Utopian Submarine - 2000W, Indoor, Perpetual

^ nice wrap up papa. I love the density of the buds in the scrog. Picture perfect nugs

Beautiful Summary Papa!

Nice Haul! You should be a proud Papa!

Looking forward to your continued adventures!

SF

Spectacular haul PapaGreen!

:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::roorrip:

Thanks guys. Much! Its really true I would not have the room I have today were it not for this community.

:thanks:

Might as well take this opportunity to do a final grandiose and long winded summary. I have an hour to kill before the lights come on, and I'm well medicated right now... ;)

I think the thing I learned most was how much I still don't know. For reals. I feel like I have a grip on the mechanics of a few different systems and mediums, but every day I hear about another that seems like a viable solution.

And my head is so cluttered, I am having trouble listening to the plants. I should have caught the issues with the curl in the L.S.D. much sooner, and I should have had the room such that I could remedy the issues immediately (or really they never would have arisen had I not still been building the room). I have seen 3 or 4 different deficiencies manifest themselves, but that's only made me realize I'm gonna have to actually see ALL the others before I really get good at spotting them when they're starting.

I guess aside from the humbling aspect of trying to maintain healthy plants - the next biggest thing was the pruning - LST, FIM, Topping and Super Cropping. This is a hobby, skill, profession, necessity, whatever you wanna call it, that requires active participation. You must learn to think like the plants. Learn when they want things easy and to be babied, and learn when you should stress them a little. And if you goof up with the nutes without listening to the plants - well you know what happens.

I was also surprised as I moved to this bigger room how much more work it is. I have to admit I expected there to be redundancy - I mean 15 plants on one res should be almost as easy as 6 on a res - right? WRONG. You still gotta pay attention to each plant. And the atmospherics get significantly more tricky.

And I guess it goes without saying given the rest of this stuff, you gotta have the room, atmosphere, water and power dialed in BEFORE issues arise to really stay on top of things. I am constantly asked "Can you wait a few days or a week for this or that?" And I say, "Sure, I can wait no problem, but for some reason my plants aren't listening."

So now my goal for my room and the next journal is consistency. I would like to see a nice smooth operation. Of course I want to see that 1g/w yield, but I think that is a symptom of getting everything else right. McBudz and Setting Sun amongst many others have set a high standard for how I think a grow and journal should flow. If I can make it look as easy as they do then I will feel like I'm getting someplace.

So, with all that in mind, I am wrapping up the final pieces of the new Sub and collecting pics and charts and stuff for the start of a new journal. I was hoping to have it done by 4-20 but oh well. Heheh - that's the kind of sentence I don't want to see in the next journal. Should be done in the next day or two.

So thanks to ALL that have followed along and helped make this journal so helpful to me and others. I won't try to name y'all, since we're not saying good bye, we'll just be jumping to a new thread I hope!

:thanks::thanks::thanks:
:bravo::cheer:

:peace:

Bravo PaPa

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Great Summary of a very enjoyable Journal and Grow. :cheer:

Can't tell you how much I've learned along the way.:reading420magazine:

The next one Has got to be a bit easier on you. Grow areas are finished and the place is spotless, so many of the hard jobs are finished. The Sub is ready for a new voyage. :thumb:

I'll be looking for when you pull up the anchor and set sail!

14.8 oz is nothing but great!:Rasta:

That is a great grow my friend; you lost me a bit with the electronics, but I was with you with the computing part. Looks great; Thanks for commenting on my grow, and I can see I am going to learn at lot from you. Our intentions are a little different, but like I said "all roads lead to Rome". My goal is to achieve around 16 oz to 40 oz. or at least 4 ounces a plant. one thing I have found that increases growth is an air stone in each pot, connected to an air pump. Also friendly bugs really help a lot too.
great grow, my friend; I will stay tuned for further up dates.
happy growing, mate, and regards from down under.

Fantastic buds Papa. You seem to really have a handle on scrog. I admire your patience.

Don't forget to post a link to the next journal at the end of this one. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:peace:

That scrog was done so nice in such a confined space. So much bud from such a small space, great job. :goodjob:

:peace: brother.

Great finish my friend! Really impressive work! I can't wait to see the next journal! :thumb:

that is a bad ass grow my friend. way to ROCK out that space :thumb:
smoke on brother!:grinjoint: +rep for the great update of pics

Bravo PaPa

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Great Summary of a very enjoyable Journal and Grow. :cheer:

Can't tell you how much I've learned along the way.:reading420magazine:

The next one Has got to be a bit easier on you. Grow areas are finished and the place is spotless, so many of the hard jobs are finished. The Sub is ready for a new voyage. :thumb:

I'll be looking for when you pull up the anchor and set sail!

14.8 oz is nothing but great!:Rasta:

That is a great grow my friend; you lost me a bit with the electronics, but I was with you with the computing part. Looks great; Thanks for commenting on my grow, and I can see I am going to learn at lot from you. Our intentions are a little different, but like I said "all roads lead to Rome". Where I am, mate, it is illegal even to grow for medical purposes, so to keep down the legal consequences(just in case), I can only grow 4 plants, as that is considered personal under Australian law, in my state. My goal is to achieve around 16 oz to 40 oz. or at least 4 ounces a plant. one thing I have found that increases growth is an air stone in each pot, connected to an air pump. Also friendly bugs really help a lot too.
great grow, my friend; I will stay tuned for further up dates.
happy growing, mate, and regards from down under.

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! I get so much good vibe from this site - the journal really does make the work easier.

I am getting really close to starting the new one. I HOPE by lights off tonight at 6AM - in 19 hours - I should have the room to the state I wanna start the new one.

I have started drafting the 1st post and getting a few charts together so I can get the new one off on the right foot.

Anyways - thanks AGAIN to ALL! Gonna get out there and power it!

:thanks:

:peacetwo:

What a great harvest papa plus repps fo sho those buds and that scrog are pristine man and great strains to that AK-47 short pheno looked really good i have two ak seeds that both are on the first node from cotyledon so i'll hope for the short pheno:grinjoint:great work dude i'll be tuned in on your next journal fo sho

Hi PapaGreen!

Excellent summary of your grow! I can relate on many levels with your summary.
I have a bad back and arthritic hands so the LSTs and SCROG type gardens seem to be too much maintence for me. My goal is to basically get my garden as close to being on autopilot as possible.
One of my biggest problems with a young prodigy I'm working with is trying to hammer home to him that his garden needs to operate according to what the plants need, not what he wants. It got to be so frustrating that I went ahead and let him run the garden according to what he's "heard" and how he wants it to "look". After a dismal harvest he finally came to me with his tail between his legs seeking advice.
I basically told him that I'm taking him back to the beginning and he's going to have scrap most of his mythilogical ideas on how to grow good pot and get back to learning the fundamentals of cannabis cultivation. He's now about 4 weeks away from his best harvest ever and has a better understanding of what to do rather than letting his head get scrambled with rumors and myths.

Every now and then he comes up with hairbrain idea that he's heard and asks me about it before he does it. I just tell him to focus on what we're doing and block out what you think somebody else may be doing. Every garden is different.
I think his kookiest idea was to use very small pots with soil and when the roots came out of the bottom, they could dangle down into a tray of a hydroponic nutrient solution. Somebody told him that's how they do it in Cali! :loopy:

haha orange blood sometimes you gotta tell us young guns a lot more than once before we listen and oftentimes it takes a dismal event to make us understand;) that is def one kooky idea though Idk how you would even make an appropriate set-up to do that haha

haha orange blood sometimes you gotta tell us young guns a lot more than once before we listen and oftentimes it takes a dismal event to make us understand;) that is def one kooky idea though Idk how you would even make an appropriate set-up to do that haha

LOL! He tried to explain the set up and I was lost! Another good one was clones will take root in the dark. I actually had him try it and after a week he had a nasty tray of mold and slime.
One thing I've learned is that I must explain why we do something rather than just how. :Rasta:

and hey papa green had to agree with MH i went back and was lookin at that scrog work and damn dude that is freakin art work I'm thinkin bout scrogin my next flower cycle to make things a lil more managable and so i don't have to worry bout height issues so i will be askin a lot o questions come june:goodjob:

hey papa have you ever thought about letting you plants grow more threw the screen? ive seen some SCROG grows where the screen was 20" high and his plants grew higher threw the screen and his yield is off the hook. he get about 12oz from one plant with a 400w hps. he only uses two nutes threw the whole grow GH flora micro and flora bloom also known as the Lucas formula. sometimes more plants under SCROG dosent equal more yield.
here is what i am talking about this is one plant witch is white widow grown in DWC under a 400w cool tube. 120z
002433.jpg

019101.jpg

09721.jpg

I think a ScrOG can become counter productive. As the plants get crowded into the screen they sense the crowding and slow their growth. In the ScrOG pictured above the screen is merely there to support the branches. Since there is no crowding the plant does not slow down.

I think a ScrOG can become counter productive. As the plants get crowded into the screen they sense the crowding and slow their growth. In the ScrOG pictured above the screen is merely there to support the branches. Since there is no crowding the plant does not slow down.

was i right when i first told you about that with ur SCROG? i always been meaning to ask you that? did u think ur total plant number effected ur yield? i mean you had a good point more plants = a filler screen with less veg time. and i was saying to opposite less plants more veg time will yield more. whats ur take on this with ur grow, do u think the yield would have been more or was it just the leds?

was i right when i first told you about that with ur SCROG? i always been meaning to ask you that? did u think ur total plant number effected ur yield? i mean you had a good point more plants = a filler screen with less veg time. and i was saying to opposite less plants more veg time will yield more. whats ur take on this with ur grow, do u think the yield would have been more or was it just the leds?

Both are right. I think there's a smidge more to each equation. Also, before I make excuses, not only are both right - but those are exactly the things I've been trying to improve.

Now then - the excuses...

As far as number of plants and crowding and veg time - they all go together. The only real goal is to fill the scrog as densely as possible with tops. Buds that are woven are good, but its really the tops that are the key. So if you wanna do fewer or more plants, whatever combination you want for size of individual tops, vs faster veg time with more plants.

So that's why that scrog and harvest in the pic are so good. And, BTW - that is STELLAR!! He got all his tops up above the scrog. That was what I didn't do so well on the last. Was horizontally as dense as possible, but not great vertically. Also, that strain is notorious for small nugs and a lower yield and when you see what the clones from those plants look like you will see why they didn't get better colas. Very very healthy, but just the same small nug all over the plant.

Now - wait til you see the current Barneys scrog. I believe it will demonstrate what I'm talking about. Not only is it as dense as the other, but it is growing about 18" ABOVE the scrog. I would show a pic but I'm saving them for the new journal. Should be tonight or tomorrow.
:smokin:

Great questions and comments guys. I really like it when folks call me on the details. + Reps to both.

Back
Top Bottom