Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to skip the terpene part as my wife is starting to complain about all the stuff I've ordered on google lately......although I might try that at a later date when she calms down! For now, here's what I'm trying. I took the few grams of kief I had on hand and have it soaking in alcohol as I type (isopropanol). In a while I will let that evaporate and then try mixing with vg/pg and vaping. I'll see how that goes for now.
Better strain that before adding your vg/pg

Better strain that before adding your vg/pg
Yep I just did, thru a coffee filter. I'm now waiting impatiently for the alcohol to evaporate. I wasn't planning on heating this if possible. I tried to make a concentrate with alcohol a while ago and think I ruined it by evaporating the alcohol with too much heat. I might have to use a little heat to get the vg/pg to mix with the concentrate, we will see. I was also hoping the vape process itself would act as enough heat to decarb as you puff. Have you tried any vape recipies?

Yes the bar-b-que guy:yikes: when I distill my alcohol I never take it higher than 200f try to keep around 180f yes it will decarb as it vaporizes
see post #53

Yeah its the BBQ guy! This time I used a toaster oven at about 230F with the door opened a bit until the alcohol evaporated and then closed the door to let it decarb a bit. Then I let it cool some and added the vg/pg. About 10 ml. Its a bit cloudy and amber in color. I haven't tried it yet. I'll add more vg/pg if its too strong and maybe a little mint flavoring I have for regular juice. I might let my brother in law try it first, he's my guinea pig, he smokes the strongest weed you can buy all day every day. If it can get him stoned, I'll be unconscious! The last time I made a concentrate (BBQ) it still got me stoned but he said there was more in smoking a tea bag.....I also gave him some weed from my plant, from a branch that had cracked off before it was ready to pick. He tried it and told me to stick to growing potatoes....I need something that will redeem my reputation!

Yeah its the BBQ guy! This time I used a toaster oven at about 230F with the door opened a bit until the alcohol evaporated and then closed the door to let it decarb a bit. Then I let it cool some and added the vg/pg. About 10 ml. Its a bit cloudy and amber in color. I haven't tried it yet. I'll add more vg/pg if its too strong and maybe a little mint flavoring I have for regular juice. I might let my brother in law try it first, he's my guinea pig, he smokes the strongest weed you can buy all day every day. If it can get him stoned, I'll be unconscious! The last time I made a concentrate (BBQ) it still got me stoned but he said there was more in smoking a tea bag.....I also gave him some weed from my plant, from a branch that had cracked off before it was ready to pick. He tried it and told me to stick to growing potatoes....I need something that will redeem my reputation!
OK, so I think my brother in law has a major tolerance issue. I smoked half a small jointof the stuff that accidently cracked off a few weeks ago and got nicely stoned all afternoon! I know I'm a lightweight when it comes to weed, but if the prematurely early stuff got me stoned, then the later "good" stuff gotta have something in it!

OK, so I think my brother in law has a major tolerance issue. I smoked half a small jointof the stuff that accidently cracked off a few weeks ago and got nicely stoned all afternoon! I know I'm a lightweight when it comes to weed, but if the prematurely early stuff got me stoned, then the later "good" stuff gotta have something in it!
As for the vape juice experiment, it was a bust this round. The resulting vape juice is pretty weak. I may have diluted it with too much vg/pg (10 ml) for the amount of hash in it. I can get a buzz of it but it takes a fair bit of vaping....It was decarbed too.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. After making my first cart from some store bought concentrate, I will definitely be making many more! I know my successes but especially my failures will help others.

If this is the wrong spot for this thread admins...well you know... do your thing and stuff.

A serious shout out to @PeakSupplyCo for being one of our site sponsors and for having an amazing sale recently! Picked up a few things last week to give a try. Well...I'm sold after this first cart. I just placed another order during their Halloween Sale!

For this cart, I used the Peak Supply XL G.A.S. Cartridge, a touch of Gelato terpenes, and another touch of the Viscosity Booster

Cool little gadget to hook up my pen to a bong. Also, a pic of the cart and oil.

I started with a local "premium" concentrate that I can get consistently for $20-25 per gram. End goal of course is to make it from my own home grown pressed rosin. GSC presses and vape carts will most definitely be coming up soon!

My First DIY Vape Cart Recipe:
I used the glass container the rosin came in for the heating and prep process.
I used a hot plate to heat up the concentrate and started stirring slowly when it began to melt. I stopped stirring a few times until it was just about to bubble, then remove from the heat, and keep stirring while it cooled. I was doing my best to keep the temps below 190°. I used an infrared thermometer to watch it and had to do a few pulls off and on the hot plate to keep it close.

When I got a good runny viscosity, I added a couple drops of the booster and 3 of the Gelato. I turned off my hot plate and I stirred continually while the hot plate cooled down. At least 3-5 minutes is what I did. As soon as I had a good mixture (got impatient and wrists were hurting), I used a glass pipette to fill the cartridge.

After it was filled, I left it wick side down to settle for about 10 minutes. Then I screwed on the mouthpiece. I let it sit in my DIY cart filler/holder thingy overnight to soak into the wick. The next morning I turned it over and left it that way all day. Did that a few times over the next couple days. All done and ready to use!

Along the way, I did a few taste tests of course!! Every day, the flavor melded together more and more. In total, I left the cart to settle for 3.5 days. It tasted better than most cartridges I have purchased. It also got me properly baked right out of the gate! Stronger than the other carts I have.
Could it be the added terpenes and entourage affect?!?
It rivaled the terpene profile of the Gelato Stizzy pod. Leftcoast Extracts makes very good carts/pods too with strong terpene profiles. I would put this cart up against theirs for taste tests. Not exaggerating. I decided to add a little bit of Gelato because I felt that I was burning off terps during the warming and stirring process. I should have just added the terps and left out the booster. After a few days, the oil is just slightly more runny than I would prefer. I have been puffing on it several times a day for the past few days and it's still going strong. No clogs and no issues. Strong deep rips without a problem from the cartridge too. Plenty of airflow to really get that coil heated up. Full of flavor and intensity. I was able to preserve some of that sweet and peppery aroma from the Death Star Cherry Pie I think. The added Gelato
kept some sweetness and added the pungent ending tones to the puff.

I will be making many more cart recipes and I will document them along the way. I believe it would benefit us all.

Any questions, please ask. I'm new to this but will help as best as I can. If you have wisdom to share, please do so. The more we share, the better we become.

I would recommend not doing what I did and just get their Alchemy Starter Kit. It has samples of all the products you would need to make some carts. I spent more than necessary to test my theory of making my own premium carts. Should have just got the kit.

The hot plate magnetic stirrer I used was much too inconsistent. The return process has already been started!

Anyway...I personally think a magnetic stirrer is NOT a needed piece of equipment. If making large batches, then I would say it would be a convenient addition. Otherwise, I think your best bet would be to get the DapPress Sauce Plate. It has a MUCH better temp controller. The only thing it doesn't do is stir for you. It gives you the added bonus of making some THC Diamonds too!

I hope this thread picks up momentum amongst everyone with experience making carts and those of us that want to learn more!
BLESSINGS!
Thanks been looking for this thread. Got all the equipment just wanted super strong cart oil . Last time I made it from vape oil slow cooker and 1 once . What a waste . Barely any head change. .

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. After making my first cart from some store bought concentrate, I will definitely be making many more! I know my successes but especially my failures will help others.

If this is the wrong spot for this thread admins...well you know... do your thing and stuff.

A serious shout out to @PeakSupplyCo for being one of our site sponsors and for having an amazing sale recently! Picked up a few things last week to give a try. Well...I'm sold after this first cart. I just placed another order during their Halloween Sale!

For this cart, I used the Peak Supply XL G.A.S. Cartridge, a touch of Gelato terpenes, and another touch of the Viscosity Booster

Cool little gadget to hook up my pen to a bong. Also, a pic of the cart and oil.

I started with a local "premium" concentrate that I can get consistently for $20-25 per gram. End goal of course is to make it from my own home grown pressed rosin. GSC presses and vape carts will most definitely be coming up soon!

My First DIY Vape Cart Recipe:
I used the glass container the rosin came in for the heating and prep process.
I used a hot plate to heat up the concentrate and started stirring slowly when it began to melt. I stopped stirring a few times until it was just about to bubble, then remove from the heat, and keep stirring while it cooled. I was doing my best to keep the temps below 190°. I used an infrared thermometer to watch it and had to do a few pulls off and on the hot plate to keep it close.

When I got a good runny viscosity, I added a couple drops of the booster and 3 of the Gelato. I turned off my hot plate and I stirred continually while the hot plate cooled down. At least 3-5 minutes is what I did. As soon as I had a good mixture (got impatient and wrists were hurting), I used a glass pipette to fill the cartridge.

After it was filled, I left it wick side down to settle for about 10 minutes. Then I screwed on the mouthpiece. I let it sit in my DIY cart filler/holder thingy overnight to soak into the wick. The next morning I turned it over and left it that way all day. Did that a few times over the next couple days. All done and ready to use!

Along the way, I did a few taste tests of course!! Every day, the flavor melded together more and more. In total, I left the cart to settle for 3.5 days. It tasted better than most cartridges I have purchased. It also got me properly baked right out of the gate! Stronger than the other carts I have.
Could it be the added terpenes and entourage affect?!?
It rivaled the terpene profile of the Gelato Stizzy pod. Leftcoast Extracts makes very good carts/pods too with strong terpene profiles. I would put this cart up against theirs for taste tests. Not exaggerating. I decided to add a little bit of Gelato because I felt that I was burning off terps during the warming and stirring process. I should have just added the terps and left out the booster. After a few days, the oil is just slightly more runny than I would prefer. I have been puffing on it several times a day for the past few days and it's still going strong. No clogs and no issues. Strong deep rips without a problem from the cartridge too. Plenty of airflow to really get that coil heated up. Full of flavor and intensity. I was able to preserve some of that sweet and peppery aroma from the Death Star Cherry Pie I think. The added Gelato
kept some sweetness and added the pungent ending tones to the puff.

I will be making many more cart recipes and I will document them along the way. I believe it would benefit us all.

Any questions, please ask. I'm new to this but will help as best as I can. If you have wisdom to share, please do so. The more we share, the better we become.

I would recommend not doing what I did and just get their Alchemy Starter Kit. It has samples of all the products you would need to make some carts. I spent more than necessary to test my theory of making my own premium carts. Should have just got the kit.

The hot plate magnetic stirrer I used was much too inconsistent. The return process has already been started!

Anyway...I personally think a magnetic stirrer is NOT a needed piece of equipment. If making large batches, then I would say it would be a convenient addition. Otherwise, I think your best bet would be to get the DapPress Sauce Plate. It has a MUCH better temp controller. The only thing it doesn't do is stir for you. It gives you the added bonus of making some THC Diamonds too!

I hope this thread picks up momentum amongst everyone with experience making carts and those of us that want to learn more!
BLESSINGS!
Thanks. Top shelf bro

My rosin cart recipe:
1. Squish a few grams of Rosin and put in tiny Mason jar (wide mouth)
2. Add grain alcohol and incorporate with rosin in Mason jar (need to fully break down the rosin)
3. Deep freeze Mason jar (colder is better to condense the waxes)
4. Strain precipitated waxes from Alcohol/rosin mix. (Winterizing the rosin)
5. Carefully stir and cook off all of the alcohol, stay under 220° if possible. (use common sense here! No open flames, a double boiler setup works best for me)
6. Seal the Mason jar and continue to cook rosin at the same temps until bubbles cease, (decarbs and thins the rosin viscosity for better flow in a cart)

At this point, you can eat it or vape it. Eating it will blow your socks off, so tread Lightly!

7. Viscosity can be adjusted with vg/pg but not fully necessary, just lightly preheat the cartridge with a lighter before vaping to thin the fluid and take a giant rip! (Vg/pg can also be used to adjust potency)

My rosin cart recipe:
1. Squish a few grams of Rosin and put in tiny Mason jar (wide mouth)
2. Add grain alcohol and incorporate with rosin in Mason jar (need to fully break down the rosin)
3. Deep freeze Mason jar (colder is better to condense the waxes)
4. Strain precipitated waxes from Alcohol/rosin mix. (Winterizing the rosin)
5. Carefully stir and cook off all of the alcohol, stay under 220° if possible. (use common sense here! No open flames, a double boiler setup works best for me)
6. Seal the Mason jar and continue to cook rosin at the same temps until bubbles cease, (decarbs and thins the rosin viscosity for better flow in a cart)

At this point, you can eat it or vape it. Eating it will blow your socks off, so tread Lightly!

7. Viscosity can be adjusted with vg/pg but not fully necessary, just lightly preheat the cartridge with a lighter before vaping to thin the fluid and take a giant rip! (Vg/pg can also be used to adjust potency)
Thanks for that Rhino! Do you find that the cart clogs as you get down toward the end when vaping without any liquidizer? That was @StoneOtter's experience with his.

Also, any advantage to doing your method with rosin rather than just doing QWET to begin with and skipping the press?

Thanks for that Rhino! Do you find that the cart clogs as you get down toward the end when vaping without any liquidizer? That was @StoneOtter's experience with his.

Also, any advantage to doing your method with rosin rather than just doing QWET to begin with and skipping the press?

Without properly winterizing - the last 1/3 of the cart will taste like burnt pubes. My first winterizing I used a tight stainless mesh strainer to catch the frozen wax particles, and this was a mistake. The second time I used a paper coffee filter sitting inside of a stainless steel coffee filter - this was much better and resulted in spectacular carts. Filtration is key.
You may not get exery last drop to flow out like a Butane cart, but you'll get 95%of the juice to pull thru.

More than 2 or 3 drops of PG/VG per gram of oil will drastically reduce the flavor and potency of the finished product - the upside is that your vape cloud will smell Alot less like weed and more like a regular vape. Great for stealth.

I use Rosin as a starting point because it tastes better all the way thru the process and has a delicious and flavorful end product.
Qwet just doesn't taste as good and requires more grain alcohol, especially if you plan to double wash the product to get the oils and trichs that a QWET wash leaves behind. (RSO) I use a water distiller to recapture 75% of the alcohol, but the losses add up quickly. (especially at $110gal)

Big Buds = I Smoke em

Medium buds = Pressed Rosin or into the LEVO = Dabs + Carts + Edibles

Trim and larf + Used Rosin press bags = RSO

That's how i run my Circus. YMMV.

(I have a few tips for pressing a low-wax rosin as well, if you plan on going that route)

Without properly winterizing - the last 1/3 of the cart will taste like burnt pubes. My first winterizing I used a tight stainless mesh strainer to catch the frozen wax particles, and this was a mistake. The second time I used a paper coffee filter sitting inside of a stainless steel coffee filter - this was much better and resulted in spectacular carts. Filtration is key.
You may not get exery last drop to flow out like a Butane cart, but you'll get 95%of the juice to pull thru.
I was planning on running QWET, and before reclaiming the ethanol run the mix through an extremely fine grained Buchner filter to remove the waxes. Unfortunately I had a run in with some methanol that knocked me off my feet for 3 days and left me with PTSD about the entire process. so I haven't been back to it since.
More than 2 or 3 drops of PG/VG per gram of oil will drastically reduce the flavor and potency of the finished product - the upside is that your vape cloud will smell Alot less like weed and more like a regular vape. Great for stealth.
Stealth wasn't my goal, but making something close to live resin carts was. I wanted to avoid adding anything but cannabis.
I use Rosin as a starting point because it tastes better all the way thru the process and has a delicious and flavorful end product.
Qwet just doesn't taste as good and requires more grain alcohol, especially if you plan to double wash the product to get the oils and trichs that a QWET wash leaves behind. (RSO) I use a water distiller to recapture 75% of the alcohol, but the losses add up quickly. (especially at $110gal)
I was hoping the Buchner filter would remove the impurities and leave me with a very pure resin in the end.
(I have a few tips for pressing a low-wax rosin as well, if you plan on going that route)
Buying a press isn't in the cards at the moment (space considerations), but I'd be interested to hear your tips anyway! Maybe drop them in Grandpa's squishing thread in case they might help other squishers:

I was planning on running QWET, and before reclaiming the ethanol run the mix through an extremely fine grained Buchner filter to remove the waxes. Unfortunately I had a run in with some methanol that knocked me off my feet for 3 days and left me with PTSD about the entire process. so I haven't been back to it since.

Stealth wasn't my goal, but making something close to live resin carts was. I wanted to avoid adding anything but cannabis.

I was hoping the Buchner filter would remove the impurities and leave me with a very pure resin in the end.

Buying a press isn't in the cards at the moment (space considerations), but I'd be interested to hear your tips anyway! Maybe drop them in Grandpa's squishing thread in case they might help other squishers:

Hi I like it , the info , what’s winterising? Can I just add lipids and wax liquidiser, no pg/vg .

I've only seen the waxes coalesce into filterable nuggets after freezing for a few days down in the deep freezer. As little agitation as possible to keep them suspended, and pour slowly. I even put my filter and sieve in the freezer with it. I have no experience with forced filtration, which is what I hear the buchner filter does?
With proper winterization you won't need to add vg/pg/liquidizer. (Although you may have to slightly heat the cart before vaping to protect the coil from dry hits.
Qwet makes fine carts, I'm just a rosin snob. It's like the difference between bubble hash and dry ice hash - only an asshole would turn his nose up at one over the other. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hi I like it , the info , what’s winterising? Can I just add lipids and wax liquidiser, no pg/vg .
Winterizing is when you dilute your product with alcohol and then freeze it - allowing the waxes and impurities to clump together - then you filter out the waxes to leave a clean "honey oil" type product.
Without winterizing, the waxes and smut in your product will burn on the cart coils and make the cart taste like horrible horrible shit. Ruining the cart and half the oil inside. Liquidizer will thin it out, but won't save you from the burning wax.

I've only seen the waxes coalesce into filterable nuggets after freezing for a few days down in the deep freezer. As little agitation as possible to keep them suspended, and pour slowly. I even put my filter and sieve in the freezer with it. I have no experience with forced filtration, which is what I hear the buchner filter does?
With proper winterization you won't need to add vg/pg/liquidizer. (Although you may have to slightly heat the cart before vaping to protect the coil from dry hits.
Qwet makes fine carts, I'm just a rosin snob. It's like the difference between bubble hash and dry ice hash - only an asshole would turn his nose up at one over the other. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Winterizing is when you dilute your product with alcohol and then freeze it - allowing the waxes and impurities to clump together - then you filter out the waxes to leave a clean "honey oil" type product.
Without winterizing, the waxes and smut in your product will burn on the cart coils and make the cart taste like horrible horrible shit. Ruining the cart and half the oil inside. Liquidizer will thin it out, but won't save you from the burning wax.
I do a winterization in the winter, when it gets down to -30c do all my washing & filtering twice with double coffee filters outside in the greenhouse on a dry night
Get clean honey oil CCO

Back
Top Bottom