Popping My Cherry - Colesdad's 1st Grow - Doing Hempy w/Autos For Medicinal Purposes

Re: Popping My Cherry - Colesdad's 1st Grow - Doing Hempy w/ Autos For Medicinal Purp

Good call on the plain water. Looking good sir!

Re: Popping My Cherry - Colesdad's 1st Grow - Doing Hempy w/ Autos For Medicinal Purp

I'd be giving her more nutrients, not backing off. When growing outside of soil, you should be giving nutrients every feed because they don't really have much stored to feed on.

Just my 2 cents :)

I've been recently burnt by over feeding and tent to be on the cautious side these days. Sphnx may me more on point here,

I've been recently burnt by over feeding and tent to be on the cautious side these days. Sphnx may me more on point here,

It's all about finding that magic pH number :) In every strain it's different. But once found you can feed and feed and feed until YOU are full hahaha They plant will just keep growing and growing because of the abundance of nutrients around.

Looking good Colesdad. I think that is just the growth tip you're looking at, not really a bud. That would be where you would top or fim if it wasn't an auto. Also, in post #160, you mentioned that your next grow would be in 100% perlite. Good move. That is my preferred method. Not that it's the best, but it is one of the easiest, especially with hempy. One thing that is mentioned somewhere on this site, and it is good advice, is to sieve your perlite to get the "dust" out. You don't have to, but, if you don't, it gets washed down into your perched water table and turns to a syrup-y white mud, kind of defeating the purpose of the air space in the perlite. I just did four 10 litre buckets and it took about a half hour. You should also wear a dust mask, do it outside and stand up-wind. Just an opinion and if anyone else says different , you should probably listen to them.

Too Old, yes I did flush the perlite. However, I will do it differently next time. I flushed AFTER I filled the jugs, I got a ton of run off, and kept flushing until it was clear. But I never thought about some sludge that is probably sitting in the bottoms. Thanks for the tip, great advice!

Jugs were dry, so I watered today. I did full nutes. I say "full", but im only giving them full as if they are seedlings, only 1/4 teaspoon each. I've hurt them with nutes took early so I'm taking it slow for a few more watering to see how they do. I also did one table spoon of Epsom salts in my 1 gallon watering jug. I believe the added magnesium is really helping, a lot. They are very green and the newer leaves that were yellowing are now green again.

Here is a picture of them chillin in the bath tub after their watering.
2014-10-28_17_36_11.jpg

Good! Glad to hear things are looking up! :)

Too Old, yes I did flush the perlite. However, I will do it differently next time. I flushed AFTER I filled the jugs, I got a ton of run off, and kept flushing until it was clear. But I never thought about some sludge that is probably sitting in the bottoms. Thanks for the tip, great advice!

Jugs were dry, so I watered today. I did full nutes. I say "full", but im only giving them full as if they are seedlings, only 1/4 teaspoon each. I've hurt them with nutes took early so I'm taking it slow for a few more watering to see how they do. I also did one table spoon of Epsom salts in my 1 gallon watering jug. I believe the added magnesium is really helping, a lot. They are very green and the newer leaves that were yellowing are now green again.

Here is a picture of them chillin in the bath tub after their watering.
2014-10-28_17_36_11.jpg

:bravo: on the recovery !! i wanna try the mango it sounds tasty .

i wanna try the mango it sounds tasty .

I sure hope so!
:cheesygrinsmiley:

Update.

All is well in Colesdad's house of runt autos. Other than the tallest plant being 5 inches, I'm very happy with the way they look. I changed the level of nutes for the watering this morning (makes me nervous) to a "full vegetable stage". 2 scoops of Micro, 2scoops of Floragrow and 1 scoop of Floragrow. The scoops of Micro I believe will be most beneficial because of the calcium in it. My ppm is up to 1200, but im okay with that because my grow really isn't going to yeild much. I'm kind of now looking at this whole thing as a learning curve, so I'm not stressing anymore. I'll get something out of this, but im thinking I'll get a a couple fatties or 5-6 bowl fulls. Hopefully enough to convince the wife that this "pot growing" thing is a good idea. I've been making this project much harder than it actually is. My set up is fine, good light, good air movement, good note taking and good vibes. So next time, I will change the human involvement.

NLBB1 has wonderful white hairs, Mango is a wonderful green with a few hairs of her own. NLBB2 has not grown, still about 3 inches tall, but she is green and I'm okay with that.

So, that's for now. Be back in a few days with some pics and an update with how they do with their new nute dosage

Great update Colesdad - looking forward to more.

I like that not stressing out part! :cheesygrinsmiley: It helped me on my first grow to convince myself that my plant was male (which he was) and so "it didn't matter, I'm just practicing." I was hoping this auto flowering second grow would be a stress reducing choice for me, but ultimately I'm still a worrier/hoverer.

:peace:

Rest in peace, NLBB#2.

I pulled her out, it's been too long for her to really do anything. She was just shy of 3 inches tall. I wanted to go ahead and start another auto seed I have. I have another Northern Lights X Big Bud and a Delicious Cheese Candy. So I decided on growing the Candy. I'm using another milk jug, but im doing 100 percent perlite. The vermiculite was staying too damp. I'm not starting in rock wool cubes, I'm doing a paper towel to germinate. I felt the rock wool held way too much moisture. The roots are a whopping 2 inches long, but, that's because they didn't have to look for water because I was over watering, and the wool and the vermiculite were always wet.

Here is poor NLBB#2. I apologized to her and said to her that i did appreciate the things she taught me.
2014-11-02_20_58_44.jpg

i know exactly what your talking about ..

on my first grow i over analysed everything and was stressed out !! if i would have been a plant i would have hermied lol..

my first grow was a expensive learning session but it did yield a little ok weed so it wasn't a total loss. but with my passion to succeed and this site and the awesome members on it it has all paid off .

Yup. me too. Been there, done lost a set of babies because I "loved them to death"

happens once, then you move on.

Your next crop will blow you away

i know exactly what your talking about ..

on my first grow i over analysed everything and was stressed out !! if i would have been a plant i would have hermied lol..

my first grow was a expensive learning session but it did yield a little ok weed so it wasn't a total loss. but with my passion to succeed and this site and the awesome members on it it has all paid off .

Yup. me too. Been there, done lost a set of babies because I "loved them to death"

happens once, then you move on.

Your next crop will blow you away

Absolutely! RIP NLBB#2

:peace:

Colesdad - I answered your post on my journal before I came over here, so I'll just paste it here if I can.

Very carefully! Most people say not to disturb them in the paper towel, but I check on them at least twice (more like 3-4 times) a day. I like to get them into the perlite as early as possible, for two reasons: first, it is a more stable and easily controlled environment, and second, the longer the sprouted root is, the better the chance of damaging it. Once I see the root emerge, I plant it about 1/2" down into the moistened perlite and carefully cover it, then soak the planting site with about a 100ml of water to settle the perlite around the seed (don't worry, you can't drown it!) I think that I planted this last round of seeds a bit deep, they took a little more than two days to break the surface. To get the seed off the paper towel, I use anything at hand that is flat and easily manipulated. This time I just used a table knife and used a toothpick to roll the seeds up onto it. Just about anything will work as long as you don't crush the poor little girl. Did you sieve your new perlite? DO NOT get that dust in your airway! Good growing!

Colesdad,
Epsom Salts has no Calcium. It is Magnesium Sulfate. Good about using 100% perlite next grow. I do however prefer using a Root Riot Plug, after soaking seed in water til it falls to the bottom I put it in the plug, some use a Rapid Rooter plug. You should try to get a 3 gallon bucket for autos. Small pot means small POT when growing autos. I also start feeding with RapidStart as soon as she pops out of the plug. My Fast and Vast Auto, plant number 2, is 42 inches tall and 38" wide and has just started showing preflowers like yours. Good luck on your next attempt.

WJ

WJ,
Saw your photo on Smoke Saras thread, very nice! With my SSDI income, Christmas is a 3 month budget. We love to spoil our 9 yr old. The magic of Santa Claus is so wonderful, a child's innocence is the purist form of happiness.

Thus, the reason I'm using another old milk jug for my new Candy seed. I actually started reading labels recently and discovered the truth of the Epsom salts and that the Micro is the only nute that contains calcium.
What home remedy would you suggest for a calcium supplement? And, would there be any difference with a medium of perlite/vermiculite vs a medium of just perlite?

Colesdad,
You just got to hang in there. My wife thought buying all the stuff to grow wasn't going to be much. I have over $1000 invested so far. I figure I have gotten about almost all of it back in medicine, so far. Almost a half pound total from three plants, not counting the one in the photo. When I make the oil, it costs for the 2 bottles of everclear, @ $17 a bottle, not sold in my state, so I have to travel or pay shipping. Seems like I spend more every week, so my wife says. But I spend for my veggies too. And not every week.

As for perlite and vermiculite, some people use a 80% perlite 20% vermiculite mix. If you use it together, mix it real well. and have a layer of perlite on the top and bottom. I have never used vermiculite. I also use perlite to grow my tomatoes. I use the same 3 gallon buckets for my tomatoes. I clean most of the perlite in the spring to reuse it. Can you reuse vermiculite? I don't know.

I know what you mean. I was retired 100% disabled In the Line of Duty and get 40% of my salary. Raised two kids and at present helping with 3 grandchildren. I do understand saving for six months for Christmas. So if you can, go to the dollar store, you can find a plastic trashcan about 2.5 to 3 gallons in size for a couple dollars. You can also go to Lowes or HD and get a 5 gallon bucket for a couple bucks and cut it shorter if you want. It will be your cheapest buy with your best maximum benefit. If you are using this for medicine, it would be more practical and economical to grow one plant as large as you can, than to grow more than one plant. I usually grow one, this time I grew two. I had to come up with a room for my growing as the tent was way too small for my two Fast and Vast Autos. Remember that, Fast and Vast Autos are B-I-G. It's hard to come up with any room when what you have is limited. Here is my mantra, Largest pot gives the largest Pot plant. Autos like lots of room for roots and they grow fast. When they feel crowded, for the most part, they stop growth and produce just flowers.

My opinion is just that, mine. And some might differ. There are so many ways to grow cannabis. But I do know that if you are doing this for medicine, you want as much as possible. That means give them root room, feed them what they need and don't try to feed much less than what the nutrient maker suggests unless you see tip burn. My plants always have some burned tips. Just the tips you understand. But I follow the GH FloraNova feeding schedule. I'd like to add some bloom supplements other than just KoolBloom liquid. I can't justify buying the dry version to use so little of it, 1/8 - 1/4 tsp per feeding for two weeks and you need to buy 2.2 pounds $25. So I know how you feel. It's hard to put out the money especially so close to Santa coming.

The NLxBB auto that you are doing is a large producer the way I grow. I got about 3 ozs from the one I grew. It made some really good oil. No seizures for over a month. Been curing my other Fast and Vast and will make the oil this weekend.

I just bought a new 32 oz bottle of CaliMagic on ebay for $16, includes shipping. I also use this for my tomatoes as well as Epsom Salts and I go through a couple bottles a year. I don't know anything you can use instead of a Calcium Magnesium supplement. Your girls require it under LED lighting. One 32 oz bottle will last you a few grows. Epsom Salts supposedly helps with sweetening the flowers and sweetening the odor from the flowers to attract more pollinators. The reason farmers use it. That is why I use it in my medicine grows.

So for less than $20 you have what you need for your upcoming grow. You also might be able to ask anyone you know that is in the construction trade if they can get you a five gallon bucket. Just clean it well with bleach and rinse well and then wipe it with a paper towel with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, drug store or grocery store kind. In any case, you will need a CalMag supplement for your plants. All my stuff is GH. When I run out of GH I will try something else. Maybe my tomato nutrient blend. Masterblend 4-18-38 plus Calcium Nitrate 15.5-0-0 and Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salts). The NPK value equals out to be 20-18-38. I also add 5 ml GH CaliMagic per gallon. I use a lot of CaliMagic. The nutrients are dry and I mix it in warm water 5 gallons at a time and make up 30 gallons every 10 days. There is one grower that grows with a blend with an NPK near this. But his NPK is closer to what I grow my lettuce with. Toker69 is his name and he is using Colloidal Silver to make female seeds. Check his blog out.

If you have a farmers coop near, you can try CaNO3 Calcium Nitrate, but it is mostly Nitrogen and it might ruin your crop. It's NPK value is 15.5-0-0. And it would nearly cost as much as what you really should use.

Hope this helped you. PM me anytime for clarification on anything I've said. I think 5 gallon buckets are $2.85 at Lowes. I would cut 4" off the top though.

WJ

Back
Top Bottom