Iwltfum's Recirculating Coco GH Journal - Harlequin - Blackwater OG - China Jack

Bummer. I never heard of russet mites before recently. I'm off to google them and see what the buggers look like. Best of luck with them

Edit. That was scary reading. A bit of a doomsday scenario actually, from a couple sites anyway.
From the sounds of it though you already know how best to do with them. From what I read I sounded like heat was the best way to eradicate them (?) depending on the logistics of that?

"Russet, Cyclamen or Broad mites are very sensitive to heat. They are more difficult to control in winter than in summer due to lower greenhouse temperatures.

Hot Water Treatment: Soaking infested plants in water held at 111 - 115 degrees F for 15 minutes will destroy these mites without damage to most plants. (Not recommended for Medical or Hemp growers: use Hot Air Treatment)
Hot Air Treatment: This method can only be used in contained areas (areas or rooms that can be sealed) by raising the air temperature to 115 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Best results were reported using (at least) two circulation fans to create some vortex. As all eggs may not be terminated using this method, weekly repeat applications may be necessary to achieve desired results."

I read that recently when I was catching up on the topic when I realized I had them again. It sounds sketchy to me though. When I first dealt with these mites, there was basically no information on the internet about what worked and didn't work for people so I had to just figure out what killed them myself. As far as I could tell, the sulfur burner worked the best (that's what I think finally killed them off). But all that sulfur burning did sever damage to the plants and so I'm going to try spinosad/iso everyday for a week and then ever other day or so for another week. I've heard very good things about spinosad as well as alcohol and I love combining iso with mite sprays, so I'm going to combine it with spinosad and see if it does any damage. If it doesn't seem to be working after the fist week. I'm just going to burn sulfur. I know it's not a good idea to use oil sprays and sulfur right after each other like that, but I've done it before and my plants survived so, if that's what it takes, then I'm all for it. Plus my sulfur burner is not working anymore so I don't want to have to go out and buy a new one.

You can't actually see the mites with the naked eye. The mites that I found with a 60x loupe were hard to identify as anything other than just a white speck. They looked about 10x smaller than a spider mite maybe more like 20-30x smaller.

The doomsday scenarios are just hype. The mites showed up a couple of years ago in the western us (as a vagrant species - which pretty much means "someone" put them here). The reason everyone freaked out about them so much is because there were no published results on the internet about controlling them. Now that a couple years have passed, the cannabis community knows alot more about them and methods for eradication (although it's still a relatively new beast).

Root aphids - now that's a doomsday scenario. Only control is toxic, synthetic pesticides. Now that I've had those fuckers, russet mites might seem like a breeze (knocking on wood). I actually suspect that the root aphids made the plants weak enough to let the russets take hold. I was very surprised that I had any bugs at all after applying some serious pesticides in my grow room in the past month. It made me think that I had TMV right off the bat, but there are definitely bugs on the leaf - now that I've looked with some magnification.

I don't understand how there are usually ninety-something views on each FAQ thread before it even gets replied to once, but it only seems like a handful of people are answering those questions. Probably not more than 10 on a regular basis. Most recent threads that are more than a couple hours old (and less than a couple days old) have been viewed around 200 times. Who are all these viewers and why are they so interested in looking in if they have no interest in answering/asking questions? The view count on a thread doesn't go up when I look at it twice in a row and I'm pretty sure non-members don't get counted in the number of views - so I'm assuming all these views are from different members? Who are all these people?
:ganjamon:

Haha I have wondered this myself as well. I always notice there's 200 views on something as simple as "Hello" but no replies. What were people thinking they were gonna read? Haha.

I was assuming that non-members do count in the number of views which would explain the ratio. I was also assuming that my view somehow doesn't count in the tally I see. It doesn't appear to anyway.
I've also seen threads which have replies or likes from other members, but show Zero views. Is this because a member was in 'Stealth mode'?
I don't know yet what stealth mode is.
It is kind of hard to believe that there are so many people hanging on every word who haven't signed up. However, when I look at the number of people in the 'who's online' link- it's usually about 35 non members on the forum, for every member. I just looked now and there is almost 4000 non members and 157 members online- so about 25 to one at the moment.
There is a whole lot of stuff on this site I haven't figured out yet, or found. Including the instruction manual.

I was assuming that non-members do count in the number of views which would explain the ratio. I was also assuming that my view somehow doesn't count in the tally I see. It doesn't appear to anyway.
I've also seen threads which have replies or likes from other members, but show Zero views. Is this because a member was in 'Stealth mode'?
I don't know yet what stealth mode is.
It is kind of hard to believe that there are so many people hanging on every word who haven't signed up. However, when I look at the number of people in the 'who's online' link- it's usually about 35 non members on the forum, for every member. I just looked now and there is almost 4000 non members and 157 members online- so about 25 to one at the moment.
There is a whole lot of stuff on this site I haven't figured out yet, or found. Including the instruction manual.

Haha I have wondered this myself as well. I always notice there's 200 views on something as simple as "Hello" but no replies. What were people thinking they were gonna read? Haha.

Wow. I wonder who all those people ARE?? 4000 people? Christ.
I don't know what stealth mode is either and it doesn't seem to do anything when I press it. The green dot next to my name is still there. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is confused by these things. :laughtwo:

I figured there are a lot of people who want to learn stuff, but not show themselves- like nearly every cash cropper there is out there.
Hi cash croppers! Or whoever you are... :)
I have heard that if you are visiting the site on a computer there are help options/explanations that pop up when you hover over a link- but on the cell phone everything is pretty damn concentrated and I've yet to find any explanation of how most things function. It's kind of a never ending puzzle I've been picking away at. There are many things on this site I do not know how to use properly. The search function is a major one. I figured it's probably my mistake/ignorance that I haven't found explanations- and since I've never joined any other forums- I don't know if they all have a lot in common when it comes to the nuts and bolts/programming.

I just found a fresh batch of thrips on my one veg girl that I put outside during the day. A lot easier to deal with than those mites of yours.

I must have found and killed about 40 in 2 search and destroy missions today but should find a lot less tomorrow. Different ones than the last time. Dark brown instead of pale green and show up really well on the undersides of the leaves and not bad on the tops either. I thought I saw a couple mites too so will scope any more I see and if it's mites out comes the neem oil!

Good luck with your little demons.

L8r

I believe stealth mode is so that you can hide the fact that you are logged in here. Haven't tried it myself.

A lot of those views you guys are wondering about are bots and spiders crawling the web gathering up all the new stuff. Google, Bing and all sorts of companies are always searching every site of the web. Many of them will be lurkers and members too that are just hunting down info for themselves and for whatever reason don't want to interact with other members or in the lurkers case worry that even joining a site like this may lead cops or rippers to their place. You're not paranoid when they really are out to get you!

L8r

I figured there are a lot of people who want to learn stuff, but not show themselves- like nearly every cash cropper there is out there.
Hi cash croppers! Or whoever you are... :)
I have heard that if you are visiting the site on a computer there are help options/explanations that pop up when you hover over a link- but on the cell phone everything is pretty damn concentrated and I've yet to find any explanation of how most things function. It's kind of a never ending puzzle I've been picking away at. There are many things on this site I do not know how to use properly. The search function is a major one. I figured it's probably my mistake/ignorance that I haven't found explanations- and since I've never joined any other forums- I don't know if they all have a lot in common when it comes to the nuts and bolts/programming.

I can't remember the exact syntax WC but you use Google or whatever to search 420magazine.com/forums and it will do a lot better job of finding specific stuff than the sites search engine. I use Startpage. They go through Google but don't log your IP.

I found the info to do that kind of search

Just use your own search engine (Google, Yahoo!, DuckDuckGo, whatever) and add the term "site:420magazine.com/forums" to your search query to restrict results to the 420 forums.

Additional tip for those using Firefox:
Install the addon Search Site. Than you do not need to enter the site:... expression manually.

L8r

Thanks Omu. I actually do that now- search 420 on google. It does work better at bringing up the info I need. But i figured it's just because I don't know what the hell I'm doing and haven't figured out how to use the search option here properly.

The search option here is messed up. I always tell people to click the search bar before you even type anything just to bring up the next page. Cause I've found that no matter what you type into the search bar. It brings you to the next page of search options anyways.

What's the point?

Yeah the search function doesn't work that well. And it's alot harder to navigate than google is. Sucks about these bugs oldmed. It is bug season though (here at least) so I guess I should have expected it. Good luck killing those thrips off.

I tested the soil mix with a "rapid test" soil tester - which I've heard mixed reviews about - and it tested at a pH of about 7 maybe 7.1 or 7.2. The nitrogen test showed a surplus, Phos showed sufficient to surplus, and Potassium showed sufficient to surplus. I performed the test 2 times, with different soak intervals and from different parts of the same soil mix and got pretty much similar results. The results concern me a little, but the plant in the soil doesn't show any signs of stress and it's been in that soil for 4 or 5 days (I think). So I'm not convinced quite yet. I think I might mix up a half and half batch (coco/perilte)/(soil mix) and plant a couple of them in there, because if I can bring the nitrogen down to a good level, I think the Phos and Potassium should end up at decent levels as well. Will post pictures of the BWOG that is in the soil mix in a few minutes.

BWOG in the new - apparently very strong - soil mix.
IMG_054731.JPG
IMG_054627.JPG
IMG_054830.JPG

Having a bit of surplus isn't a bad thing. Just means it won't need to be replenished so soon. As the plant gets bigger it will go down to sufficient then to FEED ME! :)

Having said that I notice the first signs of heat stress with the jagged edges of the leaves starting to fold up. The plant gets rid of more water along the edges so they do that trying to increase evaporating/transpiration. If there is excess nutes they get drawn to the edges with the water and they start going brown from the points. I'm not seeing that so I wouldn't worry about burn yet. High humidity retards the plant's ability to shed water so that is another cause of that folding.

She's looking pretty good!

L8r

Having a bit of surplus isn't a bad thing. Just means it won't need to be replenished so soon. As the plant gets bigger it will go down to sufficient then to FEED ME! :)

Having said that I notice the first signs of heat stress with the jagged edges of the leaves starting to fold up. The plant gets rid of more water along the edges so they do that trying to increase evaporating/transpiration. If there is excess nutes they get drawn to the edges with the water and they start going brown from the points. I'm not seeing that so I wouldn't worry about burn yet. High humidity retards the plant's ability to shed water so that is another cause of that folding.

She's looking pretty good!

L8r

I appreciate the sound advice OMU. That's exactly what I thought when I first popped this seed. I've had this strain for a while and it ways does that - even in the best conditions. Sometimes it forms double tips, where the tips of the jagged edges fork out (EDIT: I guess split down the middle and form two tips would be a better way to describe it). Really strange genetic issues with this pheno, but it produces some awesome bud so some deformed/oddly shaped leaves obviously isn't getting in it's way.
Temps under that light haven't gone above 81f (avg day temp ~79) in a week or two and the humidity is around 40.

I don't care what they look like if they put out awesome bud I'd grow 'em!

One of my plants does that a bit too. Seems like on leaves that aren't the closest to the light too which is a bit weird.

I've had a few funky plants over the years. A triploid. 3 fans at each node. Didn't get 50% more tho. lol

Twice had males go reverse hermie and start putting out female flowers. Dispatched with extreme prejudice!

One that looked like a bunch of romaine lettuce. Tiny little buds with little buzz.

Oh. I had a seed that grew out two tails but the plant looked like the others.

Believe it or NOT!

L8r

I didn't know that about the high RH impairing transpiration. I believe you were implying that to me the other day in part of your answer to my posts on my cupped leaves problem. I was wondering if that's what you meant .. I assumed that high RH would make them transpire easier somehow. I transpire easier in high RH. Maybe that's where the assumption came from.

Back
Top Bottom