Indoor Grow July 2009 : AustralianQ1 CaliGDP CaliSSH CaliOrange DutchWidowSkunk

Thanks for the thought CMX,

I think if you give reps to someone's journal you, can only do it once? Not sure.

Am really impressed with how fast the Californian girls are coming on. I lost the male CASSH thought to the wind we had here. Yet, the GDP powered through, with just a little bit of leaf rip and trunk bend, but other than that he is screaming along.

DG, Sorry to hear about your loss to the winds. I really love how your indoor grows are bushed out. I assume that you did some LST on them early on. I am looking forward to seeing ongoing pictures of the flowers as they begin to take off. Your grow is a great example of very good gardening care and I am learning alot from you updates. :thanks:

G'day Wolfie,

Thanks for the kind words. In the grow room I have 1 Q1 that was outside, which I bought back inside and tipped once, as it would have been too tall had I not. There is also a Bubblegum clone in there that has branched very hard and has grown into a very branchy clone. I have said it before, but I really cannot rave enough about the BUBBLEGUM variety!!

Danksmoking,

You know you can come over here anytime and you will be totally looked after!!
To make it memorable, the first weekend in MAY is the Nimbin Cannabis Cup. I am entering again this year and I so want to beat the locals at their own game.

Ms Fox,

Thanks for the rating, I am humbled that you think so much of it.

Danksmoking,

To make it memorable, the first weekend in MAY is the Nimbin Cannabis Cup. I am entering again this year and I so want to beat the locals at their own game.

That would be great if you won that! I'm going to spend a week in the Byron Bay/Nimbin area.

For those of you from the states, right now you can get a round trip. direct flight, California to OZ for around 700 bucks!

BorntoRun,

When you get here, you know that I am going to be there with you!! Yes, it would be great to win, but you know, its the entering and being part of it that is the best part. Especially when you get a really good review or a smoker gives you the thumbs up as they are choking on a puff on a joint of your own pride and joy and handing you the joint back! Generally judging is done a bit away from the main area so the hardcore don't have to be harassed or interupted by proceeding around them, or should I say distracted by them?

Now, if they would just stop allowing the indoor hydro growers from South Australia to enter, (you know who you are!!), then the organic people like us could get a better run.

Get that ticket ASAP end of April for the NIMBIN CUP May 3-5 2010

How wind and 42 day old plants don't mix.

Over the weekend, I lost 3 plants due to the 120km hour wind we had here. Thought I would show closeup of the leaves on the GDP to show the brutal lashing it got.

Wind_hammered_day_45.JPG
Whammered_day_45.JPG

CASSH_male_day_45.JPG

Closeup of the WidowSkunk

WidowSkunk.JPG

The surviving males are throwing out some truly beautiful colouration at the moment.

Q1

day_45.JPG

G'day DG,

while looking at your latest pics, and those beautiful male flowers, I started to wonder If I could talk you into taking some pics when you harvest the pollen for breeding. I think it would help me out with trying to get an idea of how it done. :) (I tried with my only male and I don't think i did it right)

Pollination of Bubblegum with WidowSkunk Pollen

Have already started to pollinate 1 branch with pollen from the WS male but thought I would show 1 of the 2 ways I find succesful for pollination.

Firstly, I choose a very developed sack from the male and pick it just before it opens fully ripe. I find doing this allows myself to control the amount of pollen available from the flower to just the one branch.

WS_Male.JPG

The sack used is in the bottom of the picture. Fully ripe ready to open.

Pollen_sack1.JPG

Once picked and in the grow room I gently rub the flower open unti I have seperated the bananas of pollen from the flower. Thus allowing the bananas to be placed onto the chosen bud for pollination. In the picture below, you can see the yellow glisten of the pollen in the bananas.

Opened_sack_1.JPG

I then gently rub the bananas together to dislodge the pollen while it still maintains contact with the banana and apply to the bud. I can then watch the pollen attatch itself to the pistil. After a couple of days, I can even remove the bananas, roll around in my hand and any extra pollen that hasn't dislodged I can reapply to the bud. Thus reducing the amount of pollen flying around the room fertilising unwanted buds. In the picture below you can already see some of the pistils starting to brown up after accepting the pollination.

Applied_pollen_1.JPG

The most tried and faithful method of collecting pollen, letting the flower fully open and the bananas opened up and dangling, I will show here once the 1 and only viable sack on the Q1 feminised plant matures. Fingers crossed it does!!

Q1_pollen_sac.JPG

Nice - I didn't know pistils would brown up after pollenation - makes sense though.

I must have some bananas hiding out in my plants... just noticed a couple of buds I thought were turning red early.

Nice pics DGMGH - just nominated you for MOM.

Totally off topic!!

I've been seeing everyone's beautiful northern hemisphere outdoor grows and I am pining myself for the days to get longer and hotter so I can get another outdoor grow going. Here is a picture of my Q1 girls outside in early flower March 15th 2009.

Day_522.JPG

Day 47

Amazing burst of growth! Now into 2nd week of flowering, the stretch seems to have stopped now and the buds are starting to form nicely on all the girls.

Day_471.JPG

In particular, the GDP is looking really similar to the Q1. They both are showing great Sativa pheno's and are just beautiful to smell. Interestingly, the CASSH girl seems to have decided her stretch is over and she is starting to really push out the buds.

GDP
GDP_2_day_47.JPG

Q1
Day_41.JPG

The Bubblegum, yet again, shows why she is always going to have a place in my grows. The clone is 32 days old and in the pictures there is already trich's starting to appear.

Bubblegum
Bgum_day_32.JPG

Bgum_CLoseup_day_32.JPG

Amazing what 1000Watt HPS can achieve as opposed to my usual 600Watt HPS setup.

Pollination part 2 opened flower method

Have already included the method for pre flower opening. This time, I am showing how it is done by the usual flower being fully opened. Bought the Male WS back inside to show how it is done, but have moved him back out straight away.

Flower just prior to opening
008136.JPG

Opened flower pollen dangling and ready to use
001149.JPG

Pollen ready to be used
002190.JPG

Pollen on fingers
003159.JPG

Pollinated bud on Bubblegum Clone
006142.JPG

Will also show pictures of the pollination as it progresses along but in the picture above you can see the pistils starting to brown up from accepting the pollen from the previous method. By using fully opened flower pollen, it should actually speed up the pollination process. Hope this is helpful to all who are new to seed production and the process involved.

Back
Top Bottom