Quest for 1G/W: 1K HPS Liquid Cooled on a 6' Mover in a 4x8 Tent

Re: Quest for 1g/w: 1k hps liquid cooled on a 6' mover in a 4x8 tent.

Yeah, you have to add whatever reminders you need.

I also have a small dry-erase board right next to the BIG RED LETTER LIST for writing down any other additional reminders.

I don't know about the dog collar aversion therapy, although I'm sure it's quite effective, lol.

Ahh, the checklist. the most simple and effective safety device pilots have available. Great idea.

I was installing an automation system once and tying my no flo switch to it. I had all of my breakers off when I thought, "why am I working in this crappy light" and turned my lamp on not thinking about everything else being off. It was about 20 minutes later that I realized what i had done and flipped the rest of the breakers. Big mistake! Cold water and hot glass.... I figured misery loves company......

lol, true LOT. true.

Thanks Budly, i'm not sure my misery loves company, but it's good to know even the other guys at the top make the same mistakes I do, and it's not just my dumb butt.

glad to know ya'll are around watching this grow.

I checked my res today, and there was a ton of white clumps floating in the water. . . looked like custard. . .

I think it was the combination of a ton of carboload and the bacteria and fungus. . . so I emptied the res, refilled it with less carboload and no bene's. . . I'll see how it responds, and adjust accordingly.

The plants weren't telling me they needed a change, but i could see the clumps clogging up the pumps a little, so better safe than sorry.

Keep a checklist on a clipboard by the door. Sign it, check it off or whatever you need to do it will help. Stoner's need visuals and not just form being HIGH either..:rofl:

Sh*t happens to us all. We all end up in that same position some time. Anyone who says they haven't messed something up in their grow room is full of well....or they haven't been around long enough.

Like the "clumps" you know to change out the rez. Wouldn't know to do that if you hadn't had the issues you did in the past. So I say good job to you..

Hey thanks for that DIY chiller. I have looked into it before and I know it works great but it wont work for me because I for one do not want the a/c unit running in the same room as my grow and I can not stick it out the window because it will invite people to come a steal it. LOL.

Will a 1/4 chiller be enough to chill a 55g resv and remove the heat from two 1000w lights and be able to cool the room?
I was looking at this one ECOPLUS 1/4 HP WATER CHILLER 170 GAL AQUARIUM - eBay (item 400096954201 end time Jun-10-10 17:hmmmm:18 PDT)

God I would hate having to buy a 1/2hp unit. so so $$$$$.

Also I have never worked with a water cooled system at all. Will having a resev sitting at 65 degrees condensate all over the place? How do you get around that problem? Put the the resev inside the grow area? I plan on keeping my temps 80s because of Co2. What would you do?

Aquarium chillers vent heat into the room as well, you'll have to vent the heat out of either one.

Hey thanks for that DIY chiller. I have looked into it before and I know it works great but it wont work for me because I for one do not want the a/c unit running in the same room as my grow and I can not stick it out the window because it will invite people to come a steal it. LOL.

Will a 1/4 chiller be enough to chill a 55g resv and remove the heat from two 1000w lights and be able to cool the room?
I was looking at this one ECOPLUS 1/4 HP WATER CHILLER 170 GAL AQUARIUM - eBay (item 400096954201 end time Jun-10-10 17:hmmmm:18 PDT)

God I would hate having to buy a 1/2hp unit. so so $$$$$.

Also I have never worked with a water cooled system at all. Will having a resev sitting at 65 degrees condensate all over the place? How do you get around that problem? Put the the resev inside the grow area? I plan on keeping my temps 80s because of Co2. What would you do?

Not to mention they draw high current and use a lot of watts. I love the free A/C mother nature gives us in the winter.

Aquarium chillers vent heat into the room as well, you'll have to vent the heat out of either one.

I know so I thought I'd just stick the chiller out side the room since I can adjust the length of hose. I probably will need to insulate it so it does not condensate all over the place like a dirty chicken rag. I am just not sure if that 1/4hp chiller will be able to handle the job of all that badass heat. Plus the chiller will be on a nice cool concrete floor, a nice some what natural heat exchanger...lol.

I know they draw some decent current but I doubt if it is anymore then a standard window unit. I mean a chiller btu is the same as a window unit btu just like a led watt is the same as a HID watt. 5000btu will require the same amount despite the application it is used for.

Here is the beginning. . .

Lets Run Down The equipment.

Room:
4x8 tent. . . . hacked up a bit, but holding strong.

Illumination:
1 kw dimmable quantum ballast
1 kw HPS enhanced spectrum bulb 140,000 lm
Fresca Sol Watercooled jacket.
55 Gal Drum of water with couple drops of bleach.
HydroFarm 6' cheapo light mover

Hydro System(s):
CAP Ebb N Gro system w/23 pots and SureToGrow Deluge Inserts.
Custom Aero stadium.

Miscellaneous:
150 watt micro-chiller to help the reservoir
Aqua marine PINPOINT pH controller w/peristaltic pump
Tri-Meter (pH, EC, *F)
Air Pump and stones
millions of dollars worth of pumps hoses timers elbows T's power strips etc etc etc etc

Nutes:
Revised AN Connoisseur Line.

Hey man wondering how well that PH meter works for you? I was looking to get this guy here: SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Automatic Digital pH Controller What do you think?

Keep a checklist on a clipboard by the door. Sign it, check it off or whatever you need to do it will help. Stoner's need visuals and not just form being HIGH either..:rofl:

Sh*t happens to us all. We all end up in that same position some time. Anyone who says they haven't messed something up in their grow room is full of well....or they haven't been around long enough.

Like the "clumps" you know to change out the rez. Wouldn't know to do that if you hadn't had the issues you did in the past. So I say good job to you..

thanks bro. . . when in doubt, change the res.

yeah very true. . . that why i like the window ac in the window option. genius. I always knew copper was bendable, just never struck me to do that.

Not to mention they draw high current and use a lot of watts. I love the free A/C mother nature gives us in the winter.

me too, but what do we do in the summertime? stop growing? ha! gotta deal with somehow. right now all of my cooling amounts to about 30 watts for the pump. everything else is passive.

I know so I thought I'd just stick the chiller out side the room since I can adjust the length of hose. I probably will need to insulate it so it does not condensate all over the place like a dirty chicken rag. I am just not sure if that 1/4hp chiller will be able to handle the job of all that badass heat. Plus the chiller will be on a nice cool concrete floor, a nice some what natural heat exchanger...lol.

I know they draw some decent current but I doubt if it is anymore then a standard window unit. I mean a chiller btu is the same as a window unit btu just like a led watt is the same as a HID watt. 5000btu will require the same amount despite the application it is used for.

if you can put it into another room, and at least have some air movement in that room that would be a great option.

The fresca site says that you should try to keep your res a couple degrees warmer than whatever the dew point is, and you won't get any condensate. if you go too cold, the biggest problem would be the dripping on your plants, not sweat off the res. . . just dont keep it so cold. any 1/4 hp chiller will have digital temp control. just find out the dew point from the weather and add a couple degrees and youll be safe.

the fresca website also says: You can put two 1000w on a ¼ HP chiller with a 40 gallon reservoir. For three 1000w on a ¼ HP chiller you will need a 100 gallon reservoir.

I would still go 50 gal and 1/4 hp chiller for 2. make it easier on the chiller.

Hey man wondering how well that PH meter works for you? I was looking to get this guy here: SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Automatic Digital pH Controller What do you think?

the meter or the controller? I have two to be redundant. . . from the link I guess you mean controller. . . one of my favorite purchases!!

that controller looks fine to me, but i can only speak reliably about the one I own. "American Marine Pinpoint pH Controller" if you google it it will come up. it's $20 more. . . but I can say that it works perfectly. I could not imagine being able to be as rock steady on my pH by hand. the second my res hits 6.20, not 6.19, 6.20 exactly, it doses down to pH 5.4x-5.5 where x is a random number.

a couple things to note. to make this work as a doser and not just a meter, you have to buy a pump or a solenoid to control the dosing. I bought a parastaltic pump for $100 because it works better and looks cooler.

the first thing i learned was to get a larger dosing "tank", for instance i'm using a 1 gal Arizona Ice Tea bottle. Then put an ounce or so of pH down and top it off with water. . . this will increase the accuracy it can dose to by 50 fold. very very useful to know.

another thing i learned was that there is always some drift under where you set it. for instance, i have mine to dose at 6.2-> down to 5.6, but because of the short delay due to some currents in the res it could get down to 5.5 or 5.46 or .47 or so. in 6 weeks I haven't ever seen it drift more than .15 or less than .05, so .1 is an easily manageable lower limit.

good luck bro.

thanks bro. . . when in doubt, change the res.

The fresca site says that you should try to keep your res a couple degrees warmer than whatever the dew point is, and you won't get any condensate. if you go too cold, the biggest problem would be the dripping on your plants, not sweat off the res. . . just dont keep it so cold. any 1/4 hp chiller will have digital temp control. just find out the dew point from the weather and add a couple degrees and youll be safe.

the fresca website also says: You can put two 1000w on a ¼ HP chiller with a 40 gallon reservoir. For three 1000w on a ¼ HP chiller you will need a 100 gallon reservoir.

I would still go 50 gal and 1/4 hp chiller for 2. make it easier on the chiller.

I have found 10 degrees cooler than my desired room temp works great. So I run at 65.

I don't trust the fresca sites numbers. they say you can run a 1k on a 100 gal w/o chiller. That wouldn't work for me in the winter. Plus my pump manual specifically states not for fluids above 85 degrees.
I'll never forget the first night I ran mine and it brought 100 gallons up to 104 degrees overnight. I could get it down do 95 with the lid open and a fan on it but I lost a lot of water everyday. Room temps were still very good and I was happy with it until I started looking into what causes pumps to fail.....

I have found 10 degrees cooler than my desired room temp works great. So I run at 65.

I don't trust the fresca sites numbers. they say you can run a 1k on a 100 gal w/o chiller. That wouldn't work for me in the winter. Plus my pump manual specifically states not for fluids above 85 degrees.
I'll never forget the first night I ran mine and it brought 100 gallons up to 104 degrees overnight. I could get it down do 95 with the lid open and a fan on it but I lost a lot of water everyday. Room temps were still very good and I was happy with it until I started looking into what causes pumps to fail.....

Thanks for the advice bro, its always nice to have as much good info (esp. working knowledge) as possible to supplement manufacturer recommendations. . . we all know how much the environment plays a part in individuality of circumstances.

The site i get the fresca info from says a 1k per 50 gal res no additional cooling. That's how I have it set up now, and it works fine, but I think I might have to come up with a plan for the summer. it is gonna average 10 or so degrees warmer than now in a month.

Gonna give you diy tech a try. . . maybe when this grow is done, but maybe before then if it becomes necessary. . . the big problem for me is finding a circuit with juice left to run it on.

wanna see something?

HHOOOOLLLLYYYYYYY SSSSHHHHHIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day-7-Flower-1.JPG

Day-7-Flower-2.JPG

Day-7-Flower-3.JPG

and i have been slacking on the pics.

Still stretching, but still at an inch a day. i am going to let them go more and see if i can get by w/o using the bushmaster, but i will if i need to.

I had to change the res out a few days ago, so I'm not changing it again right now. just gonna kick the nutes up to week 2 numbers.

k, here they are DAY 8 FLOWER:

its like a jungle in there baby,

Day-7-Flower-4.JPG

Day-7-Flower-5.JPG

Day-7-Flower-6.JPG

still going strong at an inch a day:

Day-7-Flower-7.JPG

a random aero, showing some good new growth.

Day-7-Flower-8.JPG

lets look at A29's roots:

Day-7-Flower-9.JPG

looking good, grew a lot, but not sure what the bit of black crap is? hope not something too bad.

Day-7-Flower-10.JPG

The name fits. That thing looks ((((bomb))).

i wish i could show the girth better, but she is phat. your very right ((((bomb)))) diggity.

expand your mind. feed your soul.

hey butch, what do you think the black shit is on the roots?

sure hope it doesn't turn into a pest.

Back
Top Bottom