Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm Makes 3 - Perpetual 2000w

Re: Papa Green's Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm Makes 3 - Perpetual 2000

do you know what the bag seeds were...if pretty old, might be better to use them...or do you keep in the freezer or fridge? i know they sure sprout faster if you do....just nosey, it all sounds like fun really, love the upgrade part, just hate spending the money....stingy....rather buy seeds, but must have a good way to grow them....hugs, L and hubby:tokin::cheer:cant wait to watch..
The seeds are a variety of bag seeds. Some had names which I noted, but I can't guarantee any. They've been stored in a cool dry place.
Hi Papa :cheer:

Papa you have been working hard this last year, upgrades and upgrades.
I'm with you, get it all setup and then just maintain and grow. I am trying to do the same thing. Just get it all right and kick back and watch. Sounds so good.
Most of what I did this time is working towards that end. Problem is each grow I see where I can do something better.....never ending story!:)

Much work. Soon will be done. Newly re-organized space is looking much better. Pics soon.

Papa, get with PitViper and The Butcher on the H&G nutes. They should have some tips for you.

Following along silently along in the background... :popcorn:
Thanks! Will do. And thanks for following.

Yo Papa, just got back and stopped in for some inspiration... man, you never slack off :)

:peace:

Thanks, bro. wb Gonna slack soon I hope. Winter makes temps easier and I hope to have the room finished in a week or so. Fingers crossed.

Thanks all.

:smokin:

Update and Aerogro question

Hi all.

Mini update and CO2/Venting/AC thoughts.

Developments in the Sub include:

The main A/C is still out, but I am using the 10" fan that ducts the lights to exhaust the room. Combined with the other two A/Cs the room is staying within bounds temperature wise, but I'm unable to keep the CO2 above 700 for any extended periods.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see how much of an effect venting has on the temps, but now I need to rethink my fans/CO2 equation. I don't think its too complicated. In fact I think I can simplify my current setup and reduce CO2 costs and electricity costs. I am very confident that come winter the room will certainly be adequately cooled, requiring a little heat during lights out.

I am moving all the light rails a little to accommodate the Aerogro2. That sucker takes up a LOT of space. I am still in the building phases of it. It's coming together nicely I think.

-----------------

BIG QUESTION: Does anyone know EXACTLY the diameter of the drain holes/pipe from the chambers to the res? I can not tell whether I should use a 1" or a 1.25".

I plan to do a good post about building this thing, cause its pretty straight forward. But there are a few curve balls for a first timer. There are things I KNOW I woulda screwed up only a year ago. One example is pvc pipes and grommets. There are some standardized sizes for things, like drains are usually 1.25. And when you go to purchase DIY stuff its very important budget wise to get the standardized stuff.

In this build I ordered from GH the Spraylines and the 1" grommets for them. And I am using their res. I would absolutely NOT recommend trying to fake any of these components. I don't think you could do it any cheaper in the case of the lines or grommets, and I don't think you could achieve as sturdy and well built reservoir without significantly more work and nearly the same expense.

-----------------

After doing some reading on the H&G nutes I am really excited to be kicking these bad boys into the res. There will be 24 plants in the system. Some are already in their 1st week of veg and the others are 5 days old. So 2 weeks behind. But I will stall the ones in veg right now to wait. Next res change in veg area and I will start the H&G.

They have a very cool H&G nutrient calculator. Its still got a few bugs but it works.

------------------

And last but certainly not least is the plant outside. She's doing very well and you can expect some pics of her later, along with teaser shots of the rest.

:smokin::peace::rollit:

Ice Hash Bags arrived

Mini-Update.

I did my first test run of Ice Hash with my new 8 bag setup. I was very pleased with the results and will be doing another run with pics soon. I recommend the bags to anyone.

:grinjoint:

UH - Outside - 09_05_10

Some quick pics of the outside UH. Lookin good basically. Still a few minor signs of her trauma, and there seems to be a little def. But I just transplanted her to a bigger pot. There are some nutes in her new soil, and I will add a little.

uh_outside_top_09_05_10.jpg

uh_outside_side_09_05_10.jpg

Re: Ice Hash Bags arrived

Mini-Update.

I did my first test run of Ice Hash with my new 8 bag setup. I was very pleased with the results and will be doing another run with pics soon. I recommend the bags to anyone.

:grinjoint:

have the 1gal 8 bag system, love it, just wish i had got larger bags, but they do work....but after 6 runs in that washer and draining thru bags, they sure plug up quick....the whole system sounds good....lurking...L:cheer::cheer:

have the 1gal 8 bag system, love it, just wish i had got larger bags, but they do work....but after 6 runs in that washer and draining thru bags, they sure plug up quick....the whole system sounds good....lurking...L:cheer::cheer:
Right on! I don't use the washer. But I have the 5G bags. I'm no expert but after screwing around with my home-made ones - these are a joy! And I was amazed how much I had been missing at the smallest sizes.

As far as cleanup. Just rinse them clean after your final run with the bags. While wet the goopyness comes right out. Then hang them and let them dry completely. Also, you can use Rubbing Alcohol to clean them if they are clogged.

;)

Right on! I don't use the washer. But I have the 5G bags. I'm no expert but after screwing around with my home-made ones - these are a joy! And I was amazed how much I had been missing at the smallest sizes.

As far as cleanup. Just rinse them clean after your final run with the bags. While wet the goopyness comes right out. Then hang them and let them dry completely. Also, you can use Rubbing Alcohol to clean them if they are clogged.

;)

ive never let them set and dry out...yukk, i bet that would be a mess...as soon as these wear out, have my sites set for new larger ones...do they plug up? like right away....i can run one and a half times thru only before the 45 bag is plugged..surface area im thinking?..have to keep gold panning it to let water get thru...only gripe i got, and i still feel like im losing alot down the drain....tinctures are kool, and fun to make...and strong...think hash oil mixed with alcohol...when i can get it i use white lightning to "decoct?" it out....works tho, puts you out...funny story, i told my kid to watch it as it was a very strong batch, at the end of the work week he was mentally and physically hammered and wanted to get some sleep, so he thinks mom is a real light weight so i'll just double the dose she told me, he mixed it in some tea before bed and slept the entire weekend....woke up occasionally, but went right back to sleep...L
another i told you so moment, brought to you by mom...

ive never let them set and dry out...yukk, i bet that would be a mess...as soon as these wear out, have my sites set for new larger ones...do they plug up? like right away....i can run one and a half times thru only before the 45 bag is plugged..surface area im thinking?..have to keep gold panning it to let water get thru...only gripe i got, and i still feel like im losing alot down the drain....tinctures are kool, and fun to make...and strong...think hash oil mixed with alcohol...when i can get it i use white lightning to "decoct?" it out....works tho, puts you out...funny story, i told my kid to watch it as it was a very strong batch, at the end of the work week he was mentally and physically hammered and wanted to get some sleep, so he thinks mom is a real light weight so i'll just double the dose she told me, he mixed it in some tea before bed and slept the entire weekend....woke up occasionally, but went right back to sleep...L
another i told you so moment, brought to you by mom...

I am gonna have to try that with the white lightnin to get the last of it.

I would definitely suggest the 5G ones or bigger. I just can't see getting enough final product from the smaller ones. There's no reason you can't use less in the bigger bags, but the reverse is not true. The bigger are certainly more expensive, but the cheap bags from China seem to be pretty well made so far. Sorry folks in Amsterdam and US making bags. Capitalism has hit the ice hash world. What will likely cost you $250-350 from the name brands is $75 from China. At that price there is no reason not to go 5G and 8 bags.

As far as the 45 and smaller bags getting clogged - there's a lot of the panning. But actually I find if I sorta pop the bottom up and down by holding the top rim and moving up and down quickly. In other words, hold the top rim with two hands and shake the bag up and down while trying to keep the bottom screen flat - that seems to work. If I don't get everything the first scoop with the spoon I just dip that screen a half inch back in the water and shake again. All the tris will pool in the middle.

If your screen is getting oily, I've found there are two things that cause that:

1 - not enough ice. If the water temp ever gets above freezing then the tris get smudged and smeared instead of falling through. Make sure you keep adding ice, and you should always see a good bit in the water. As long as there is still significant ice, then you know the temp is right.

2 - you might be squeezing or pushing the blobs through. Same thing - if you squeeze or force the tris through, they will burst and stick to the screen.

Last tip. I was AMAZED how much the smallest 3 bags were grabbing. I think you may want to get some smaller than 45.

Re: Ice Hash

I was re-reading that post and I realized I was unclear/wrong about the smallest bags. I checked mine. My smallest 3 are 25, 45, and 73. All three bubble nicely and all three give about the same yield when doing Sativas and they yield more than the other bags.

The bigger ones grab more when its Indicas.

I am gonna have to try that with the white lightnin to get the last of it.

I would definitely suggest the 5G ones or bigger. I just can't see getting enough final product from the smaller ones. There's no reason you can't use less in the bigger bags, but the reverse is not true. The bigger are certainly more expensive, but the cheap bags from China seem to be pretty well made so far. Sorry folks in Amsterdam and US making bags. Capitalism has hit the ice hash world. What will likely cost you $250-350 from the name brands is $75 from China. At that price there is no reason not to go 5G and 8 bags.

As far as the 45 and smaller bags getting clogged - there's a lot of the panning. But actually I find if I sorta pop the bottom up and down by holding the top rim and moving up and down quickly. In other words, hold the top rim with two hands and shake the bag up and down while trying to keep the bottom screen flat - that seems to work. If I don't get everything the first scoop with the spoon I just dip that screen a half inch back in the water and shake again. All the tris will pool in the middle.

If your screen is getting oily, I've found there are two things that cause that:

1 - not enough ice. If the water temp ever gets above freezing then the tris get smudged and smeared instead of falling through. Make sure you keep adding ice, and you should always see a good bit in the water. As long as there is still significant ice, then you know the temp is right.

2 - you might be squeezing or pushing the blobs through. Same thing - if you squeeze or force the tris through, they will burst and stick to the screen.

Last tip. I was AMAZED how much the smallest 3 bags were grabbing. I think you may want to get some smaller than 45.

mine are 220,190,160,120,95,72,45,25 gauge, but that is as small as they go...what are yours....L, no i run tons of ice....freeze my hand off at times...thank you, L

mine are 220,190,160,120,95,72,45,25 gauge, but that is as small as they go...what are yours....L, no i run tons of ice....freeze my hand off at times...thank you, L

same

I thought 45 was your smallest - my mistake.

We have same kit.

Perhaps too much ice? That will crush the tris as well. Also, I let mine sit about an hour after I finish stirring. That might let more oils rise and get pulled out in top bag - I don't know.

Re: Sub V3 progress

Zowza.

:tokin:

So here's an update/teaser for the Sub V3...

The Room:

The 26 Pot E&G has been moved to the other side of the room. Lights re-hung. I moved the rails and spaced them much better than they have been. And because there's another motor now - no more jerry rigging. I also swapped out for the ProGrips. Those things are worth EVERY penny!

26pot_e_and_g_setup.jpg

ag2_space_todo2.jpg

These XRT ProGrip clips are so good they deserve a close up.

xrt_progrip.jpg

There's room to work now. Which is good, 'cause...
ag2_space_todo.jpg

Here are the nutes I have. Still doing research, but if anyone has any insight on whether to use the Hydro or AuqaFlakes I would love any advice. Also, I think the instructions for the Shooting Powder may say its only to be used in a DTW system. Can anyone confirm that? TIA. Still got plenty o' time so I have not bugged Butcher yet, but I'll tug his coat tail soon.

ag2_nutes_todo.jpg

That's it for the updates right now. The clones in the new cloner are doing great I think. Got roots and white bumps on almost all of them now. 4 Days in. Good stuff. Easy, no measuring of water or worries about over watering. Might be a few days longer than my other way, but I'll happily wait 3 extra days for a better success rate and FAR less work. Anyways - pics of the veg room coming soon.

And Finally -

I need a few votes to catch up!

:thanks:

Re: Papa Green's Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm Makes 3 - Perpetual 2000

Mini Update.

The last parts to the system will be here tomorrow. So I am confident I will have it dry fit tomorrow and the first water test in a few days.

The temps in the room are very distressing, but I simply can't do anything to fix the A/C. I will be taking it apart and checking today to see what I can do, but I simply don't have the money for another service call. So until outside temps drop the room runs at 78-82 day and night. And no CO2 boost. :(

Actually - as I was typing this I think I may have just come up with a solution!!!!!

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer: :cheer:

Gotta run...

Actually - as I was typing this I think I may have just come up with a solution!!!!!

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer: :cheer:

Gotta run...

We are waiting with bated breath on your solution. Hope it works for ya, Papa.

Thanks, Munki!

Well, not all that exciting, but I think it will work. I moved the stand up unit from the veg room into the larger space. Since the veg room is inside the flower room, with appropriate venting, shouldn't be too tough to keep it right. The big room will work alright. And in a month this will all be a non-issue I think.

The room looks like a disaster area right now, but temps are in line. We'll see how she does tomorrow during the heat. And I will likely fire up the CO2 again tonight to see how it does. It will be close.

I can't wait for the stuff to get here tomorrow. This will be my first setup with a float valve to fill the res :smokin: I'll be setting up and dry fitting everything tonight. Pics to come later of course.

And the veg room is humming along fine. Clones are doing well. Pics later.

:peace::rollit:

Hrm. Cancel the last update. 84 degrees in the room right now with lights on.

I'm on it.

No kidding. What a cliffhanger! Please don't leave us waiting for a new season. ;)

Hey PG,

Sorry to hear about your AC problems. I lived in Asia for several years and mini-splits are just about all they install over there. Some are better than others and there are a few things that commonly go wrong with them. Sometimes it's a controller (printed circuit) board or the occasional compressor, which usually can be replaced under warranty for the first several years after purchase (which is good because they're more expensive to fix).

One of the most common faults in A/C's are bad capacitors. Often they're set up so the (condensing unit) fan won't run either if it's bad, depends on the type you've got. Typically in an AC install, power comes in from the street (line side), to a HVAC disconnect (breaker or fuse), then to a DP (Definite Purpose) contactor inside the unit, which then sends juice to the capacitor - and that's connected to your condenser unit motor. If the capacitor's bad you can sometimes put your ear close to the unit and still hear the hum of the DP contactor engaged (+feel some heat); that's a typical symptom. Best thing to do is disconnect the power, pop the hood and take a look...

Fortunately these are pretty easy to fix, and the part typically runs ~$20-30. Not sure how technical you are, but I found a troubleshooting guide on the net specifically for ductless units:

Ductless AC Troubleshooting, A Homeowner's Guide To Mini Split AC Repairs

Here's another online DIY guide with pictures (typical AC type), it's pretty good. Shows what a typical bad, bowed out capacitor looks like:

Replace an Air conditioning capacitor yourself.

Should show you how to test/look for a bad unit, safely discharge them, etc. With any luck it's something simple like that.

I know Pit's an electrician, maybe he could help if you have questions (or register with a suitable forum and post pics, I'm sure there are ones for DIY help out there)

Hope that helps and saves you some $$$. Good luck!

-TL

Damn! PAPA good luck!

Thanks! I think my luck has run out - time for hard work.

No kidding. What a cliffhanger! Please don't leave us waiting for a new season. ;)

OK. Moved an AC. Ducted two 600s. - For shit. Its gonna be too hot tomorrow. Even before I read Lurker's AWESOME post, I was pretty convinced it was the cap. I will take it over to Grainger tomorrow and have them test it.

But here's a semi-cliffhanger look at the current state of things. Very Temporary.

temp_ac_setup_ng.jpg

Hey PG,

Sorry to hear about your AC problems. I lived in Asia for several years and mini-splits are just about all they install over there. Some are better than others and there are a few things that commonly go wrong with them. Sometimes it's a controller (printed circuit) board or the occasional compressor, which usually can be replaced under warranty for the first several years after purchase (which is good because they're more expensive to fix).

One of the most common faults in A/C's are bad capacitors. Often they're set up so the (condensing unit) fan won't run either if it's bad, depends on the type you've got. Typically in an AC install, power comes in from the street (line side), to a HVAC disconnect (breaker or fuse), then to a DP (Definite Purpose) contactor inside the unit, which then sends juice to the capacitor - and that's connected to your condenser unit motor. If the capacitor's bad you can sometimes put your ear close to the unit and still hear the hum of the DP contactor engaged (+feel some heat); that's a typical symptom. Best thing to do is disconnect the power, pop the hood and take a look...

Fortunately these are pretty easy to fix, and the part typically runs ~$20-30. Not sure how technical you are, but I found a troubleshooting guide on the net specifically for ductless units:

Ductless AC Troubleshooting, A Homeowner's Guide To Mini Split AC Repairs

Here's another online DIY guide with pictures (typical AC type), it's pretty good. Shows what a typical bad, bowed out capacitor looks like:

Replace an Air conditioning capacitor yourself.

Should show you how to test/look for a bad unit, safely discharge them, etc. With any luck it's something simple like that.

I know Pit's an electrician, maybe he could help if you have questions (or register with a suitable forum and post pics, I'm sure there are ones for DIY help out there)

Hope that helps and saves you some $$$. Good luck!

-TL

That helps SOOOO MUCH! Thanks. This is the second of these things I've had. The first time I spent $1300 for the unit and 900 on repairs before trashing it. Second I've spent $1800 for the unit and 600 on repairs. Both were cheapo no name. Last time. From now on $2200 from the start for a good one or none at all.

----------------

OK - somewhat moving on. Here's one other shot of the semi-DIY AeroJet2 coming together:
space_is_a_go.jpg

-----------

The Veg room:

13 Volde, and 2 Utopia Haze:
veg_area2.jpg

And these are the ones I need to catch up:
clones_d5.jpg

Not terrible for 5 days.
clones_d5_roots.jpg

That's it for now.

Thanks again all!

:peace::rollit:

P.S. - Does this make me a Bubblehead - even though I don't have anything from Stealth Hydro?

Back
Top Bottom