Iwltfum's Recirculating Coco GH Journal - Harlequin - Blackwater OG - China Jack

May I ask how you prepared your tea?

Well these are the directions from the bag:
Casting tea - Soak 1 part castings in 3 parts water for 12-24 hours. Stir well and water as usual.

And then I realized that was ALOT of castings because I needed to make a couple gallons of water and only had about 2 gallons of castings. So I think I used about 1-2 cups of castings per gallon of water (I measured by eyeballing handfuls). Used a small aerator pump (8L/min) with a couple air stones. I stirred it about 4 or 5 times over a 22 hour period. Then I diluted it by half and then applied it to the soil. The pH was 6.8 when I checked it before I watered so I didn't mess with it.

EDIT: I also top dressed castings for both of them (as I do with all my veggies and other types of garden plants, for that matter).

UPDATE: about the clones (DAY 11)
Found my first roots today. I believe they were on a couple of the chinajacks. Lights come on in a sec, so I'll add some pictures soon.

I went over to a buddies house the the other day and took some cuttings off his snowwreck because we have the same cut of it and mine was looking bad. So that's why these pictures have more clones in them than before.

IMG_047332.JPG

IMG_047431.JPG

IMG_047529.JPG

IMG_047625.JPG

Good job on the clones!!! I still dont know how you dont put them in a tray of water... You must check them two times a day! I put about a inch of water in the tray and check them 7-14 days later lol... ROOTS!

Good job on the clones!!! I still dont know how you dont put them in a tray of water... You must check them two times a day! I put about a inch of water in the tray and check them 7-14 days later lol... ROOTS!

Thanks hunternitro!

There were two things that I didn't end up liking about my egg crate idea:
1)When the roots started to come out of the bottom of the rockwool they wanted to grow down into the dark spaces and when I lifted them up to check for roots, it broke a couple of the longer ones off.
2)You're right, I did have to water them once a day at least, and if I had the time, I would water them twice.

So after the roots breaking off, I decided to take the crate out and just put them in the bottom of the tray (like the tray on the right, in the top picture in my last post). I still haven't put too much water in there. I have time to water over the top at least once everyday. They are sitting in a bit of water now though so I'm not expecting to have to water as much.

Hehe! Awesome job! Yea they will grow in dark wet spots! It doesnt matter its about time to plant those anyway!!! I plant as soon as i see roots usually. Whats your plans with all of them?

Sweet, I'll probably plant the ones that I'm seeing roots on later today.

Planning to replace some moms first off. So I'll be replacing my harlequin, blackwater, and snowtrain under the mom T5.
Secondly, I'm going to start 2 more DWC's with 2 of the china jacks.
Third, I'm going to plant 1 harlequin, 3 china jack's, and 4 blackwaters in coco and run a recirculating coco table with them.
Assuming all of them root, that leaves me with 7 to give away at the grocery store ;)

im in..... Just bought some Harley seeds... gonna Germinate them AS soon as I get them... hard to get them over here... :popcorn:

Welcome! It would be great to see someone else running harlequin. I'm curious how the seeds turn out. My cut is from the original HOD mom.

Have you grown black water before?? I loved growing it and my patients really loved it.

Yep. I've grown it for several years. No one ever has any complaints about it. It's a pain in the ass to trim though.

******UPDATE*******
--SEEDS:
Four of the six seeds were ready for planting today so I mixed some coco/perlite/castings (60%/25%/15%) last night and planted today. Three Hashplants and the only high priority. The other two have cracked and started putting out the tap root but it's not quite the length I like it to be for planting. They will probably go in to the soil tomorrow. Here's a picture of the soon-to-be yougings:
IMG_047826.JPG

--CLONES (DAY 13 and DAY 6):
I decided to toss the harlequin clones. I didn't see any evidence of roots forming so I started to tug lightly on them one by one, and sure enough, no roots on any of them. Some of them had red or black fungus attacking the cut spot. I've heard that it's a hard plant to clone. On the other hand, all the other clones are looking sprightly. The snowwreck clones (day 6) on the right are about a week behind.
IMG_047929.JPG

--NEWLY PLANTED CLONES:
Yesterday, I planted 3 china jacks and 1 blackwater in 1L pots coco/perlite (70%/30%).
IMG_047730.JPG

Sorry I haven't updated in a while folks. It has been a wild ride the past couple of weeks between root aphids and heat. I think I have the aphid problem controlled although I'm not completely rid of them, there has been a marked decrease in their presence and they are getting to be hard to find. Happy to say that all of my plants are still alive, but one looks like it might not make it to the end of her bloom cycle. Still holding out hope.

--NEWLY PLANTED CLONES:
For my next round, I decided to do a SOG/SCROG with the most recent cuttings. I basically need to do it this way to cut down on veg time because my current harvest has been severely crippled by the root aphids and it's not going to produce as much as it should. This is going to be a multi-strain grow. ChinaJack, SnowWreck, Blackwater OG, Jack Frost and maybe a couple others (I can't remember).

--OUTSIDE PLANTS:
They are doing great. Couldn't ask for any better growth with them. I have been feeding them fox farm trio at 50% strength 2x per week. For their last feeding, I gave them molasses, yucca extract, and dr willards plant catalyst with the water to give them a break from the heavy nutrients for a sec.

--SEEDS:
True to form, my seedlings are yellowing and growing very slowly. I had just given them worm castings up until a couple days ago when I started giving them fox farm big bloom. I'm thinking about upping the amount of big bloom. It seems to be helping a little for now, but they obviously need more. Two of the hash plant seedlings popped up and then promptly died, not exactly sure what happened, but I ended up with two hash plants, one high priority fem, one blue cheese fem, and I started germinating a sour kosher a couple days ago that was big enough to plant today.

Will post pictures in a few minutes

--NEWLY PLANTED CLONES:

1liter pots
IMG_051830.JPG

3gallon pots
IMG_051933.JPG

--OUTSIDE PLANTS:

Green Crack
IMG_051433.JPG

SnowWreck:
IMG_051632.JPG

Blackwater:
IMG_051533.JPG

--SEEDS:

IMG_052030.JPG

So I think I'm giving up this recirculating thing. Causing me too many headaches. I originally set it up that way because I was tired of keeping up with emptying drain buckets (because I don't have a way to drain directly to the outside or any another drain pipe), but now I think it's worth it for the benefits of a "drain to waste" system. This is kind of old news in my head, but I just realized I hadn't posted anything about it. I've been draining to waste for the past couple of weeks now, and while growth is a tiny bit slower (just because they are new plants and the medium stays wet for a couple of days without watering), I'm relived to find no more root aphids or fungus gnats for the time being (fingers crossed).

Looking good iwltfum! I didn't even realize you had a journal until I stumbled across it. Maybe update your sig?

Anyway, I'm along for the ride!

Good to have you on board jojo! Looking forward to your input.

Looking good iwltfum! I didn't even realize you had a journal until I stumbled across it. Maybe update your sig?

Anyway, I'm along for the ride!

I've also mentioned this. This is a talented guy that would have a cult behind him if he started a signature. Haha maybe that's enough reason not too.

All the best, friends!

Back
Top Bottom