SkooterClowns - CFL Papaya Grow

Skoot check this out. 3 summers ago i built a small coy pond and I was looking for some plants for the upper pond above the 2ft tall waterfall.Went to the pond store and they had Iris and day lillies but they were like 20 to $35 each. I said to my wife BULLSHIT why am I gonna pay that when I have tons of those plant around my house.
Went home dug them up, (outta dirt)cleaned the dirt off the roots stuck them in a big screen pot with some lava rock and stuck them in the 1 1/2ft deep upper pond.
Now it been 1 1/2 summers and 2 winter and thy seem to love it.
I say if you catch them in a 6 or 12oz cup it will be just fine. Im wondering how they like thier new way of eating
Love to see all the peeps that are behind you?

Ya Sparkplug. they are lovin' it in the warm, nute filled bath. Slappy told me things are still looking good. He promised to post some pics possibly tomorrow.

Ya it's nice to have all the support and encouragement. This site is a great place to learn and to get an atta boy when needed.

Ya we did MtnHi... We rocked them and, in one case, chopped 'em. I'm kind of surprised by the lack of reaction from our actually cutting a hunk of roots off one of the babies. I had imagined we would have been asked questions or at the very least have someone telling their thoughts or experiences about this, potentially murderous, move.

Maybe it's not as drastic as we thought?

Lookin good guys. Root pruning is actually quite beneficial to plants.
I have done it to a lot of different house plants when transplanting.
It is also a good way to fix root bound plants. Most of these house plants
even the hard to grow varieties don't seem to skip a beat so I can't see ganja
being any different. There are lots of great things to learn from "normal" gardening that can benefit our hydroponics. Soil or no soil its all same same but different. I start my seedlings in jiffy starters which are coco then straight into my media wether it be rockwool, fytocell or clay balls.

Lookin good guys. Root pruning is actually quite beneficial to plants.
I have done it to a lot of different house plants when transplanting.
It is also a good way to fix root bound plants. Most of these house plants
even the hard to grow varieties don't seem to skip a beat so I can't see ganja
being any different. There are lots of great things to learn from "normal" gardening that can benefit our hydroponics. Soil or no soil its all same same but different. I start my seedlings in jiffy starters which are coco then straight into my media wether it be rockwool, fytocell or clay balls.

Really Groover? These are all good things to know. I am not very good at keeping house plants alive (I even killed a Cactus! Was given to me as a house warming gift from friends that know I kill house plants. The poor cactus died in less than a week) so thought that cutting roots would be absolutely devastating to any plant. Live and learn. Something else I would not have known had I not been a member here ;)

thanks groover, i'd been curious about this. *thumbs up*

We have rootage!

DSC022951.JPG

Front Right - Blue Ph**k

DSC022941.JPG

Back Right - Afghani

DSC022921.JPG

Back Left - "Weed"

DSC022911.JPG

Front Left - Chrystal

DSC022931.JPG

Front to Back - Blue Ph**k, Afghani

DSC022902.JPG

Front to Back - Chrystal, "Weed"

G'day mate, looks like you and Slappo have got things sorted.
I got roots coming outta my net pots today too but the bloody camera is flat so I'll update my thread tomorrow.:grinjoint::peace:

Thanks Stakkur

Ya that one was the weakest lookin' one of the bunch when we started. We found a problem and resolved it so they will all be looking better soon :ganjamon:

Speaking of which here are new pictures. Slappy and I ran into a problem that we finally resolved Friday. We were having a problem maintaining the temperature in the lower half of the box. Couldn't keep the temperature even in the box (top to bottom). The grow box is sitting directly on the concrete floor and heat rises so the result was a much lower temp in the bottom of the box and while trying to even it up with the top of the box resulted in too much heat up there. With a number of combinations of fan/ceramic heater/temperature probe locations we finally fixed that issue.

We had noticed that the roots had stopped developing during all of this and had come to the conclusion that the combination of temperature fluxuation and spiked Ph (it hit 7.0) had stopped their development. Two days ago (Friday) we got that all under control and now the roots have begun to develop again.

On the plus side while the roots had stopped developing the plants remained healthy and strong.

Roots are taking on a brownish color due to the addition of the Floralicious Plus.

DSC023071.JPG

Chrystal (Front) "Weed" (Rear)

DSC023081.JPG

Blue Ph**k (Front) Afghan (Rear)

DSC02310.JPG

Chrystal (Front) "Weed" (Rear)

DSC023111.JPG

Blue Ph**k (Front) Afghan (Rear)

The Slap Master took the pictures while changing the water (that's why the level is so low).

Day 10 since transplant to hydro 18/6
PPM - 1263
Ph - 5.5
GH Week - 3 mix & Floralicious Plus

Ok, well after a week or two trying to get these things going it looks like we finally have a handle on it....

Not sure why (possibly the remainder of the dirt) but our PH seems to be on a constant rise... I have been keeping an eye on it and have been adjusting it to keep it in the 5.2-5.6 range...the roots seem to be developing quickly on all the pants now except the afghan. We are waiting on it to grow a little more roots before we do the switch to 12/12....we think that will be in about another week but we might start sooner depending on how fast thigs go from here

We have no idea how big any of these are going to grow so we want to get them into the 12/12 cycle as soon as possible now.

OK...here are the pictures
DSC023312.JPG

DSC023321.JPG

DSC023332.JPG

Day 15 since transplant to hydro 18/6
PPM - 1125
Ph - 5.2
GH Week - 3 mix & Floralicious Plus

I've seen that in the other DWC grows that the hydro seems to drift either upwards or downwards. And it's probably because the plants eat diffrent nutes making the pH change with the proportions of what they eat.

Looking good tho :cheer:

Is it me or are they looking a bit yellowish ?

Ya Stakkur we're thinking a lack of nutes being delivered from the sudden spike in PH is causing the yellow. We have our fingers crossed. Having 4 different plants and all being ones we have never grown makes it difficult knowing what to expect etc.

This is going to continue to be an interesting grow.

Ya Stakkur we're thinking a lack of nutes being delivered from the sudden spike in PH is causing the yellow. We have our fingers crossed. Having 4 different plants and all being ones we have never grown makes it difficult knowing what to expect etc.

This is going to continue to be an interesting grow

Makes it more exciting! Chrystal? Nirvana seeds? :peace:

Dunno Coco. We use Nirvana seeds and are going by their description but we got these as rooted plants and were told what they were. But we don't know the origin of the seeds for any of them.

I would say Chrystal before Papaya. Its tuff to tell with cfl's sometimes but I have this one Papaya left and its about 16 inches in height ruffly. Looking forward on seeing your girls bud GL with them.

DSC_00483.JPG

Hey dogstick thanks for stopping by. Ya none of those are Papaya. They didn't make it so we have these four going. Name of the thread is misleading. Your girl looks great. We'll be tackling the Papaya again some time in April. That's when we should be back in "normal" production under HID.

MoutainHigh. Yeah they are definitely taking to their new environment. The last pictures up are from yesterday. The new roots are coming in nicely. Took some time for them to start but we expect faster results going forward. We need to more carefully monitor the PH level so far this time. We're not sure why it is spiking during this grow. Never happened before. Nothing major to worry about though.

Back
Top Bottom