Inkbird Digital Display ITC- 608T

The red wavelengths are indeed the ones that interfere with the flowering hormones (phytochrome Pr and Pfr), meaning too much exposure to red light could cause the plants to re-veg. I don't know about hermie. That said, the amount of red light coming off that display is very minimal, and I'm guessing not enough to make a difference. I mean, if it was right next to the buds, maybe.

Is it possible to mount the Inkbird outside of the room or tent? I just ordered 2 Inkbirds to monitor my bud drying setup, and they will be mounted outside of the drying box.

I could mount outside the room but then the sensors would be to far from where I want to monitor..plus now four more holes in the wall.
Wonder why these manufacturers don’t make monitors with a open/close , face cover?..

How big is the room? How far would be too far? Wouldn't you need just one hole for the 2 probe cords to go through?

Green light is photosynthetically active. According the Bugbee, green is no safer than any other color. His advice - if you must work during lights out, use as little light as possible and work quickly.

This is a promo video that he does on "reagent grade darkness".
I have used a green headlamp at night in my flower house. No problems.

Good to hear.

The color of the light does not matter and, listening to his presentation, I was surpised as to how much light it takes to cause an issue.
It is very well established that the flowering hormones, Pr and Pfr, respond specifically to wavelengths of red light ("red" and "far red"). Does Bugbee challenge this?

If plants in veg are exposed to red light (wavelength of 660 nanometers), Pr converts to Pfr, and flowering is inhibited. Only a short flash of low-intensity red light is required. It's like a toggle switch.

I illuminate my veg house at night with low-intensity (13w), full-spectrum LED lights – which include the 660nm wavelength - to prevent flowering. I use a few minutes at midnight, 2am, and 4am. Even though there's lots of light, the lowest branches of the plants will start to flower, because they are shaded by the upper branches. The more dense the upper foliage, the more flowering occurs on the lowest branches.

I'll bet that if I illuminated the lower part of a test plant with a green bulb, on the same schedule, it would still start to flower. Easy test.

I have used a green headlamp at night in my flower house. No problems.

yeah they are made for that exact purpose. i've heard of them used in larger commercial grows but haven't seen it in person.

Good to hear.

The color of the light does not matter and, listening to his presentation, I was surprised as to how much light it takes to cause an issue.

could be it takes a more intense light if in that part of the spectrum. the leaves of plants are green as that is the wavelength they don't absorb. it looks green to us as that is what is reflected back.

Great info. I use a green screen light app for phone. You can change the color and brightness. Might not be safe either, but allowed me to work in dark. I've never had lucky with the green headlamp.

Now all my lights are set appropriately to my gardening hours. Don't have to worry no more.

could be it takes a more intense light if in that part of the spectrum. the leaves of plants are green as that is the wavelength they don't absorb. it looks green to us as that is what is reflected back.
I've heard that for decades and it struck me as strange because I was taught in grammar school (high school in NA) that it was the green colored chlorophyll in the chloroplasts that caused us to perceive leaves as green. That was some time ago but, from what I can determine, it is still correct.

In terms of plants being able to use green light for photosynthesis, there's a good body of evidence to support that assertion.

Green light is included in the spectrum of emissions in the 400-700nm range labelled "photosynthetically active radiation" ("PAR") . I've taken it on faith that's because the radiation falling in that range is photosynthetically active.

The McCree curve was the initial research into what became PAR. Images of the curve are ubiquitous, one example is here:
1710277517787.png

Snarfed from - https://www.researchgate.net/profil...umens-as-represented-by-their-comparative.png

The Y axis label, "Relative Photosynthetic Efficiency" indicates that green photons are photosynthetically active.

The Wikipedia, the source of all true knowledge (Photosynthetically active radiation - Wikipedia) discusses the part that green photons play in photosynthesis. The graphic below is from that discussion:

1710277652068.png

On the Wiki page, these are the titles of the papers in the first two footnotes:

"Green Light Drives Leaf Photosynthesis More Efficiently than Red Light in Strong White Light: Revisiting the Enigmatic Question of Why Leaves are Green"

"Green Light Drives CO Fixation Deep within Leaves"

Per Bugbee, showing the deep penetration of green light into the leaf where it penetrates the "leaf all the way to the bottom. It lights up the spongy mesophyll. It's terrific for its…"
1710276485226.png

Source unknown. Deals with absorption of photons and demonstrates the absorption of photons in plant leaves, plant species is unknown.

1710276344169.png

Interesting mention of green working synergistically, reminiscent (to me) of the synergy between deep red and far red, perhaps.

1710276371910.png

I said, "It is very well established that the flowering hormones, Pr and Pfr, respond specifically to wavelengths of red light ("red" and "far red"). Does Bugbee challenge this?"
Not that I'm aware of.
So then, the color of the light (wavelength) does matter in terms of the flowering hormones. This is independent from whether or not the wavelengths are photosynthetically active.

As far as I know, studies were done to establish the effects of the flowering hormones using just the "red" and "far red" wavelengths, without other wavelengths present. It turns out that a full spectrum bulb will accomplish the same thing, in terms of preventing flowering.

I said, "It is very well established that the flowering hormones, Pr and Pfr, respond specifically to wavelengths of red light ("red" and "far red"). Does Bugbee challenge this?"

So then, the color of the light (wavelength) does matter in terms of the flowering hormones. This is independent from whether or not the wavelengths are photosynthetically active.

As far as I know, studies were done to establish the effects of the flowering hormones using just the "red" and "far red" wavelengths, without other wavelengths present. It turns out that a full spectrum bulb will accomplish the same thing, in terms of preventing flowering.
I think you brought it up earlier that flowering initiation is a result of red and far red.

My vague recollection is that it was a change in the ratio of those two parts of the spectrum that caused the plant to go into flower. Does that ring a bell or am I off base there?

Back
Top Bottom