My First Grow - Bubba Kush & Juicy Fruit

BubbaJuicy

I started in soil and transferred to coco about 2 weeks into veg. A friend gave me three Bubba Kush (Indica) and three Juicy Fruit (Sativa) clones, two of each in solo cups and one of each in just the rock wool cube. I was unprepared and had to rig up a cheap light setup for a couple days before getting my tent and light. My plan was to get one tent and light setup for veg and then eventually get another for flower and keep two (one of each) as moms and flower the remaining four.
420-magazine-mobile1357037740.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1687014057.jpg

420-magazine-mobile293678264.jpg

The original setup was six plants in 3 gallon pots in a 2'x2.5'x5'7" Gorilla Grow Tent under a Kind LED k5 xl750 light in soil, fed on Fox Farms and supplied with fresh air through a carbon filter being pulled in by a 4" inline fan and exhausted through a 6" inline fan exiting out a second carbon filter. Then while doing some research was really impressed with the results in coco so I decided to make the switch. Swapped all plants from soil to coco while moving four into 5 gallon pots and left two in the 3 gallon pots. Probably could have waited a little longer before increasing pot size, but it's my first time. After the initial transplant all the girls looked droopy but 5 recovered in a few hours. The strongest Juicy (let's call her J1) did not recover and I believe slipped into transplant shock and continued to droop and started to wilt. A couple days past and it didn't get worse or get better so I continued to monitor.
420-magazine-mobile298297473.jpg

Recently another Juicy (J2) started to droop, then it started to wilt like J1 and panic started to set in because now I was down to my last Juicy (J3) and it's one of my favorite strains. So I started to setup my second tent to see if I could save the two Juicy's and start some clones. Currently I have the light but waiting on the tent and other items to arrive to complete the second setup.

I now have two wilted Juicy's under a SunSystems 315w LEC along side 9 clones in a dome. I moved the two wilted plants back into 3 gallon containers and may have found my problem. Again this is my first grow and I believe I created my own monster by overwatering combined with larger than needed containers and the coco was soaked. When moving to the 3 gallons I replaced the coco and placed back under the light to see if these two can come back to life...fingers crossed

Re: My first grow - Bubba Kush and Juicy Fruit

I'll see if I can get more pictures later today and post some updated images. Expecting the second tent today and some other goodies so will have a better configuration sorted out with the slightly larger tent.

Also anyone else having issues uploading pictures? I was able to load my first ever pictures in the first post and now it gets to 95% and then tells me there's an error.

420-magazine-mobile1264791259.jpg

Clones seem to be doing okay. First time growing so I figured why not try cloning for the first time.
420-magazine-mobile1719264880.jpg

My first grow - Bubba Kush and Juicy Fruit

New tent showed up so I ran home during lunch to transfer some things out of the temp spot and into the new Gorilla Grow Tent (2'x4'x6'11") running a SunSystem 315w LEC
420-magazine-mobile1011359212.jpg

Still trying to bring these ladies back....
420-magazine-mobile651051026.jpg

Question for anyone....I'm just out of my temp and humidity ranges and wondering if anyone had some suggestions to help get it under control. I've turned my thermostat down a few degrees and added a fan in front of the tent to help push cooler air towards the intake filter. I've also put ice, ice packs, frozen paper towels and other items to help lower the temperature but raise humidity as it defrosts. It seems to work temporarily but it's something I'd rather find a better solution for.
Any suggestions on how to lower my temp and raise the humidity for an indoor fire tent?

G,Day, Bubbajuicy, I was wondering why you are not using a "air cooled" light hood ? I find with an air cooled light and a fan speed controller on my 400w hps light i can control the heat in my grow room a lot better...

G,Day, Bubbajuicy, I was wondering why you are not using a "air cooled" light hood ? I find with an air cooled light and a fan speed controller on my 400w hps light i can control the heat in my grow room a lot better...

My first tent is set up with an LED light and air is pulled in with a 4" fan through a 4"x12" carbon filter. It's in a closet that's against an exterior wall and it doesn't get the best air circulation so I have an 18" fan on high blowing cool air towards it.
420-magazine-mobile217332737.jpg
420-magazine-mobile896500978.jpg
I have both fans in the attic to lower noise. The inline 4 sucks it up in the house through the fan mounted directly above it and then feeds it back down into the tent. The 6" exhaust fan pulls it up into the attic and out a 6"x18" carbon filter.

Neither of my lights are setup for an air cooled hood. I was hoping the AC in the house would help. The humidity was pretty much mid 40-50% at about 84(F) and when I added the fan it dropped the temp to about 81(F) but also dropped the humidity to 30-45%.

Hey Bud,

My first indoor, in a closet, CFL's and I was given 6 clones, OG's, GDP, Querkle and three other name brand high quality clones.
Well shit, I want to grow the DWC and was so unprepared it sucked. After root washing and other fuckups, I got them in the DWC. All is well, not quite, I go to a hydro store, tell them my plans for growing herbs (live in a shit state). He sold me a bunch of shit for organic growing and I got root rot fuckup big time. Did all I could to salvage but was only able to save the Querkle, it gave me two zip of purple wonderful tight bud, Oh yeah, I bought a SS400 LED before I went into flower with her,
Pick them britches up and do it again, your learning.

GR

What nutrients line are you using?
Also, curious as to why you are growing in pure coco? Introducing perlite into the mix will help with drainage and introduce more air into coco.

I run a 70% coco 30% perlite mix and use hydroton ontop of the mix to help with moisture and plants seem to like that. I recently transplanted them into 7gallon fabric pots but next grow i will be using 5gal.
Also I use a drip system with a 5gal reservoir (which I will be making bigger once I put them into flower) on a timer to distribute my nutrient/water 2 times a day. (Once in the am, once in the pm)
e16ae71310da730712be58ce92af5c6f.jpg

As far as your humidity issue all I can recommend is a dehumidifier in the tent? Not sure how small they get but I'm sure there is something out there.
Or a small AC unit in the closet? Idk just spitballing aha.
I try to run my humidity around 40-50%
Indoor Humidity Control for Growing Cannabis - What You Need to Know! | Grow Weed Easy

What nutrients line are you using?
Also, curious as to why you are growing in pure coco? Introducing perlite into the mix will help with drainage and introduce more air into coco.

I run a 70% coco 30% perlite mix and use hydroton ontop of the mix to help with moisture and plants seem to like that. I recently transplanted them into 7gallon fabric pots but next grow i will be using 5gal.
Also I use a drip system with a 5gal reservoir (which I will be making bigger once I put them into flower) on a timer to distribute my nutrient/water 2 times a day. (Once in the am, once in the pm)
e16ae71310da730712be58ce92af5c6f.jpg

As far as your humidity issue all I can recommend is a dehumidifier in the tent? Not sure how small they get but I'm sure there is something out there.
Or a small AC unit in the closet? Idk just spitballing aha.
I try to run my humidity around 40-50%
Indoor Humidity Control for Growing Cannabis - What You Need to Know! | Grow Weed Easy

I am running the pure coco on the recommendation from my local grow shop, but think next grow I'm going to add in some perlite. I'm pretty sure I've lost both Juicy's to over water which is completely my fault but would rather have a mix that allows for some learning room. I think when I rushed to setup the second tent on my lunch break I didn't check it first and roasted the remaining life out of them, cause when I got home after work they didn't look healthy.
I'm on the fence with getting a humidifier, they're only $40 at target but trying the bowl, wet towel trick which is helping but after two days it just doesn't seem consistent so will probably pick one up later this afternoon. Some people have posted that a humidifier has lowered temps for them so it could be double beneficial.
I like the drip system idea, I was starting to look into an autopot setup myself. After ph checking multiple containers I'm considering a reservoir system or the ability to mix multiple gallons at once rather than one gallon at a time. For nutrients I was using Smart Naturals Happy Frog veg fertilizer when I was in soil but since switching to the coco I've been using Cali Pro Grow A&B from Emerald Harvest plus some super thrive in purified water ph'd to 6.5

420-magazine-mobile652384206.jpg
(Juicy 3, two topped)

420-magazine-mobile343889716.jpg
(Bubba 3, one topped)

420-magazine-mobile1643571772.jpg
(Bubba 2, one topped)

420-magazine-mobile2115700126.jpg
(Bubba 1, one topped)

420-magazine-mobile7572522.jpg
(Clone Dome, 3 from B1, B2, & J3)

I am running the pure coco on the recommendation from my local grow shop, but think next grow I'm going to add in some perlite. I'm pretty sure I've lost both Juicy's to over water which is completely my fault but would rather have a mix that allows for some learning room. I think when I rushed to setup the second tent on my lunch break I didn't check it first and roasted the remaining life out of them, cause when I got home after work they didn't look healthy.
I'm on the fence with getting a humidifier, they're only $40 at target but trying the bowl, wet towel trick which is helping but after two days it just doesn't seem consistent so will probably pick one up later this afternoon. Some people have posted that a humidifier has lowered temps for them so it could be double beneficial.
I like the drip system idea, I was starting to look into an autopot setup myself. After ph checking multiple containers I'm considering a reservoir system or the ability to mix multiple gallons at once rather than one gallon at a time. For nutrients I was using Smart Naturals Happy Frog veg fertilizer when I was in soil but since switching to the coco I've been using Cali Pro Grow A&B from Emerald Harvest plus some super thrive in purified water ph'd to 6.5

yeah. the perlite isn't always necessary but it sure does help with drainage to get a nice even water disbursement throughout the grow media. and over watering will rarely ever happen.
Once my roomate moves out I am making his room a grow room and was looking at the autopot system as well. but I am more of a DIY kinda guy and I think I could make the same setup at half the cost.
Or
I was thinking of just continuing with the drip system off a bigger reservoir and just make a manifold system to evenly distribute the water evenly. (Check out GrowerMD on youtube at his setup)
but for now just learning the ropes of coco growing as well, but coming from rdwc I like that I don't need to constantly watch over the grow/ reservoir water level and such as often. The drip system is definitely nice for working long days/ hours. just mix the res, set the timer and good to go.
--
also, I recommend trying to keep your PH around 5.5-6.1
coco is a hydroponic media rather than soil

soil ph rang: 6.0 - 6.8 (6.5 being the perfect pH)
hydroponics range: 5.5 to 6.1 (5.8 being the perfect pH)
420-magazine-mobile15300969021.jpg

hope that helps.
grow is looking really good despite the rough start with the Juicy :thumb:

G,Day,BubbaJuicy, In reference to your tent ventilation and the way you have it set up. I suggest you have a look at, Grow Weed Easy.com . and read the section on ventilation....

Just a quick update....officially said good bye to J1 and J2 .but hopefully the clones continue to grow roots to make up for my error. I'm about one week into my clones and they look to be doing well, aside from a little yellowing of the leaves.
420-magazine-mobile1491712530.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1084820020.jpg

B1 - Growing great, main stalked topped and topped a side node yesterday.
420-magazine-mobile1809363784.jpg

B2 - not as tall but growing strong. Topped this one first and since then have seen great growth and recently topped a lower node
420-magazine-mobile924675232.jpg

420-magazine-mobile856925209.jpg

B3 - shortest Bubba Kush and continuing to grow well since first topping. Topped side node yesterday.
420-magazine-mobile1261242788.jpg

J3 - last of the Juicy Fruit and was at one time the shortest lady, now the tallest out of the group at about 16" from the dirt. I've topped it twice so far and waiting a few more days before topping again.
420-magazine-mobile12018658.jpg

Over head view
420-magazine-mobile904777067.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1774096131.jpg

Subbed, I'm growing the same strain.

Back
Top Bottom