New to this, Want to share a Journal

newgreenthumb

Hello all and let me start by saying I am very new to this and do not know the specifics yet so I aploigize in advance for being such a greenhorn here ..

My set up is an old Phototron (laughter ) I know, but is all I have and was FREE,,
I am on very limited buget of near 0 so This is just an experiment to see if I am able to have some worth while results.

I have I believe a cross between Sour Diesel and Skunk #? =SAGE?

I germinated them under moist paper towels until sprouted then put into peat moss plant cups with regular potting soil,
I am using spagnum moss inside as primary soil but have holes where potting cups go with the potting soil.
I have used only water from the tap with out any nutes..
I do not know what size the lights are (no writing found)
There is a light bulb that hangs down from center of unit It is a 40w 120v
My light cycle was 24/7 for 20 days after they broke soil
I just switched to 18/6
I do not know anything about PH or any type of measure
I do not know how to measure these
I do not have a temp reading either approx. 60F at night poss 70 + in day
As time goes I can purchase a thermometer inside and out.
I need to know how to measure the contents of the soil.
Also what nutrients that are best Chemical?Natural??what kind?When ?

A few of the plants seem weak at the stem then get thick up the stalk

I am affraid the are going to topple over.
I did take a photo of them but am new and do not know how to post them.

Any help would be great
Newgreenthumb

Re: New to this ,Want to share a Journal

you should get the grow bible, that will get you on the right path to enlightenment. To measure the soil content is tricky if your looking to know exactly whats in it, they do sell very expensive meters to check the elements and some fairly inexpensive (not as accurate) chemical test kits. I would just start with the best potting soil that is produced locally, (locally cuz its cheaper) I always used black gold. When the plants use up the available nutrients (you will know because they will show deficiency), use a balanced nutrient mixed into your H2O. Good luck and read through this site, alot of info here.

Holyshit the phototrons are coming out of the woodwork..... Good luck with that lots of other photron grows you can learn from.. Hell, Harry grew an 8 footer in his.... :smokin::ganjamon::peace:

^^ seriously! whats up with the sudden flurry of Phototron grows!!??

Seem to have seen the reason it was free now!!
The lower tray had a hole in it and burnt the system out when water leaked onto it..Bulbs were very dim from the start
Looks like a switch to the closet for now to try and save them..

:(

Ahhh, oh well whatcha gunna do? There is definitely PLENTY of info on the site to help you set up an awesome closet grow!

Seem to have seen the reason it was free now!!
The lower tray had a hole in it and burnt the system out when water leaked onto it..Bulbs were very dim from the start
Looks like a switch to the closet for now to try and save them..

:(

Bummer man. You can repair that leak and the ballast can be replaced easily enough. I just replaced mine with a home depot part. I'll try to dig up the part number for you.

Yeah Be, I did start that 8'er in the tron.
439.gif

:peace:

Harry

Thanks all ,Looks like I will start over or try to salvage these lil guys,,

Home depot may be my new friend for a few days..

I unfortunately dont have very large buget as a free phototron is hard to pass on...Also the stealth of the unit

I am going to try a stealth box type set up as that is a must.
I will give a report in few days and se if the lil ones survive ,

I have seen very much info here so finding a light shouldnt be a problem..
They have seemed to have grown a lil more since this happened and have been taking pics daily to document their growth

See ya for now

Yepper,home depot and lowes both carry the bulbs here also.My tron sat out in the weather,totally exposed to all the elements for a year.I cleaned it up with a shop vac and she fired right up.They do seem to be able to take alot of abuse!
Hope you get yours fixed,good luck!

Well I went to home depot with a $50 and bought a few lights ,
I wasnt really sure what I was looking for so I went with 2 different bulbs.
1)Halogena 100w classic with 1670 lumens,seemed very HOT so put to rear of others using 1 far and 1 farther for heat.
2)Indoor/outdoor 1750 lumens 100w 26w used, spiral shaped bulb, 4 of these
Im using on a surge strip..

I did not have the lights directly over the plants and they are stretching to the light and bend/weaving to it ..
Should lights be as above center as possible or just add more lights to surround them??Is there TOO MUCH LIGHT ??or that a silly q's..
I did notice the leaves seem to wilt with the HOT light too near so moved far from it .I want more inter nodal sites not a tall plant,shorter the better..
I did try to add some bottled nutrients to it by the measure exatcly as well as some (plant food) to top of soil.1 plant has yellow tips on second set of starting leaves.. Too much of ??
SCHULTZ 10-15-10 Plant food +plus
Nitrogen 10% 1.6% ammoniacal nitratogen 0.2% nitrate nitrogen 8.2%urea n.
Available Phosphate 15%
Soluble Potash(k20)? 10%
Iron .10% .10% Chelated Iron
Manganese .05% Chelated Manganese 0.05%
Zinc 0.05% Chelated Zinc 0.05%
Have NO clue as to what any of this means.
Or what nutes are needed by the plants,or cycles veg to bloom
Dont know what to buy and can only have a Home Depot to deal with..
This is a very limited buget experiment..
Also Is there Too much watering ???seems to be lots of water in bottom of phototron,should I drain it out so just moist then start to water over.
I am using spagnum moss and there isnt a drain hole for this thing.
I was thinking of putting a hose in so I can manually drain excesss out..
The bases on the plants still seem weak should I add up dirt or moss to stalk to support or a stick next to it ??
I am going to try to add some pics of the yellow on leaves..
Hope for any help

newgreenthumb

1 other.

when the plants first popped the tops with bigger leaves
I clipped center of one.
Seemed to have stunted it but now seems some new growth
I will add pic of this as well
Was good bad to do this..??
Time will tell ..
Peace
newgreenthumb

probably not really good to do that soon, we'll see though. Please describe that "hot" liight a little better, its not one of the ones to warm up the bathroom is it? please say no. lol Bring the lights as close as you can without touching the plants, put your hand (the back) under the bulbs to determine this. Grab a joint (as you only have 1 hand), sit down, get comfy, a minute is a while to have your arm out unmoving, if it gets hot your too close, move your hand back a little bit and do it again.....sounds stupid but its the only I found. Did I mention to grab a joint?

Well flyfishinrock that was bad advise.....!!!!!!

I brought 2 joints and after they were done I forgot what to do :smokin:
JK lol

Really tho not a heating bulb but very hot heat
Phillips halogena classic 100w is for lights or lamps..

will post tonight again with pics

I have a question??.
If I am at 18/6 for light now decreased from 24/7 after 20+ days after broke ground..
Can I go back to 24/7 or isnt that a good idea?.

I would like some really healthy plants before try to make them bud..
newgreenthumb

Just leave it at 18/6 for now. It will still vegetate at 18/6, as I assumed it did at 24/7. 24/7 seems like an odd light cycle to me...

My advice is not to over complicate things with your first few grows. Just stick with basic tried and true methods and get those down before experimenting with more exotic techniques.

Harry

I started with them in a phototron at 24 hrs continuos for 20+ days then switched to 18on/6off ..Now It broke and moved to basement,cold is factor.
I saw that some of the spaces between leaves on stalk are far greater than others(internodal length?).
This is why I asked if could be switched back to 24 on 7 days a week.
Would that help make the plant stronger??
Im not really worried about time grows but more on a healthy lots of big budd plant.

From what I have read here ,I may be wrong but ,,,You can keep growing the plant at 18/6 as long as you want???
Then 12/12 to start the bud cycle??
What are some easy to use nutes for the veg stage? ..

Right now everything is just thrown in a closet a few ights and hope to get more as time goes on....
I had issue with thin stalks ,I squeezed them a little and shook them and bent at the base and along with some fresh air blowing on them took care of that problem,thanks all,Very strong now compared....
I have the place to make a perfect grow room but money is factor for few more weeks..

Q'S Could I get flourecent tube lights like "shop lights" and hang one on top and few on the sides to grow or do you need specific watts and color..
Also read of MH and other lights ,can they just screw into normal sockets or do you need a special set up ie ballast....

Ill do more reading I love this place for info you guys are greatest

newgreenthumb..

I think most go 18/6 to save on electricity and some actually think it is better.Keep the lights as close as you can for tighter stacks. If you are having a problem with the temp then leave them on for 24/0. I myself prefer the 24/0 light schedule. Fish emulsion is a great cheap veg nute that you can get almost anywhere. You need to get the right spectrum for the fluorescents and I do not think they have an MH that plugs into a regular socket... :peace::ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom