Is a 1000w led light to big for a 2x2x4 grow tent

We’ve all seen that “1000watt equivalent” on the side of an 80 watt blurple light. That will be a good light for starting seedlings or a backup light for emergency but yes you’ll probably want to upgrade to something more modern and about 2-400 real watts for that tent.

Just have to understand the limitations and work with them. Expecting that low light will work just as good does not cut it.
I mean sure if you apply microgrower tactics one can do things with little, but still that's a lot of work to start out with and get right..

Woah Justin it's a 2x2 by 4 it seems.. so yeah keeping low canopy is already a skill that needs to be learned with this tent..

I mean sure if you apply microgrower tactics one can do things with little, but still that's a lot of work to start out with and get right..
I went in with know the limitations of T-5 LED fixtures so I was pleasantly surprised when other growers mentioned that what I was pulling off was great and nothing to be ashamed of. It did not happen on the first harvest but what I needed to do fell into place soon enough.

I went in with know the limitations of T-5 LED fixtures so I was pleasantly surprised when other growers mentioned that what I was pulling off was great and nothing to be ashamed of. It did not happen on the first harvest but what I needed to do fell into place soon enough.
i ran t5's in the early 80's. we had banks and banks of them. hid actually chewed through less power when we upgraded. we ran seedlings and early to mid veg under t5's for a long time after we went to hid before led.

Personally, I wouldn’t cheap out on a light. This is a device that will be running 18 hours a day (then 12 for months on end), or, 2000+ hours over 4-6 months. It’s one of the most critical components of an indoor grow and is worth spending extra on. Even with flowering plants removed from the equation, there’s still the safety of it. You don’t want a cheap or ineffective electrical device in your home running that much, especially if you plan on leaving your house while growing.

There’s some great lights for great prices through our sponsors if price is a big concern. Good luck OP!

I own 2 Marshydro TS 1000. They are 150 watts. Look for deals. I bought one for $98 and the other for $85 I think. In my 2 x4 space I can grow six 3 gallon plants.

Personally, I wouldn’t cheap out on a light. This is a device that will be running 18 hours a day (then 12 for months on end), or, 2000+ hours over 4-6 months. It’s one of the most critical components of an indoor grow and is worth spending extra on. Even with flowering plants removed from the equation, there’s still the safety of it. You don’t want a cheap or ineffective electrical device in your home running that much, especially if you plan on leaving your house while growing.
Not cheap lights. I went in with a good idea of what was what and chose light fixtures that had a reputation of being usable, lights that I had talked to previous users about, lights that had a company rep I could talk to about and so on. These are not the types of cheap light fixtures that have no phone number or anyone to back them up. I kept the receipt and if any fixture, pod or lamp went out while under warranty I took it back and had it replaced while I waited.

In the end it is all a matter of having a rough idea of is happening and what will happen down the road. Plus I was very curious as to what the issues would be and how to work around them.

So, yes, buy decent lighting, know what you are getting into, understand the limitations but do not buy 'cheap'.

i ran t5's in the early 80's. we had banks and banks of them. hid actually chewed through less power when we upgraded. we ran seedlings and early to mid veg under t5's for a long time after we went to hid before led.
Yes, the power draw is a bit more and that has made me consider single fixtures that would fill the tent but I am still happy with and having fun with the banks and banks of T-5s.

I've already bought grand daddy purple seeds for outdoor and going to use one for this indoor grow any tips would be greatly appreciated... minimum pot size?
As the original poster on this thread one of the easiest things is to figure out how much you can afford to spend on a light and then add 10% before looking for something. Check out the Sponsors page and see what the lighting and supply sponsors have to offer.

In a 2X2 you're gonna want about 150 watts (draw from the socket). I finally found that the draw on that light is 100 watts. So, for vegging it will work, but you'll need something bigger for flowering.
When my brother used these lights he had two of them and did four plants in a bigger space everything turned out okay I think I might ride this one out and upgrade later I could always put the other light up for flower

I’m using a sf2000 in a 2x4 and this is the results start to finish
IMG_5160.jpeg

When my brother used these lights he had two of them and did four plants in a bigger space everything turned out okay I think I might ride this one out and upgrade later I could always put the other light up for flower
You can do that, they will grow, you'll lose a iittle in quality/yield, but you'll get results. In the future look for something in the 200W range with a dimmer.

I’m using a sf2000 in a 2x4 and this is the results start to finish
IMG_5160.jpeg
Wow they are beauty's been kinds look around and I'm leaning towards spider farms but with the sf1000...would the 2000 fit in a 2x2 without issue or would it be unnecessary for that size of tent ?

If he had two of those that's already a difference.. that would get you something but it really pales in comparison with well better lights.
The SF1000 will fit the SF2000 will already be too big it's like 64cm and well a 2'x2' is 60x60cm
The SF1000 is a bit low though..It's also 100watt although should be a difference with the purple light.. 150 to 200watt would be better. It's better to have a bit extra power and dim.. then if you need it it's there.

Wow they are beauty's been kinds look around and I'm leaning towards spider farms but with the sf1000...would the 2000 fit in a 2x2 without issue or would it be unnecessary for that size of tent ?
This is my first ever indoor grow and setup, I’d say it would fit and be ok I’ll measure the light tomorrow when I feed and let you know. Many more people here could help you. Lots of very experienced people who I’d say have been there and done that. Happy and safe growing 👍

IMO. the best light going for a 2 x 2 x 4 currently, when it comes to value for price and peformance, is the VIparSpectra XS1500 Pro. 150w.

$100 on Amazon.

I'm currently running a ScrOG in a 2 x 2 to alleviate the height issues. Link to the journal is in the sig below. 2 x 2 Mystery ScrOG.

@cLaire12 - Just an FYI but the way you size a light for your tent is to measure the square footage and multiply it by 35w for minimum light coverage and 55w for maximum.

35w is the minimum amount of watts you want per sq/ft in a tent. 2x2=4 sq/ft. 4 x 35w = 140. 140w is the minimum you want in a 2x2. 4 x 55w = 220w. 220w is the maximum you want in a 2 x 2.

I used an sf1000 in a 2x2 for my first grow journal on here.
It'll get the job done, but I agree with @Trump here, the XS 1500 Pro is better.
Really good price too.

Back
Top Bottom