Mono's 12/12 From Seed - Test Grow

I'm now going to run 12/12 from seed as well. I got seeds in the mail, but need room in my tent.

I just might have to build another small tent and do one of these 12/12 from the jump jobs! i think i might have enough Reflectix insulation wrap and pvc pipe to build a 1.5'x1.5' 3' tall micro box.. hmmmm we're gonna need some more bulbs! lolz :cheesygrinsmiley::slide:

Two more converted to the dark side ;)

One thing I have noticed is you really need to have the plants under a good sized light from day 1.For example the growth difference between my 250 watt HPS and 600 Watt HPS is insane. Going 12/12 from seed on a small bulb would more than likely give a very disappointing harvest...

Mono,
I see you feel strongly against autos. You have inspired me to run a two tent grow. Hm...autos vs 12/12 photos. Kinda sounds like a soccer matchup. :)

I do indeed... Every time I've grown them I've asked WHYYYYYY? haha

That sounds like a really good idea though, a bit of an experiment to see if auto's really are worth their salt ;)

I'm pretty sure that by the time I get round to more photo-period Kush (is there any other kind, really?) Mono will have inspired me to go 12/12 from seed too.

Might even run some autos on 12/12 too....either way, 12/12 again soon :)

Hey Kushtie,

I'm really interested to see how auto flowering plants do on a 12/12 light cycle. From the journals on here, it seems they really need as much light as possible to form big buds, I wonder if it matters once they have entered flowering though.

Took a couple of clones from the Jack Herer yesterday. She seems to be a well structured plant, so I would like to retain these genetics, especially if the harvest proves to have some of the medical properties the breeder claims.

Figured I would do a little how-to on my cloning method as well ;)

Kit -
Donor Plant
Scissors
Rooting Gel
Water
Propagator With Lid
Rooting medium

Method

Get everything together before you start and MAKE SURE IT'S CLEAN! The plant you plan to take the cutting from needs to be healthy and growing well, cloning from a weak plant will lower the survival rate and lengthen the rooting period.

The rooting hormone isn't necessarily required, but it doesn't seem to do any harm...

For a rooting medium, expandable peat blocks or rock wool have the best results due to the even and high moister retention, however, anything can be used. In this instance I'm using canna terra professional soil. (and little pots Mrs Mono has used for broccoli seeds ;))

A seedling tray full of soil is fine for multiple cuttings, but the roots tend to intertwine and removing them can be difficult. Individual containers seem to be a win win in terms of care, ease and root development.

IMG_0877_1_1.JPG
IMG_0878_1_1.JPG

Cut the stem at 45 degrees, below the point where you want to root. (Roots form first at internode points) Trim off lower growth and most of the foliage on the cutting.

Cutting must be stood in water before rooting gel, and while taking other cuttings to prevent air pockets forming in the stem.

IMG_0879_1_.JPG
IMG_0880_1_.JPG

Dip Cutting into rooting hormone, a couple of seconds will do. Then plant into rooting medium being careful to ensure firm contact between the stem and medium.

IMG_0881_1_.JPG
IMG_0882_1_.JPG

Put under 18/6 or 24/0 to root. Keeping the humidity high in the propagator and the light levels less intense than for seedlings or vegetative plants.

IMG_0883_1_.JPG

Cuttings take a week or two to root, and should be allowed to root the container out well before transplanting. Humidity needs to be kept high in the propagator to stop the cuttings wilting and dying. However, to encourage the cutting to root as quickly and vigorously as possible it's advised not to make the climate too perfect or they get a little to comfortable ;)

Hey Kushtie,

I'm really interested to see how auto flowering plants do on a 12/12 light cycle. From the journals on here, it seems they really need as much light as possible to form big buds, I wonder if it matters once they have entered flowering though.

Not done enough autos to be able to generalise but popcorn aside I reckon I may have got denser buds from RRF that ended up on 12/12 compared to APG which I kept on 20/4 and that seems to correspond with what I'm reading here - Autoflower Myth Busting Thread

Yield would appear to be better with longer light cycles but I don't think I've grown any where it has improved quality. More research required methinks ;)

Got an Auto Dark Devil started and itching to get a Auto Candy Kush on the go to so will leave my light on 20/4 for another few weeks to get them established and then do Violator Kush 12/12 from seed and then come back to Afghan Kush Ryder when I'm on 12/12 even although it's an auto. Hopefully I can sneak another 600W in under the radar at the switch to 12/12 now I've got the mrs more accustomed to higher electricity usage too :biglaugh:

Not done enough autos to be able to generalise but popcorn aside I reckon I may have got denser buds from RRF that ended up on 12/12 compared to APG which I kept on 20/4 and that seems to correspond with what I'm reading here - Autoflower Myth Busting Thread

Yield would appear to be better with longer light cycles but I don't think I've grown any where it has improved quality. More research required methinks ;)

Got an Auto Dark Devil started and itching to get a Auto Candy Kush on the go to so will leave my light on 20/4 for another few weeks to get them established and then do Violator Kush 12/12 from seed and then come back to Afghan Kush Ryder when I'm on 12/12 even although it's an auto. Hopefully I can sneak another 600W in under the radar at the switch to 12/12 now I've got the mrs more accustomed to higher electricity usage too :biglaugh:

Thanks for that mate.

The more I read they seem to be more of a novelty, or well placed in the veg tent with some photo period plants but not necessarily worth their salt in a stand alone grow. Like you said, more research required ;)

Good luck fitting another light in the space :):)

I'm dropping an auto purple narco and auto AK today, veg week with topping at 3rd node, then into flower tent. I have 4 photos in there now, let's see who's done first. Narco says 65 days from seed. 4 photos been flowering 3 days. It should give photos two week head start.

Cheers.

:high-five:

We have the first signs of flowering today... On the NL x Blueberry that is, I expect the Jack Herer to take a little bit longer due to her sativa traits, although not as sativa as I first figured.

Scrapped the afghani from the house, it's been added to the compost heap. It was slow, weak and a regular seed :) Besides, the other four are doing much better than planned.

I've also finished the structuring of Mono's Monster 2.0. Time to let her grow up a little bit, keep the shape and clear the stem. Should have another 7-8 weeks veg on her before inducing flowering...

1kg per plant.... ?

I'm dropping an auto purple narco and auto AK today, veg week with topping at 3rd node, then into flower tent. I have 4 photos in there now, let's see who's done first. Narco says 65 days from seed. 4 photos been flowering 3 days. It should give photos two week head start.

Cheers.

That will be very interesting to see who finishes first. My money is on the photo period plants.

Auto's effectively veg for three sometimes four weeks from seed, then flower, generally a 8 week auto takes 10...11...12...13 weeks from seed to smoke ;)

That's what I was thinking. The breeders think differently. I'll give my 1, 8 week flower (SLH), and 3, 9 week flowering plants two weeks so it drop's all plants into same 65 day window.

Cheers

That's what I was thinking. The breeders think differently. I'll give my 1, 8 week flower (SLH), and 3, 9 week flowering plants two weeks so it drop's all plants into same 65 day window.

Cheers

Sounds like a plan bud.

With all plants, photoperiod or autoflowering the breeders suggested flowering time is always much shorter than it usually takes, especially if you like to go for amber trics for a body stone.

Mono's Monster 2.0 is currently growing in 15 litres of coco, planning on giving her a week or so longer to fully root out the container, just before becoming pot bound before transplanting again.

Last big girl used a 37 litre fabric pot (dirt pot). With very good results, but the root ball was very compact when I looked and I've been giving consideration to a slightly larger final pot for this plant.

Possibly 52 litres... Not really sure though if such a large pot is necessary or not.

On another note, she needs to put on a bit more height, looking for at least 8 inches of clear stem between the coco and first set of leaves to make watering and inspecting a lot easier.

On another note, she needs to put on a bit more height, looking for at least 8 inches of clear stem between the coco and first set of leaves to make watering and inspecting a lot easier.

What a simple idea. Duh, I am always fighting those first low branches. Never thought to just encourage some lower stretch to get some space. I think I have about 4 inches now and that is just a pain.
:thumb:
Bob

Sounds like a plan bud.

With all plants, photoperiod or autoflowering the breeders suggested flowering time is always much shorter than it usually takes, especially if you like to go for amber trics for a body stone.
Well, the race is on.

Cheers

mono long time no see.were did u go? been a while.nice garden mate and as always im in.good to see u in action.best of luck mate but I kno u don't need it lol.top gardner;)

Mono's Monster 2.0 is currently growing in 15 litres of coco, planning on giving her a week or so longer to fully root out the container, just before becoming pot bound before transplanting again.

Last big girl used a 37 litre fabric pot (dirt pot). With very good results, but the root ball was very compact when I looked and I've been giving consideration to a slightly larger final pot for this plant.

Possibly 52 litres... Not really sure though if such a large pot is necessary or not.

Looking good mono, regarding your choice of final pot size I would go big mate these monsters get super big and thirsty in full bloom, if you can go 75 liters or bigger even, my current big girl is in 110 litre grow bag which she's now filled with root's so I've added a large hard plastic kiddy pool full of perlite and soil under her too andfresh root's are growing out of the bag and into it.
The more growing substrate and root's the better mate and will seriously up yield and nug density .

Back
Top Bottom