Plants look a bit sad: any ideas?

I just ran some phed water through them now they all have a run off ec of between 2 and 2.4.
I will also start watering twice a day instead of what I have been doing.
Do not water with plain water water with a very dilute feed ca/mg and your base.

Sometimes I miss a day cos I'm lazy ..... doesn't seem to cause any problems.
Forget about measuring stuff in coco runoff, it doesn't matter.
Why is the runoff not important? I’m curious how you think it doesn’t matter.

If Run-off EC is High:
The best solution is to increase fertigation frequency.
The most likely cause of high EC run-off is excessive losses to evaporation between fertigation events. Increasing frequency will help to prevent EC from drifting too high between fertigation events.

If increasing frequency is not practical or not helping, then you should increase quantity of nutrient solution applied at each fertigation to ensure a thorough saturation of the media. Increasing the quantity of run-off should help lower the quantity of salts in the root zone. Quantities may be reduced as EC returns to the acceptable range.

Only if run-off EC is dangerously or persistently high, should flushing with a lower EC solution be considered

Water every day with coco make sure you have a good runoff the only thing I check is the ph I like to keep it around 6 have had great luck growing in coco if the tips of your leaves are turning yellow your just past the max nutrients your plant can handle
CE237C70-FD66-4A67-99AC-20E507A2F2E6.jpeg
CE237C70-FD66-4A67-99AC-20E507A2F2E6.jpeg

Sometimes I miss a day cos I'm lazy ..... doesn't seem to cause any problems.
Forget about measuring stuff in coco runoff, it doesn't matter.
Ummmmm....I guess. I’d say this about growing....anything. The more precise you are with your feeding and watering schedule and fulfilling that schedule the better your plants will be...not only health wise but in potency also. It’s the difference between just throwing seeds outside, letting nature take care of everything, hoping nutrition and water are enough or being on a strict schedule and guarantying they have enough. missing a feeding or watering won’t kill your plants you are right....but not all affects of missing those things are easily seen. LOL sorry took me a while to get there. Happy Growing!!!EB12E1A6-1EC6-483F-8853-9EAE87582784.jpeg

If my plants in coco looked over fertalized and my runoff ec was super high , id flush with correct ph 1/4 strength feed untill the ec came back in check then water daily with 1/4 strength nutes to decent runoff untill signs of needing more,
But , this is where its tricky , the 30l pots are pretty big for coco and not something i have experience with and the myth about not being able to overwater coco make it difficult to recomend a solution because it is possible to drown your roots..
If it were me i would airate your mix prior to feeding that'll help.. and if you can add some sort of product that promotes healthy roots like ( your using canna so ill use theirs as an eg.) rhizotonic and cannazyme add them too but after you airate (otherwise youll brew a tea) simply tho you could add them in your mix shake the bejeez out of it and feed..
Or going the other way, even h2o2 can help keep the rootzone healthy and aid in available o2 to the roots..
Goodluck!

Yes you want your coco constantly wet.

If you need to do a flush to get rid of salts then flush with about 20-25 gallons of 5.8pH water with molasses mixed in.
Then water everyday with 1/4 strength nutrients, maybe even twice a day in late flower.
And why am I only watering with quarter strength nutrients?

I think of it like a little mini flush every day( or more when they are thirsty). You're watering, feeding and introducing oxygen all in one. It's hard to say without knowing how full your root ball is. You generally want to get a decent amount of runoff each time, probably a litre at least per pot for that size, which as others mentioned is pretty big for coco. Not sure about the possibility of overwatering due to that..You might be stuck letting it dry a little, or going full blast on frequent waterings might do the trick too. For future reference you can easily grow a beautiful 4-6oz plant in even a 11L fabric pot of coco with the right light and strain.
Regarding runoff ec.. No need to measure.. If you're feeding properly it's going to be fine.. If you are letting your coco dry much at all its going to be high. Pretty simple stuff.

I think of it like a little mini flush every day( or more when they are thirsty). You're watering, feeding and introducing oxygen all in one. It's hard to say without knowing how full your root ball is. You generally want to get a decent amount of runoff each time, probably a litre at least per pot for that size, which as others mentioned is pretty big for coco. Not sure about the possibility of overwatering due to that..You might be stuck letting it dry a little, or going full blast on frequent waterings might do the trick too. For future reference you can easily grow a beautiful 4-6oz plant in even a 11L fabric pot of coco with the right light and strain.
Regarding runoff ec.. No need to measure.. If you're feeding properly it's going to be fine.. If you are letting your coco dry much at all its going to be high. Pretty simple stuff.
I Run 6L pots and they yield great.

Not sure i fully agree with you chris, ive run into it a few times in coco if given wet dry cycles instead of watering daily to decent runoff they can build up salts and cause issues,

This might not apply to the op. But when re-using coco i find it absolutely necessary to flush it heavily with ph'd water and even a lil calmag like 1/4 strength untill the ec of the runoff comes back down its surprising how high it can be after a grow,

Just something i thaught might be worth looking into, ill sit back and follow along id like to see what other experienced coco growers think of this
:passitleft::peace:
When I use Coco out of a bag I wash the hell out of it. I run about 50 gallons of pH 5.8 water through it til my run off comes back between 5.6 - 6.0. I do mix the perlite in before I flush it.
I let that dry 3 days then add 5 gallons of pH 5.8 water with 20 ml. of Cal Mag + and let that sit 1 day. Next day I put 5 gallons of 1/4 strength nutes & 10 ml. of Cal Mag. Let that sit over night & then I plant my seeds. This has worked well for me.
I know most people don't do all this. But I found I have a lot less issues with pH run off this way.
Some say Run Off doesn't matter. In soil there's buffers & it's less important. But no Buffers in Coco so I disagree on Run Off not being important with Coco. I feel it is. Everything I read (not posts) but articles say Run Off pH is just as important as the pH of the nutes you're adding.

Hey, I was recently turned on to some Video's on You Tube called Lex's World. This guy knows his shit & goes into detail of how things work & happen step by step. Really good shit. Might want to check some of them out. If it weren't for his video's I'd still be trying to figure out I had a K def. in my grow. It's fixed now thanks to the video. Great info source.

One last thing. A lot of people here tend to repeat things they've heard & haven't actually tried their selves. I tend to look for grows similar to mine & read their journals. I pay close attention to what they do right & especially any problems they encounter so I don't do what they did. Just another way to avoid problems. If it's a new growers journal I don't bother with it. I move on to an experienced growers (at least 3 years since they joined) journal as they have more than likely done this a few times & have fewer problems.

It's true the coco has no buffers so it's important to ph the nutrient solution. That's also the reason why run off ph doesn't matter in my mind. It becomes whatever you put in, and what's out, is out! We know the pH to put in so do it. If you are fertigating coco frequently enough you're basically constantly rinsing the medium and at proper strength/ratios you will never need to measure runoff anything... If you are doing something wrong the plant will let you know. Almost every issue I see on here is caused by overfeeding in general, underwatered coco or over watered soil. Quite a bit of unsuitable mediums too. :peace:

Only real reason I check run off pH in Coco is to insure I have no salt build ups throwing the pH off.
If you feed often enough it's probably not even necessary as you're constantly flushing out excess & adding usable nutes. But I prefer to stay safe & check everything even though it may not be needed. Maybe I just worry too much ... LOL.

This rubbish looking plant had a runoff ec of 3.6!!
Screenshot_20200416-212408_Gallery.jpg

Highest the truncheon reads and it has pretty much died at day 40 or flower. The 3 others had a runoff ec of between 2.0 and 2.6 and look how they are going.
Screenshot_20200416-212424_Gallery.jpg

Might of had something to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom