Newbie First Grow - Outdoors - Bag Seeds

Update...of the five that popped June 15...only two are looking like anything. Two died over the weekend out in the sun on the table all day...bad idea. Three I left in the greenhouse

420-magazine-mobile366349582.jpg

420-magazine-mobile348733700.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1988536838.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I want to spray the plants with neem oil but I don't want to harm my frogs....tons of them hopping all over the yard...u have to be very careful where u step or u will step on them...we have rat snakes that come for the frogs and garden snakes spotted at a neighbours yard...Will the neem oil hurt my frogs and snakes.....btw I don't kill the rat snakes or garden snakes.

Hi there LilRed. I'm Heirloom. I'll do my best to look after you and get you some successes under your belt.

I live in a similar climate, in a state that touches yours. I see most of the same weather you do.

Sorry for what sounds like a recent split with a fella.

OK. Nutrients. I see everything your plant 'needs' growing wild in your yard. Can't afford or don't want fertilizers? Make teas/drenches from grass clippings and weeds. Seed heads that are forming on weeds are packed with everything. Thistle and dandelions are great ones. Have any Comfrey growing? It's a popular choice too.

Make compost. Grass and straw alone will make compost. Have a chicken or three, or maybe a neighbor? Composted poultry manure is great.

Make microbe boosting teas by bubbling a couple cups of good compost or even forest humus in a few gallons of water. Add a TSP per gallon of molasses (un-sulfured) as a food source to boost the populations of microbes. Bubble it with an aquarium pump and an air stone or two for 24hrs. Take a quart and dilute it into a 5 gallon bucket of water and then drench the plants, soil and foliar.

Mulch any planted plants with something... straw is fine. Leave it thick enough to shade the soil in the root zones, but not so thick that it mats and possibly blocks air. Mulching will reduce evaporation and cool the soil making the roots happier. It also encourages the soil food web. It attracts and helps shelter worms.

Pots in the South just flat suck. Especially plastic. You're cooking the root zones if they are in the sun. You'll want to shade any pots somehow, and make sure they stay moist, especially the little 6 pack cells!

The only problems with well water are high calcium, lead, iron or some other metal or mineral OR agriculture run off that has infected your water.

Feel free to ask questions or stop by my journal and say hi. I'm on frequently as I have little better to do with my free time ATM.

Welcome to the 420 family.

:circle-of-love:

I don't think it will harm them, but do a single plant test first. It may drive them off. Or it may simply force them to find food elsewhere if you get rid of all the bugs.

Frogs are a sign of a good enviro, and are the first to disappear when something is not quite right.

420-magazine-mobile1934994039.jpg

Good morning. I am a new grower as well on my second grow. I have read several journals over the past year trying to learn. I do not know much, but that looks kind of like a male plant to me. Maybe some one that knows more will chime in.

I don't think it will harm them, but do a single plant test first. It may drive them off. Or it may simply force them to find food elsewhere if you get rid of all the bugs.

Frogs are a sign of a good enviro, and are the first to disappear when something is not quite right.

I am forced to retract my statement that it wouldn't harm them. It is harmful, to fish and a indeed most all aquatic organisms. However, I doubt still that you are going to cause much harm to the population. If you went around like a mad woman and sprayed your property, sure. But you'll just create small local zones of no activity if you stick to foliars.

Good morning. I am a new grower as well on my second grow. I have read several journals over the past year trying to learn. I do not know much, but that looks kind of like a male plant to me. Maybe some one that knows more will chime in.

I am so scared that they are males....just waiting a few more days to see if it shows me some balls.

I am so glad to hear that about the environment. The lady that owned the property prior to me loved to garden and has beautiful flowers...trees and vines growing throughout. I am still finding patches of things she planted. She loved the outdoors and was big on preserving the land and organically growing. I found the greenhouse hurried about 3 acres from the house. I own 4 acres of land around my house. Most has grown up..but we are checking it out piece by piece.
I have loads of compost chicken manure and will put some tea on tomorrow after work. Thanks

That's a female, you put it out in May and it's probably been overcast. Pre-flower or little buds because not enough daylight until now. I have one I put out in May too and it's been in a waiting stage. Plus, you would have seen the balls by now.

Also...what to with this baby....she was doing so good....now this is what she looks like and is loosing leaves left and right....I don't know how to fix her....took her out the sun and put her in the greenhouse yesterday...she perked up but looks like this now
420-magazine-mobile1320918569.jpg

My greenhouse
420-magazine-mobile1952615276.jpg

This morning
420-magazine-mobile914629885.jpg

Also...what to with this baby....she was doing so good....now this is what she looks like and is loosing leaves left and right....I don't know how to fix her....took her out the sun and put her in the greenhouse yesterday...she perked up but looks like this now
420-magazine-mobile1320918569.jpg

My greenhouse
420-magazine-mobile1952615276.jpg

This morning
420-magazine-mobile914629885.jpg

Nice place! Just came from Denises, so I'll once again back up Heirloom on the frog thing.. I wouldn't risk it myself.. Try chili/garlic with the rosemary..
See all that water in the dish in the top photo? And the last photo you got rid of the excess water... That's all it was.. Plus that plant could use more light..
Lookin good, though! Enjoy your new land! 4 acres would be sweet...

Nice place! Just came from Denises, so I'll once again back up Heirloom on the frog thing.. I wouldn't risk it myself.. Try chili/garlic with the rosemary..
See all that water in the dish in the top photo? And the last photo you got rid of the excess water... That's all it was.. Plus that plant could use more light..
Lookin good, though! Enjoy your new land! 4 acres would be sweet...
I just put the water in the dish thinking it might need a drink. I did not want to water it from above but wanted to see what she would soak up....I will put her back outside as soon as the thuderstorm passes.

I was thinking of up potting and burying most of the stem tonight...but the bottom part is woody so I am not sure about that.

I know the temp is higher in there...I potted her in fresh soil that was less hot...the roots look good but are very small for a plant her size. I am wondering if the richness of the compost was too much for her cuz he had her in just plain dirt and was giving no fertilizer. I don't know if I broke off some of the roots when I dug her out as she was just thrown in the ground with like 15 other plants all growing on top of each other.

Could have, well, probably did damaged some roots. Keep it out of direct sun, and out of the green house. Shady side of the house or just inside the forest where it's cooler until recovered. Might be having issues with the chicken poop, it can be 'hot'. Have any kelp meal or liquid seaweed? Superthrive might help it recover too.

Back
Top Bottom