Junior Grower First Time

Day 49, both of them still alive,

I search on internet, they said this auto havest at 70 - 80 days. There's 20 - 30 days left.

invest in a USB microscope or a jewelers loupe with 50x magnification or higher, but the USB scope is the much wiser choice and they're relatively cheap. You want to keep the plant alive long enough for the majority of trichomes to change from clear to cloudy. Some people go a little further and let some trics change from cloudy to amber, but anywhere in the range of cloudy to amber trics is when you want to harvest.

invest in a USB microscope or a jewelers loupe with 50x magnification or higher, but the USB scope is the much wiser choice and they're relatively cheap. You want to keep the plant alive long enough for the majority of trichomes to change from clear to cloudy. Some people go a little further and let some trics change from cloudy to amber, but anywhere in the range of cloudy to amber trics is when you want to harvest.

Thanks for the tips, the white things on my plants surface, is that trichomes?

the white things on my plants surface, is that trichomes?

yes, that's the active ingredient in the smoke where most of the medicine is. Right now, they're all most likely still clear, but as she matures and they ripen, the majority of them will become cloudy/milky filled, then after that the cloudiness changes into an amber color. Cloudy trichomes generally offers more of a head high, or less of a body stone, but as you allow them to age and become amber trics, the high/potency intensifies and you feel a lot stronger of a body stone that has a sedative-like effect. You'll have to consider which types of medical benefits you seek and try to plan what level of maturity you'll want to accomplish at harvest to have the best chance for success.

yes, that's the active ingredient in the smoke where most of the medicine is. Right now, they're all most likely still clear, but as she matures and they ripen, the majority of them will become cloudy/milky filled, then after that the cloudiness changes into an amber color. Cloudy trichomes generally offers more of a head high, or less of a body stone, but as you allow them to age and become amber trics, the high/potency intensifies and you feel a lot stronger of a body stone that has a sedative-like effect. You'll have to consider which types of medical benefits you seek and try to plan what level of maturity you'll want to accomplish at harvest to have the best chance for success.

How long it takes for cloudy trichomes change to amber color?

How long it takes for cloudy trichomes change to amber color?

There's not definitive time frame for this to occur, so it will boil down to when you determine the right mixture is achieved. Generally speaking, a strain that is predominantly Indica will ripen (cloudy trics) at about 8 weeks and strains that are predominantly Sativa will ripen past 10 weeks. I personally don't enjoy the sedating effects gained with lots of amber trics so my preferred harvest window is maximum cloudy, minimal clear and amber. Sometimes it doesn't work out perfectly, but your window can easily have a many day tolerence, so it's not a super critical science. Lots of growers aim to harvest when their trics are 10%-20% amber. As I said, I like closer to 0% amber, but a couple more or less is also fine with me. My very first successful grow was WW crossed with Skunk#1 and I think I dropped her at 9 weeks. Everyone was telling me I needed another week or two, but exigent circumstances forced me to cut it down. As everyone predicted, it was definitely too early to harvest. It got me buzzed up, but none of my friends got high from it. My guess is your WW will need about 10 weeks, though you will need to A) research the strains traits to the best of your ability by looking at finished journals, but also you will need a way to magnify your vision, albeit USB scope, or jeweler's loupe @ 50x strength. You look at various patches of trics and get a general estimation of what you see clear>cloudy>amber. After your harvest and the buds dry, the trics continue to degrade such that more cloudy trics continue to turn amber, so if you harvest just a little before your desired percentage, maybe after a week or two you'll actually be right where you want to be in that percentage range.

Oh damn, I just remembered that you're growing autos which operate by a different measure of time so disregard my comments about weeks to maturity. That is specific to photo period plants. I believe autos need to rely on trics only to know when to harvest. A general visual queue is that most of the pistils (white hairs) themselves will amber (turn brown/orange/red/gold) which is a sign of maturing and I would expect your window to be 1-3 weeks after then. On some strains, the pistils stay green (white) for a bit longer than other strains. If my memory is good, I predict your WW to be one of the strains where the pistils stay green longer so maybe when they amber you will have another week or two, but those are very rough estimates of course. I've never grown an auto, I am a control freak.

Oh damn, I just remembered that you're growing autos which operate by a different measure of time so disregard my comments about weeks to maturity. That is specific to photo period plants. I believe autos need to rely on trics only to know when to harvest. A general visual queue is that most of the pistils (white hairs) themselves will amber (turn brown/orange/red/gold) which is a sign of maturing and I would expect your window to be 1-3 weeks after then. On some strains, the pistils stay green (white) for a bit longer than other strains. If my memory is good, I predict your WW to be one of the strains where the pistils stay green longer so maybe when they amber you will have another week or two, but those are very rough estimates of course. I've never grown an auto, I am a control freak.

I go check just now, WW2 have estimate 10% of amber pistils and WW1 have 60% of ember pistils. And I just spotted there's some trichomes on WW2 start to turn amber. My jewel loupe still on it's way, there's no way I can know if the trichomes turn cloudy.

I am glad I brought auto and try it out, use it for practice. But if everything goes well, I plan to grow non-auto in future, i read some grow diaries, it seems fun.

I go check just now, WW2 have estimate 10% of amber pistils and WW1 have 60% of ember pistils. And I just spotted there's some trichomes on WW2 start to turn amber. My jewel loupe still on it's way, there's no way I can know if the trichomes turn cloudy.

I am glad I brought auto and try it out, use it for practice. But if everything goes well, I plan to grow non-auto in future, i read some grow diaries, it seems fun.

Non auto is called "photo period" and doesn't bloom until we adjust the light schedule to have more darkness. Then you can keep them in vegetative growth for longer so you can build many branches and many tops, then when you start bloom, she'll grow many buds. This is how I grow and usually harvest about a pound of dry bud.

If your cellphone has a zoomable camera, it might be able to zoom in far enough to see trichomes.

Day 55, I accidentally drop some dirt on WW1 surface, and it looks like amber under the grow light. So there's no amber trichomes at all, but there's amber postils. My bad.

I took photo on my DSLR + cellphone cam. Looks like cellphone cam perfore better than my DSLR.

---------------------------------
WW2,

---------------------------------
And WW1,

IDK about autos, but 55 days seems a bit short. Did you happen to write down what date you first noticed pistils? I predict 2-3 more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom