New Plant Mom Overwhelmed

i am going to recommend a few things for gear. i will give a range and recommend our sponsors wherever possible.
we will stick to the five basics you need and go from there.

first - light.

light is the singular most important thing you will need. bar none. you really want to spend here if no where else. and you will get what you pay for.

when you buy a light you want it matched to the size of your grow space (tent). don't believe crap mfgr claims about a led being equal to 1000 watts etc. that is voodoo marketing. you want a led light that consumes about 30 to 50w from the wall plug in, per sq ft, for the tent / space you hang it in.

on this board i recommend

great fantastic choice : - @Budget LED , @NextLight

the first is one of the best bangs for your dollar on this board. they build a rival to probably the best known brand i am not recommending. the next on the list is hard in the running.

really really good choice : - @Mars Hydro

the number one budget choice on this board. i am a bit hard on them but there are many many folk here running a mars and love them. their newer stuff is better. there's always newer stuff with em. longevity / build components is the biggest issue.

i won't recommend individual lights from the sponsors, as they have different ones matched to grow space size. they all will consult.

tent

first - gorilla grow tents. bar none. they set the standard. we have sponsors on the board selling them.
make sure to reach out to the sponsors. there are board discounts for all these items.

the thing with a tent is you don't know what a good one is until you wrestle with a shit tent. poor tents destroy themselves in a grow or two and make the experience non-joyous. get a good tent.

really really good choice - @Mars Hydro .. really. they do have decent tents.
they aren't gorillas, but i would buy them all day long over near any amacrap offering. you might even swing a package deal with light included. ... i'm lookin at you fake smokesara (lol - inside joke ) :p

maybe don't mention my name .. like i said i'm hard on them .. :cheesygrinsmiley:

exhaust fan :

vortex builds the best dog on the block. for just about any parameter. you might wanna skip over a whole bunch of stuff and get a vortex fan with adjustable control built in. vortex builds the best. adjustable control allows flexibility.

there are other brands. i actually run a couple cheap exhaust fans in my spaces, that i would not normally recommend. i got lucky on a vivosun vortex knockoff, and the other is a straight cage air mover most would find annoying.

there are two main different fan types. cage fan. or induction. vortex style is induction, it uses dual blades and is quieter. cage will move a pile more quickly, it used to be standard, and is louder. washroom fans are cage.

noise can be a factor in fans. i have the luxury of trading noise for dollars. i can run cheaper louder fans.

the amount of air movement is the parameter most judge a fan by. you want to exchange air in the space every 3 - 5 minutes.

filter

phresh is the current king. they have a couple different styles, i currently run a charcoal cone paper filter on the flower space i am really impressed with.

i've run a series of straight charcoal filters as well. until the last couple years i found even cheap brands worked well. in the last 3 yrs though stuff has kinda gone sideways with filters. now it's more brand quality oriented.

i still have older charcoal filters i bake and recharge. it's a stinky process for other posts.

do a phresh, or cheap filter and count on replacing.

ph / ec meter

all brand oriented quality. you can't get away from it.

blue lab , hanna, apera, all get top marks.

don't buy the ones that look like usb sticks. get the ones that look like dildos, preferably ones with the replaceable probes. you might be hard on them ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

personal recommend is the apera 60 series meters. they come with some goodies ( like a case ! ) and are rock solid against the rest. all are lab quality, once you get past the usb stick type junk. apera has the best pricing and bang for buck at that level.

i really hope this helps as a start. you can always upgrade as you go. it's what everyone does. good gear does save over the long haul, and offers a better chance of continued success.
Good stuff if you have $5K laying around to blow. All for advanced growers unless you're rich. I've been upgrading for 4 years & can't afford that stuff .... lol.

@Newbs87, decisions, decisions, huh?

I'm not going to recommend anything. I believe the amount of space you have available, how many plants you'd generally like to grow together and, most importantly, the amount of money you can spend, all are important determining factors in how you go about making purchasing decisions.

I will offer this: Your first light is not likely to be the last light you buy. Your first tent is not likely to be the last tent you buy. Your first nutrients will not likely to be the only nutrients you ever try. The same goes for soil.

It's the nature of the beast. If you get into this hobby and stick with it eventually you will upgrade your gear and try new ways to feed your babies.

I said all that to say, don't fret too much over your initial gear selections. But I also wholeheartedly agree with those who have said not to scrimp on the light purchase. Get the best light that you can afford for whatever sized tent you decide on.

Finally, try not to spend a great deal of money on seeds. In fact, do just the opposite and try to find sales and deals that include freebies. It makes failures easier to stomach! :Rasta:

I can't wait to see what you settle on!

I'm not going to recommend anything. I believe the amount of space you have available, how many plants you'd generally like to grow together and, most importantly, the amount of money you can spend, all are important determining factors in how you go about making purchasing decisions.

I will offer this: Your first light is not likely to be the last light you buy. Your first tent is not likely to be the last tent you buy. Your first nutrients will not likely to be the only nutrients you ever try. The same goes for soil.

It's the nature of the beast. If you get into this hobby and stick with it eventually you will upgrade your gear and try new ways to feed your babies.

I said all that to say, don't fret too much over your initial gear selections. But I also wholeheartedly agree with those who have said not to scrimp on the light purchase. Get the best light that you can afford for whatever sized tent you decide on.

Finally, try not to spend a great deal of money on seeds. In fact, do just the opposite and try to find sales and deals that include freebies. It makes failures easier to stomach! :Rasta:

Good advice fr

Good advice from a wise grower.

Good stuff if you have $5K laying around to blow. All for advanced growers unless you're rich. I've been upgrading for 4 years & can't afford that stuff .... lol.
nothing i listed is all that expensive. and i included budget friendly alternatives.

i run hempy. by far the cheapest system out there. i do things on a sliver compared to most on this board including yourself. it's far cheaper to get decent gear than buy two or three examples of the same item until you finally settle on a good one.

it's far cheaper to get decent gear than buy two or three examples of the same item until you finally settle on a good one.
You're right. It is. The problem is most of us didn't plan ahead to start growing. We did it on a whim because we found a seed or two in some good weed. So we weren't prepared & didn't have money saved for good equipment. That leads us to buying things to get through a grow or two till we can afford better equipment. Then we upgrade. Just seems to be the way it works for most of us.
I started with a cardboard box lined with foil & some 100 watt CFL's. After every grow about 35 - 50% of profits go back into equipment till I get all that I want.

i don't sell.

and yes most people jump in with no idea. that is why we are here. if others can get a leg up or find a shorter way to success based on our experiences, then its a win. that would include what is or is not good gear to use.

edit : you are right about being on a budget.

we all start somewhere. and there are compromises. i run cheaper exhaust fans, because i can. i built spaces and did not buy tents, because i'm handy. my lights are self built, because i understand led. we all make choices based on our means and circumstances. and you don't need gold plated everything to achieve success.

Okay guys. Sorry I’ve been away, I’ve been at work for the last two days, still have one more to go... but I’ve managed to get some fox farms oceanforest ordered along with some geoflora veg and bloom nutes. The soil said it should arrive between the 15th and 20th. I finally got to talk to the guy the clone came from and he said I could keep the plant in the solo cup til then without any issues. He also recommended to get some sort of uptake to go along with those nutes. He recommended Zeus Juice. I guess I’ll put in an order for that later tonight. I also ordered a cheap (affordable for now) tent, and the 6” 440 cpm ventilation kit from vivosun, I know it’s not pro quality or anything but I figure it will keep this baby alive and I can upgrade later when needed.

I’m picking up some overtime at work in order to get some of the other things, I’d really like to upgrade my light to the spiderfarmer and get a solid set of ph/EC meters. Again, thank you all so much. This is such a great community to be a part of. Y’all have made me feel so welcome and feel like I’ve got it much more under control now.

Well, I got to run home for a few minutes tonight and immediately went to check on the plant.... seems spider mites have had their way with it and I believe they have effectively killed it. I’ve got all this equipment on the way, so I guess I’ll have to get another and try again. This time a little more prepared. Here’s some photos. The guy that sent him to me messaged last night and suggested I get some spray for spider mites. I wonder if he discovered they were in his crop.

43449197-8011-4B82-9607-7B0FA8969537.jpeg

3CCCAB17-8647-4001-AF9C-556DAB490D23.jpeg

5CF2AF4B-5C29-4307-9E95-51130B30D01A.jpeg

Well, I got to run home for a few minutes tonight and immediately went to check on the plant.... seems spider mites have had their way with it and I believe they have effectively killed it. I’ve got all this equipment on the way, so I guess I’ll have to get another and try again. This time a little more prepared. Here’s some photos. The guy that sent him to me messaged last night and suggested I get some spray for spider mites. I wonder if he discovered they were in his crop.

43449197-8011-4B82-9607-7B0FA8969537.jpeg

3CCCAB17-8647-4001-AF9C-556DAB490D23.jpeg

5CF2AF4B-5C29-4307-9E95-51130B30D01A.jpeg
Oh no. I'm so sorry.

I would deep clean the area and if you can start again from seed.
Clones unfortunately can carry the little buggers in unnoticed.
I quarantine mine when I get them.
Mostly I grow from seed to avoid it.
I know it's hard to be an optimist about something like this but you can start over with a clean slate instead of having to fight mites on a plant. They can be difficult to eradicate.

Oh no. I'm so sorry.

I would deep clean the area and if you can start again from seed.
Clones unfortunately can carry the little buggers in unnoticed.
I quarantine mine when I get them.
Mostly I grow from seed to avoid it.
I know it's hard to be an optimist about something like this but you can start over with a clean slate instead of having to fight mites on a plant. They can be hard to eradicate.

The guy that sent it suggested using smite, which is $80 for 8 ounces, yet, Neem Oil seems just as good from reviews on Amazon for $9. Would you recommend one over the other. It was my only bud baby, but I have a bonsai that I’m worried about now.

The guy that sent it suggested using smite, which is $80 for 8 ounces, yet, Neem Oil seems just as good from reviews on Amazon for $9. Would you recommend one over the other. It was my only bud baby, but I have a bonsai that I’m worried about now.
Neem is good. Green Cleaner works well.
Sierra Natural sciences has an organic mite spray. They are a sponsor here. It's made from rosemary oil. Many of the treatments contain various oils to suffocate the mites.
Many grower use more than one preparation and switch between them.

@Newbs87, one of our sponsors has a spider mite spray that I have used. It seems to work really well! Check out @Sierra Natural Science to learn more.

Welcome @Newbs87. If I may add my 2 cents...

Personally, if it were me, I'd toss this little plant simply because it is so small and you don't have a lot invested in it. And I would ONLY start from seed. They are far more vigorous.

Also, be as diligent as you can in cleaning and sterilizing your grow area before you start again. These mites are real survivalists.

Hope this helps,

:goodluck:

Welcome @Newbs87. If I may add my 2 cents...

Personally, if it were me, I'd toss this little plant simply because it is so small and you don't have a lot invested in it. And I would ONLY start from seed. They are far more vigorous.

Also, be as diligent as you can in cleaning and sterilizing your grow area before you start again. These mites are real survivalists.

Hope this helps,

:goodluck:
Seriously disinfect everything you could possibly have touched. Then when your done do it again.
Mites are ingenious at finding ways to live and reappear at the worst time. I’m so so sorry my friend I feel your pain. I Lost 55 plants 2 summers ago. Had to go by clones to restart. That was a huge amount of time and $$wasted, but we bounce and enjoy.
I hope you find joy and happiness in every plant you grow. :green_heart::rollit:

Back
Top Bottom