Mdlroad Outdoor Desert Grow

I'm still a newbie 1st grow indoors in 4th week of flower. I decided I'm gonna try an outdoor grow in the desert. Running autos so they will harvest before it gets too hot. Dropped the seeds to soak this morning. Gorilla glue autos and cream autos from Growers Choice. I have more seeds on the way. Amnesia from Home grown Cannabis. I'll post updates on soil etc when the beans pop. I'm going to run as many as possible. Hopefully outdoors will bring higher yields but desert conditions will be a big challenge. We will see.

IMG_20210303_093007418.jpg
I think it's possible. I will be watching this journal, I too live in the desert, but can't grow outside due to HMO restrictions and theft problems. Hope you beat the heat.

An old Witch taught me about growing in the desert, when she got done I bought a grow tent. Try and get afternoon shade when it gets hot and use light nutrients. (FWW) The plant will stand a lot of heat if it has water. 2020 was a brutal summer in all the Southwest Deserts and you can expect more of the same. Good Luck

I think it's possible. I will be watching this journal, I too live in the desert, but can't grow outside due to HMO restrictions and theft problems. Hope you beat the heat.
Our HMO hasn't said anything most of the neighbors know I'm growing indoors nobody knows about outdoor grow. It can't be seen. We have a local skunk problem if they smell em they won't pay any attention. I can bring em in if it gets too hot. Follow along I'll have updated later today

An old Witch taught me about growing in the desert, when she got done I bought a grow tent. Try and get afternoon shade when it gets hot and use light nutrients. (FWW) The plant will stand a lot of heat if it has water. 2020 was a brutal summer in all the Southwest Deserts and you can expect more of the same. Good Luck
Yeah these are autos. I'm hoping they'll be done by early June just when the excessive heat kicks in. It's the rh that worries me

Yeah these are autos. I'm hoping they'll be done by early June just when the excessive heat kicks in. It's the rh that worries me
My outdoor girls are 14 days from sprout 7 days in the desert sun. Doing well so far growth is steady they appear to be healthy. I'll be top dressing with 1st nutes next watering 1/2 strength geoflora veg. Early impression if they can handle the low humidity they should be fine. Pics for comparison

IMG_20210323_070318326.jpg

IMG_20210323_070314348.jpg

IMG_20210323_070220290.jpg

IMG_20210323_070215949.jpg

I'd like to follow along and see how your desert grow goes down in Yuma. I can tell you from my experience growing vegetable gardens in Phoenix that the key is hydration. I find it best to water early in the morning before the sun is up and give everything a good soaking. Good luck, hope you have great success.
I know about the early morning water otherwise you burn em up. My cherry tomatoes doing good right now. Chime in with any advice for dealing with the desert

March 24th 2nd watering with 1/2 geoflora nutes. I hope this stuff is as advertised. I definitely will need to water more often. I'm thinking the rapid evaporation is helping the plants with the low rh just gotta be careful not to overwater

IMG_20210324_080103712_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210324_080055750_HDR.jpg
Looks like you’re doing a good join with the watering so far, they look nice and healthy!

Hey @Mdlroad, hope ya don’t mind if I follow along. I’m an outdoor grower in Florida, so I’m always looking for other outdoor growers. I don’t have the heat problems you do. Of course I’ve heard people say, “hey the desert heat ain’t so bad....it‘s a dry heat”. :laugh:

Hey @Mdlroad, hope ya don’t mind if I follow along. I’m an outdoor grower in Florida, so I’m always looking for other outdoor growers. I don’t have the heat problems you do. Of course I’ve heard people say, “hey the desert heat ain’t so bad....it‘s a dry heat”. :laugh:
We do get a negative heat index but 115 feels like 110 not much help. Glad to have you join. I'm still new at this 1st indoor grow about done. I decided to try outdoor with autos before it gets too hot

Hello MD! I'm a desert grower as well. I hang out if you don't mind.I live in the high desert. Although we get heat and sun, it's the wind and budworms that are a bother.I've found over the last three seasons, green screen covered greenhouses works for me. Here's a pic of Bubba Kush in the ground and some Purple Punch seedlings. I'm about 2 weeks ahead of last years grow. Good to see more desert growers.
Smile and stay stoneder
20210324_092159.jpg

20210324_092153.jpg

Hello MD! I'm a desert grower as well. I hang out if you don't mind.I live in the high desert. Although we get heat and sun, it's the wind and budworms that are a bother.I've found over the last three seasons, green screen covered greenhouses works for me. Here's a pic of Bubba Kush in the ground and some Purple Punch seedlings. I'm about 2 weeks ahead of last years grow. Good to see more desert growers.
Smile and stay stoneder
20210324_092159.jpg

20210324_092153.jpg
Sweet does green screen help keep the heat down humidity up?

Smile and stay stoneder
20210324_092159.jpg

20210324_092153.jpg
Hi fellow desert grower!! :ciao: Have a couple questions for you if you don’t mind? How hot does it get where you are? When do you plant outdoors? Auto or photo? Do do you know what the shade percentage is for your screens? I live in Southern AZ, in the Sonoran desert and am trying growing outdoors as well. It’s an average of 110-115 here in the summer, and up to 120. I use a lot of shade cloth for my fruit trees and veggie garden and was wondering what percentage to use on my cannabis. Will have autos hopefully finishing before the heat like MD, but may try a few photos soon as well so want to protect them during the hottest times.

For sure! It gets to the high teens mostly but, like you, it can go on and on. We get some spillover from your monsoon as well.I've no idea what percentage it is, I just buy the green ones locally. Even with the screen, there are thrips you have to stay on top of. I grow photos but I'm trying two runs of Purple Punch this year. I start mine indoors , in coco.
I up-pot from solos once and wait to sex them(I've been making seeds so I get both sexes). Smile and stay stoneder

For sure! It gets to the high teens mostly but, like you, it can go on and on. We get some spillover from your monsoon as well.I've no idea what percentage it is, I just buy the green ones locally. Even with the screen, there are thrips you have to stay on top of. I grow photos but I'm trying two runs of Purple Punch this year. I start mine indoors , in coco.
I up-pot from solos once and wait to sex them(I've been making seeds so I get both sexes). Smile and stay stoneder
Thanks! Great idea to make seeds, they’re so expensive to buy. And you can make your own crosses, so very cool.

That green sun shade looks like the business for unrelenting sun.

Thanks! Great idea to make seeds, they’re so expensive to buy. And you can make your own crosses, so very cool.
I pollinated several selected stems of my plants this grow with regular pollen, I wasn't sure on it's viability and even though they'd be regular if successful it is still a lot better than nothing, cause as you say, seeds are expensive.

Back
Top Bottom