New Plant Mom Overwhelmed

Newbs87

420 Member
So to explain my experience; I have none. I had mentioned to a friend that I’d like to try to grow and he brought me a clone that is today 4 weeks old. (He doesn’t grow, he got it from another friend, so he doesn’t have any advice). I’ve had the plant for a week now, it’s still in a red solo style cup, which the person he got it from suggested I repot in 2 weeks, that would be a week from today. He called it a purple Hindu, if that’s helpful. I have been using spring water to water it about every other day and I have added a few drops of miracle grow liquid flower food to some spring water to spray on it once. I have a phlizon upgrading 1000w LED full spectrum light already that I’ve been keeping it under at about 500w for 12 hrs on and 12 off since I got it. I was told to do so until 2 or 3 days after repotting then I could turn the light to full power for the 12 on cycles...

I’m about to order a vivosun 2x4’ tent with along with a Vivoson air filtration kit 4” 203cfm inline fan with carbon filter along with a wifi hygrometer and thermometer. I have smart plugs that I plan to use to keep a humidifier on standby in case I need to adjust humidity (I’m away from home atleast 48 hours at a time each week) and I plan to figure out how to use a drop set (IV) system to water and feed while I’m away.

To be honest, I’m in over my head, and when I said I’d like to grow, I meant after I had time to do enough research and buy the needed equipment but, now I have this plant; and I don’t want to kill it. I’m trying but I honestly don’t know much. I don’t know what to repot it in, a 5 gallon bucket has been suggested which unless anyone has a different suggestion is what I will try. But I don’t know what kind of soil to use, or nutrients, feeding, I’m trying to learn the ph balancing... and I don’t know if my light is powerful enough to support one plant through its entire cycle...

So, if anyone has any kind of advice, I’m eager to hear. Thank you for any advice you can give.

7F5FDBFB-C9CF-48B8-86C7-D7044F8125B3.jpeg

E06B7261-E1F3-4DDB-A8F8-0B90ACDFE842.jpeg

Someone gave you bad advice. Your lights should be on 18 hours & off 6 hours until you start the flower cycle.
Purple Hindu is probably a cross of GDP (Grand Daddy Purple) & Hindu Kush.
You water only when the soil dries out & they only need an ounce or two when in a solo cup.

So to explain my experience; I have none. I had mentioned to a friend that I’d like to try to grow and he brought me a clone that is today 4 weeks old. (He doesn’t grow, he got it from another friend, so he doesn’t have any advice). I’ve had the plant for a week now, it’s still in a red solo style cup, which the person he got it from suggested I repot in 2 weeks, that would be a week from today. He called it a purple Hindu, if that’s helpful. I have been using spring water to water it about every other day and I have added a few drops of miracle grow liquid flower food to some spring water to spray on it once. I have a phlizon upgrading 1000w LED full spectrum light already that I’ve been keeping it under at about 500w for 12 hrs on and 12 off since I got it. I was told to do so until 2 or 3 days after repotting then I could turn the light to full power for the 12 on cycles...

I’m about to order a vivosun 2x4’ tent with along with a Vivoson air filtration kit 4” 203cfm inline fan with carbon filter along with a wifi hygrometer and thermometer. I have smart plugs that I plan to use to keep a humidifier on standby in case I need to adjust humidity (I’m away from home atleast 48 hours at a time each week) and I plan to figure out how to use a drop set (IV) system to water and feed while I’m away.

To be honest, I’m in over my head, and when I said I’d like to grow, I meant after I had time to do enough research and buy the needed equipment but, now I have this plant; and I don’t want to kill it. I’m trying but I honestly don’t know much. I don’t know what to repot it in, a 5 gallon bucket has been suggested which unless anyone has a different suggestion is what I will try. But I don’t know what kind of soil to use, or nutrients, feeding, I’m trying to learn the ph balancing... and I don’t know if my light is powerful enough to support one plant through its entire cycle...

So, if anyone has any kind of advice, I’m eager to hear. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Welcome my friend you are in the right place to get help. Let me unpack your message and answer your questions .

I wouldn't spray my plant with Miracle Grow. It's not formulated to grow MMJ. Orchid Food will work in Veg & Cactus Food in Flower if you can't get good nutes. I use Mega Crop. It's the easiest nute out there & with great results.
Also avoid soil from places like Home Depot. That stuff isn't sterile & you'll probably get a gnat infestation. Fox Farms Ocean Forrest or Fox Farms Happy Frog are both good soils & what a good amount of us use.
I'd up-pot that to a 1 gal. pot & start feeding regularly with 1/2 strength nutes.
There's a lot of info in my current journal if you click on the link below.

Welcome @Newbs87 Looks like a beautiful clone. You'll find everything you need to know here. @Buds Buddy wont lead you astray from the path you want to follow.

Well there you go thats a start as buds bunny said 12/12 isn't good right now. If you keep on it will go into flower. You can just leave your lights on 24 hrs let her grow.
Keep your light turned down for now till she gets a bit bigger and stronger. Your tent and fan should be good. As far as a pot goes get a minimum 5 gallon but get a cloth one bigger is better.
Have a look at some grow journals an see what you would like to do for soil and nutrients.
There are a lot of options depending on your time available to work on her. We are always her to help happy growing.

Well there you go thats a start as buds bunny said 12/12 isn't good right now. If you keep on it will go into flower. You can just leave your lights on 24 hrs let her grow.
Keep your light turned down for now till she gets a bit bigger and stronger. Your tent and fan should be good. As far as a pot goes get a minimum 5 gallon but get a cloth one bigger is better.
Have a look at some grow journals an see what you would like to do for soil and nutrients.
There are a lot of options depending on your time available to work on her. We are always her to help happy growing.
Omg I'm so sorry I said buds bunny not Buds Buddy. Peace brother.

Pro Mix or Fox farms ocean forest with Geoflora as the nutrient would be even easier for someone who isn't home all the time. This way you will only have to use plain tap to water and top dress with the organic nutrient every two weeks. No mixing and if you have even half decent water , no pHing. Soil buffers will address that. There are certain instances where a grower will need to used RO. It can help to have a water report from your municipality to determine what you water is really like.
I use Mega Crop but I'm moving towards Geoflora now that I've started using it.
If you don't want a large plant you can get plenty of product out of a three gallon cloth pot such as a Geopot.
Generally, the bigger the plant, the more training and work.
For a beginner I would only recommend topping a plant once or leaving it to grow naturally, especially if they are away from home a considerable amount.
Start small and gain confidence. Do as much reading as you can. Find a mentor that you are comfortable with.
This is the best advice I can give to a first time grower.
I would rather have you grow one successful plant that overextend yourself and stop growing out of frustration. It truly is a rewarding hobby/lifestyle once you find your groove.

Try not to feel overwhelmed. We've got you and you've got this!!

She has the makings for a lovely plant btw.

:green_heart:

Pro Mix or Fox farms ocean forest with Geoflora as the nutrient would be even easier for someone who isn't home all the time. This way you will only have to use plain tap to water and top dress with the organic nutrient every two weeks. No mixing and if you have even half decent water , no pHing. Soil buffers will address that. There are certain instances where a grower will need to used RO. It can help to have a water report from your municipality to determine what you water is really like.
I use Mega Crop but I'm moving towards Geoflora now that I've started using it.
If you don't want a large plant you can get plenty of product out of a three gallon cloth pot such as a Geopot.
Generally, the bigger the plant, the more training and work.
For a beginner I would only recommend topping a plant once or leaving it to grow naturally, especially if they are away from home a considerable amount.
Start small and gain confidence. Do as much reading as you can. Find a mentor that you are comfortable with.
This is the best advice I can give to a first time grower.
I would rather have you grow one successful plant that overextend yourself and stop growing out of frustration. It truly is a rewarding hobby/lifestyle once you find your groove.

Try not to feel overwhelmed. We've got you and you've got this!!

She has the makings for a lovely plant btw.

:green_heart:
Love It Virgin Ground! So much wisdom in what you said!
I would add, use a larger pot size 7 gl or 10 to increase capacity so away trips aren’t an issue. I also flower at 6 weeks on most varieties, top at the 6 node. I do so little fertilizer on my organic soil that I feel like I’m cheating. I use a little bacteria (GW) early and feed them with hibrix molasses. 2 caps of budswell/gl, few drops of fish poo and molasses and let them grow. Let them go through a wet and dry cycle. I’ve been using bat poo for almost 40 years now. Plant looks good, You’ve got it!

mega crop is the easiest nutrient to learn, and the probably the most cost effective by miles.

i can't speak to geo flora, but i can't see the plant needing less attention overall with it. it does have a good rep.

if you need to use RO (reverse osmosis filtered water) with mega crop, you will need to use it with most any nute line. it would be good to know what is in your tap water, and what it's base ppm is. that and your media choice will be the determining factor.

speaking of media choice i would suggest sticking with a soil on the first couple grows. soil grows are a bit easier on new folk, and lessens the ph requirement or need for RO, except in extremes.

most ocean forest and happy frog soils have some background nutes in the mix, whereas sunshine #4 and promix do not. with the latter you need to feed the plant all yourself, from the start, the others will keep a plant going for a while with no nutes.

ph'ing is not necessary with a soil that has buffers, but is still good practice no matter. i recommend getting used to doing it, until such a time you are confident, and then can decide on your own. ph'ing avoids boat loads of trouble.

invest in a good ph meter and ec/ppm meter. even if you wind up not using them in the long run, they are good tools to have. most growers try a few different nute lines and media, a ph and ec meter will prove invaluable. if you ever do hydro they are essential. they are also good tools to help diagnose and fix plant problems.

the big ticket items you want to spend on are gonna be :

light. the most important thing
grow tent. or other growing space. tents make it easy.
exhaust fan. ventilation and air exchange are important.
ph meter and ec/ppm meter.

edit: i'll add a carbon scrubber filter to the list. i forget about stealth now i'm in the new world.

all the other stuff including nutes is negotiable. just stick with decent cannabis nutes. you can figure all the rest out on the way so long as those four / five things are decent gear.

Welcome @Newbs87 to :420:

You've got a lot of advice from some knowledgeable folks. Take some time to digest it all, and above all....dont be shy to ask questions. I can't answer them, but there are many here who can and will!
I wish you the best of luck as you go down the rabbit hole, it's a fun place to be!:high-five:

Don't know about the easiest to learn.
I've had my problems and I've seen many other growers that also have had issues. I have a big problem with their consistency of product. It's been crap. Not even sure it's packaged in the correct bag. That's by their own admission. Three years and they are on version...what...4??
pHing and mixing nutes is something that I would construe as work and if you didn't have to do it in the first place, could it not be considered extra work? I know that troubleshooting nutrient deficiencies and fixing them can take a lot of time and the OP is very busy. Was trying to give a good solid recommendation to the easiest system I've come across aside from supersoil concentrates.
I saw mention of an auto water (IV) system.
Why I didn't suggest a large pot necessarily. I bet the op could get away with a simple wicking system if something like a supersoil or Geoflora is used. Those would benefit from a consistently moist soil. It may be easier than trying to figure out an IV drip.

Not sure about the price difference between the Geoflora and the MC. Depending what medium is used MC may have to be used at every feeding. You definitely do in Pro Mix.
I have hardly touched my bag of Geoflora. I feel that it lasts longer than people think and you don't need to use as often. You only top dress every two weeks.
Something for a person with a knack for #s to check out. That's not me.

I've used two of the versions of MC so I'm not speculating as to it's ease of use vs the Geoflora. The Geoflora is easier. The amount time I spend on my plants has been less. No doubt in my mind about that. I'm still running MC alongside the Geoflora. I experience it daily.
I think it was @Emilya that was saying how it's the easiest system she has come across?My apologies if I was wrong.

Us lazy;) growers have all the time in the world to talk about plants here on the forum. The OP may not have that luxury. It may prove difficult for them to find the time to pop on.

Don't know about the easiest to learn.
I've had my problems and I've seen many other growers that also have had issues. I have a big problem with their consistency of product. It's been crap. Not even sure it's packaged in the correct bag. That's by their own admission. Three years and they are on version...what...4??
pHing and mixing nutes is something that I would construe as work and if you didn't have to do it in the first place, could it not be considered extra work? I know that troubleshooting nutrient deficiencies and fixing them can take a lot of time and the OP is very busy. Was trying to give a good solid recommendation to the easiest system I've come across aside from supersoil concentrates.
I saw mention of an auto water (IV) system.
Why I didn't suggest a large pot necessarily. I bet the op could get away with a simple wicking system if something like a supersoil or Geoflora is used. Those would benefit from a consistently moist soil. It may be easier than trying to figure out an IV drip.

Not sure about the price difference between the Geoflora and the MC. Depending what medium is used MC may have to be used at every feeding. You definitely do in Pro Mix.
I have hardly touched my bag of Geoflora. I feel that it lasts longer than people think and you don't need to use as often. You only top dress every two weeks.
Something for a person with a knack for #s to check out. That's not me.

I've used two of the versions of MC so I'm not speculating as to it's ease of use vs the Geoflora. The Geoflora is easier. The amount time I spend on my plants has been less. No doubt in my mind about that. I'm still running MC alongside the Geoflora. I experience it daily.
I think it was @Emilya that was saying how it's the easiest system she has come across?My apologies if I was wrong.

Us lazy;) growers have all the time in the world to talk about plants here on the forum. The OP may not have that luxury. It may prove difficult for them to find the time to pop on.

easy vg ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

you mighta missed this
the big ticket items you want to spend on are gonna be :

light. the most important thing
grow tent. or other growing space. tents make it easy.
exhaust fan. ventilation and air exchange are important.
ph meter and ec/ppm meter.

edit: i'll add a carbon scrubber filter to the list. i forget about stealth now i'm in the new world.

all the other stuff including nutes is negotiable. just stick with decent cannabis nutes. you can figure all the rest out on the way so long as those four / five things are decent gear.

ok ?

i'm not recommending one nute over the other. that's a different debate. the only thing i am suggesting is it is the easiest to learn, and the most cost effective. pretty sure i'll stand by it.

mega crop is the easiest nutrient to learn, and the probably the most cost effective by miles.

i can't speak to geo flora, but i can't see the plant needing less attention overall with it. it does have a good rep.

also blah blah blah geo flora good rep .. hate having to quote myself ..

we both know i run hard with mc and nothing else in an unforgiving media with no buffers. i wasn't running your advice over.

easy vg ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

you mighta missed this

ok ?

i'm not recommending one nute over the other. that's a different debate. the only thing i am suggesting is it is the easiest to learn, and the most cost effective. pretty sure i'll stand by it.

also blah blah blah geo flora good rep .. hate having to quote myself ..

we both know i run hard with mc and nothing else in an unforgiving media with no buffers. i wasn't running your advice over.
Wasn't getting hot at you bluter.
Just a few things that I thought were worth mentioning.
Her experience level is a zero and you are at hero. There is a lot of ground to cover between the two.

i'm no where near hero. i also just want her to have the basics covered.

simply put - a first grow in a soil media with either geo flora or mega crop stands a great chance at success, so long as the four or five basic gear needs i listed are met.

at the Op @Newbs87 - you are looking good so far. the plant looks great and is gonna want that up pot soon.

the vivosun stuff is a good start - the tents can be a bit lacking, and there are better choices in lighting. but it's all ok for entry level, and will do just fine for a few grows to begin and learn. we all start somewhere. we all upgrade over time.

If cash isn't an issue for the op there are some better products as far as equipment.
Not a bad idea to do a general search for the tent on here and see what the owners have to say about it. I would trust them over a blind Amazon review. Same for the rest.

Wow! I posted this right before laying down this morning and had no idea that I would wake up to so much friendly advice! Thank you guys so much! I’m starting feel excited about it now that I know there’s such an active and friendly community.
Again thank you. I’ll keep y’all updated and I’m sure I’ll have other questions eventually.

Back
Top Bottom