New to this World - First Timer Advice Welcome

Subscribed. After having germination issue with Jiffy peat moss pucks and soil I switched to Rapid Rooters and have had much higher germination rates. Rapid Rooters seem to provide the seed with the perfect amount of air and moisture. I soak my seeds in pH adjusted water for 30-36 hours or until i see tap roots. I cut the Rapid Rooter mat into individual squares then I soak the Rapid Rooter squares in pH adjusted water for 15 minutes before use. then I the seeds into the Rapid Rooter square then place them underneath a light with 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness. I do not use a humidity dome. I hand water with a syringe each day to keep the Rapid Rooter square moist. when I see roots emerge from the Rapid Rooter square I transplant to 5" pots in a mixture of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

https://generalhydroponics.com Rapid Rooter

https://www.perfectgardens.com gh rapid rooter mat 98

https://www.accesshydroponic.com rapid rooter mat

I use peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae for my plants. I would mix your soiless mixture in a ratio of 60% peat moss, 20% perlite and 20% vermiculite. If you can get Pro-Mix HP you would only need to add vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

https://www.pthorticulture.com pro-mix hp growing medium

I use General Hydroponics Flora series 3 part nutrients that can be mixed for all stages of vegetative growth and flowering. General Hydroponics Flora series can be used with hydroponic, soil and soiless mediums.

https://generalhydroponics.com nutrients flora series

https://www.horticulturesource.com general hydroponics gh flora series performance pack

I recommend when your plant is 4-5 inches tall and has 5 nodes of growth to introduce a 1/4 strength dose of nutrients and see how your plant reacts. If you notice the tips of the leaves yellowing and browning that is a sign of nutrient burn and you should reduce the amount of nutrients.

Really appreciate you coming by. :welcome:

What nutrients do you use?

Also Thanks a lot for subbing! When I read your journal it was the reason I made an account. It motivated me to blog my up coming grows as a first timer.

I dropped in to see what was going on after reading your post in "New City Grower". DD pretty much has you covered. The only thing I was going to add was about using those see-through cups but DD also addressed that. Roots don't like light. I'm here & subbed. Never feel you have to apologize for asking questions on 420.

You need not worry anymore. You're in good hands with Dutch Dragon. I give you my word on that. Make sure you join us this Sunday for THE REPS ARE RIGHT. The details are below in my signature.

Thanks for the sub. Took your advice on the lights so I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to get some in there. Yes, from his journals that I've read DD has awesome yields.

Subbed, the only thing I'll add for now is that I would hang the cfls side on to the plants, since most of the light from cfls comes off the side of the bulb. You seem to be on the right track though, and 2 plants is plenty for a first run, easier to manage than 5. DD gets awesome yields with his scrog setup, and he only runs 2 plants in there.

Subscribed. After having germination issue with Jiffy peat moss pucks and soil I switched to Rapid Rooters and have had much higher germination rates. Rapid Rooters seem to provide the seed with the perfect amount of air and moisture. I soak my seeds in pH adjusted water for 30-36 hours or until i see tap roots. I cut the Rapid Rooter mat into individual squares then I soak the Rapid Rooter squares in pH adjusted water for 15 minutes before use. then I the seeds into the Rapid Rooter square then place them underneath a light with 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness. I do not use a humidity dome. I hand water with a syringe each day to keep the Rapid Rooter square moist. when I see roots emerge from the Rapid Rooter square I transplant to 5" pots in a mixture of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

I recommend when your plant is 4-5 inches tall and has 5 nodes of growth to introduce a 1/4 strength dose of nutrients and see how your plant reacts. If you notice the tips of the leaves yellowing and browning that is a sign of nutrient burn and you should reduce the amount of nutrients.

Took your consideration on the Rapid Rooter Mat. I'm upset that I put 5 to germ & only got 2 out of them & one isn't even sprouting above soil. For the other 10, I will be looking into my local hydroponics store for that mat. As for nutrients & soil & so on. I'm really interested into Fox Farm. I hear lots of good feeds on their products. I'm trying to figure out the feeding schedule of FF Big Bloom, Grow Big, & Tiger Bloom from veg - flower. Like specifically how much nutrients mixed with water in ML does each plant need? I only have one plant & don't want to make a whole gallon of food & not use it. Since I suppose you can't just leave a gallon of mix sitting in regular room temp?

:thanks: For subbing. :thumb:

Dutch, Bar, & everyone else that subbed please help. I woke up just now & I check my baby & this is what I see. The leafs were a bit yellow before how you can see there but look what is happening now. I'm worried.. Is it low on Nitrogen ? Should I add the FF Big Bloom to it. Help me I'm using Fox Farm products so just lmk what I need & I could run to my local hydroponic store. Here are a couple of pictures. She's on 18/6 the last time I watered was 2 days ago. It's also still on the random soil that is probably miracle grow since that's what my wife uses for her vegetable garden.

41082.jpg

31445.jpg
21632.jpg
12408.jpg

Hay, She looks pale and hungry to me. That soil has probably been used before and is all used up. You should use a growth nutrient of the ratio 3-2-1,6-4-2 or a similar nitrogen fertilizer, I'm not familiar with the big bloom, but it sounds like a flowering nutrient. Give her a mild feed and when she cheers up and grows a bit pot her onto some good soil and she should be aok.
Soil looks a bit dry, is the pot light?
As she is still a little girl I recommend a light feed of 1/4 strength that is recommended on the packaging. Young plants will burn if given full strength. She will soon cheer up with a nitrogen boost though, don't sweat.
Good luck, and be patient, it will take some time for her to look healthier. The leaves that are damaged now probably wont get better, but just look at the new growth colour to see the results of the feed. New growth should be a nice healthy green. Keep us posted Maveliman:).

Took your consideration on the Rapid Rooter Mat. I'm upset that I put 5 to germ & only got 2 out of them & one isn't even sprouting above soil. For the other 10, I will be looking into my local hydroponics store for that mat. As for nutrients & soil & so on. I'm really interested into Fox Farm. I hear lots of good feeds on their products. I'm trying to figure out the feeding schedule of FF Big Bloom, Grow Big, & Tiger Bloom from veg - flower. Like specifically how much nutrients mixed with water in ML does each plant need? I only have one plant & don't want to make a whole gallon of food & not use it. Since I suppose you can't just leave a gallon of mix sitting in regular room temp?

:thanks: For subbing. :thumb:

You can mix up a quart to a gallon at a time and re adjust the pH if needed before use. I would give your plant 1.25 millilitres per gallon or 1/4 teaspoon of Grow Big and 2.5 millilitres or 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of Big Bloom.

Here is the FoxFarm nutrient feeding charts, I recommend you be more conservative with the nutrient doses

Really appreciate you coming by. :welcome:

What nutrients do you use?

Also Thanks a lot for subbing! When I read your journal it was the reason I made an account. It motivated me to blog my up coming grows as a first timer.
As of right now none. I have a couple of yougens, two plants too close to completion to feed, and a mutant that I think the smallest amount of stress would cause her to call it quits.

I'm glad I could be the motivator for a change. There's countless numbers of growers here who motivate me.

What's up. To be honest I don't know if it's used soil. But probably dried out & old. Can't forget that I found it in the garage. I'm still waiting for my local shop to receive my order of my soil. I'm guessing since it's new in the area it's in lack of products for now. From what I'm being told this Friday I should be getting it. As well need to buy FF Grow Big so I could use that during veg. Right now she's 3 weeks & 5 days on 18/6.

Hay, She looks pale and hungry to me. That soil has probably been used before and is all used up. You should use a growth nutrient of the ratio 3-2-1,6-4-2 or a similar nitrogen fertilizer, I'm not familiar with the big bloom, but it sounds like a flowering nutrient. Give her a mild feed and when she cheers up and grows a bit pot her onto some good soil and she should be aok.
Soil looks a bit dry, is the pot light?
As she is still a little girl I recommend a light feed of 1/4 strength that is recommended on the packaging. Young plants will burn if given full strength. She will soon cheer up with a nitrogen boost though, don't sweat.
Good luck, and be patient, it will take some time for her to look healthier. The leaves that are damaged now probably wont get better, but just look at the new growth colour to see the results of the feed. New growth should be a nice healthy green. Keep us posted Maveliman:).

Thanks so much John, should I also use Big Bloom during veg? After you saying Grow Big it seems to make complete sense to me. When you say per gallon is what confuses me. Because I never feed her a gallon of water since she's so small. I water her about 2 cups of water. If I make a gallon of fert & try to store it will it go bad. Will I be able to reuse it? I wouldn't mind making a gallon of FF Fert. mix but I wouldn't want to do it if I can't store it & reuse since I wouldn't feed her that whole gallon.

You can mix up a quart to a gallon at a time and re adjust the pH if needed before use. I would give your plant 1.25 millilitres per gallon or 1/4 teaspoon of Grow Big and 2.5 millilitres or 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of Big Bloom.

Here is the FoxFarm nutrient feeding charts, I recommend you be more conservative with the nutrient doses

If you mix up a gallon of nutrient mixture it should be alright to use, I commonly mix up 3 gallons at a time and use it until it runs out for my plants in vegetative growth. You should shake up the stored nutrient mixture before use and you may have to re adjust the pH.

So right now I'm suppose to be feeding my plant a gallon ? She's not even big enough to take that much water.. Do you understand what I'm asking. Sorry not quite sure if you understand. What I'm saying is if I make a gallon with water & nutrient in it. Could I store the gallon after I water her? Since how my plant isn't big enough to take in a gallon of water&nutrient mixture. Which would drown her from what I recall. I want to know if I could store it as in save it for the next feeding till I'm completely finish using that gallon.

If you mix up a gallon of nutrient mixture it should be alright to use, I commonly mix up 3 gallons at a time and use it until it runs out for my plants in vegetative growth. You should shake up the stored nutrient mixture before use and you may have to re adjust the pH.

I believe what John meant is that you can mix a gallon and it should be okay to use more than one time. Some organic fertilizers need to breath so if you make up a gallon using an organic fertilizer, just leave the top of the gallon jug open so it doesn't expand. Microbial activity can expand the liquid so...it's easier to mix a gallon than to figure out the fractions needed to make a quart.

So right now I'm suppose to be feeding my plant a gallon ? She's not even big enough to take that much water.. Do you understand what I'm asking. Sorry not quite sure if you understand. What I'm saying is if I make a gallon with water & nutrient in it. Could I store the gallon after I water her? Since how my plant isn't big enough to take in a gallon of water&nutrient mixture. Which would drown her from what I recall. I want to know if I could store it as in save it for the next feeding till I'm completely finish using that gallon.

Thank you so much; Makes perfect sense now. Another question, If I drop my waters ph to 6.5 correct would it go back up after it being stored for a couple weeks?

I believe what John meant is that you can mix a gallon and it should be okay to use more than one time. Some organic fertilizers need to breath so if you make up a gallon using an organic fertilizer, just leave the top of the gallon jug open so it doesn't expand. Microbial activity can expand the liquid so...it's easier to mix a gallon than to figure out the fractions needed to make a quart.

& John I'm so sorry didn't really understand what you wrote. But Thanks

Thanks a lot for the advice John. So I ended up checking the water ph & found out it was at 6.5. I went & bought a meter checked my water & all the gallons were already at 6.5 ph. Sounds kind of weird but that's how I got them. Anyways, yesterday I was able to run to my local shop & found out my FF OF came in as well with my FF Grow Big. I was going to ask should I add some more nuts to the 1/4ml of nuts & water mixture I already made? Or should I just leave her how she is now. She looks awesome though so Im not sure if I should. Once I'm able to get back to my house I will be taking a few pictures & hopefully will be able to get them on here ASAP.

If you are using tap water the calcium buffering effect must be overcome to have a stable pH. If you are using tap water the pH will rise by the next day without re adjustment.

I would wait until your plants are 4-5 inches tall and have 5 nodes of growth before adding nutrients, When your plants are 4-5 inches tall and have 5 nodes of growth I would start the plants on 1/4 strength nutrients and gradually over several watering work up to full strength nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom