PiperPete's White Rhino, Blackberry, and Bubblelicious in Soil, 1/5/2014

piperpete

Beginning of journal for PiperPete's White Rhino, Blackberry, and Bubblelicious Grow.

• Number of grows under my belt: 0
• Seeds
○ 6x White Rhino normal seeds.
○ 2x Blackberry Feminized seeds.
○ 2x Bubblelicious Feminized seeds.
• Soil
○ Current seedling: 50% CoCo, 50% ProMix.
○ Planned Veg: 50% CoCo, 25% Roots Organics, 25% Promix.
○ Planned Flower: 50% CoCo, 25% Roots Organics, 25% Promix.
• Water
○ H2O run through a SmallBoy to get rid of sediment and Chlorine (has upgraded filter).
○ Nutes as needed/recommended by the growing gods on 420 forums.
○ Currently adding .5ml of pH down to get water to a pH of 6.2.
• Grow Pots
○ Germination: Paper towel with spring water, in a zip lock bag, between two plates, in a warm place (on a seedling warming mat).
○ Seedling: Cell pack inserts. (seedling trays).
○ Veg: 1 gallon round pot.
○ Flower: 3 gallon round pot.
• Grow Room
○ 4x2 for germination/seedling/vegetation.
○ 4x3 for Flower.
○ Tents are locked in a 10' x 7' room.
• Lighting
○ 2x T5 Stick CFLs for germination and seedling.
○ 4 Tube, 4 Foot Fluorescent for Vegetation.
○ 600 Watt HPS for Flowering.
○ Going with 24/7 light for Veg under Fluorescents.
○ Planning to go 12/12 for flower under HPS.
• HVAC
○ 1500 Watt Oil filled radiator style space heater.
○ CVS Warm Steam Vaporizer
○ 2x 6" Oscillating Fans.
• Current Operating Environment
○ Veg: 74.5F - 76.5F, 55-60% rH.
○ Flower: Unknown.

First thing to note is that the room where I have the tents is located in a basement. The house is relatively new construction, and is forced hot air. It is located in the North East part of the country. At this time of year, we are getting down into single digits. Given the house is well insulated, the basement gets down to 40F at night. The main house stays at living temps.

In addition to the temp issues, I have a humidity issue. When the forced hot air comes on in the main part of the house, it seems to suck any moisture in any part of the house out. The meters show that when the heat in the house comes on, the humidity goes from the low 40% range, to the high teens. Yes, that’s right. I've tested using 5 different meters.

In order to combat these two problems I have been testing the use of a warm steam vaporizer, and an oil filled radiator style heater that I bought from home depot for $50.

In terms of monitoring the heat and humidity, I knew this was going to be a struggle, so I went and purchased a couple of digital thermometers/hydrometers. I can plug them into my wifi network, then control them from my computer. I can also control the power strips that my heater, humidifier, lights, and exhaust are plugged into. In the software that controls everything, I can write rules like "When the heat drops below 74.5F, turn the heat on until it reaches 76.5F." Or, "When the humidity drops to 45%, turn on humidifier until it gets to 55%", etc…. Very powerful. I've got this hooked up to both my Veg tent and my Flower tent. I tested over the course of the last two weeks during the day and night with the lights on as if I was doing a grow. Everything works, and the temp stays within a 2F degree range, humidity stays within a 5% range 24/7. The exhaust comes on every 5 minutes to vent the room, supply fresh air. Once things go into the Flower room, the Exhaust will need to stay on constantly during the plant day cycle (due to heat from the HPS), and then will go on an every 5 minute schedule during plant night cycle (heat never rises enough to need it for heat alone).

So far, I think I have everything working from a hardware perspective, please comment and let me know what you think about the hardware setup, any adjustments I should make.

Seeds were put into the zip lock bags on 1/5/2014 at about 9pm. Checked every 12 hours. At 24 hours, half the seeds had begun to crack and show a little bit of a tap root. At 36 hours, they were all out, with at least 1/4 inch of a tap root. Planted them in 50% CoCo, 50% Promix in the Cell style seedling trays. I cut off 12 cups. They were placed in a greenhouse dome, and placed in the tent on a warming matt. Temp in the dome is about 80F with 79% humidity. I believe this is what the seedlings like before they break ground.

Question:

When do I take them out of the dome? I've heard some say keep them in there for 3 weeks, or when I am ready to transplant to the next sized pot. I've also hears some say that I need to take them out of the dome as soon as they break ground, so they can get warm/circulating air. Not sure about this.

I'll post pictures, as I did check this morning and noted that they were popping out above ground now.

I'll also add, during testing, I used some extra seeds I had. I didn't want to go straight out of the gate with the seeds that I wanted to grow. I germed 11 seeds two weeks prior to the current one. Some of the seeds didn't germinate. Some of them germinated, but then didn't break through the soil. I think my containers were too big maybe. I also had a power issue (has been resolved). Out of those 11 test seeds, 7 are growing. Not sure if I am going to keep them, or let them die and concentrate on the new batch, which was the goal all along. There are 3x White Rhino normal seedlings, 2x Bubblelicious feminized seedlings, 1x Blackberry feminized seedlings, and 1x White Widow seedlings.

I'm still not sure how many 3 gallon pots I will be able to fit in the flowering tent, which is 35"x54"x80". Any comments on that would be appreciated.

WP_20140109_008.jpg

Can't get a great shot of the tent given the size of the room. But this is a shot of the tent standing outside.

WP_20140109_003.jpg

This is a pic of those test plants I was talking about. These are the ones that have obviously survived.

WP_20140109_004.jpg

Pic of the seedlings that I have in the dome. How long do they stay in there? The test ones, I took out of the dome as soon as they broke ground.

WP_20140109_006.jpg

Heater.

WP_20140109_007.jpg

Humidifier.

Here are pics of the temp and humidity in the tent over the last week. As you can see, the temp doesn't stay static very long. Its constantly fluctuating between 74.5 and 76.5 or so. The big drops in the temp aren't really drops. It just happens to be when I rebooted the computer that runs the server software for the sensors and power.

As for humidity, it swings up and down between 50-60%. The dips you see here are due to either the fan coming on to exhaust, or the tent being opened up for some reason. I'm going to fix this issue by pumping moisture into the air outside the tent as well. That way when the fan comes on, and the tent draws air from the room, it will be drawing roughly the same rH air. Right now, the air outside the tent has rH 34% while inside the tent at the same time the rH is 58%.

Anyway, here are the profiles over the last several days.

temp38.JPG

Pic of Temperature Graph, in F.

humi.JPG

Pic of the Humidity Graph, in rH %.

Last thing for the night....... I want to be able to calculate how much energy this little journey is costing me. The reason is, because my next time out I am going to dry LED, then next after that, solar power tent. Anyway, here is an example graph. This is the growing usage of electricity, in kW/Hr. In my area, electricity is billed at roughly $0.15/kWhour. So, this month I have spent roughly $2.63 on my 4 tube, 4ft T5s. I'm only using two of the four tubes right now, so the price will jump once I turn all four on (later in veg?).

T5s1.JPG

So, two questions I have for the masters.

1- How long do I keep them in the dome? Should I take them out now, and run them under 2 of the 4 Floro tubes?
2- Assuming I am running these at 2 of the 4 tubes, when do I switch to all 4?

Right now, the two tubes running are 8" away from the tips of the test plants (the older plants on the left in the pics). They are 16" from the tops of the baby's in the dome.

Thoughts?

Hello, Piperpete :ciao:

Welcome to :420: and journaling!

Wow, you really have the kinks of heating/humidity/ventilation worked out. Wish I had half as much control over my grow environment as you do. It's really cool that you can monitor and manipulate from your computer. I have to do it the old-fashioned day and walk down the steps and flip a switch. :laughtwo:

You can remove the dome from your tiny babies. They like the same humidity levels as other vegging plants. Also a gentle breeze will help strengthen their stems.

I'll be following along with your grow and I'm sure others will be here soon, too.

I'm impressed with your thoughtfulness and organization. Have some reps!

Happy growing!

Looking good I take mine out of the dome as soon as they sprout that's just me but I don't have fem seeds so I veg the seed for about two weeks then strait to flower for sexing I take a clone when they streach in flower so if its f I keep if m I toss

Can someone tell me please, how far should the lights be from the tips of the plants? I've got two different batches here. One that is 16 days old that is under the 4 tube 4 foot Flouros, 2 of the tubes on, about 4 inches from the tips of the plants. The babies are under a single CFL, which is about 6 inches from the tops of the babies. Does that sound about right?

Hey there. Great set up, pretty much down to the last detail. As far as the light distance, I use fck sanding like them exactly 4inches! Use your hand, if it feels good for you then it feels good for her!

Can someone tell me please, how far should the lights be from the tips of the plants? I've got two different batches here. One that is 16 days old that is under the 4 tube 4 foot Flouros, 2 of the tubes on, about 4 inches from the tips of the plants. The babies are under a single CFL, which is about 6 inches from the tops of the babies. Does that sound about right?

With fluoro tubes and CFLs you can keep them pretty close, as close as possible without burning the plant. Skillz is right by saying to use your hand. Put your hand at foliage level and lower your light down until you can feel it putting off heat. If it's not too hot for your hand it's fine. I keep my CFLs about 2 inches from my seedling's leaves. I'd 2-4 inches is a good range. Further than that and your seedlings will stretch and take on a 'leggy' appearance.

Some other light types are different though and can bleach your plants if they're too close.

Looking good that's about where I run mine I was gifted a couple leds put one in veg at 30" over tops. Can't wait to see the frosty startin in there

Just a reminder, I was paranoid that I would screw up my first batch, because I am a believer in failing first before achieving success. So, I planted some test seeds just before the batch that I intend to survive through to the end. I'm glad I did, as I've lost a few of them making the usual newbie mistakes. Its also giving me a chance to see what nutes actually do without doing it on a plant that I truly care about. I know I should are about them all equally, but I believe in sacrificing a few to benefit all. ;-)

Anyway, here are three pics from three different plants. Is this nutrient burn?

yellowingtips.jpg

greenleaf1.jpg
brownleaf.jpg

Thanks.

Here is a pic of the batch that I am hoping not to screw up with. Still little babies. The two on the far right are Bubblelicious Feminized. The next column of two are Blackberry Feminized. The rest are White Rhino normal seeds. Note the one with the clip on it. I think I planted the seed too shallow, so when it came through the soil, it had some bright white curved parts slightly exposed. I added soil from same mix that I planted them in to cover it up, but it was still flimsy. So I clipped it up, and said a prayer. Whatever.....

beta-babies.jpg

This is s pic of the grow room, with the Veg and Flower tents. This was taken right after the day cycle transitions to night. Note the difference in temp and humidity between the room itself, and the two tents. During the night, the room gets down in the 40s.... Its the US Northeast and its 11F outside....

I don't have anything in flower yet, just testing to make sure everything works ok. Should be putting ladies in the flower tent some time around 2/2/2014, I think.

growroom20.JPG

Back
Top Bottom