Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm Makes 3 - Perpetual 2000w

Re: Papa Green's Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm Makes 3 - Perpetual 2000

Thanks! I think my luck has run out - time for hard work.

OK. Moved an AC. Ducted two 600s. - For shit. Its gonna be too hot tomorrow. Even before I read Lurker's AWESOME post, I was pretty convinced it was the cap. I will take it over to Grainger tomorrow and have them test it.

But here's a semi-cliffhanger look at the current state of things. Very Temporary.

temp_ac_setup_ng.jpg

That helps SOOOO MUCH! Thanks. This is the second of these things I've had. The first time I spent $1300 for the unit and 900 on repairs before trashing it. Second I've spent $1800 for the unit and 600 on repairs. Both were cheapo no name. Last time. From now on $2200 from the start for a good one or none at all.

----------------

OK - somewhat moving on. Here's one other shot of the semi-DIY AeroJet2 coming together:
space_is_a_go.jpg

-----------

The Veg room:

13 Volde, and 2 Utopia Haze:
veg_area2.jpg

And these are the ones I need to catch up:
clones_d5.jpg

Not terrible for 5 days.
clones_d5_roots.jpg

That's it for now.

Thanks again all!

:peace::rollit:

P.S. - Does this make me a Bubblehead - even though I don't have anything from Stealth Hydro?

yes it does:bravo:

Re: Papa Green's Utopian Sub v2 - You, Me, and Barney's Farm Makes 3 - Perpetual 2000

Hrm. Seems I stepped into the middle of a fracas. I honestly had no idea there was any tension in the bh community, nor with the site. Ooops. I just read Soniq's post in the thread and it sounds like a big headache for everyone. Nough said.

-------------

Re: the AC. Well I swapped out the cap for another I had here when I thought the cap was bad before. Still does not seem to want to start. I gave the fan a little spin and it kicked right up. So now I gotta re-check the cap, and if its not that - I'm affraid its gonna turn out to be the Fan Starter Motor. If that's the case then I will simply have to walk out and spin the fan every now and then, cause I'm not spending big $ on this thing right before winter.

Temps in the room right now - which is the middle of lights out - are a perfect 70 degrees and humidity back down in the low 50s. So it may be a super pain in the ass for a while, but I think I can fake it.

When I can save up the extra $ again I'll deal with it properly. I'm still not 100% convinced I can't get her running myself.

Gonna call Grainger and confirm the last of my parts came in - then its off to pick them up. I'll come back and work on the AC a little more, and my outside garden. I've got 48 Lettuce, Brussel Sprouts and Broccoli plants to get in the ground.

Also, the outside UH is looking fantastic! Literally the picture of health I think. In fact, she doing so well, I couldn't resist moving another little one out there and my Jack Herer mom. So there are 3 plants outside now. I really hope the first frost comes a week or two late this year. If it comes at the normal time - around Halloween then my girls will have to come in a little early.

And finally, I'm in the process of harvesting a little crop of 5 Montana plants. Started trimming last night. They're looking good as well.

So expect a big update tonight I think.

:peace::rollit::smokin:

Re: Sub V3 progress

You will want to use the aqua flakes if you are going to be using these nutes with your E&F or aero setup since the agua flakes are meant to be used with a recirculating hydro system. The hydro flakes are meant for a DWC system only and since the aqua flakes can be also be used in a DWC setup most stores were only carrying the aqua and did not offer the hydro. Now it looks like H&G no longer offers the hydro since I cannot find it on their website anymore. As far as the shooting powder, I am not sure what a DTW system is but I have never heard of any problem using the shooting powder with any system.

Thanks! More great info! I agree on everything you said, great to have some reassurance.

DTW is Drain to Waste. - any non-recirculating system.

Okay, my bad, the above response sucked as far as answering your question about shooting powder and DWT.

The shooting powder can definitely be used in non-DTW setups. I've done two grows using a DWC setup and used the shooting powder with no problems. The H&G feed chart also has a note about not re-using soil that has been given shooting powder so it has to be okay to use with soil too.

Right on. That's good to hear. I think I'll be going super light with it anyways - I only have one satchel. But I was bonused today at the hydro store. He gave me 2 more litres each of Aqua Flakes A and B so that I could do a full test. And a bottle of Drip Klean. So I am really jazzed! I have ALL the addatives except the roots excelurator, and I think I'll be ok. That's only for early veg anyways, and I'm ok there so far.

:slide:

-------------------

I got a replacement for the bad capacitor. It tested bad at Grainger. So we'll see if the AC kicks in. Fingers crossed, folks, but if that's working again - then Sub V3 is gonna kick ass in a few days.

Heheh. My only concern now is whether I have the right power out there already, or whether a 240v upgrade is gonna need to happen. Might have to go 240 to cut the Amps in half to get everything running.

:tokin:

Thanks again all - both the help on the nutes and the ac. Its really made a difference.

:thanks::rollit:

The roots excelurator is recommended to be used through all of veg and midway through flower. It's such a good product the Advanced Nutrients has stopped making their root additive and is recommending that their customers buy the H&G's root excelurator until they come up with something better. You might want to consider getting it but it is their most expensive product. You'll definitely be okay without it, but probably better off with it.

Dang it. I saw that video a month ago as well, and you've stated what's in the back of my head. And you're right. I'll have the hydro store order me a bottle. Its only fair.

:smokin:

-------------

THE CAP WORKED! AC WORKING AGAIN! TOTAL COST OF REPAIR: $0 (I already had the spare cap.)

All the parts are in for the AeroGro2.

The music swells...

THE CAP WORKED! AC WORKING AGAIN! TOTAL COST OF REPAIR: $0 (I already had the spare cap.)

The music swells...

Sweet! You are more resourceful than I am. AC issues like that are why I just use window units and box them in. But I can't solder, so...

:peace:

The music swells...

Excellent! Good work there Papa. :cheer: You did all the heavy lifting here bro, congrats mate. Zero cost repairs are the best! :goodjob:

If you had a repairman in to do it, they'll typically charge anywhere from $200-300 for something like that - i.e. about 900% over the cost of the part alone. It runs ~$80 just to get them to show up at the house, these days...

Now we're talkin'--! :grinjoint: For those about to rock, we salute you! :tommy:

:popcorn:

-TL

Great on the capacitor Papa G. Cheapo chinese caps have bitten me in the azz more than I care to remember. Best was an imac. Apple wanted 800 bucks to replace mother board. My son found out the caps in that particular machine were suspect. New caps off ebay (3 of em) 60 cents including shipping... still have 2 in the wings LOL

Getn subbed here. Things are looking great from what I see so far. Gotta get caught up. I'll be in the cuts watching this :cheesygrinsmiley:

Sweet! You are more resourceful than I am. AC issues like that are why I just use window units and box them in. But I can't solder, so...

Thanks, but you're pretty damn good at this stuff. If I had window units here - believe me they would be going in.
Excellent! Good work there Papa. :cheer: You did all the heavy lifting here bro, congrats mate. Zero cost repairs are the best! :goodjob:

If you had a repairman in to do it, they'll typically charge anywhere from $200-300 for something like that - i.e. about 900% over the cost of the part alone. It runs ~$80 just to get them to show up at the house, these days...

Now we're talkin'--! :grinjoint: For those about to rock, we salute you! :tommy:

:popcorn:

-TL

Yep. You're exactly right on what the repair woulda been. Thanks again!

Great on the capacitor Papa G. Cheapo chinese caps have bitten me in the azz more than I care to remember. Best was an imac. Apple wanted 800 bucks to replace mother board. My son found out the caps in that particular machine were suspect. New caps off ebay (3 of em) 60 cents including shipping... still have 2 in the wings LOL

LOL - you should sell them on ebay for $400

If you can track down a bad cap on an iMac power supply (I assume that's where it was) that's pretty damn impressive!

-----

Mini-update for all - while the AC wants to work, it still struggles spinning the fan, so I think either the fan cap (which I haven't tested) or the fan motor is bad. It was squeaking terribly yesterday, I oiled it and it got a little better, but still sounds like a bad bearing. Anyways, outside temps cooperated today, so the room was fine. I'll take it apart again tomorrow and see about the motor.

All else is good. I'll be poking around to everyone's journals soon. I've gotten surprised by some rl work over the weekend - was hoping to be more sociable.

Thanks again everyone for the words of encouragement.

-----

Mini-update for all - while the AC wants to work, it still struggles spinning the fan, so I think either the fan cap (which I haven't tested) or the fan motor is bad. It was squeaking terribly yesterday, I oiled it and it got a little better, but still sounds like a bad bearing. Anyways, outside temps cooperated today, so the room was fine. I'll take it apart again tomorrow and see about the motor.

Arrgh, bearings are cheap (and apparently some bearings are even cheapr!) Is there an oiling spot on the fan? If not (which is usually the case), sometimes drilling a hole through the housing at the non fan blade end of the shaft can get some lube into the bearing... if you can even get to it :) Bet the whole unit was made in china...

Good luck Papa

All else is good. I'll be poking around to everyone's journals soon. I've gotten surprised by some rl work over the weekend - was hoping to be more sociable.

Thanks again everyone for the words of encouragement.

Hello Pappy! thought it was way overdue to visit you. Read back a few pages and saw that nice outdoor of yours. She's a hot looker and soon to be a pipe cooker! You are way to sofisticated for me with you indoor stuff, I just lurk and drool.

Speaking of Lurkers! I should have read Lurkers's post about AC unit DYI. Lurker you were spot on about the $80 for the guy to come out, that's what it cost us for our guy to come look at our one yr. past warranty Carrier. And it was the capacitor ($100) and it was bulged out at the top! He also added some R-22 at $46 (said it may have leaked out of the cap as it was not fastened tightly (I have never touch the thing myself since the install 6 yrs ago). Total with tax, $250. I could have changed out the capacitor, but I don't think I have access to the R-22.

Great to know for the future, thanks

Pappa nice to see ya buddy, all the best!:nicethread:

Hello Pappy! thought it was way overdue to visit you. Read back a few pages and saw that nice outdoor of yours. She's a hot looker and soon to be a pipe cooker! You are way to sofisticated for me with you indoor stuff, I just lurk and drool.

Speaking of Lurkers! I should have read Lurkers's post about AC unit DYI. Lurker you were spot on about the $80 for the guy to come out, that's what it cost us for our guy to come look at our one yr. past warranty Carrier. And it was the capacitor ($100) and it was bulged out at the top! He also added some R-22 at $46 (said it may have leaked out of the cap as it was not fastened tightly (I have never touch the thing myself since the install 6 yrs ago). Total with tax, $250. I could have changed out the capacitor, but I don't think I have access to the R-22.

Great to know for the future, thanks

Pappa nice to see ya buddy, all the best!:nicethread:

Doubt the refrigerant (R-22) could leak from the capacitor so I wonder what "cap" he was referring to. Probably, just trying to maximize the service call.

Doubt the refrigerant (R-22) could leak from the capacitor so I wonder what "cap" he was referring to. Probably, just trying to maximize the service call.

Hello Munki

No, it leaked from the 'refill cap'. I was mentioning the bulged out top of the old capacitor as that is an indicator of a bad one. The serviceman told me this, in the link Lurker gave us in his post it also mentioned that. The guy told me that since I didn't loosen the filler cap, the original installer of the unit (6 yrs ago) must not have tightened it all the way. He did show me on his gauge that the refrigerant was low.

Thanks, Woodsman and Munki. Yep I was able to follow - prolly my fault for using the word cap instead of capacitor. Lazy me.

Glad y'all are here.

I was gonna work on it today but its been raining off and on all day - and football - so not much done.

I did do another nice batch of hash and I am thrilled with the results. And the outside gals are looking great.

Gonna see if I can get some pics of stuff now.

Re: Monster Scrog Wrap Up - 1g/w !!!!

Smoke report on the Utopia Haze. It is indeed a "soaring" high. Very high in THC, but very little couchlock. Can be smoked all day long and doesn't lose its juice, but one or two nice ones after a day of no smoking will send you through the roof. I smoked a bowl with my buddy at about 5:30 after a long day of work then went and had one Tanq and Tonic and I was in heaven. Felt like when I first started smoking. And the high lasts for at least an hour or two. I was still high when we left two hours later.

:peacetwo::morenutes:

Papa, glad to see you enjoy the UH. I found it took us a few days before we were fully aware of the high UH brings on. UH just seems to make the grass greener, birds sing better, the sky a little bit more blue, and with a bit of luck, will most definitely be kept for years to come.

Quick, question. How many days from the time you went 12/12 to harvest? Do you plan to follow the same schedule for the next batch of UH, or do you plan to adjust the number of days in bloom, etc? We throughly enjoyed the last batch, but still think more (not necessarily weight, but quality) can be squeezed out with a bit of tweaking. Looking at adjusting things and would love to hear what you plan to do different (if anything) for the next batch of UH. Time, nutes, ph, grow style, etc...

-Out
:hookah:

Papa, glad to see you enjoy the UH. I found it took us a few days before we were fully aware of the high UH brings on. UH just seems to make the grass greener, birds sing better, the sky a little bit more blue, and with a bit of luck, will most definitely be kept for years to come.

Quick, question. How many days from the time you went 12/12 to harvest? Do you plan to follow the same schedule for the next batch of UH, or do you plan to adjust the number of days in bloom, etc? We throughly enjoyed the last batch, but still think more (not necessarily weight, but quality) can be squeezed out with a bit of tweaking. Looking at adjusting things and would love to hear what you plan to do different (if anything) for the next batch of UH. Time, nutes, ph, grow style, etc...

-Out
:hookah:

This is a great group of questions and room for discussion. Unfortunately I'm running out the door. Gonna post a few pics of the Volde. And I'll come back to the UH. I do actually have a few thoughts on it. My more recent batch has gotten better, and the two outside are showing me what she's supposed to look like. Here's a peek from a week ago. She's about 8" taller now - outdoor stretch. My big concern now is when will the first frost hit. I may have to build some kind of enclosure for them.

So - quick teaser of the UH:
outdoor_UH_top.jpg

And a few of my third try on the Volde. This batch is looking very potent so far I think. I think partly cause I have finally figured out their nutes, and partly because mom is 6 months old now and reaching her peak as well. Anyways, it looks yummy me thinks.

Volde - all same bud:
volde_ice2.jpg

volde_snow2.jpg

volde_tris1.jpg

Go Skins! I'll be back to talk Utopia Haze later.

And p.s. - the new system is in its final phases of assembly. Lights and rails are hung and moving. And almost ready to do a 240v line for the lights. Will pick up an outlet on Monday or Tuesday. Glue is finishing drying. Should be ready for a wet test tonight. If all goes as planned - I believe that will signal the start of Sub V3.

:peacetwo:

And p.s. - the new system is in its final phases of assembly. Lights and rails are hung and moving. And almost ready to do a 240v line for the lights. Will pick up an outlet on Monday or Tuesday. Glue is finishing drying. Should be ready for a wet test tonight. If all goes as planned - I believe that will signal the start of Sub V3.

:peacetwo:

Up periscope :popcorn:

Hope all is well with ya PG... and that your plumbing license is current :)

Up periscope :popcorn:

Hope all is well with ya PG... and that your plumbing license is current :)

You ain't whistlin dixie on the plumbing. I did the first wet test and everything went as expected. Not what I hoped. But what I expected. I tried not gluing some of the pipes in the system. Didn't think it would work. It actually almost did - just some minor leaks. So I have glued them with slow dry, soft set cement - takes 48hrs to dry. What a pain. But I did it yesterday, so tomorrow night will hopefully be the final test. I used the soft set because I have used spa tubing (I think this is what the manufacturer uses for their manifolds). The spa tubing allows some flex, and when dealing with a 12' long growing surface, you're gonna bump the ends and need some flex. If it was all pvc it would have been cracked to hell by now. So I have high hopes that it will be flowing tomorrow and ready to receive its first transplants.

My whole schedule has had to be adjusted a little, but I think its gonna work out nicely. Basically I have a group of 12 volde that were supposed to go in the E&G. They will instead move under 850w of CFLs to flower. Then I can put the 30 Mazaar (Volde) clones in the veg area. I have 2 Utopia Haze that have been vegging a little longer than normal, and I will put them in the AeroGro 2 weeks ahead of the 30 volde. That should put them finishing about the same time. I would rather have 3 weeks head start, but its not working out that way.

240v Update. I have had my pinky removed because it contacted a live wire and was blown off. Just kidding! Everything went super easily with the 240 upgrade, and I really recommend anyone who's gonna run a new circuit anyways - should definitely go 240v. It is just not that hard or tricky. Be safe. Do the reading. But the actual implementation was easier than some 110 setups I've done. And I am convinced that the lights start smoother and faster now. When the lights come on they power up immediately - no flickering.

I have taken pics of lots of stuff along the way, but I'm saving them for the new journal, or if anyone asks.

So on that note - back to work.

:tokin:

Back
Top Bottom