dampen the soil. My humidome allows water to be under the soil tray to allow moisture wicking as I'm sure most do. My grow room under T5 lights is about 76 degrees and about 70 degrees with the lights off. They have been in there now for about 6 days. I still have nothing happening above the surface. My soil was never watered since because the humidome has kept it very moist. I am using tap water. I have a water softener on my system (not sure if that matters since I have read a lot of MIXED reviews to say the least).
I have now opened my second package of seeds and have started the germination process again but I feel I am on another course for failure and will now be out a couple hundred bucks for seeds... I see all these stories of people popping plants above the surface in as little as 2 and 3 days by just putting the seeds straight into those little pucks but my seed supplier suggests against that method... What to do?

Try slightly increasing the temp. Do your thing, once they are in the soaked paper towel and on the plate, set them on top of you wireless router of something that give off the slightest amount of heat. Try it on a few before doing it to all your seeds.
Works for me.

Hot soil? Maybe? What are you using for medium in the starting cups?

Sounds like everything was going pretty normal until that step...

:passitleft:

....or, they are just playing peek-a-boo and will pop up any day now...

Hope you see em soon buddy!
-P:ganjamon:

Is the soil wet below the surface??? Say an inch or two

Did you plant seed head up or down in soil

Thank you for the reply. I did plant the seeds head up. The tap root was down.
Also the soil is saturated top to bottom. Maybe I should take the lid off my humidome to decrease the moisture?

Hot soil? Maybe? What are you using for medium in the starting cups?

Sounds like everything was going pretty normal until that step...

....or, they are just playing peek-a-boo and will pop up any day now...

Hope you see em soon buddy!
-P:ganjamon:

Thank you for the reply. I am at work now and can't read you the exact info from my soil bale. I bought a big bale from my local hydroponics store. It's what they recommended to me. I will check on that when I get home. Thanks.

I spray my soil every few days until they sprout. Moist not saturated. Perhaps watering from below is causing problems. I start mine in coco coir with a little soil for the great drainage and extra oxygen at the roots. It is very hard to overwater. Your little taproot needs oxygen as well as moisture to grow.

I spray my soil every few days until they sprout. Moist not saturated. Perhaps watering from below is causing problems. I start mine in coco coincided with a little soil for the great drainage and extra oxygen at the roots. It is very hard to overwater. Your little taproot needs oxygen as well as moisture to grow.
Same!
:high-five:
They get the sprayer bottle until they are above soil for a week or so here. I give a good saturation of the top1/2" of soil daily...or more if necessary.
They normally surface within 3-4 days of planting. But, I plant a bit deeper to try preventing "helmet head". I know this method takes patience that I do not possess, but still do it every time because it's been working for me. LoL :rofl:

Think I was around 90% germ rate on this current crop of 10 plants. :high-five: I'll take it!

I might be a bit of a chicken-shit still about seedlings, but that is one growth phase where I don't push my luck. Rarely will I change any part of the process; even when I watch all these other people successfully use other methods. #stubbornaboutseedlings
LoL

I'm starting to grow quite concerned. I bought two packs of seeds from a very reparable vender from this site. Followed their instructions exactly but nothing is popping up above the soil's surface... I think they are dead.
Perhaps I will go into detail with what I have done and someone might be able to point out my problem?
I washed my hands well and used only clean surfaces while handling my seeds. I placed them into a small glass of room temperature water, sank the seeds, removed them after 18 hours. Some were split some were not. The instructions clearly state that I should not exceed 18 hours of submersion. The seeds were then moved to paper towel on a clean plate. The paper towel was folded 3 times and saturated with water. I poured off any excess water. The plate was then put above my fridge where it is dark and warm. About 75 - 77 degrees. I check the paper towel twice per day (morning and night) to make sure it is still good and damp. After about 3 days a few of the seeds have had germinated with nice tap roots and most have not. Some have not even cracked open. After the 4th day in paper towel I planted them into my humidome or what ever you call it with the proper soil about 1/2 an inch under the surface or maybe even a little less. I gently cover them over and dampen the soil. My humidome allows water to be under the soil tray to allow moisture wicking as I'm sure most do. My grow room under T5 lights is about 76 degrees and about 70 degrees with the lights off. They have been in there now for about 6 days. I still have nothing happening above the surface. My soil was never watered since because the humidome has kept it very moist. I am using tap water. I have a water softener on my system (not sure if that matters since I have read a lot of MIXED reviews to say the least).
I have now opened my second package of seeds and have started the germination process again but I feel I am on another course for failure and will now be out a couple hundred bucks for seeds... I see all these stories of people popping plants above the surface in as little as 2 and 3 days by just putting the seeds straight into those little pucks but my seed supplier suggests against that method... What to do?
TRY TO STAY FOCUS, WOW I KNOW HOW YOU ABOUT SPENDING THAT I'M A NOVICE GROWER WHEN IT COMES TO CANNABIS, I GERMINATED MY SEEDS IN WATER SOAKED FOR 24 HRS, PUT THEM IN A NAPKIN & ZIPLOC BAG (DARKNESS) SAYING THAT TO SAY THIS YOU SAW A TAPROOT I NEVER SAW A TAPROOT I GOT FRUSTRATED I PLANTED ONE OF THE SEAS IN THE SOIL ABOUT AN EIGHTH OF AN INCH DOWN PUT THE SOIL OVER IT THROUGH MY LIGHT BULB ON IT WHAT IT IT EVERY 3 DAYS AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT I HAD A PLANT GROWING IF YOU LOOK AT MY PICTURES I'M THE EPITOME OF THE GHETTO GROWER THAT'S WHY MY TAGS ARE TAG GHETTO GROWER... MY PLANT GOT ATE BY MY CAT MY PLANT GOT TOP AT THE FIRST NODE MY PLANT GOT BAKED AND NOW IT'S OVER 12 AND 1/2 IN TALL I'M STILL WAITING TO FIND OUT THE SEX OF IT BECAUSE I WANT TO MALE HONESTLY CUZ I WANT TO GET MY OWN SEEDS ANYWAY STAY PATIENT HAPPY GROW FROM YOUR FRIEND AKA THE GHETTO GROWING

What I do is ph my water to 5.9 place the seed in the cup and I’ll leave it there until it cracks open. Then I take a seed plug. And soak it in root boosters and ph water. Give her a really good shake you don’t want it to wet. Then I’ll place my fresh cracked seed in the plug and gently cover it The key to a successful germination is warmth and moist to simulate the coming of the new season.

6 days and no show is awhile, worth checking it out

Well I came home to good and bad news... Bad news is that I dug up my seeds and they all look the same as when they first went in but they are dead. No tap roots. Must have rotted in the wet soil.
Good news is I checked on my other seeds I put into paper towel and they are mostly growing tiny tap roots and one already started growing its leaves and was about 1 1/2 inches long. I planted him.

Attachments

• 20181016_191722.jpg
    20181016_191722.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 91
Here is how I germinate my seeds and I get 98% germination rate.
I do not soak them in water first.
I use Rapid Rooter cubes like these,

71ATTw7BhjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Plant Starters, 50 Plugs

I then place them in my dome and spray the inside of the dome and put about a 1/4" of water in the bottom of the dome.
Then i put the dome on a germinating mat and place that in a dark space.
I then wait a few days until i see the tap root coming out the bottom of the cube.
Then I just plant it in my medium.
This method of germinating is the most successful way that I have tried and I have tried just about every way there is to do it.
The paper towel method is not the best way since the tap root can get damaged very easily.
If they're in the rapid rooter cube the tap root stays protected.
Good luck with your grow.

Back
Top Bottom