IMG_0216.jpeg
IMG_0233.jpeg
IMG_0234.jpeg

Was worried I’d left the irrigation on for babies downstairs.

Like for two hours with 180L in it. Be gone in about 40-45 minutws.

I had indeed.

Blue light was on, on the blue button.

I walked downstairs expecting a mess of flooding.

The alad, howvwr had totally mossxeotued my rewuest to switch rhe balves to the baby tent and switched them all off.

Still got 180L in the tank.

If you’re gonna fail. Fail to safe.

Anyway its u fair on The Lad because he helped me figure something out.

The middle right plant died first we replaced with our biggest bushiest model.

I mentioned a couple of things in previous posts speculating about things and our approach/rwactive alleoach.

We backed everything off. We turned off the Co2 and made sure the fwet waa los as can be.

“Back it all off and watch” its like our 101 for “Reading the plants”

Hmm I said - the plants showing the most “wear” are on the lines where the plants meet maybe?

Yeah.

So the Co2 gives the plants way more tolerence to light levels, heat and EC. We switched it off.

I also balanced the lights at the best ever totally square and touching each other. Took a load of blue PVC bits and carabiners one evening to balance them.

The plants are unusual uniform height at the moment for us.

The best girl and the ones remained on the lines between the lights are the burnt ones.

Its light overlap giving the plants at two edges double 80% the max PPFD for the max I think. Something like that. Magnified by unusually backing off the Co2

We reconnected a fresh Co2 tank and while we wait the Co2 to lick in the quickest, easiest dirtiest fix was to stagger the light heights between the three whilst raising them all up.

Taking some flash shots after lights out easiest to illustrate it.

I can’t tell how you how The Lad helped come up with the same theory as me other than to say he literally head butted the front right light and immediately blurted it out!

I don’t think it gave him an ephiphany!

He’ was excited to spot it

“Papa, you move that big one there, now have problem two lights close maybe?”

Yep buddy! i think so too!

Fun times!

IMG_0244.jpeg

They’ll do!

Tomorrow neam and topping. Might clone some. Gas is back on but pretty low level, ‘bout 900PPM in there.

Flip Sunday - also building our new trellis frames and nets.

Watering been a bit hit and miss the last few days downstairs.

IMG_0246.jpeg

These?

These, yeah they are a bit cast off. & Co had a point! But was vaping some the orange pheno Mimosa x Orange Punch - its sublime. It was similar cast off.

Its why I’ve found this 8x4 so useful the last grow and this where we run 40-50 plants concurrently. We can prioritise and cull less, the @Mars Hydro FCE4800’s are really forgiving. Gentle ticklers of the plant.

IMG_0247.jpeg

Meh. These miss the water the most.

We have Sparky coming Sunday.

I’m tempted to move an FCE4800 out of the 8x4 and replace the FC4800 Evo here. Footprint plus it just doesn’t seem to bang.

Def adding two 60w strips above. Maybe three horizontal ones as well.

Not topping and not sure flipping on Sunday.

Look amazing. But I want a kilo. Its not happening from flipping here.

That’s it.

Nick

IMG_0249.jpeg

Sorry this is important I just did.

So 5 days whatever from 10/14 lighting for 4 weeks, then 8/16 to finish

Yeah not typos.

ON/OFF formatted correctly.

I’ve switched on the secondary dehuey. Its gonna pump in some extra heat in so I ticked the AC down a bit.

I’m looking for say 68-70% Rh and 30c average (through 24 hours right now.

Of course the day will be wetter and hotter but its OK

Such is real life.

However much these plants have been bred and interbred for flavour/colours/enhanced cannabinoids - they are plants that originated in the tropics and high mountain tops.

They are really harsh environments.

We make do with the background environments we have. This works for us.

But thinking about the history of cannabis sativa has always helped me grow it better over any chart or sensor.

Skin&Eyes

Opinions may vary!

Just like phenos

Nick

This grow, really gonna try and keep myself on topic! Am awful for veering off into OT.

That said - this is board related.

I am by my own request not eligible to win contests. I first mentioned it when I won by random luck my first custom title for 4/20 day prize draw, 30 Year Anniversary Edition I said to Rob "Reckon I'm done with contests but I'll carry on entering them" I had a JOTM and a custom title - what more do I need in my life?

Someone was hugely kind enough to nominate me for MOTM 3-4 times, I forget exactly how many, towards the end of last year. I'm not the MOTM you're looking for but before January 1st I formally asked for me not to be able to be nominated for JOTM or MOTM again. I had my chances to win, the community voted and it was plenty reward enough for me.

Because? Well apart from a personal disinterest in public acclaim! My wife grows commercially. We're on to our second shop license. It doesn't seem fair because I treat my Patreon and other stuff, my time as a business expense. I learnt near everything I know about growing right here at 420maginazine.com. It just doesn't feel right to me that I should have 7020w of lights, 5 grow spaces, blah blah and be picking up prizes or something. I love nominating people,

I enjoy entering the contests pour encourages les autres but sure because the site knows my thoughts I'll never win Photo of - Nug and this contest, plant? Let's say I don't put my best effort in. I have many more nicer plants and nugs and could spend more time trying to win, I couldn’t spend any less time trying to win! But we've harvested like 5kg in 2024 or something already? It doesn't sit right with me. I play for fun.

The site obviously, Rob, Renee, Teddy, for sure. They have know for ages. Lots have people have known this since way back when, including someone who used it to piggy back off a comment I made to make themselves look better.

The content we create is a virtuous circle. It drives traffic to the site which means sponsors - sponsor. That pays for our community, here the place where we come for learning, to but also to chat and joke, when people suffer misfortune people? People rally round. Its meant to be a cherished community - it does need paying for though! I more than most know how much it costs to run a site like this. So I try to show off the styles and techniques we have learned here. As simply as possible. Help people grow more weed out of a tent - if I never grew in another tent again I would be happy but most people do round here so until I build out a proper room downstairs it is what is and I can at least try and figure out what works.

By the way, for the contests I love the new people, the ones that like us caught the growing bug hard, celebrate them. Give them a month or two of happy and a spring in their step from a new award! The people just have a new take on things or experience that just hasn't really been covered here at 420mag.

But yes - so nothing is misconstrued in future, I'll be passing on the contests unless adding "Just for fun" in future.

The world is ever changing, and this year may well make the Covid years look like a cakewalk, more than ever in nearly a century, its time to be building relationships stronger, not trampling on the backs of others in a scramble for attention.

Lets try and be a little more kind to one another,

Nick

This grow, really gonna try and keep myself on topic! Am awful for veering off into OT.

I am by my own request not eligible to win contests. I first mentioned it when I won by random luck my first custom title for 4/20 day prize draw, 30 Year Anniversary Edition I said to Rob "Reckon I'm done with contests but I'll carry on entering them" I had a JOTM and a custom title - what more do I need in my life?

Someone was hugely kind enough to nominate me for MOTM 3-4 times, I forget exactly how many, towards the end of last year. I'm not the MOTM you're looking for but before January 1st I formally asked for me not to be able to be nominated for JOTM or MOTM again. I had my chances to win, the community voted and it was plenty reward enough for me.

Because? Well apart from a personal disinterest in public acclaim! My wife grows commercially. We're on to our second shop license. It doesn't seem fair because I treat my Patreon and other stuff, my time as a business expense. I learnt near everything I know about growing right here at 420maginazine.com. It just doesn't feel right to me that I should have 7020w of lights, 5 grow spaces, blah blah and be picking up prizes or something. I love nominating people,

I enjoy entering the contests pour encourages les autres but sure because the site knows my thoughts I'll never win Photo of - Nug and this contest, plant? Let's say I don't put my best effort in. I have many more nicer plants and nugs and could spend more time trying to win, I couldn’t spend any less time trying to win! But we've harvested like 5kg in 2024 or something already? It doesn't sit right with me. I play for fun.

The site obviously, Rob, Renee, Teddy, for sure. They have know for ages. Lots have people have known this since way back when, including someone who used it to piggy back off a comment I made to make themselves look better.

The content we create is a virtuous circle. It drives traffic to the site which means sponsors - sponsor. That pays for our community, here the place where we come for learning, to but also to chat and joke, when people suffer misfortune people? People rally round. Its meant to be a cherished community - it does need paying for though! I more than most know how much it costs to run a site like this. So I try to show off the styles and techniques we have learned here. As simply as possible. Help people grow more weed out of a tent - if I never grew in another tent again I would be happy but most people do round here so until I build out a proper room downstairs it is what is and I can at least try and figure out what works.

By the way, for the contests I love the new people, the ones that like us caught the growing bug hard, celebrate them. Give them a month or two of happy and a spring in their step from a new award! The people just have a new take on things or experience that just hasn't really been covered here at 420mag.

But yes - so nothing is misconstrued in future, I'll be passing on the contests unless adding "Just for fun" in future.

The world is ever changing, and this year may well make the Covid years look like a cakewalk, more than ever in nearly a century, its time to be building relationships stronger, not trampling on the backs of others in a scramble for attention.

Nick
Dude :cool:

Back to plants.

Still not certain I'll flip Sunday. I procrastinate in the video! Maybe a week of say 14/10.

Rh is probably 68 - average of two sensors. Not temp sensor. Feels cool to my skin so 29C - that gives VPD of 1.05 which with 1100ppm Co2 is pretty spot on for what I want in veg. If its not pitching plate its ballpark.

Nick

Musing musing.

For sure one day we’ll grow organic.

@Keffka @Azimuth and @Gee64 who are as as good as they come on the organic stuff,

Organic nutrient methods give a more natural grow, therefore a healthier grow because its what the plant is designed for better - lets leave aside taste stuff for now and Keffka wrote a great post on something like “good possibility tech will catch up and it will be unnoticeable”

This is more just throwing around ideas on environment.

I mean growing anything not under pure sun, outdoor isn’t natural right? Whatever your light choice.

So then when you go a level deeper/wider lever we so try to control our environment - such consistency, whether its feeding times, Temp, Rh (ultimately this is VPD)

We strive for consistency. But that’s a further layer of “not real world”

I seem to be finding that a bit of stress, in different ways (I am fo sho not the first person to notice this - very late to the partty!) So I don’t mind doing a bit of random watering. Look, see and if you forget? Yeah? Just don’t forget too much! At the end drought/light change all these things. The VPD fluctuations are normal to real life.

But maybe that’s one of the benefits of organic growing?

The plants gets dozens of micro stresses because its not on demand.

I know the three of you have said other (myco colonies can help make it more efficient for example) types of benefits.

But it comes back to plant stress.

Tell me you’ve either told me this dozens of times, or I’m mad, I’m OK with either!

Nick

Nick
Nicely put Nick and good luck with the shop 👍

IMG_0307.jpeg
IMG_0308.jpeg
IMG_0309.jpeg

So yesterday I said I reckoned 29c and 68%? Insaid ai was gonna tick the AC higher (I moved from 21c to 24c)

Now I reckon 32c and ooph! 73% Rh, Still about 1.1 VPD. But I’ll tick the AC lower and turn the dehuey lower - the dehuey is gonna put out more hot (but dry) air so need to balance it.

You’ll see I’ve put the Pulse sensor in there - but Scouts Honour - nir looked the numbers yet. I’m wrong I’ll show the pictures just the same.

IMG_0311.jpeg

I thought that one would live. Swapped out Permanent Marker. You’ll see to the left, two bigger plants?
IMG_0315.jpeg

Just for canopy level reasons I think swap it out. Its half the height the average?

IMG_0312.jpeg
IMG_0313.jpeg
IMG_0314.jpeg

No idea the random yellow one! Weird pheno whatever.

Reckon we top the 4x4 and the 8x4 tomorrow.

Not sure the Flower room still. Need ask & Co about defol and nothing topped but they’re pumping in there. Miss flip by a week might be an issue even with our ceiling space!

Nick - actual not just Skin&Eyes metrics in a bit.

IMG_0310.jpeg

IMG_0320.jpeg

Now I reckon 32c and ooph! 73%

How’d I do?!!

Well its 34.5c so under and 62% Rh.

Could be that hot. Its does feel dryer in there? I had to go and feel again see what I missed.

IMG_0321.jpeg

This sensor says 59% Rh so call it 60%
So dehuey putting out too much hot air and making too dry. Alright. Dial itnin al little bit more. No problem. It’ll micro change all day on its own.

VPD 1.2 now? Its punchy sure! But we’re flipping tomorrow.

And I’m going to turn the lights up because now they’re at 75% x 18 hours

(This is the most basic way I can think about DLI)

75 points light x 18 hours

= 1350 Hardy Light Units

So,

100 points light x 12 hours

= 1200 Hardy Light Units

So instantly they get a shock down in DLI

Now I’ve always generally been more interested in PPFD/Par/uMol type measurements but wondering if its horses for courses. This course beingbthe flip course. I’ve done the 36 hour blackout flip (if anything slower) I used to gently push up 75-80-90-100%

Plants may have a better memory for hours of lights.

I could just bump them to say 90% and get 1080 HLU but then I put them up more after makes no sense in nature.

Anyway my flip gambit

Its actually called DLI the maths really actually isn’t any harder than what I used above . But just using the dimmer multiplied by hours means only eyes and mental arithmetic required.

IMG_0322.jpeg

😂

Defol tomorrow.

Going so so lean.

The Demon Barberess super happy. She has free reign to cut and cut deep.

I bought her an early birthday present yesterday. Arrives next week.

A 3 Litre Ultrasonic Cleaning Unit.

Designed for trim scissors. Dunk them in the 3 litre water tank for 5 minutes and every little bit of skank is gone. If only there were a bogan nurse sized one. But yep pro grade cleaning and no need use isoproply constantly anymore. Well not for trim blades. Or even to fair anything in the house, that can be contained in a 3 litre water bath.

$50 in the US, a bit less for me.

Nick

IMG_0326.jpeg

Oh the 8x4 and the 4x4?

Not going to pipe Co2 in.

I bought a bunch of big organic type sachets.

They’ll be a bit late to the party - really last week of veg or earlier you want - they take a couple of weeks for full release but it means aside the lazy man style watering system these are totally normal home grow grows! No fancy.

The closed loop AC - c’mon! Growing outdoors in a tent in the tropics?!

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Its a tough gig!

There are no sensors (well working) in any of the tents now - but ai got a weather station reckon I can figure it!

Nick

IMG_0341.jpeg
IMG_0342.jpeg
IMG_0343.jpeg
IMG_0344.jpeg
IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg
IMG_0348.jpeg

Neamed again. Swapped another one erring on the side of caution. A GMO has joined the mix. Another one I’m more interested in than the main crop!

Oh and the obvious! & Co defoliated, actually, less harsh than I thought. I suggested “max power”

Topped about two thirds of them.

Sparky cancelled. Tomorrow now.

So I might manually give them 16/8 with the lights tonight.

Then tomorrow they can go 14/10 for 6 days. In a week we’ll flip.

Metrics all cool in the gang.

FeelS great. What feels great to me?

Warm skin, move around a bit and not insta sweat. Not hotter than outside the door - slightly cooler than outside the room is OK. Never hotter! Its a slightly lower temp than as it is tonight outside so that OK. But much dryer.

What does great look like with metrics?

IMG_0350.jpeg

Sure I could pitch for 1.2VPD at this stage, but there’s been some sensitivity shown by some of them, and you know they just had large amounts their bodies chopped off them so 1.0VPD I’m good with. Lets check they respond OK.

The light reading is current. It was taken to the edge of the front right light. About 6” below the top of the canopy. So in an are with no overlap, single light. I am 100% sure its more like 8-900PPFD over most of it and possibly more in places.

They look like they’s enjoying it to me.

That’s it

Nick & Co

IMG_0349.jpeg

Something on EC.

I bumped the whole grow EC yesterday. i moved from 2ml/L to 2.5ml/L in Dutch Pro basically. I hadn’t checked the EC move until earlier.

We were at 2.05 I think? When I checked earlier it was 2.11. Seemed wrong and I knew why.

I just went back and cleaned the two EC contacts. Literally wiped them with a cloth. Dropped the sensor back in and lo!

EC 2.3 you’ll see below the Solos are more green than those in the flower. Tomorrow I think for sure I’ll split the tanks. This 2.3 is great downstairs - no Co2. I’ll tick a little higher for the upstairs tank.

Just topped all the plants in Solos. The trellis is good to go after defoliation tomorrow.

Nick & Co

IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0353.jpeg
IMG_0354.jpeg
IMG_0355.jpeg

IMG_0366.jpeg
IMG_0367.jpeg

Sparky running a bit late on stuff so dialed the lights down to 25% while they wait for him to finish downstairs. .

Sunset mode.

We’re going 12-12 on everything tonight.

The 4x4 most interesting but got home to see they hadn’t been fed in 5 hours (they were defoliated this morning as well)

IMG_0364.jpeg
IMG_0365.jpeg

Yes that would be three extra lights in there.

They’re not plugged in now. Do that in the week when the mushroom Co2 packs are in.

And their watering schedule is known to all in the house.

“Always be watering!” Shall be the mantra.

& Co just said this is my last shot at growing in solos. She really meant it too.

Fair enough!

Nick

IMG_0371.jpeg
IMG_0372.jpeg

Running these on manual light another hour. They’ll get a classic flip - straight from 18/6 to 12/12. I need them to recover.

The resiliancy of plants saves my ass again!

Already better than 90 minutes ago.

That big white fan is gone tomorrow. There are two new black swing ones in there. The HVAC was tweaked a bit and obviously they need a rearrange.

Just feeling pretty lucky seeing the inside of my 1000w light that broke during the other grow.

I covered it in the contest grow with Jon.

Feel super lucky.

Nick

Day #1 Flip

1x Bruce Banner
1x GMO
1x Pineapple Chunk
1x Animal Mints BX1
2x Imperium X
6x Future #1
6x Permanent Marker

18x plants.

& Co is cloning today. Don’t think we’re bothering with the high THC, Imp X, Future or Permanent Marker.

Flavour free zones so far.

Gas is temporarily off. Being collected as we speak.

Took a new light reading. The lights are at 18” from the blue horizontals - wow those things make it easy to take readings! Nice place to rest my arm for a minute or so.

They’re at 100% and 1100 PPFD? Sure that’s OK! Don’t think there’s too much overlap where I tested. Likely as high as 1400 elsewhere.

11-1200 average is fine by me.

The metrics? 1.3 VPD bingo is its name-o

Hopefully some stretch and folding through the trellis during this week and next and we’ll add another layer of trellis.

Thinking at about 18” more - so where the lights are now.

Nick

IMG_0379.jpeg
IMG_0380.jpeg
IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom