My Very 1st Indoor Grow - Bag Seeds In MG Soil

Re: My very 1st indoor grow, bag seeds, in MG soil

4twenty, Thanx and
I will be posting pics later today after we make some modifications.
And, the lights I am using are just commercial ballasts that hold 4, 40 watt grolux fluro bulbs. I do however have cfls that I plan on hanging when these lil ones get a bit bigger. My other half is working on the exhaust issue. Not sure what he plans on doing yet tho. Right now what I have in there are 2 plain box fans to circulate the air and I open the door a crack a few times a day to get some fresh air in there. Since this is my first actual grow I am learning as I go and trying to stay (for now) under a budget. I have had a lot of success with out door but with this planned thought out indoor I have done a lot of reading up on stuff. If I study this hard at my college classes I may graduate.:cheer:

Now that I have had my breakfast of champions ,,,coffee, a bowl, and a cigarette excuse me while I ramble....lol
First I need help with a few things, I noticed I have a small fruit fly problem, At least that what they look like. It don`t look like they are bothering the plants but they bug the shit outta me. How can I get rid of them?
Second, my daughter mentioned she could slightly smell them now will getting the exhaust done fix this? I keep that door closed majority of the time and u cant smell it but when I open it .....yeah u can.
She told me the other day she is glad I found a hobby that I seem like a happier person lol I didnt think I was unhappy but OK. She said she just wished it smelled better lol

I will post some updated pics later today ....Can someone tell me when and how to trim them? thanks for all the help:thanks:;)

I have central heat/air so the vent in that room is in the ceiling. Since this is a bedroom its a wooden door with drywall walls I guess. What we did today though was hang black plastic around the plants. So now it looks like a big tent. I will upload pics as soon as I remember where I put my camera. Its still a work in progress.

Here are the updated pica finally. Everyone seems to be looking good so far except for a few spindly ones.
This is now what you see when u open the bedroom door.
101_1873.JPG

These are my slow bloomers. They were all planted at the same time yet these are all in different stages of growth.
101_1874.JPG

The biggest of the slow bloomers.
101_1875.JPG

These 2 are growing but as you can see they are kinda ill looking. I have no idea what happened here.
101_1876.JPG

This is another good looking late bloomer.
101_1877.JPG

This is inside the makeshift tent. All of these look like they are all doing well as of now..
101_1879.JPG

101_1880.JPG
101_1881.JPG
101_1882.JPG
101_1883.JPG
101_1884.JPG
101_1885.JPG

Sorry I am still trying to get the picture thing down. The 2 lil sickly looking ones have my mind boggled as to what is going on with them. But as I can tell most of the look healthy as of now. I am not sure still when and if I should top them, and when to start nutrients. Any advice and comments are welcome and Thank you for taking time to check in with my grow.:tokin::thanks:

Sorry I am still trying to get the picture thing down. The 2 lil sickly looking ones have my mind boggled as to what is going on with them. But as I can tell most of the look healthy as of now. I am not sure still when and if I should top them, and when to start nutrients. Any advice and comments are welcome and Thank you for taking time to check in with my grow.:tokin::thanks:

Hey Mrs.Green! Everything is looking better and better. As for your sickly seeds a few things could be the cause of that. Too much heat due to environment issues. Poor lighting can cause leaf twisting but I honestly think that it was a seed issue. Not all seeds are bound to be strong plants. You realize this when you start multiple seeds all at once they will all look different from each other. Those sick seeds must have been weak and just not working too well. Keep your water and medium Ph'd properly and see if it picks up soon.

I would wait until you are a few nodes up before topping. Wait until you get some thickness on those stems before doing anything like that. Topping promotes branch growth from the node points and might weigh down your plant enough to break it. Once you are about five nodes up you can top it then if the stem is thick enough. Nutrients should come around the same time anything after 3 weeks from seeds should be fine. Start off with a 1/4 strenght solution and work your way up from there every week.

Now you asked about LST on my thread so I will talk about that as well. Once you stalk starts putting on some girth would be a real good time to start LST'ing your plants. To time it right, I would start LST'ing after you top and you can start with the new tops and work from there. Your plants are very resilient and they can take a lot. When you start LST'ing your plant you will want an anchor point at the base of the stalk. You do not want it to pull out of your medium when you are tying them down so an anchor is necessary. After you tie the plant from that point as an anchor you can start pulling it down from the oposite side of the anchor point. As they grow they will stretch back towards the light. So basically you can tie is down to the desired look. To be afraid to handle your plant but still exercise caution when doing it. You don't want them to snap so take it slow.:thumb:

TOG,
Thank you very much for your input. Very helpful,:wood: mine will look like your Lemons.
I have a few questions for ya,
In your journal you mention a pest strip. What is this? I have a some fungus flies in there I think. I have a fly strip in there right now.

With the ballasts that I have how close to the plants should the lights be? They are about 3-4in from most of them right now and I am not having a problem with burning at all. And they are on a 18/6 timer.

Thanks again for all the help.

TOG,
Thank you very much for your input. Very helpful,:wood: mine will look like your Lemons.
I have a few questions for ya,
In your journal you mention a pest strip. What is this? I have a some fungus flies in there I think. I have a fly strip in there right now.

With the ballasts that I have how close to the plants should the lights be? They are about 3-4in from most of them right now and I am not having a problem with burning at all. And they are on a 18/6 timer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Im sure you will have great success with it.

As for the No-Pest-strips. Its something i picked up at Homedepot because I had a small gnat problem in my room. It says it works for any flying bug and crawling bug. What it is, is just a strip that gives off vapors that kill off bugs. I would not suggest a prolonged use in the same room.If you want to keep it in your room, leave it in there for like no more than five days. I left it in my room and I honestly think thats whats causing my problem of difficuly breathing. I removed it from my room today!

Now on to the height of your lamp, Rule of thumb"If its too hot for your hands, its too hot for your plants. You can keep your lights pretty much right over the plant as long as its not too hot near the bulb. a couple inches off with the lights you are using should be fine. Measure by how much heat is given off. Place your hand at the top of the plant if it is just mildly warm you are fine. If it gets too hot, lift your light.

Whats good Mrs. GT!!

I noticed that you made a comment about LSTing for your first time in TOG's journal... I have just recently completed my first plant under LST, and I must say it's not hard at all!!! this is a direct link to my journal that shows where I did my first round of LST, it went under 2 rounds of LST as it kept growing!!! LOL anyways, let me know if you need any further assistance!!!
Afgoo under LST

:peacetwo: and :goodluck:

oh and another note!!! don't use string like in the photo, after being told that it can cut through the plant, the next day I went out and got some 1/4 in. rope and re did the tie downs!!! LOL'

:peacetwo:

Thanx a bunch guys. I am not sure yet if I am going to LST them yet. I do have pretty high ceilings in there I may just let these babies get tall.

A small update: I checked on them this morning and my lil sickly ones have passed away ;0(
Since everyone else is doing well after transplanting and 1st round of nutes I do think the problem was in the seed.
Trial and error I guess. We do have a lot of plans to change things for the next grow but still hoping for the best with this one. Have a good day all time to "wake and bake" :roorrip::yummy::peace:

yea the main benefit of LST is that you get more cola tops than just the 1, but from my experience, if you let them grow too much before setting them into flower, the buds have a higher chance of coming out more fluffy than normal!!! I mean I had 6 main colas come out of mine, and they are amazing when smoked!!!! but they are not as dense as the other plant that I didn't do LST too!!!

:peacetwo:

LST not only helps height constraints but light penetration to the inner branches. When you pull down the top cola and move it over, you give more area past the canopy of the plant. More light to lower branches= bigger overall buds which increase overall yield.

WOW thanks guys, I will ask more about LST when these get bigger.
This morning we have a lot of new growth so I have raised the lights a little bit.
I also have a few germinated seeds from some Northern lights that a friend gave me. so tomorrow I will plant those. I am trying my hardest to leave them all alone but I sit in there and stare at them like they are going to dance a jig or something......LMAO And of course the smell in there is awesome to me!! I will update my pics sometime this weekend.
Thanks again for all advice you guys are awesome!!!:thanks::peace:

If any help I can give I will gladly give it. It's tough when you first start out you have those new grower jitters and you worry about everything so its nice to have people to reassure you that you are doing fine. If it weren't for people that follow my grow and input when they can, I dont think i would be where I am today without it.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom