Rabbit's Big Leap - High Brix With Doc's Kit

Dirty Secrets update

Mixing up some new soil. Not Doc's kit, a little more home grown. Equal parts rabbit manure and recycled soil with 6 pounds of coffee grounds. After 24 hours temp was up to 100 degrees in center, literally too hot for plants right now. Rabbit manure is considered a cold manure that won't burn plants. Its high fiber content releases the nitrogen slowly. But this is mixed with a lot of urine so I'll probably need to cut it again with more soil.
I'm not planning to replace doc's kit. Just running a little experiment with the girls that have been in long term veg. Ladybugs seem to be doing well against mites, but I want to be completely mite free before next run on the kit. That means clearing out what I have by either tossing them out or having a little fun. So of course I'm doing what any good junior scientist would do with the doo doo. :)
:Namaste:
20170416_173050.jpg

Blue Mystic, et al.

I remove the cage from BM today, nearly had to cut it off. Her buds have grown fatter than the 2"x3" holes in screen. She has easily passed MdM#1 in size and frostiness. After I starved her early in veg and lost a lot of leaves (to the point of thinking this would be a salvage harvest) she has not only held on to few she had left but thrived in final weeks. Still disappointed that she's not showing color (human nature). But I'm really impressed with her finish, except she's not quite done yet. All trichs still clear.
Only concern right now is that I found a couple small spots of powdery mildew. I removed the infected leaves and hope that takes care of it for 1 or 2 weeks left. If I have to harvest early it will still be a good one. Looking for greatness from this one.
20170416_180738.jpg

And the others. MdM#1 on left seems to have stalled size wise but has gotten noticeably denser in last 2 weeks. Leaves are yellowing like a normal finish. Also starting to push out new white pistils again, not sure what that's about. MdM#2 (edge of her on front left) still has scrawny buds but they are getting hard like #1.
Dance World on right is as green as ever, still fattening with white pistils but not nearly as dense. She was advertised as 8 week strain, not believing that one bit. She's happy and healthy so I have no problem giving her 10 weeks or more if she needs it.
20170416_180908.jpg

The Quote-Unquote Veg Room Update

Checked on the vegging girls last night. See if you can find something that doesn't belong.
20170418_185313.jpg

Several of larger plants have started to bloom. Checked the timer and it was set to 14 hours. Been that way for months as far as I know. Thankfully the smaller clones still appear to be in veg mode. I'll move the still vegging girls to another room and let the ones in bloom keep going. Awkward timing because I need to harvest and scrub the bloom tent. But it does solve problem of how to train plants that are already several feet tall. Next round is going to be a natural style grow.

What would cause them to flower KR? I'm confused.

Hey.... the BM isn't done yet, and my first DDA didn't change until the final week. I'm pulling for a color shift in the next week. Impressive bulking up there KR. I know as crazy as it must have been removing the screen you had to be smiling the entire time thinking about all that oil. :cheesygrinsmiley:

You do know about using hydrogen peroxide in a first wash when you harvest to counteract any residual powdery mildew? Question: I realize that a professional oiler couldn't use any plant material with PM in it, but wouldn't the processing to oil kill any mildew spores? I processed my last harvest with mites because I knew it was just for my daughter and I and there's no difference in my mind eating mites than there is eating chicken or eggs. I'd think mildew would be a different story, but it still occurs to me that somewhere in the processing, beyond the wash, there should be adequate heat to kill unwanted mildew.

PM Update

I removed cages from rest of plants last night and glad I did. I found more PM spreading. They all had some and plucking leaves isn't going to get rid of it. They are all at 8 weeks bloom counting from first pistils, 9 weeks from flip, so no regrets about an early harvest except for Dance World that I think could have gone 2 more weeks. They are ready now, harvesting has begun.

MdM#1 is hit hardest. Some of that is frost, some definitely isn't. The others just have a few spots like this. She has several colas with PM all along them. Hydrogen peroxide wash will take care of it, but if I had waited to this weekend it would have been really bad.
20170418_185838.jpg

Back to the good news. This is best example of new style of training. She has only has 4 branches because that's all she needed to fill canopy. She'll be the model for next planned grow.
20170418_185958.jpg

Leaves yellowing at just the right time showing she really is ready for harvest.
20170418_185939.jpg

And very dense buds. No longer the largest or even densest but I'm very happy with them.
20170418_185924.jpg

Blue Mystic, not even a little bit blue. Okay, I'm over that disappointment and on to things that matter, like size, density and frost.
20170418_185631.jpg

20170418_185659.jpg

Ironic that I spent most of grow worrying that this one would hold onto enough leaves to finish. After fan leaves removed this one looks like she may set another record for me.
20170418_191847.jpg

I'll harvest the other 2 tonight and wash with peroxide in addition to normal bud wash.
Final note, I didn't notice the smell of these ones while BCS was still in the tent, but carrying them upstairs the smell made me a little dizzy. Affected my wife too so had to take them back to basement to finish harvesting. Happy times. :)

Reps for the harvest and finding the PM before it destroyed the crop. :high-five: It made me giggle to read that the terpenes are that strong. Hehe!

Now that you mention it, I do Rad. :battingeyelashes:

The too-tired-to-upload-photos update

3 more hours of trimming and washing. 3 plants hanging, lying on racks, or in the dehydrator. Medical Mass #1 was by far the worst hit. PM was on every part of plant. Even with peroxide wash I didn't want to take any chance that mildew would keep growing so using the food dehydrator (without heat) to get moisture level down as quickly as possible. MdM2 and Blue Mystic had very limited infestation. Made me think I could have sprayed the spots and kept growing another week or two. I may try that with Dance World still sitting in tent.

Had to do the work in the basement because my wife reacted to PM. From what I've read it's not toxic but can trigger allergies and respiratory problems for some people.

Bunnies were at edge of cage drooling and rattling the bars the whole time.

Fire bad. Tree pretty. Good night. :Namaste:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I'm talking about Medical Mass #2. No reason she can't be all three.

The Good. Some of the larger colas actually did fill in even though they didn't swell like MdM1. So she's done better than I've been giving her credit for.
20170419_204351.jpg

The Bad. Too many limbs. It took me at least twice as long to remove leaves from her as the two others. Hard to see, hard to pull off because smaller leaves on floppy stems, hard to tell difference between fan leaves and sugar leaves sometimes. Really annoying. Lesson learned: train fewer stronger limbs, but you knew that already.
20170419_204325.jpg

The Ugly. Top view shows just how floppy those stems are. Some may see a dynamic flow aesthetic going on. I see a tangled mess. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for what she's produced. It's just that my perfectionist streak is kicking back into gear the more I heal, and I'm feeling kind of judgmental. Maybe I should be the ugly one! :Namaste:
20170419_204254.jpg

These 2-3 ounces are hard to trim --- boo hoo. I say nice nugs Mr. " I'm used to growing perfect plants."

But I do want to acknowledge and validate your feelings, Did you bring your parking stub?

Fair enough. Feelings validated. Now I'm off to find some cheese to go with my whine. ;)

:laughtwo: You guys......,

Congrats on getting the harvest in. I spent all day yesterday harvesting and processing into oil. Had to keep reminding myself this started as a hobby. Ha!

Lessons learned from this one. To what do we attribute the PM?

:laughtwo: You guys......,

Congrats on getting the harvest in. I spent all day yesterday harvesting and processing into oil. Had to keep reminding myself this started as a hobby. Ha!

Lessons learned from this one. To what do we attribute the PM?

I have no idea where PM came from. There was time last fall when I was still bringing plants in from outside that I could have expected it, but haven't seen any until now. Humidity was rarely above 50%, was below 30% for a while. Maybe that's why it didn't show up earlier.

This is worst part of infection. Hard to see all of it. Clearest on bottom half of left cola but all three had it all the way up one side. I sprayed it directly with hydrogen peroxide and then washed buds in peroxide solution plus normal wash. No sign of it in dried buds or buds still drying.
20170419_212213.jpg

Back
Top Bottom