Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Mars 144x5 far red pucks at lights out. . flash ruined photo will try without flash
IMG_0841_1_1.JPG
IMG_0621_1_2.JPG

I will buy more of these lamps later Sara if they don't get sold out before I manage to save up money :) I want at least 3 more of them

Indeed - I've been going more and more over to sea of green instead of screen of green. It saves so much vegg time and you get better yields because every plant has a bigger container

Awesome!!! So you total have 16 plants in there, it is a happy thing, waiting to see them all in flowering:party:

Check the amazing spread on the COB.

z002_jha.jpg

WITH_THE_DEVIL2.jpg

How far away from the plants should I keep this light Sara? (and/or others)

Never tried to grow with a COB before. I understand this light is very concentrated directly below. Guess I will just keep is a little high up now in the beginning and just see how the plants react?

Anyone knows?

space_6.jpg

My northern lights baby is about to be a woman. Throwing her into flower this weekend when i change her water. If she does much more than double her size ill run out of room in my tent.

It has been YEARS since I grew Northern Lights, so I might be misremembering - but I do not recall an unreasonable amount of stretch. My guess is that you should be fine. Especially since it appears that you have space to spread it out if there is need. Regardless, it should only stretch for the first ~40% of the flowering period, so if you know that specific strain's/phenotype's total flowering time, you ought to be able to estimate its finished height (assuming no lighting changes) by measuring the amount of vertical growth per day and multiplying it by 40% of the number of days in the overall flowering period.

The 4 in the front are Train Wreck clones. They're not as developed as the 12 White Widow plants. But the strain is a fast grower so I am hoping they will catch up with the others before flowering

Catch up, spread out, take over, lol. They DO call that strain Train Wreck for a reason, after all :rofl: .

How far away from the plants should I keep this light Sara? (and/or others)

Never tried to grow with a COB before. I understand this light is very concentrated directly below. Guess I will just keep is a little high up now in the beginning and just see how the plants react?

The issue with keeping it high up, IMHO is... Look at the footprint when you do. The (admittedly, large amount of) light that it produces becomes diffuse. I've used a product that contained six COBs. It came with removable 90° (IIRC) lenses - with them installed, it was intended more for a "high-bay" setup. Removing them allowed the light to spread out, and the thing could then be lowered safely.

If you're using this product as part of a larger grow with multiple lights, hanging it at a higher err... height would be fine, because you'd probably want its output to be more diffused so it can sort of "help a little bit, everywhere" to fill in and supplement across the larger space.

IMHO, of course.

Hi @smoke sara

I have used mars for a while and recently bought 2 x mars pro II epistars and 1 mars pro II cree 256 from your official website a couple weeks ago.

1 of the epistars work perfectly but the other one and the cree have some sort of a problem.

When I plug them in the LEDs make an electrical zapping noise and flicker on and off even with the bloom and grow turned completely off, if I turn the lights on they seem to work perfectly fine??

Very weird that the LEDs flicker and making electrical zapping noises even when the light is turned off. And 2 of the 3 lights are doing it What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Did they act like this out of the box or did it happen over time?

Hi @smoke sara

I have used mars for a while and recently bought 2 x mars pro II epistars and 1 mars pro II cree 256 from your official website a couple weeks ago.

1 of the epistars work perfectly but the other one and the cree have some sort of a problem.

When I plug them in the LEDs make an electrical zapping noise and flicker on and off even with the bloom and grow turned completely off, if I turn the lights on they seem to work perfectly fine??

Very weird that the LEDs flicker and making electrical zapping noises even when the light is turned off. And 2 of the 3 lights are doing it What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

You're right. Northern lights doesn't stretch much at all

It has been YEARS since I grew Northern Lights, so I might be misremembering - but I do not recall an unreasonable amount of stretch. My guess is that you should be fine. Especially since it appears that you have space to spread it out if there is need. Regardless, it should only stretch for the first ~40% of the flowering period, so if you know that specific strain's/phenotype's total flowering time, you ought to be able to estimate its finished height (assuming no lighting changes) by measuring the amount of vertical growth per day and multiplying it by 40% of the number of days in the overall flowering period.

Catch up, spread out, take over, lol. They DO call that strain Train Wreck for a reason, after all :rofl: .

The issue with keeping it high up, IMHO is... Look at the footprint when you do. The (admittedly, large amount of) light that it produces becomes diffuse. I've used a product that contained six COBs. It came with removable 90° (IIRC) lenses - with them installed, it was intended more for a "high-bay" setup. Removing them allowed the light to spread out, and the thing could then be lowered safely.

If you're using this product as part of a larger grow with multiple lights, hanging it at a higher err... height would be fine, because you'd probably want its output to be more diffused so it can sort of "help a little bit, everywhere" to fill in and supplement across the larger space.

IMHO, of course.

Cheers for the quick reply mate you helped me a few weeks ago also, straight out of the box they did it, very weird that 2 of them have the same issue, but when they are turned on then they seem fine it's only when they are turned off, don't know how the leds are still getting power to be able to flicker and making a zapping/ noise like when electricity is sparking

There's a video of it doing it, easiest way to see

Cheers for the quick reply mate you helped me a few weeks ago also, straight out of the box they did it, very weird that 2 of them have the same issue, but when they are turned on then they seem fine it's only when they are turned off, don't know how the leds are still getting power to be able to flicker and making a zapping/ noise like when electricity is sparking

There's a video of it doing it, easiest way to see

It's a problem with your ground.
Send them an email service@mars-hydro.com, they reply fast.

Same thing happened to two of mine, but it was due to humidity issues in my room. Lowering the humidity fixed it for me. If your humidity is normal however, it sounds like a ground issue.

Cheers for the quick reply mate you helped me a few weeks ago also, straight out of the box they did it, very weird that 2 of them have the same issue, but when they are turned on then they seem fine it’s only when they are turned off, don’t know how the leds are still getting power to be able to flicker and making a zapping/ noise like when electricity is sparking

Mars 320 on Vimeo

There’s a video of it doing it, easiest way to see

I agree with Weeze. Send Lucy an email. She will get you sorted out. It sounds like a production error. They're not supposed to be like that

Cheers for the quick reply mate you helped me a few weeks ago also, straight out of the box they did it, very weird that 2 of them have the same issue, but when they are turned on then they seem fine it’s only when they are turned off, don’t know how the leds are still getting power to be able to flicker and making a zapping/ noise like when electricity is sparking

Mars 320 on Vimeo

There’s a video of it doing it, easiest way to see

Humidity was the first thing that came to my mind, since the chips are bare and have no glass covering them, were your fine in the long run DeVille? Was just worried the arcing/zapping that you can see in the video would wreck the chips eventually, currently humidity is sat at 46% so not exactly excessive.

By my grounds I take it you mean not my house ground but the unit itself? As the other 320 I have doesn't do it at all... bizarre lol

I honestly don't know. But logically, since one of them do not have this issue, it's a production error. But electricity is not my strongest side. I broke 4 power supplies, Mars-Hydro sent me new ones and I fixed it myself at home. Luckily the 320's are so easy to work with you can most likely fix them yourself whatever is wrong

Humidity was the first thing that came to my mind, since the chips are bare and have no glass covering them, were your fine in the long run DeVille? Was just worried the arcing/zapping that you can see in the video would wreck the chips eventually, currently humidity is sat at 46% so not exactly excessive.

By my grounds I take it you mean not my house ground but the unit itself? As the other 320 I have doesn’t do it at all... bizarre lol

Yeah i didn't figure northern lights would stretch a whole lot considering it's indica dominant. But at 20 inches tall and 3 feet wide she is ready to flower in my book. Her first night starts in an hour and a half since i work 6pm to 6 am i figure thats the best time to flower her.

A little bit of useful info for you Mars-Hydro users. Been testing the Mars bars for cloning. They have given me the best results so far.

Using a normal green-house with dome. Put the clones in peat-pellets and put them on a layer of moist perlite pH'ed to 5.8 with a little bit of Canna Rhizotonic.

Big-Bud, Pure Power Plant, White Widow had roots after 12 days (didn't check earlier)

Train Wreck had roots after 11 days

Jack Herer had roots after 8 days

Using 1 bar (50 watt) and putting the clones not directly below the light. On the photo below you see two bars, but I removed one as it was overkill

18_-_002_-_Space_5.jpg
z001_tiny_clone.jpg

OMG, you have huge family, look at the plants, they are fantastic, I seem to smell the money:ganjamon::ganjamon:

Mars 144x5 far red pucks at lights out. . flash ruined photo will try without flash
IMG_0841_1_1.JPG
IMG_0621_1_2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom