Retirement right around the corner

I am thinking about a budget in the 400-600 dollar range should give me a great start with everything I need. Based on comments already, I think that I’ll up my tent size to the 3x3’ range, because knowing me, I’ll be looking to expand so might as well get that out of the way now. Keep the information coming please!
Then as Bill said (who's a highly experienced grower), go with the 4x4. I bought one, and my biggest regret is that I didn't go with the 4x8. The extra space is nice, and while it can be packed with plants, that's up to you. My last run I did 3 autos in a 4x4 and thanks to the extra space of not doing the planned 4, I was able to put an AC & dehumidifier right inside the tent. Took a lot of stress away in high heat and humid weather.
Give @Mars Hydro a good look as well as @ViparSpectra, both have some good tent packages. Both are also sponsors here so feel free to link to any of their products or ask.

Are you handy with building your own stuff? If so, I'd give a diy rdwc or flood and drain systems a good look. There's some great plans for both on here, fairly simple setups. That being said, if you'd like to do a DWC @Tokin Roll did a great journal on one, and I think @West Hippie has done all of them

If any of the terminology or anything seems like too much to fast, feel free to ask or say anything.

Whenever you start a journal feel free to tag me using "@" in front of my name (or anytime you need to grab my attention...it wanders :rofl: ).

Oh and the mods here are top notch, and it's considered a highly welcoming place, if you see anyone trolling, don't feed them, just report it.

I love autos no matter what !here some smoke from last autos glueberry an nl

354849A8-2490-4036-8694-A29D5C9D7A73.jpeg

N here is my purple lemonade auto few runs back so autos Rock just can’t mess up early with em so they can get big !!

I’ll go simple n run coco as big fab pot u can fit in ur spot a good ph and ppm pen an ur in the game I’ve grown massive plants in coco also promix with up to ten feeding per day in my flood table but I’m sure u will do amazing

Welcome to 420 Mag ! I've heard some pretty good info here. I just wonder why Auggie doesn't like Auto's. He may have his own reason; but nobody asked him that.
I'm not a big fan of Auto's either. But once in a while I still grow one. My reason is because I like to control how big the plant gets. You can only do so much with an Auto before it's life cycle ends. The other thing I like better about Photo's is I can grow an Auto White Widow & a Photo White Widow & the photo will produce better weed. Seems most people yield 4-6 oz. off Auto's & double those numbers on a photo. So photo's are better for me. But Auto's can come in handy for some quick weed. At the same time I could do a SOG grow with photo's & have a quick grow also. So with photo's there are advantages that you don't get with Auto's.
As far as DWC. Listen to who said to do RDWC. Regular DWC is a PITA. I ran 3 - 5 gallon DWC Buckets for 1 grow & said never again. Too much work involved. Constantly checking pH, Water Temp & Level, EC or ppm, etc. You have to keep things dialed in pretty darn good to have a good grow. For me to ever do DWC again everything would have to be Automated with a Water Chiller.
If you're considering growing in Coco it isn't too bad if you do 5 plants or less (when hand watering). Any more than that & you'll want Auto Pots or a drip system. You feed Coco twice per day with nutes & never straight water. Feeding a few by hand isn't real bad. But when you grow 10 at a time like I did it's a hell of a lot of work & takes up a lot of time.
IMO, since you are new to growing you should go the easiest route for your 1st grow. That would be Soil with a 1 part nutrient like Mega Crop or a 2 part like Geo Flora. It will give you a chance to learn what a plant needs when it acts certain ways. Soil is way more forgiving when it comes to making mistakes. Make a mistake in DWC & don't catch it right away & it could spell doom. Since you don't know right away when something is wrong.... I suggest soil for a grow or two till you get a handle on things.

Great info! For me, starting with autoflower and hydro will allow me to get my feet wet so to speak. In my home, going hydro will be a good way for me to roll, especially with regard to the soil situation and changing it out will be more for me than swapping water as needed. I know that I’m not going to nail it the first time but hopefully I’ve come to the right place for advice. Thanks

Great info! For me, starting with autoflower and hydro will allow me to get my feet wet so to speak. In my home, going hydro will be a good way for me to roll, especially with regard to the soil situation and changing it out will be more for me than swapping water as needed. I know that I’m not going to nail it the first time but hopefully I’ve come to the right place for advice. Thanks
Good Luck ! Hope you do well. It would have been over my head for a 1st grow & I'm sure things wouldn't have done very well. I say that because I didn't even do very well in soil on my 1st grow & Hydro is more advanced than soil. But that's me. I'm a lazy grower & I have the most leeway using soil. Just makes life easier.
Hydro will produce a little bigger yield in less time if you can get things dialed in. I just don't want to put that much effort into it since I do well enough already. Party On my friend. I'm out of here since I'm not a Hydro Grower & can't really be of much help.

Welcome to 420 @Wheresjerry! :welcome:

Well, folks here sure have given you a lot to think about! And so it's true that opinions are like assholes, everybody has one! :laughtwo:

There's no use in me trying to be any different, so here is my 2 cents.

Don't get a 2x anything tent. You'll outgrow it so quickly it will make your head spin. I agree with @Bill284 that a 4x4 is a good starting point. If not that, then at least a 3x3. And get one that's at least 6 feet tall if you can. Eventually, you will need that height. This is from a man who bought a 2x2 tent that is only 4 feet tall, and who regrets that purchase every day.

When I did my first grow it was also autos in DWC. It was labor intensive and yes, you really have to stay on top of things on the daily. But growing autos in DWC can yield some great results if you do it right. And there are quite a few folks here that can help you get through it if that is what you choose to do.

Soil is much less labor intensive and much more forgiving than DWC (and usually a lot less expensive). But you'll find that out for yourself if/when you ever decide to give it a try.

Finally, do what you need to do to enjoy yourself. If you enjoy doing it, you're more likely to nail it!

Happy Growing! :Rasta:

Awesome to hear! We'll help get you sorted, it can be hard not to impulse buy when looking over stuff, especially nutes. Listen to the folks here, not the local hydro store.
As has been mentioned, Prescription Blend has some nutes that supposedly works great from what I've seen (since they won't ship to Canada I can't say anything other then what I've read on here). Personally my fall back has been General Hydroponics flora Nova duo. You could do the whole grow on the Flora Nova Bloom alone (plus cal mag), but to keep things less complicated I'd get both (veg + bloom). That being said, if there's another nute line up that had your curiosity, let us know! Cal mag will be a supplement that you need, try to find one thats a 1-0-0 or if you can score some thats a 0-0-0 that'd be awesome.
PH pen and TDS pen (if you can swing it, spend a few extra here...the cheap $20 ones will get you by, but they don't last).

ill take your advise on the nutrients and go with your flora nova recommendation .......based on using 5 gallon buckets, how much of each should carry me through to end? Quarts? Gallon? Thanks for your help

ill take your advise on the nutrients and go with your flora nova recommendation .......based on using 5 gallon buckets, how much of each should carry me through to end? Quarts? Gallon? Thanks for your help
Don't rush it just yet- others may give better advice. But to answer your question, 1 quart bottles will do a grow. When it comes to nutes, the reality is most are somewhat similar and being comfortable with what you're using is important. My first grow was based upon "the Lucas formula " which is a cheap way of doing it. GH (general hydroponics) was what I used (maxibloom and other GH products). Thus it's a comfortable fall back for me.
My biggest disclaimer- I'm no pro, I've just done it a few times with the help of people on here. That being said, I'll give you a 100% effort to help and tell you my experiences.

At one point you'll have to decide to go sterile (using H202) or use beneficial bacteria (hydroguard or Orca or some such). You can't do both, I'm just finishing up my 1st run using beneficial bacteria, and I liked it. It was more expensive then using H2O2 however.
If you go H2O2, you local hydro store should have some for you (food grade stuff, use thick gloves). Even running beneficial, I kept a bottle of h202 in case of emergency.

Good call on the GH recommendation @Rexer!:thumb: I've been using their Floranova Grow & Bloom products for years and with no problems of any deficiencies in my plants whatsoever. I also add 10mm of Liquid Karma & 5mm of Terpinator per gallon just for good measure and I'm off to the races.;)

Back
Top Bottom