Indoor Grow July 2009 : AustralianQ1 CaliGDP CaliSSH CaliOrange DutchWidowSkunk

SS,

I think CMX might know a bit more about your question, but my thoughts are that you would have a group of plants that would all come up as female, but would have male flowers as well, in a true hermie way. Sometimes, when you see pictures of place like Morocco, you see plants that have both sexing, and I have even had it happen to seeds bought from seedbanks. Nature is so beautiful!!!!!!!! Keeps everyone on their toes guessing what is coming next.

Q1 & GDP

Q1_24_8.JPG
GDP_day_57.JPG

CASSH

CASSH_day_57.JPG

Bubblegum

Bgum_24_8.JPG

Deadtour,

I cannot rave enough about using 1000Watt HPS as the light source. It appears to enhance the plants speed in trich production, whilst also encouraging strong and full buds a lot earlier than the 600Watt seemed to do. In 4 weeks time I think there should be at least 9 ounces off the 5 plants. Under the 600, it is usually 5 and a half ounces. I am thinking too, that I may embrace hydroponic growing again to see if that too may make a yield improvement. Should make an interesting comparison.....

Deadtour,

I cannot rave enough about using 1000Watt HPS as the light source. It appears to enhance the plants speed in trich production, whilst also encouraging strong and full buds a lot earlier than the 600Watt seemed to do. In 4 weeks time I think there should be at least 9 ounces off the 5 plants. Under the 600, it is usually 5 and a half ounces. I am thinking too, that I may embrace hydroponic growing again to see if that too may make a yield improvement. Should make an interesting comparison.....

Well, 1000 watts is 67% more energy use than a 600 watt. 9 ounces is approximately 64% weight over 5 1/2 ounces, so it appears that you would have scaled well but did not gain any increased efficiency (grams per watt) over the smaller 600 watt unit. Your observations do demonstrate how light level and yield are intrinsically tied though.

Thanks Munki for the heads up on the effeciency. Most appreciated.

I think as this is my first 1000 watt grow, it will be an area I will and should be working on. I would like to see 1 pound of the 1000, and I think a lot of that has to do with me letting the plants get more than the usual 28 days in veg and perhaps get a stronger 35 or even 42 days in veg to allow the plant the size and strength to carry a heavier yield. Also, stealing your idea of a SCroG setup and or even LST'ing to maximise area useage. Good times ahead though!!!!

Tunes - I, as stated before, cannot rave enough about the varietal. From a 420mag forum post, I was able to get the background information on the variety, which made the seed selection easier, as the post included the history, and breeding practice, of the original 3 cuttings taken to Holland.

Pics of Q1 day 52

Day_52_1.JPG
Day_523.JPG

Grand Daddy Purple Leaf Day 60

GDP_leaf_day_58.JPG

Took this leaf off today to get greater penetration of light to the lower branches. The picture doesn't do the colouration in the leaf justice. Really dark green, purple hued and very Indica in appearance.

Have left this as the only plant within this grow I am yet to taste test, maybe Saturday.

Someone was asking earlier about hermaphrodite plants being left to fend for themselves outdoors what would happen.. Typically what would happen if say one of the Q1 plants was to be left outdoors on its own, is that it will reproduce seeds from its hermi traits. All of these seeds will also have the hermaphroditic trait but will be female to start with or almost entirely female (plus hermi traits of course). If left to progress by itself it is likely that several generations down the line you will get plants that display a more "male like" growth patterns and you will have ones that have a nearly all female growth patterns. However these male looking plants are not true males, they are just a very adapted hermi plant. The strain however will lose its vigor through generations if it doesnt breed with another strain.. It may not live past 5 or 10 years. However there is also always the possibility that it will survive for a VERY long time. After much time has passed you will end up with basically what you started out with, mostly female hermi Q1 plants. You may also get some male "appearing" plants, however all of them will have the hermaphroditic trait and be all female at heart (A plant cannot generate new genetic material on its own, it can only work with what its got in other words) Unless you bread it out (the hermi trait)which most likely wont happen unless another strain is introduced and/or someone spends an incredible amount of time inbreeding the strain to produce a non-hermi plant. . Even with this its quite possible you will never be able to breed it out, its very very unlikely you will be able to actually, especially if all you have to work with is inbreeded lines of a hermi Q1 mother plant. Plants will be different because of the situations in which the plant is grown. Some plants may lean towards a completally hermi plant while others may go in the opposite direction and look more female, or "look" more male, it is a proactive way for the strain to gaurantee its survival. However you will never get true "male" plants...they may look mostly male but they cannot be 100% male because that genetic material was never there to begin with. Does this make any sense??? Im starting to confuse myself even.. Anyhow the plant will eventually become weak from lack of new genetic material, and the chances are it will either cease to exist or will exist in much the same form as it started as, that being some kind of femal hermaphrodite. But like I said I dont see it lasting too long without new genetics introduced. What would be especially beneficial is if a male plant of a differant strain was introduced. It would help stabalize the line and in that case the strain would very likely live forever... in all forms, (obviously) male , female, and hermi.
On another note, thats crazy we just had the talk about 1000 watt lights at almost the same time you start using a 1000 watter. lol, crazy. Looking great though man!

Someone was asking earlier about what would happen if you left a hermaphrodite plant to fend for itself outdoors what would happen.. Typically what would happen if say one of the Q1 plants was to be left outdoors on its own, is it will reproduce seeds from its hermi traits as you would expect. All of these seeds will also have the hermaphroditic trait but will be female to start with. If left to progress by itself it is likely that several generations down the line you will get plants that display a more male growth pattern and you will have ones that have a more female growth pattern. However these male looking plants are not true males, they are just a very adapted hermi. The strain however will lose its vigor through generations if it doesnt breed with another strain.. It may not live past 5 or 10 years. There is also always the possibility that it will survive for a VERY long time. After time has passed you will end up back with mostly female Q1 plants, and some male appearing plants, however all of them will have the hermaphroditic trait unless you actively breed it out of the plant which wont easily be acheived, unless.... another strain is introduced and/or someone spends an incredible amount of time inbreeding the strain to produce a mostly non-hermi plant. Even with this its quite possible you will never be able to breed it out, its very very unlikely you will be able to actually. Its especially difficult if all you have to work with is inbreeded lines of a hermi Q1 mother plant. Plants will look different because of the situations in which the plant is grown. Some plants may lean towards a completally hermi plant while others may go in the opposite direction and look female or look male. However it is unlikely that you will ever get true "male" plants...they may be mostly male organs but they cannot be 100% male because that genetic material was never there to begin with. Does this make any sense??? Im starting to confuse myself even now.. Anyhow the plant will eventually become weak from lack of new genetic material, and the chances are it will either cease to exist or will exist in much the same form as it started , that being some kind of female hermaphrodite. But like I said I dont see it lasting too long without new genetics introduced. What would be especially beneficial is if a male plant of a differant strain was introduced. It would help stabalize the line and in that case the strain would very likely live forever... in all forms, (obviously) male , female, and hermi.
On another note, thats crazy we just had the talk about 1000 watt lights at almost the same time you start using a 1000 watter. lol, crazy. Looking great though man!
Also if I am wrong about any of this info please let me know, but from what I have read this is how I understand it works. And I hope this answers your question too. And sorry for clogging your beautiful thread you got here DGMGH.

Back
Top Bottom