Rabbit's Big Leap - High Brix With Doc's Kit

The Nevermind update

That thing I hinted about in last post turned out not to be the case after all.
I thought that I had a low extraction from the Med Mass. I had checked the pan in the evaporator and it didn't look like I got much oil, less than 10 grams when I was expecting much more from 5 oz. of buds. I spent the day thinking I'd done something terribly wrong.

It turns out I got 16 grams or 3 grams per oz. I was expecting close to 4 gr/oz, but this oil is much cleaner and flows (very slowly) unlike a lot of my other batches. I think better quality is a good trade off for slightly less quantity. :)
20170427_184021.jpg

And there's about a gram left in the pan. No point in trying scrape up the last bit. It'll just become part of the next batch.
20170427_184224.jpg

The Nevermind update

That thing I hinted about in last post turned out not to be the case after all.
I thought that I had a low extraction from the Med Mass. I had checked the pan in the evaporator and it didn't look like I got much oil, less than 10 grams when I was expecting much more from 5 oz. of buds. I spent the day thinking I'd done something terribly wrong.

It turns out I got 16 grams or 3 grams per oz. I was expecting close to 4 gr/oz, but this oil is much cleaner and flows (very slowly) unlike a lot of my other batches. I think better quality is a good trade off for slightly less quantity. :)
20170427_184021.jpg

Nice looking :cco:

Good glass container - like you've done this before :)

Nice looking :cco:

Good glass container - like you've done this before :)

It's a 400 ml oven safe container with air tight lid. Only $2.50 at Daiso, a Japanese version of the Dollar Store. I wanted something I could decarb in or just let decarb naturally for up to a year or more. And they're a lot easier to store. I should probably put dates on them. It occurred to me that I may find one of these containers when I'm cleaning out cupboards 5 years from now. There have been precedents. :)

Final Weigh-Ins

Medical Mass #2: Lower yield than MdM1, still 4+ oz. Odor isn't as strong, but I like it better. Same basic old wood smell as MdM1, but the underlying scent is sharper and more complex. That may be due to longer drying time allowing scent to develop. I only have 1 bud from MdM1 left so it's nice to have some more on hand for vaping. I like the effects so I will probably be using my vape pen more often.
20170430_091255.jpg

Dance World: I had an extra gram I quick dried for testing, so actually 142 grams, but still just shy of 5 oz. (Hey, I'm a numbers guy so little things like that matter.) I like the smell of this one the best. Hard to describe other than a balanced mix of everything I like. Buds are not as solid as others, top buds come close. A lot of the weight came from lower buds so definitely not too airy.
20170430_092957.jpg

And the Final Tally

Total yield 24 oz. in 20 sq.ft. I had individual plants beat 1 oz./sq.ft. goal but never had a full grow even come close. :slide: 370 gr/sq.ft. leaves a little room for improvement on future grows, but not any time soon because I am fully stocked! :slide::):slide::cco:

Some of that credit goes to Doc Bud, some to me for remembering to water on time. :laughtwo: BCS definitely smells stronger and is stickier than prior runs, so much more improvement than just yield.

I have a few vape reports to post and then I will be done here. Thanks for following. :thanks:

Nice Job Mr. Rabbit. When should I expect the next journal? Please drop the link in my journal when you get it!

I started a new one yesterday if you didn't catch it. Ase's new journal!

Looking forward to the future and your continual improvements on growing. Anxious to see the next round for you!

I think I'm going to take a break from journaling for a while. It takes a lot of time away from other things I want to do. For one, I'd like to focus on medical threads and maybe even start the one I promised to several times.

I'm also going to scale back my garden, which is something I never thought I'd do. I've been so focused on getting more and more yield to meet my needs that I missed a crucial point. At the beginning of this grow I had about 2/3 of supply I would need for another 60 gram/60 days treatment. After bagging everything up I looked at my stash and thought, "Holy Crap!" I only need 5-6 grams of oil for my maintenance doses, so I calculated that I have over a year's worth on hand. I'm at the legal limit and I don't want the liability of having even more. Unless I can give away my current excess I need to stop for a while, or at most grow to just keep up with usage.

The ones I have going now started flowering on accident. I may keep the 2 Dance Worlds for CBD but I think the others are going to become juice.

However, at some point in the future I will resurrect my Hexoflux (i.e. HB10 from the beginning of this journal) style and focus on producing a POTM winner.:morenutes:

For now I'm off to do more testing. :volcano-smiley: Work, work, work! :rofl:
:Namaste:

The Sign from G-D update

This flower pot has been sitting outside all winter. I didn't touch it once. Last weekend I noticed a sprout with 2 jagged leaves and thought it was one of the mints I grew last year. This evening I walked by and did a double take. Definitely not mint. A sign from God? Meh. But a sign none the less. I'll take it. Time to start planning another ( very small) grow. :Namaste:
20170505_185031.jpg

Hah! Shades of Michael Corleone, eh? :laugh: "They pull me back in!" :laugh:

Hey, it's always been my contention that the stuff just ... grows. Who are we to intervene and judge - right? :slide:

Besides, it's a fun hobby for an old man.

The Sign from G-D update

This flower pot has been sitting outside all winter. I didn't touch it once. Last weekend I noticed a sprout with 2 jagged leaves and thought it was one of the mints I grew last year. This evening I walked by and did a double take. Definitely not mint. A sign from God? Meh. But a sign none the less. I'll take it. Time to start planning another ( very small) grow. :Namaste:
20170505_185031.jpg

Bongratulations on your landrace - or should I say potrace - volunteer :cheer:

:welcome: little seedling.

Bongratulations on your landrace - or should I say potrace - volunteer :cheer:

:welcome: little seedling.

I think I may need a few generations before I call this a landrace, but it's definitely cold hardy for my region. Father has to be Hash Bomb, which survived 2 snows before we had a hard freeze. Mother is probably Skunk #1 that I left outside to reveg, never did reveg but I got a few seeds off her. Apparently I missed one. :laughtwo:

WOOHOO! The rabbit never falls far from the tree...okay, there is something clever in those non-sensical words, I promise. If you only do 2 plants a journal, you could call it a hobby. Just sayin' ;)

That's because we rabbits don't climb, we dig under the tree (where we have our LED garden :))!

Hah! Shades of Michael Corleone, eh? :laugh: "They pull me back in!" :laugh:

Hey, it's always been my contention that the stuff just ... grows. Who are we to intervene and judge - right? :slide:

Besides, it's a fun hobby for an old man.

This one's a double pull, telling me not only to grow again but to grow outside again even after last summer's frustrations. Resistance is futile! I've been assimilated! :rofl:

The I'm not really journaling this grow update

Three of the seven rogue bloomers are gone to the juicer. The White Widows had mites and given their relatively poor health to begin with just were worth the trouble of another fight. One of the BCS had spots of PM, so I pulled the offending leaves and juiced the rest.

Dance World duo have decent stretch and look like 2 weeks into flower. I'm really tempted to check to see how much the roots have grown since transplanting from 1 gal to 4 gal. Next time soil is dry I may try sliding one out just enough to peek. I doubt I'll have an actual root ball but it'd be nice to see roots reaching the edge of pot. It would be even nicer if they could get all the nutrients they need from the extra 3 gal of soil without any feedings because I'm out of bottled nutes and really don't want to buy any more.
20170508_190158.jpg
20170508_190220.jpg

Black Cherry Soda, still the most fragrant by far, and much further into bloom than I thought, at least 4 weeks. With only 4 weeks left I almost held on to the other one in spite of PM, but I'm not as dumb as I sometimes look.
20170508_190717.jpg
20170508_190700.jpg

Hash Bomb, just getting started in flower. Makes me think I could have kept her in veg. Too late now.
20170508_190927.jpg
20170508_201237.jpg

And that's my non-journal entry for tonight. Time to test some of the Blue Mystic. :) Vape report... eventually, but if it goes as expected definitely not tonight.

Vape Report - Blue Mystic

One of the problems with my vaporizer is that the first round mostly draws the monoterpenes and not much cannabinoids. They don't start to hit until the second round. Also, it only holds 1/4 -1/3 gram, which is enough for testing and microdosing but is mildly annoying for recreational use. It would be a lot more relaxing if I could just take a hit and be done. Instant gratification is all I'm asking for. ;)

The scent has changed from slightly blueberry-ish to more earthy sweetness like tea with fruit essence that doesn't taste much like the fruit pictured on the box but still tastes good. As expected first round produced very little buzz, like my body saw me going through the motions and was pretending to be slightly buzzed but wasn't really. Some strains have a noticeable effect on first round, this one had me worried I had grown a dud. I gave it about 15 min but still not much. Second round was better. Head high started quickly, at first stimulating then turning into euphoria that at this small dose I could easily keep working on my evening task making more bio bombs. No risk of couch lock even when I was lying in bed. Body buzz was weak, making the overall experience out of balance from what I like. Not the strain for me, but will make some good oil, which is what I really grew it for anyway.

More Signs from the Universe update

This is actually a really good and compelling reason to keep going with my current grow that isn't a grow but now really is. Sue has been discussing Psycro's fresh herb oil for a while. I've been intrigued and meaning to try it, but her latest post seals the deal.
SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall
I need fresh herb for this, so now I really do need to keep growing. The BCS is only about 4 weeks from maturity, but it's the Dance Worlds that I really want to try this with, about 6 weeks to go.

More Signs from the Universe update

This is actually a really good and compelling reason to keep going with my current grow that isn't a grow but now really is. Sue has been discussing Psycro's fresh herb oil for a while. I've been intrigued and meaning to try it, but her latest post seals the deal.
SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall
I need fresh herb for this, so now I really do need to keep growing. The BCS is only about 4 weeks from maturity, but it's the Dance Worlds that I really want to try this with, about 6 weeks to go.

KR, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this. My thought beyond this is that drying low and slow to make a batch of oil would give the same effect. That'd give two good processes for creating valuable medicinal oils with a broader entourage. I don't know about you, but this got me really excited. The possibility to make an infused oil that rivals the expensive CCO. :yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom