Obi's AK-48 - A Grow Journal & Review

Wow.

Well what was the sample nug like? Enquiring minds wanna know :)

No potency at all yet :/

I'll keep checking each weekend. Next weekend will be about 8.5 weeks of flower.

No potency at all yet :/

I'll keep checking each weekend. Next weekend will be about 8.5 weeks of flower.

Awe shucks really?

One would think at this stage it would have a good swift kick in the seat of the pants by now.

Is this normal and expected for current genetics? Or did you not expect this?

20 Years ago a nug this far along still hadda pretty good poke in the eye.

However I must say it looks delicious. You've done a fine job of bringing this crop along. Lets hope its just a late bloomer.

Cheers

Some of these indica's are so strong it feels like a giant marijuana plant came over and beat the snot out of you. :)

Nice for late in the evening, so an afternoon rush plant would be nice to add to the menu.

Cheers

Ya know... I've addressed that issue by mixing different strains together in my grinder. I've really become enamored with the mix and match magic.
Perhaps I need to create a recipe book.... 1 part OGK, 1 part Pineapple chunk, and 1 part UltraDog.... you get the idea.

Awe shucks really?

One would think at this stage it would have a good swift kick in the seat of the pants by now.

Is this normal and expected for current genetics? Or did you not expect this?

20 Years ago a nug this far along still hadda pretty good poke in the eye.

However I must say it looks delicious. You've done a fine job of bringing this crop along. Lets hope its just a late bloomer.

Cheers

I was anticipating something but wound up rolling half the sample in some Pure Power Plant kief due to lack of effect. The PPP at that point in its grow gave me a nice tingly sensation above the ears.

They really do look ready to the naked eye. The trichomes haven't changed much lately though. Extremely low amber ratio. This is my first grow with this strain so I'll have to wait and see how they finish.

My T5 bulbs have been through about 7 grows. I'm sure they are fairly weak by now as well. That may attribute to a slower maturing rate. I wonder how these would be under a 1000 watt lamp.

/Obi

My T5 bulbs have been through about 7 grows. I'm sure they are fairly weak by now as well. That may attribute to a slower maturing rate. I wonder how these would be under a 1000 watt lamp.

/Obi

An excellent point. I cant tell from a distance but are the buds tightly packed?

Years ago when I was growing, going from my 140 watt grow box to the 400 watt HID more that kicked it up several notches.

I don't know how FL's roll off in output. But like most gas based lighting, I'm sure they do. I only got 3 grows out of my HID's before I notice the output dropping.

Some of the hardware stores sell a cheap little Moisture / Ph / Light intensity meter you could log the output now then change up the bulbs to new ones and log it again. This would give you your answer for sure. Maybe new bulbs now to finish this off?

Food for thought.

Cheers

I've been giving a new light some very serious thought and research over the last year. With my new, 2 room setup coming along I'd like to dedicate the T5 to the veg room and build a custom LED array for flower.

That should speed up my strain searching and ramp up production so I can avoid running out of meds between grows. My goal is to harvest 450g every 90 days with a 4-6 plant perpetual grow. We'll see about that.

/Obi

A perpetual SoG you say?
What are your sq/ft and height for both bloom and veg?

My bloom room will be 12-18sqft (3x4 or 3x6) with 7ft ceiling.

The veg room is larger. I know that is backwards but I need to keep my bloom room honest and under control. Knowing myself it's the right thing to do, lol.

My bloom room will be 12-18sqft (3x4 or 3x6) with 7ft ceiling.

The veg room is larger. I know that is backwards but I need to keep my bloom room honest and under control. Knowing myself it's the right thing to do, lol.

We've earmarked a 12 by 12 bedroom for extra curricular activities. :) Reno's are under way.

I can only hope that we display the same steely eyed self control that you are displaying here. But now that I have two 1000 watters and three 400's, I'm feeling weak. I'm my defense we have been in the desert for 3 months... No stuff at all.

I liken it going grocery shopping when you are hungry. Not the best plan. :)

Cheers

I've been giving a new light some very serious thought and research over the last year. With my new, 2 room setup coming along I'd like to dedicate the T5 to the veg room and build a custom LED array for flower.

That should speed up my strain searching and ramp up production so I can avoid running out of meds between grows. My goal is to harvest 450g every 90 days with a 4-6 plant perpetual grow. We'll see about that.

/Obi

I think you'll like doing a perpetual. Ever done one before? It has some interesting nuances that I bet you'll enjoy discovering.
Your 6 plant goal for 18sqft seems a bit tight for 6 big plants.
I feel 4sqft/plant might be enough. Hell... my little 2Ls chew up ~2sqft ea.
Of course, in a perp. SoG, you'll have some smaller younger plants in there... but all in all, I feel you might be slightly tight there.
Got a wattage goal in mind yet? Decided on the type of LEDs? The white ones seem all the rage lately... at least that's the murmurs I'm hearing.

I've got room for about 10 2L girls in my area. They're all pretty small, so quick grows. I'm averaging a harvest/week. Fun stuff... but kinda busy with that number of girls. I want to shift up to a larger pot/plant size but gotta get some infrastructure in place first.

I think you'll like doing a perpetual. Ever done one before? It has some interesting nuances that I bet you'll enjoy discovering.
Your 6 plant goal for 18sqft seems a bit tight for 6 big plants.
I feel 4sqft/plant might be enough. Hell... my little 2Ls chew up ~2sqft ea.
Of course, in a perp. SoG, you'll have some smaller younger plants in there... but all in all, I feel you might be slightly tight there.
Got a wattage goal in mind yet? Decided on the type of LEDs? The white ones seem all the rage lately... at least that's the murmurs I'm hearing.

I've got room for about 10 2L girls in my area. They're all pretty small, so quick grows. I'm averaging a harvest/week. Fun stuff... but kinda busy with that number of girls. I want to shift up to a larger pot/plant size but gotta get some infrastructure in place first.

I think you're right, Tead. 6 plants will be too many. I'll run 3 or 4 really healthy ones.

Speaking of perpetual, I misspoke. I intend to run 2 strains at a time. One in veg and one in flower, rotating rooms every 90 days. That's not really perpetual but it will feel like it after only having 1 cabinet. I don't think I could handle harvesting weekly, lol. Yikes!

For the LED's I'm going to build my own. I'm still researching though my studies lead me to believe Pink grows the Stink. White COB's with additional, dedicated red diodes for flower enhancement.

Consider more plants not less.

Except don't trim them so much - limit tips / colas.

Each plant is limited genetically as to its height, as is the root ball. You can add more cola tips, but you cant add more roots. So creating more tips will spread out potency across the plant. Hence the potency of your buds will drop. Too many grow tips / colas will tax the root ball.

Hence I prefer more plants, trimmed less for this reason. I get a better more potent product.

Food for thought.

Cheers

Update
Day: 140
Stage: Flower
Veg Days: 70 @ 18/6 6500K 8 Bulb T5HO
Transition Days: 10 @ 12/12 mixed light spectrum
Flower Days: 60
Light: 12/12 3000K 8 Bulb T5HO
Temps: 64F-73F / 18C-22C
RH: 46%-64%
Water: None
Amount: N/A
Nutrients: None
Nutrient Strength: N/A

Notes: Day 60 of flower. The plants are looking shaggy. I keep looking for amber trichomes. There are a few here and there but not many. I'm trying to decide if I want to water one more time or just let them go. The potency is still disappointingly low.

I'd keep going based on your tests. Maybe 70 to 75 days.

Considering how much time, hard work and money you have invested, I don't think another week or two is too much to invest. If you do this, you will know whats going on. Cut it down now and you will have unanswered questions. Maybe try a sample next weekend and make the call then. No improvement, down it comes.

Lets hope for a late bloomer.

I'd keep going based on your tests. Maybe 70 to 75 days.

Considering how much time, hard work and money you have invested, I don't think another week or two is too much to invest. If you do this, you will know whats going on. Cut it down now and you will have unanswered questions. Maybe try a sample next weekend and make the call then. No improvement, down it comes.

Lets hope for a late bloomer.

This ^.....I'd water and give them another week

Update
Day: 141
Stage: Flower
Veg Days: 70 @ 18/6 6500K 8 Bulb T5HO
Transition Days: 10 @ 12/12 mixed light spectrum
Flower Days: 61
Light: 12/12 3000K 8 Bulb T5HO
Temps: 64F-73F / 18C-22C
RH: 46%-64%
Water: RO pH 5.7
Amount: 4Gal/15L divided between the 4 plants. Runoff from all.
Nutrients: None
Nutrient Strength: N/A

Notes: :)

Hello Obi, it looks like we are rowing the same boat. I have two AK48 from Nirvana that are in day 61 of flower also. They have been dropping leaves like crazy, all the pistol hairs are brown and the things look finished--except there are few amber trichomes???? I agree that the buzz is a bit light. NOt the one hit wonder ( $400 / oz ) shit that a friend smoked with me a few years ago. I bought some Nirvana seeds last year and grew one AK48 and though I never checked the trichomes the buzz ended up being very inferior to the Aurora Indica I had growing. My current two plants poppod on Dec.20th and vegged till Feb 25th under 400watts mh and flowed under 400 watts HPS in soil with FF nutes, temps 65-81 , humidity 45 -65. I don't think either of us are doing anything wrong. I am beginning to think that this AK48 is just not a heavy hitter. That sucks because I have 8 really nice clones / plants ready to move t tent or outside. On the plus side this strain is easy to clone, easy to grow, stays short & bushy, almost no smell till late in flower. Your journal is almost a mirror image of mine and we are getting the same results. I just took delivery of more Aurora Indica, Bubbleliscious, and Northern Lights from Nirvana. The Aurora will stay in my line up for sure. I hope I have better luck with the other two. I wish you the best Obi. Maybe it will turn around at the last minute for us. Peace NH

Back
Top Bottom