Monster Cropped White Widow - SCROG - Hydro - 2015

Congratulations M9!
The pics look great.
LED works! The problem we have here is 3rd party businesses hyping up their chinese born products. Like a 1600 watt light may just very well be only drawing 800 watts at the socket, and so on and so forth. And the cost of some lamps is LOL! What a gold mine...
Trust me comrade, the diodes are taking the piss out of HID right now. You just have to find one honest company that will sell you QUALITY at a swell PRICE.
If I was in the states, I would hook you up!
Go LED go!

Vlad

20151004_134330.jpg

Here's a side update, I for the last 2 years have been using nothing but bho to medicate with for the last 2 years along with the once in a blue moon bowl of herb cause I was out of wax. Or tinctures now lately since I made some with the magical butter machine. But the wife and I were out last night and she surprised me with a new toy. A new desktop vaporizer. I have issues smoking the actual herb itself, something I'm allergic to in the plant. But concentrates I'm fine with no issues. She thought this would help me be able to smoke all the wonderful herb I've been growing without worrying about the allergen I have to it. Well after getting super baked last night and remembering to post about it today I can tell you I have found a new best friend. Here's a pic and some of my left over from last harvest, I still have 2 more jars full.

I had one of those!
The quality of the vapor was effective.
I eventually took it apart and kept the glass heater, replaced the inductor core with ceramic and still use it today as a glass on glass hash and herb vape!
Cool to hear about MSF

Vlad

Here we are on day 4 of flower, or actually almost day 5. The lights were turned on 3 hours late today, so I just let them stay off an extra 3 hours to give it a full 12 hour dark period.

I added 25ml of H2O2 into each bucket, the temps were 62.3F in each bucket, and the ppms were roughly 1500 ppm. Still no signs of burn or any stress, thankfully, since the light issue was screwed. I got a timer for the lights so all should be ok now in that department.

Wednesday I will be changing the nutrient water again, the plants are eating over 100ppm of nutrients per day, this as shown with increased branching with the plants, they have all become very bushy and wide and are getting wider by the day, the plants are also growing vertically as well, it is not noticed so much in the overall height of the plant, but all the lower nodes on the branches have all stretched out and are growing in an even canopy, some of those nodes have grown over 3in to make a uniform canopy , I can see that there are still more bud sites stretching to get to the canopy as well, so I expect these plants to atleast double their size not only in width but also in height as well. There is nice intermodal spacing, which is being nice allowing the plants budsites to receive more light.

Overall I am very happy with the grow, yes there are some things that still need some tweaking, but for now, things are going well and I hope that they stay that way. each bud site has that healthy green new growth color, and you can tell these ladies are just working as hard as they can to get big and fat to make me happy.

Here are some pics that were snapped after turning the light on in the tent, I turned off the 2 x 300 watt light panels and just left the light on from the 180watt UFO LED.

20151004_220451.jpg
20151004_220500.jpg
20151004_220509.jpg
20151004_220517.jpg
20151004_220552.jpg
20151004_220603.jpg
20151004_220612.jpg
20151004_220620.jpg
20151004_220630.jpg

the only gimmick LEDs use is saying they are either using 3w or 5w globes, which never seems to be picked up.. Peeps call out a 1600w led light with 5w globes cause it's only drawing 800 or whatever.... But it has 330 x 5wglobes = 1600w..... Truth.... But where are there 5w globes being drawn? If you were getting 5w per globe, they'd call them 9w globes.... And getting even more confusing with some company's actually selling units at draw, eg 90w ufo that draws 90w.... Plus made in and assembled are different.. That depends on light you buy...

that's a touchy subject, one I'm more than happy to talk about.

well to start this topic off, I would like to talk about last harvest, since these plants are monster cropped from the last set of plants I grew.

Last grow I grew out 2 feminized white widow seeds, I called them WW1 and WW2, WW1 was vegged from seed for a total of 19 days before switching to flower, and was flowered for 65 days. WW2 was vegged from seed a total of 16 days before switching to flower, and was flowered for 65 days. keep in mind, my 65 days of flower started the day I switched the light schedule, a lesson i now know not to do again.

When I harvested these 2 plants, the trichomes were about 70% clear, and 30% cloudy when I harvested. The trichomes under my LED lights looked more milky than clear, it wasn't until inspection after the chop that I noticed the true trichome appearance. So be warned that the light from LED can throw off how the trichomes look under magnification.

I ended up with 1.42lbs of wet material, and 3.875oz of dry usable material after the cure.

I also had quite a few issues during the grow that stunted the growth of the plant, as well as harvesting about a week early made me lose atleast 30% of the potential yield I could have had anyway. So that along with the other issues and over feeding I limited my yield

After the cure, the buds really took on their potency and flavor, for the first week or 2 of curing, the buds had a sort of hay smell to them, then after that week or so, all the smells that I could smell in the grow tent flowed out of the bud jar. I left the stems on so they could continue to pull moisture from the stems and help the curing process, This helped tremendously for potency. Basically turned my weed from a high midgrade potency to a mid level high potency. That's the best way I could describe it. The high from this smoke is very euphoric and uplifting for about 20-30 minutes, during that time that your mind is going crazy with thoughts and your full of energy your body starts to relax, then once that euphoria starts dying down the relaxation really sets in and you get a couch lock for the next hour and a half. At that point whatever pain you may have just melts away. I am very happy with the genetics and how the high is off of the White Widow plant.

That being said, this time I grew 4 plants instead of 2, each plant is a genetic copy from a single mother from the last grow, they all came off the healthiest bushiest plant. Each plant is a monster cropped clone, meaning crazy branching during veg growth without having to top or fim. Even though there was no need to top or fim, I topped each plant once when they were 6 days into veg, and then again 12 days into veg. I did this expecting to scrog the plant, so that I could fill the net faster. However taking the scrog net out I now have nothing left to fill so I switched to flower,

These plants have a controversial veg time, some count when you took the clones as when to count as the start of veg, I however do not, I count from when they root. The clones were taken on 8/16, and the clones were well rooted on 8/26. So if you consider that as the start of veg, I have vegged my plants for 35 days, I switched to flower on 09/31. Now if I don't screw it up like I did last time and harvest early, my expectation for yield is 4-6oz per plant dry, so I am hoping for over 1lbs total dry weight. If I can hit that, then I more than quadrupled my initial investment into the grow system over this grow and the last grow.

So to sum it all up, I know I am going to have a better harvest than I did last time hands down, I know this cause of a few reasons, for starters, last run only had 2 plants, this run there are 4. On the last run, I had many issues during the grow, this time I have had none. Last time I harvested too early, with luck I wont make that mistake again. Now add that these plants are monster cropped giving more growth nodes than a traditiionaly grown plant, I am expecting a drastic difference in yield compared to last time. What do I expect out of it, well as much as shell give me, but what I'm hoping for is 4-60z per plant.

I know I rambled a little sorry, its just that there are so many factors that come into play when it comes into expected yields. And since I have added a lot to my grow system between this grow and the last one its hard to give specifics. For example this time, I was feeding more aggressively and that was due to the added CO2 I had added into the tent, all things I didn't do last grow. So to tell how beneficial its going to be I couldn't tell you not having run this system before. Hope that helps answer your question. Although I was pretty spot on about how much I would yield off of last grow, I guesstimated 3.5-4oz of a total harvest and had 3.8oz, hopefully I will be right this time around as well.

I have a question, I have seen a few different journals and grows of people growing Dr. Grinspoon. Or what they are calling Dr. Grinspoon anyway. I have some growing almost done in the commercial grow, and what I have in there looks nothing like what I am seeing on the grow journals, to be honest it has me a little worried. My Dr. Grinspoon is at 9 weeks, and the buds it grows are like little balls, not like regular buds off other plants, I see some peoples Dr. Grinspoon that's buds look like my white widows. I am confused! My plant is tall and lengthy with little clusters of buds. not like a chritmas tree.

I love LED lights, I just don't care that you cant truly tell if the trichomes are cloudy or clear under the LED light. That's my only complaint.

Yes there are poorly made LED lights, but you can get just as good of a light from a no name brand or company as you can with a big company like KIND LED. Granted it wont have all the bells and whistles, but lets face it, with those brand lights and lights like them, that's what the big money is paying for anyway not the actual light itself.

I have a KIND LED 750, I actually have 12 of them for my commercial grow. I get a good price on them from the hydro shop guy who has a deal with his shop and KIND LED. All of its actual light components, like bulbs and things like that, are the same exact pieces I have in my personal grow lights, that are no name brand and bought for around $100 each. My 750w KIND LED pulls an actual 425w. and well my cost for each one is $650. Now keep in mind that's the total power draw on this light, including using all those lovely timers that it comes with, that power also includes using that power to run the internal timers as well.

Now in my personal grow I have a 300 watt light with an actual power draw of 180w, I have 2 of these lights which bring my total watts to 360, now add in another light I have that is a 180w light that pulls an actual draw of 100w, bringing my total watts to 460w. This is true power, none of that's to also be used to run a timer and all those other bells and whistles. For all 3 lights I paid less than $260 online. Compare 460w just powering the diodes to 425w. Now compare the price. See my point. These 3 lights use the same components that produce and emit light as the KIND LED. The PAR are exactly the same with all my lights as they are with the KIND LED.

However I do also still have to buy the timers, and what nots to have all those bells and whistles that come with the higher end lights. That's the difference. but seriously, how much does a damn timer cost compared to the price difference between lights. That's my 2 cents on the subject.

Nice show Sci! Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Man you got away pretty cheap on those LED's. I paid 180CDN for my Apolo 300W and have a Mars 96x5 Reflector coming in a couple of days that was 179US but, even that isn't so bad for 780W of purple bliss! Toss a glitter ball into the cabinet and instant disco.

I think that I need to do some research though as I'm really not sure why people compare wall watts. The LEDs pull less AC power because the actual LEDs themselves are driven by DC power but are still 3w, 5w etc and 100x3=300w or at least that's how I look at it but I've also been known to look at things funny.

Hey thanks for your answer. I was thinking 4 oz per plant for you as well, if not more. But I really have no experience to base that off of. Just kinda my gut. My plants are the same size as yours and I am thinking that I will get about 4 or more oz per plant as well. I have not switched to flower but will do so this weekend. I have about 30% of my screen filled in and would like to have 80% filled in but do not expect to have that much more in 7 days. Just wondering and appreciate your taking the time to write a very informative answer. :)

Subscribed sciguy, I love a informative journal like yours, I'm here to learn. :Namaste:

Question: If you have 400w of actual power draw from a LED in one room & a 400w HID light in another room is the cost of the power the same? If so, why buy 3 lights (LED) to get the watts instead of buying 1 HID? In the past year I've seen some great LED grows but they all had to buy extra LED's to get the power draw to equal a single light (HID) like a 600w.

Your thoughts sciguy?

That's a good question I am glad you brought that up RSO

to answer the first part of the question, no, the cost of power will actually be more in the HID room. With HID you are also having to use ballasts and hoods and everything else. In the LED tent it should just be the lights and a inline fan with carbon filter, and a small fan to mover air around inside. So the actual power consumption even though they are both 400watt rooms, will be a lot higher in the HID room compared to the LED room.

Now to answer your other part of the question why buy3 to have the same amount of watts as an HID. you don't have to have the same watts as a HID to have the same results. my little no name 300 watt panel will out grow any 400 watt HID light you have, with LEDs its not just about watts, but its also about PAR, with HID lights you don't get the full spectrum including IR. with LED lights you do and that's what makes the difference and why people tend to have issues switching from HID to LED. It is a different growing process and the plants have different needs with the different type of light since they are now getting full spectrum lighting it causes different levels of photsynthesis, creating a need for tremendously more CALMAG. HID lights you will never encounter this problem. Since most HID lights only hit half the spectrum if that.

So in order to increase total wattage on LEDs you cant just add more bulbs so you need to add more lights, that's why you see people having 3 panels or more, they already grew with 1 liked the results and now want to add more light or more PAR, or basically more food for their plants to help them grow bigger and faster than with HID lights, It has been proven that LED lights can help your plants grow from seed to harvest almost 2 weeks faster under perfect conditions. And that's what we as growers strive for, are those perfect conditions, that's called dialing in your grow system. Now why do they grow faster under LED instead of HID, its the PAR with each LED light causing all those growth processes, something you cant get from HID. And lets face it for a 400watt dimmable ballast cost, I could buy a 400 watt full spectrum LED panel off of amazon that would come with a 3 year warranty. show me a bulb or ballast that has that.

These are just my points of view from my own experiences. I like LED for what they do for my plants, and also because I don't have to buy any of that other crap that takes up space in my grow tent, and LEDs don't produce as much heat as an HID system which allows me to grow my plants taller and bushier than with HID lightings with the hood and ducting going everywhere. and burning the plants if they get too close, I have never had to worry about that using LED lights.

I hope that covers a few of your questions, but I also must admit that I wrote this post extremely medicated and I apologize if it runs on.

Not much to update on yet, the plants are still transitioning into flower. Although I did think that it would take less time for them to start showing sex than this. It has been a week since the flip and still no signs. I will be changing out the nutrient solution in all the buckets tonight since today marks a week since flipping to flower.

The growth on all the plants looks very green and healthy, I am already getting hit with the aroma of the widow every time I open the tent to look inside.

Back
Top Bottom