Rosin Press: Information Thread

This is looking more and more attractive by the moment Shiggity. Solvetless rosin. From a medicinal standpoint that's a good thing.

Can this be decarbed after the fact, or can one decarb and then press? if I'm vaping or using a water pipe this is fine. If I want to make capsules or suppositories to treat serious illness like cancer the oil needs to be high in THC.

The costs I'm seeing here so far are reasonable, given the rediculous prices of the ethanol solvents and the difficulty in securing the higher proof ones in a state that strictly controls their sale. The press would pay for itself in no time. I have vacation plans to fund first, but when that's taken care of I think this should be my next sizable purchase.

This is looking more and more attractive by the moment Shiggity. Solvetless rosin. From a medicinal standpoint that's a good thing.

Can this be decarbed after the fact, or can one decarb and then press? if I'm vaping or using a water pipe this is fine. If I want to make capsules or suppositories to treat serious illness like cancer the oil needs to be high in THC.

The costs I'm seeing here so far are reasonable, given the rediculous prices of the ethanol solvents and the difficulty in securing the higher proof ones in a state that strictly controls their sale. The press would pay for itself in no time. I have vacation plans to fund first, but when that's taken care of I think this should be my next sizable purchase.

What one could do is make a first press and use that for vaping etc. The buds themselves become thin chips. Yu could avoid a second press and have plenty of flat buds to decarb and make other meds with.

If you make bubble hash, would you still need the same amount of pressure? :peace:

No you don't need as much pressure for bubble in my opinion. What's key is applying lower heat and pressure slowly to allow the bubble to melt down into rosin without burning it up. The yields with bubble are crazy and you can press all diff micron sizes of it. The finer sifted bubble will melt into a wonderful golden color. If your pressing full spectrum you will see a combination of dark and light gold. It's really amazing to watch.

No you don't need as much pressure for bubble in my opinion. What's key is applying lower heat and pressure slowly to allow the bubble to melt down into rosin without burning it up. The yields with bubble are crazy and you can press all diff micron sizes of it. The finer sifted bubble will melt into a wonderful golden color. If your pressing full spectrum you will see a combination of dark and light gold. It's really amazing to watch.

So this would probably be a better option when using a hair straightener. Just need to try to adjust the temps. :peace:

When I get to doing it, I will definitely post pics. I need to get some bubble bags first. :) :peace:

Hmmm, I've not even thought about pressing hash with the hair iron, only tried buds.
Does that work really well?
I'm afraid to waste a few grams of hash. Honestly, my yield from the hair iron was so very low, I didn't think it any further.

Bubble Bags - My favorite method. Dependent upon the quantity processed (I grow for only myself and better half), I found the 1 gallon bags to be the most efficient for me (5 gallon bags work the heck out of my aging body). Just offering off topic ... the 1 gallon bags are very cheap if you don't require large yields.

See what joining 420Magazine has done? Now I'm going to buy a dedicated Hair Iron and trash some hash tonight!

Thanks Folks!

Keith

Brixklinger says moar so I will oblige. If this doesn't convince you to get a rosin press I don't know what will! I took 3.5gms of Huck Kush Pineberry and split it into 7 squishes of @0.5gm each. Here is a video of one of the squishes.

[video=youtube_share;4SgGgIWc5a8]
[/video]

At the end I gathered up all the rosin and found a 0.7gm yield or 20%. No solvents no wait!

image15385.jpeg

Brixklinger says moar so I will oblige. If this doesn't convince you to get a rosin press I don't know what will! I took 3.5gms of Huck Kush Pineberry and split it into 7 squishes of @0.5gm each. Here is a video of one of the squishes.

[video=youtube_share;4SgGgIWc5a8]
[/video]

At the end I gathered up all the rosin and found a 0.7gm yield or 20%. No solvents no wait!

image15385.jpeg

Gorgeous gold bubbles my friend!!!

ShiggityFlip,

That is freakin awesome man, it looks like I really need to try to build with a rig better than my hair iron. I have a good workshop and will start accumulating the parts. I know I've made many bud chips, but not much resin! I did get a decent yield from pressing the hash with a coffee filter and parchment paper as suggested. Thanks

Could you venture a guess at the PSI applied in your video?

I have a 4 ton vertical press in my shop that hasn't seen any love since my last wheel bearing replacements!

Keith

so guys, I'm gonna pull the trigger on equipment, planning to use a kief tumbler....what about keif/dry sift tech prior to the rosin tech?

dry ice?

grind product?

pre-freeze?

99% of product will be dry trim

Gonna do a 5gal bucket on vibrator with deisel sieves, fill 25u bags with kief and press. there will be different levels of product in there, but wondering about the cold ideas, ice... and to grind or not to grind....

ShiggityFlip,

That is freakin awesome man, it looks like I really need to try to build with a rig better than my hair iron. I have a good workshop and will start accumulating the parts. I know I've made many bud chips, but not much resin! I did get a decent yield from pressing the hash with a coffee filter and parchment paper as suggested. Thanks

Could you venture a guess at the PSI applied in your video?

I have a 4 ton vertical press in my shop that hasn't seen any love since my last wheel bearing replacements!

Keith
Keith I am using my body weight which is about 235lb and the rosin plates are mounted on a 1 ton arbor press. With a 4 ton press I wouldn't go farther than a 3 X 3" set of plates but if doing just personal 2" plates are great.

so guys, I'm gonna pull the trigger on equipment, planning to use a kief tumbler....what about keif/dry sift tech prior to the rosin tech?

dry ice?

grind product?

pre-freeze?

99% of product will be dry trim

Gonna do a 5gal bucket on vibrator with deisel sieves, fill 25u bags with kief and press. there will be different levels of product in there, but wondering about the cold ideas, ice... and to grind or not to grind....
Dry ice kief worked great for me. People also press bubble and dry sift.
When pressing kief you will want to use a low micron screen either silkscreen or metal mesh. Like 50um or lower. You can use lower temperatures too. Right now I am using 200-220. If I was doing mainly kief I would go 180F. But don't quote me on that. Look up some threads on pressing kief. People regularly get 50% yield or more with kief. In my trials with dry ice kief I used a natural I bleached coffee filter. But you must be careful if using one as they can blow out very easily!

Also when pressing kief use a low amount of pressure and slowly increase it as more presses out. With nugs I just press away and don't worry.

No need to freeze the kief. Just fill that 25um filter bag and press!

Keith I am using my body weight which is about 235lb and the rosin plates are mounted on a 1 ton arbor press. With a 4 ton press I wouldn't go farther than a 3 X 3" set of plates but if doing just personal 2" plates are great.

Dry ice kief worked great for me. People also press bubble and dry sift.
When pressing kief you will want to use a low micron screen either silkscreen or metal mesh. Like 50um or lower. You can use lower temperatures too. Right now I am using 200-220. If I was doing mainly kief I would go 180F. But don't quote me on that. Look up some threads on pressing kief. People regularly get 50% yield or more with kief. In my trials with dry ice kief I used a natural I bleached coffee filter. But you must be careful if using one as they can blow out very easily!

Also when pressing kief use a low amount of pressure and slowly increase it as more presses out. With nugs I just press away and don't worry.

I also recommend researching "directional flow" parchment folding for pressing bubble/sift/kief. You can use 25 micron nylon/poly bags as well. Stainless steel screens cost more but you can get a few uses out of them unlike nylon or poly bags.

Wow, thanks for sharing this great information. I would imagine I wouldn't go the DIY route on that but definitely worth checking out. I'm not a huge dab guy but do like mixing up different methods.

Back
Top Bottom