Indoor Grow July 2009 : AustralianQ1 CaliGDP CaliSSH CaliOrange DutchWidowSkunk

I was thinking, you're veging under hps right? More red light produces more males, as does longer light hours, and heat. As far as I can figure, if it's cool, short hours, and bluer light, than the seeds think(?) it's spring, so they are more likely to be female. On the other hand, red light, long hours, heat, may have the plant think summer, meaning it needs to produce males to pollinate the females that started in the spring? Just a thought.

Thanks for the heads up everyone. As a general rule, I just grow the Q1 and as it is feminised I ususually do not see anything other than tiny male flowers that I can keep or simply knock off. Even then, the ones I leave on the Q1 may not even mature.

Funnily enough, when I had my last grow indoors, I had the Q1, B52 and Bubblegum growing at the same time, same conditions lights, etc. That grow I got all female plants, except for the 2 Bgum plants I had in 1 pot, spoke about this previously.

I guess, and this is just a guess at best, it was bound to happen that I would get a few males sooner or later!! LOL

Have great news though on the other CASSH and GDP plants I have growing in there. They are starting to show female sexing!! The Q1 is starting to show the usual sexing (female) and the Bubblegum clone I have is female.

So out of the 11 plants I had to start with, the 3 WS are definetly male, all outside, the GDP and the CASSH are starting to show, but I am going to keep them going a bit longer in the grow room, as they are showing the same characteristics as the Q1 does, so it may be a bit too early to send them outside.

Nothing yet as far as sexing goes with the CaliOrange?? Hoping hard she is female, as I intend on breeding in the WS. If the GDP stays male, I will cross into the Q1, for the colour and growth mainly, and the CASSH into the Bubblegum.

Also, have some VenturaGold to go into the room within the next week ,so I will still have my plant number up around 10, with the others (male plants) outside to be used for pollen collection.

Again, thanks everyone for the support and comments.

Room reshuffle DAY 33

Have moved all the male plants outside, so I have been able to reshuffle all the plants now into their positions for the rest of the grow. Am including pictures of the Boys outside and the Girls indoors.

Day_331.JPG

Boys_outdoor.JPG

Just went outside, here about 8.45am, and all the boys are OK in the outdoors. The WS is starting to get a bit of purple colouration, and the Cali Boys are not unhappy in the cold? Which I was suprised at, but have read it gets cold at night West Coast, so I am looking forward to seeing if they colour up like the WS has so far.

The girls are all happy, no suprises there with no boys around (LOL).

GDP CASSH CaliOrange are all sexing up nicely, Q1 is as usual powering into pre flowering, growing a new set of leaves daily, and the Bubblegum clone, which replaced the WS, is kicking hard up at the light.

Increasing to 1000W has really made a difference in growth and overall vigour. Have not even had to use the oil heater as the room is getting PLENTY of warmth from the 1000.

COME ON SEPTEMBER!!!!!

Day 35

Since introducing the 1000Watt light the plants have really exploded in growth.
All the boys outside are happy as well. I am starting to see the flowers open and have started collecting pollen from them.

Day_35_1.JPG

Day_351.JPG

Outdoor_day_3.JPG

Day 35

Since introducing the 1000Watt light the plants have really exploded in growth.
All the boys outside are happy as well. I am starting to see the flowers open and have started collecting pollen from them.

How long have you been able to keep pollen viable?

I'm curious because the pollen I collected at least 7-8 months ago from a large male in my first grow, worked just fine recently when I pollinated my largest female in the grow I just completed.

It never got moldy and still looks the same as the day I collected it. I keep it refrigerated in a very small clear plastic container.

regards,

SS

SS,

I do exactly the same as you. Collect and refrigerate until I need to use it. The longest I have kept pollen for and for it to be viable was 2 years. However, I try to use it straight from the open flower as a general rule. In a breeding programme the refrigeration works great though. Especially if there is a trait from the male you are particularly interested in keeping.

Day 35

Cali Orange Bud

Was hoping it would be female, but the stretch should have given it away, and I have a male. So will be moving him outside with the other males.
Not to worry as I still have 5 female plants and the VenturaGold to be moved into the grow room so I just have more pollen to use!!

OUTDOORS

3 Widow Skunk
1 Californian Super Silver Haze
1 Californian Orange Bud
1 Grand Daddy Purple

INDOORS

2 Australian Q1
1 Californian Super Silver Haze
1 Grand Daddy Purple
1 Indiana Bubblegum

DG, I really appreciate all the detail that you give on each strain. I have one question, How do you go about collecting the pollen from the males. do you just cut off the pollen sacs and save them, or do you wait for them to open and then brush or shake off the pollen onto some paper or plastic?

Wolfie,

What I do is now that they are outside, and there are no females in sight. I let them get really quite large flower bracts and when they are all starting to open or are very full and nearly ready to open, I cut off the branches, and put them onto paper. This allows the flowers that are open or about to open, dry out and drop the pollen onto the paper.

Either I use it straight away, or, I then place into plastic containers and freeze. Catalogueing the container, including variety and date of pollen collection then allows me to use it for further pollination and crossing.

Greenie,

SPEWING a bit about the CaliOrange being male, but its all OK. Got plenty more of the CaliOrange seed so it will only be 7 weeks until I can get a proper outdoor grow going again and I will only use the indoor for flowering earlier than Feb-Mar 2010.

Having said that, gee I have got a lot of pollen to choose from now!!!!

This is how the room looks now.

Day_35_2.JPG

Day_35_3.JPG

Hey David!

Finally got caught up on your journal! Things have been so hectic around here I barely have time to keep my journal going, let alone read all the other good ones. Your plants are looking great! I take it is is getting warm again?

This farming is turning into a full time job! Only a couple months left and I will have some semblance of a life again!

Back
Top Bottom