NBB's Grow With Hans LED Panels - Trainwreck & AK47

N.B.B.

Hi All,

I am by no means an experienced grower, but I thought I'd start a journal to help those considering growing with led and also seek advice.

First a few things about the Hans led panels.
I did not want to over spend on leds, so I decided to dish out 360 euros on 2 Hans panels. I went with Hans panels because they were relatively cheap and I was impressed with his results on Growing Marijuana with LED, Growshow
Furthermore, reviews on his panels are few and far between, however, they are mostly positive.
Unfortunately, up until now (Oct 12th) I am very disappointed with the panels.
First of all, you would expect to receive fully functional panels, but out friend Hans has quality issues with his manufacturing because one of the panels I received was two solder points short of perfect. This meant, I was able to use it in "flowering" mode, but not "seedling" and "mother" mode.
When I notified Hans my panel wasn't working properly, I did not yet know that it was due to those 2 solder points. Instead of offering to replace it, he told me to disassemble the unit.
Now this already was a major pain in the arse, as it's not the customer service that one would expect for 360 euros, but nevermind...
I proceeded to disassemble the unit and immediately realized it was the soldering causing the malfunction. I told Hans I can repair it, but I want a partial refund to cover my costs. Of course he said no and offered to send me a soldering wand instead.
Rubbish customer service so if anyone out there is considering buying his panels then do so at your own risk.
To add insult to injury, you will soon see in the pictures below how "quickly" my girls are growing.

I started germinating the seeds over two weeks ago on the 24th of September.

Grow specs:
Tent: 1.2 x 1.2 x 2m GrowLife tent (solid tent)
lights: 2 x Hans Led panels
Nutes: AN Micro, Bloom and Grow
pots: 9 x 3L air pots
water: RO water (approx 60 µS/cm)
medium: 90% Canna professional plus coco + 10% perlite

I use phosphoric acid to adjust PH levels.

Time line:

24/9 - 6 trainwreck and 7 AK47 seeds germinated

5 trainwrecks and 5 AK47's popped and subsequently planted. 5 Trainwrecks and 4 AK47's survived.

The led panels were on "seedling" mode (predominantly blue light spectrum) on a 24/0 schedule for a week, I then switched to 18/0 when the plants started showing their first pair of leaves. The leds were 20cm above the canopy.

6/10 - I was getting concerned with the rate the plants were growing at, so I switched to flowering mode on the led panels and raised them higher above the canopy.

The plants are fed every second day.
PH ~ 5.5 - 6
EC ~ 200 - 300 µS/cm

I did give 1-2 girls nute burn the other day because I thought they weren't getting enough nitrogen... obviously I was wrong and that isn't the problem.

I hope to be updating this journal on a weekly basis.. maybe even more frequently if you can offer me advice on what the problem is (if it's not just the leds).

Pics to follow.

Re: NBB's grow with Hans led panels (Trainwreck & AK47)

Pics, but I'm going to need to take a couple under normal lighting conditions:

Thanks wildbill, but don't you think they look small considering they're nearly 3 weeks old?
As I recall, when growing under MH bulbs they had 4-6 sets of leaves by now.

Welcome KingJohnC, please take a seat.

How many of you out there think I should stick an HID in that tent?
I was a fool to sell my HID gear...

I'm not getting a whole lot of responses, but I'll keep going anyway.

I've decided to go hybrid, so I bought a digital ballast. Still waiting for my hood and bulb to arrive.
I'm still aiming to be as economical as possible, so I'll use a 250w bulb. (for vegging at least)

I finished DIY-ing my variac last weekend. I am now able to control my fan speed and there is no humming or buzzing.

The plants continue to grow at a snail place.
Damn these leds!

Pics below:

KingJohnC, my leds were less than a foot above the canopy. I could have lowered them but then the coverage would not have been sufficient.

Anyway, I've got some updates:

- I have attempted to inoculate my plants with mycorrhizal fungi. Can anyone tell me how I will know if I have been successful?
- My HID equipment has arrived. yay!
- I have switched to the the green lantern routine. ie 12-5.5-1-5.5 (to keep my electricity bill down). Only the leds come on for the 1 hour between the two 5.5 hour dark periods.

Pics below:

I've got one plant that seems to be struggling and I'd like to ask for some help.

The plant in the 6th and 7th plant has downward curling leaves. What could this be?
I'm still feeding them relatively weak nutes ~ 600 - 700 µS/cm every 2-3 days.
I'm guessing the culprit could be any of the following:
- damaged roots from the fungi inoculation (I tried to be gentle)
- temperature swings (although this would effect all the plants)
- nute burn?!
- stress from switching to green lantern routine

And the plant in the last pic is a mutant. It's got the most messed up looking leaves. (unusual shape)
Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be a hermie.

Well it's been two weeks so it's high time I post an update.

The girls are looking really good as you can see from the pics below.
The inoculation also seems to have been successful judging from the white strands sticking out of my airpots.

Shit guys... I'm devastated.
Some of my girls went into flowering without my knowledge. aaaaaaahhhhhh

So anyway, a quick update.
1.5 weeks ago I FIM-ed and defoliated my plants and they were coming along fine.
Pics below:

Back
Top Bottom