Noob questions before purchasing equipment

Mindblank

Previously only ever grown outdoors but tired of dealing with pests and mould issues.
I’m about to jump into using a grow tent but have some noob questions.

1. looking at a starter kit
Spider Farmer SF2000 LED Lamp+ 120x60x180cm Grow Tent Kits
is something like this adequate to grow 10 Oz?
2. Height of lights? Is it from top of pot or tent floor?
3. Roughly how long from germination to harvest using a grow tent?
4. how long is each stage in weeks? is there a basic table I can use?
5. is it safe to use a tent in an outdoor shed? Should I be worried about heat signatures from choppers? Lol….please don’t laugh

once I get the equipment I’ll look at starting a journal as I will definitely need help from you guys
seeds to be used at this stage are bought but been sitting a couple years as I only grow every few years for personal medical use.
hard to get seeds to Australia these days.

TIA

Previously only ever grown outdoors but tired of dealing with pests and mould issues.

5. is it safe to use a tent in an outdoor shed? Should I be worried about heat signatures from choppers? Lol….please don’t laugh

once I get the equipment I’ll look at starting a journal as I will definitely need help from you guys
seeds to be used at this stage are bought but been sitting a couple years as I only grow every few years for personal medical use.

TIA
There is a seed bank in Australia im in Australia too ,led lights dont throw a heat signature like the high pressure sodium or metal halide lamps do they get warm but not really hot like the old days with HPS and MH you are probably going to need a 4ftx4ft tent to have more than 1 plant in it, there are 4ft x 5ft 2 room tents 1 part is 4ft x 4ft and there's another section on the end of tent for clones and mother plant that 4ft x1ft .
Im planning on buying one of them as a second grow .
Time of grow is dependent on how big you grow plants flowering will take roughly 9 weeks and add on how ever long you have it in vegetation for .
Tent should be fine in shed if you have neighbours fit a carbon filter on extraction fan .
Did I miss anything you wanted to know?
:passitleft:

TIA
And im going to use this light in the 2 room tent it fits nicely in the 4ft x 4ft section.

TIA
Careful posting links if they aren't a sponsor of the site you will get a warning and your post will get edited , I got warned once not realising 😊

Careful posting links if they aren't a sponsor of the site you will get a warning and your post will get edited , I got warned once not realising 😊
It's harmless when it's a genuine question and not a promotion.

But regardless, it wouldn't hurt to check out some lights from our sponsors.
And of course check out some journals by our members because
there's plenty of growers here and some are likely using the light you're inquiring about or
an other that might interest you.

The amount of bud you yield at harvest time is going to depend on a lot different factors
however 8oz in a 2x4 is a very achievable goal.
And there's a lot you can do to increase your odds of success.
Don't overcrowd the tent, I wouldn't recommend much more than 2 small plants in a 2x4.
Keep your canopy level by training the plants. Look up low stress training if you haven't yet.
Make sure you have some nutrients ready and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek advice.

Welcome to the site.

The recommended hanging height is from the top of your plants. This is why it's so important to keep an even canopy.
Light won't penetrate a thick canopy very well and of course the intensity is going to be much lower near the bottom of a tall plant. During the vegetative period you don't need much more than 500PPFD but during the blooming period,
the ideal ppfd nearly doubles to 1000. The sweet spot is probably around 14" at 100% for blooming as it is with others.
But most manufacturers provide solid recommendations.

Anyway, I think @Absorber answered the rest.
The time until harvest is going to vary a bit depending on the strain you're growing.
Personally, I wouldn't veg for more than a month and a half or two months.
This ensures the plants don't get too tall and you don't overcrowd your space. So about 4 months start to finish.

I would also second the recommendation for a 4x4 or a tent with two compartments.
You'll outgrow that 2x4 quickly as your hobby develops into a growing addiction lol.

The recommended hanging height is from the top of your plants. This is why it's so important to keep an even canopy.
Light won't penetrate a thick canopy very well and of course the intensity is going to be much lower near the bottom of a tall plant. During the vegetative period you don't need much more than 500PPFD but during the blooming period,
the ideal ppfd nearly doubles to 1000. The sweet spot is probably around 14" at 100% for blooming as it is with others.
But most manufacturers provide solid recommendations.

Anyway, I think @Absorber answered the rest.
The time until harvest is going to vary a bit depending on the strain you're growing.
Personally, I wouldn't veg for more than a month and a half or two months.
This ensures the plants don't get too tall and you don't overcrowd your space. So about 4 months start to finish.

I would also second the recommendation for a 4x4 or a tent with two compartments.
You'll outgrow that 2x4 quickly as your hobby develops into a growing addiction lol.
I have a 3ft x 3ft tent at the moment and that's small id hate to be trying to grow in a 4ft x 2ft tent ,personally

TIA
Also have you decided on the style of hydroponics you are going to do ,SIP pots ,flood and drain ,airoponics etc

yield will depend on tent size and canopy area. it's doable in a 4x4.

i would not go with that light though. for the money i'd get a strip rig which will have better coverage. you want a light that reaches to the edges of the tent. the platters concentrate too much in the center. what you shoot for is wall to wall rig.

measure it from the top of the canopy. 24 - 36 inches in veg. 18 - 24 inches in flower. and work your dimmer as well.

depends on strain and whether indica or sativa and auto or photo. it will be as long as it takes.

no. see above.

depends on your laws and where you are growing. be sure to educate yourself on the law. there are ways to defeat FLIR if they are still using it in your area.

there are several growers here who use an out building for growing. it's best to have the environment in the building you chose to be controlled at least as well as your house for heat, humidity, ac etc. most chose to do it in the house as it's easier than fully setting up an out building.

go have a look at @Bill284 's journal to see a proper year round set up. then go have a look at @InTheShed 's indoor /outdoor grow for an idea of a summer shed grow with minimal set up.

aus is a great climate to do an indoor / outdoor. there are several members here from that part of the world, hit them up for seed info.

35w LED per square feet is what's considered lower optimal. 4x2x35=280w LED would be optimal in that space. With that low ceiling that light is pretty optimal for that footing though. You need higher ceilings to use higher output optimally.

Height of light and distance is really hard to give a clear answer to because there's to many variables to take in to consideration. What I do know is you should not trust manufacturers numbers and distances. They might be calculated and measured in an optimal settings and environment with added CO2 and not even growing Cannabis, go figure?!. Then you have all the environmental factors, different types of diods and their changing outputs depending on different loads to take in to consideration. In veg they need very little and you're better of with 50% of full output in flower.

Go by plant response and learn how to read the plant through changes in transpiration and photothropism.

yield will depend on tent size and canopy area. it's doable in a 4x4.

i would not go with that light though. for the money i'd get a strip rig which will have better coverage. you want a light that reaches to the edges of the tent. the platters concentrate too much in the center. what you shoot for is wall to wall rig.

measure it from the top of the canopy. 24 - 36 inches in veg. 18 - 24 inches in flower. and work your dimmer as well.

depends on strain and whether indica or sativa and auto or photo. it will be as long as it takes.

no. see above.

depends on your laws and where you are growing. be sure to educate yourself on the law. there are ways to defeat FLIR if they are still using it in your area.

there are several growers here who use an out building for growing. it's best to have the environment in the building you chose to be controlled at least as well as your house for heat, humidity, ac etc. most chose to do it in the house as it's easier than fully setting up an out building.

go have a look at @Bill284 's journal to see a proper year round set up. then go have a look at @InTheShed 's indoor /outdoor grow for an idea of a summer shed grow with minimal set up.

aus is a great climate to do an indoor / outdoor. there are several members here from that part of the world, hit them up for seed info.
Here is a little of the construction right at the beginning.
VIVOHUT

But you should read this one first. :Namaste:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎
Edit: omg @bluter :ciao: thank you for the Tag.:thanks:
Sorry I forgot.
Hope everything is going well with you my friend.
Take care.

there's plenty of growers here and some are likely using the light you're inquiring about or

The amount of bud you yield at harvest time is going to depend on a lot different factors
Don't overcrowd the tent, I wouldn't recommend much more than 2 small plants in a 2x4.
Keep your canopy level by training the plants. Look up low stress training if you haven't yet.
Make sure you have some nutrients ready and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek advice.

Welcome to the site.
If you’re going to be growing in a hot climate then you might also need some sort of A.C. CL🍀

Welcome to the site.
Yes I usually use LST to increase my yield.
have had much success getting great yields of a single plant under 5 ft tall including pot height outdoors.
my yearly usage is 4oz and usually grow every 2 years.
So you think 2x4 should be ok for a single decent sized LST grown plant?

Yes I usually use LST to increase my yield.
have had much success getting great yields of a single plant under 5 ft tall including pot height outdoors.
my yearly usage is 4oz and usually grow every 2 years.
So you think 2x4 should be ok for a single decent sized LST grown plant?
It's a good size for a single plant however if you grow two then you should be able to fill the floor space in half the time.

TIA

I would look at site sponsors lights, people here really like Mars Hydro. I can consistently harvest over 16 ounces in a 3' x 3' tent.

Use recommended distances from light manufacturer and tweak that, measured from top of plants to light.

Depends on strain, veg time, photo's or Auto's.

Most will veg photo's 4 - 6 weeks indoors. Autos are on there own clock (strain dependent)

It is legal to grow where I am in the USA. I do grow in a shed that I built. Seems that if you insulate and use good carbon filtration you should be able to keep it stealth, you just need to watch out for nosey neighbors... I am just completing a grow now, 4 plants approx 34" x 42" space, I already have 3 plants dried and curing in 9 quart jars. I just chopped the fourth plant on Tuesday this week... I will end up with around 22 - 24 ounces of dry cured bud. They are all Auto flowers. I sprouted the seeds at the end of April through the beginning of May

You should start a journal when you start your grow, plenty of great growers here ready and willing to help.

Good luck and Happy growing!!! :hookah:

There is a seed bank in Australia im in Australia too ,led lights dont throw a heat signature like the high pressure sodium or metal halide lamps do they get warm but not really hot like the old days with HPS and MH you are probably going to need a 4ftx4ft tent to have more than 1 plant in it, there are 4ft x 5ft 2 room tents 1 part is 4ft x 4ft and there's another section on the end of tent for clones and mother plant that 4ft x1ft .
Im planning on buying one of them as a second grow .
Time of grow is dependent on how big you grow plants flowering will take roughly 9 weeks and add on how ever long you have it in vegetation for .
Tent should be fine in shed if you have neighbours fit a carbon filter on extraction fan .
Did I miss anything you wanted to know?
Thanks buddy.
if my seeds don’t look good or I have trouble I may get some more information about the Australian banks

Coupon Code MARSHYDRO14TH to save 14% (Aug 14-27th)
Coupon Code 420MAGAZINE to save 3%

Coupon Code 420XS15PRO to save 8% on XS1500 Pro

Those are just the ones I found by doing a quick search.
You can dig through threads here for more options.

Coupon Code MARSHYDRO14TH to save 14% (Aug 14-27th)
Coupon Code 420MAGAZINE to save 3%

Coupon Code 420XS15PRO to save 8% on XS1500 Pro

Those are just the ones I found by doing a quick search.
You can dig through threads here for more options.
Thanks, have checked a few of the Marshydro kits out
whats The main difference between an SP and TSL light?
is it the shape? Is one better coverage?

Back
Top Bottom