Pat and Edge's Unknown/AK/Lowryder#2 Grow - 2010

Some Pics of Abby and Ziva

Abby is now an inch shy of two feet tall. Four primary bud sites and plenty of small braches.
Side
Abby_2_5_months.jpg

Abby_Arial.jpg

Close Up
Abby_Close_Up.jpg

Ziva is quite the bushy girl. She's boasting tons of tops...
Side
Ziva_2_5_Months.jpg

Ziva_Arial.jpg

Close Up
Ziva_Close_Up.jpg

;)

Thanks, Bud. Those 2 right there are basically all CFL. There's a red LED in with them, but its so weak its not even worth using IMO. We LST'd Ziva, the bushy one, and Topped Abby, which is why they look so structurally different from each other. Im almost positive that the strain is Trainwreck, too. Whatever it is, its going to be bountiful and wonderful. Not too sure how much longer they'll take, but estimates put it around a month till harvest. By that time, the Lemon Skunk and Church should be into their flowering phase, too!

Thanks for the kind words MH, I've been keepin an eye on your grow, and man, I am thoroughly impressed. Ziva is coming along about a week farther in bud production than Abby, which isnt too strange, considering Ziva was LST'd and Abby was Topped, so they might grow at different rates. Ziva's got about 40% rust colored hairs, Abby about 15%. Decent trich development on both, but again Ziva is farther along in almost all respects. I forecast another 2 weeks for Ziva, 3 or 4 for Abby.

Anyone have any tips on promoting bud production in the final week or so before harvest? Abby looks to have tremendous potential, IF she fills out.

Lastly, smoke report on the AK47... Its very mellow tasting, with a kind of sweet bite to it, almost sugary, on the inhale. Exhaling is almost fruity to me, very pleasant. Its got a sort of creeper high, and is definitely heavily sativa. For me it seems to bring about a severe case of mental ADHD--4 second attention span, brain in overdrive mode. I love it!

Well Abby and Ziva are nearing their harvest time I'd say. More leaves are starting to go lime-colored as the plant eats itself up, and the trichs are starting to really get frosty. One thing I was wondering... I trimmed a couple of lower branches on Ziva a few nights ago; small ones with tiny tops that had at most 7 or 8 hairs. These branches were about toothpick-sized, and werent getting much light. The next day, her trich production on the upper buds seemed to go into overdrive. I was wondering if this was a result of the trimming, or if it was just a coincidence. Well, last night I trimmed up Abby something fierce, probably removed 10 mini-branches with tiny buds on them. Im hoping that this will increase her resin production in the upcoming days; we really need to get these 2 plants out of the cab to make room for Church and Lemon Skunk!

Sorry for the wait, nothing big happening till the last couple days, here are some new pics....
Abby's 4 main buds....lookin nice.
AbbyTowers.jpg

Here's a shot of some of Abby's leaves as she finishes off her life
AbbyLeaves.jpg

Now a close-up of Abby... She's got about 75% white pistils, but her trichs are turning amber. You cant really tell in this pic, but the full-rez version shows it
AbbyClose.jpg

Here's a closer shot of one of Abby's leaves with the amber trichs. Its hard manually focusing a camera with a jewelers loupe, so its kind of blurry.
AmberTrichs2.jpg

And lastly a shot of Ziva's tops. She's getting cut very soon.
zivatop2.jpg

So there you have it. Abby and Ziva are closing in FAST on harvest time, most likely before the end of the week, with Abby going first. Sample buds were taken from Ziva, and they smell gorgeous. Cant wait!!!

Thanks Sanibel, always good to have another follower; we do our best work when aided and cheered on by others. I checked your Pineapple Chunk grow out, lookin Mighty fine over there! We're probably gonna germ a PC soon, and I'll definitely be referring to your journal on a frequent basis.

Now a question for anyone out there in cannabis land...
How important is pistil color when considering harvest? I know that the trichs are what hold the goodies, but it seems like my trichs are going mostly amber while there are still vast amounts of thicker white pistils on the bud. Will the white pistils create a harsher smoke, or will they brown up as it dries? We dont know the strain of Abby and Ziva, its just bagseed, so should we harvest according to the trichs (my preference) or according to the pistils? (I havent read much about pistils, and it seems that some plants stay white for a while.)

How important is pistil color when considering harvest?

Not even slightly.

I can - and have - caused pistils to turn color and wither through OOPS actions. And if a bit of pollen hits one it'll do the same thing right quick (as its life's mission has been served) but it'll still be a period of time (while the seeds are maturing) before things are done.

I know that the trichs are what hold the goodies

Exactly. Checking your oil doesn't tell you a thing about whether or not you've got gas in the tank. It's just a thing used by those who cannot afford a $10 scope as a best guess (but there is of course a better way in many instances), IMHO.

but it seems like my trichs are going mostly amber while there are still vast amounts of thicker white pistils on the bud.

They look more milky than amber to me in your pic. But I'm color-challenged, lol. Mine used to look greenish until I realized that the light was so bright that it was shining through and picking up the color of the plant on the reflection.

We dont know the strain of Abby and Ziva, its just bagseed, so should we harvest according to the trichs (my preference) or according to the pistils? (I havent read much about pistils, and it seems that some plants stay white for a while.)

What I bolded.

There's always the 40:60 rule. How many days they stretch is 40% of the total flowering period (assuming stable lighting and no extreme stress events) and you can safely harvest on the "100%" day. You are of course welcome to harvest slightly earlier or later in order to slightly affect the effects (lol) but the 40:60 thing generally leaves you with the type of effect that the strain is inherently wired to produce.

As with all my posts, YMMV.

Thanks Sanibel, always good to have another follower; we do our best work when aided and cheered on by others. I checked your Pineapple Chunk grow out, lookin Mighty fine over there! We're probably gonna germ a PC soon, and I'll definitely be referring to your journal on a frequent basis.

How important is pistil color when considering harvest? I know that the trichs are what hold the goodies, but it seems like my trichs are going mostly amber while there are still vast amounts of thicker white pistils on the bud. Will the white pistils create a harsher smoke, or will they brown up as it dries? We dont know the strain of Abby and Ziva, its just bagseed, so should we harvest according to the trichs (my preference) or according to the pistils? (I havent read much about pistils, and it seems that some plants stay white for a while.)

To my knowledge like you said the trichs are where it is at, when I harvested my snow white the hair color changed over to more orange during the drying process. Just my two cents. :rollit:

SG

good looking plants.....im always looking for a hand in autos.
check out my grow.

Well Abby and Ziva are now fully harvested; had to make room for Church, Lemon Skunk, Vanilla Kush, Pineapple Chunk, and some Green-o-matics and AK-47 autos. Sadly Abby and Ziva are lacking in the quality we'd hoped for, but maybe that will change as the cure progresses. They were bagseed, though, so no big loss there. The hairs went from white to an orange-pink color, which is pretty cool. The buds are stringy and loose though. In total we got about an ounce from the 2 combined, dry weight. Further smoke reports coming, and possibly a new journal for the next stage of this grow! Thanks for stickin along guys, its been fun thus far.

How are things going?

Back
Top Bottom