SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkstar

Re: SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkst

Heheh, your technique looks familiar, SlowToke. :laugh:

Everything looks proper - you got a valid reading. I expected something higher, but 10 is right in line with its age. Keep playing around with it, learning how it varies. For instance, if you keep crushing the same wad, the reading will usually rise. Dry plants will read higher - freshly watered ones will read lower, etc. Older, lower fans are more stable and won't reflect recent changes as well. Newer material will change in a matter of hours.

:thumb:

Re: SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkst

That's a lot of excellent looking green goodness! :bravo:

Thanks, Major. I appreciate it! I am feeling pretty good about things right now. But full disclosure... I did prune a couple sorry looking fan leaves before taking pictures.:laughtwo:

slotoke, I believe Brix goes up as the plant matures. looks great!!

(+) reps

Thanks, Ziggy. I remember reading that the Brix values can go as high as the high teens later in the bloom phase. We'll see how they do. I also wonder if the hard times the plants were having before I moved them to the 10-gallon pots might effect the values. And it hasn't been all that long since that point in time, so hopefully they can fully recover in time.

Everything looks proper - you got a valid reading. I expected something higher, but 10 is right in line with its age. Keep playing around with it, learning how it varies. For instance, if you keep crushing the same wad, the reading will usually rise. Dry plants will read higher - freshly watered ones will read lower, etc. Older, lower fans are more stable and won't reflect recent changes as well. Newer material will change in a matter of hours.

Yeah, I should have given you proper credit for you early work with the brix meter. Sorry about that! Just remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :adore: I'll keep working with the meter, to get a better sense of the variables. It's pretty cool, really. I'm having fun playing with it.

Your plants sure look like more than a 10. The only numbers you should compare is with yourself. I've read about huge discrepancies being found when different people or plants are involved. Consistent technique is what counts. Same type of material, from the same part of the plant, at the same time of day, after the same amount of time after feeding/watering, etc.

That's good advice, Major! I definitely see the refractometer as a tool to help me improve my plants, and to judge progress. But I'll also be the first to brag if I get some high ratings! :slide:

Thanks, Major. I appreciate it! I am feeling pretty good about things right now. But full disclosure... I did prune a couple sorry looking fan leaves before taking pictures.:laughtwo:

Thanks, Ziggy. I remember reading that the Brix values can go as high as the high teens later in the bloom phase. We'll see how they do. I also wonder if the hard times the plants were having before I moved them to the 10-gallon pots might effect the values. And it hasn't been all that long since that point in time, so hopefully they can fully recover in time.

Yeah, I should have given you proper credit for you early work with the brix meter. Sorry about that! Just remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :adore: I'll keep working with the meter, to get a better sense of the variables. It's pretty cool, really. I'm having fun playing with it.

Stress definitely affects the Brix..

Stress definitely affects the Brix..

Looking back at my notes, I was reminded that I also gave the plants a GE drench two days before the readings. That may have also effected the readings. I'll check again in a couple of days, and I'll also try to take the sample at about the same location on the same plant. It'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

After a while youll stop taking brix readings because youll be able to tell what they are just by the looks lol. I stopped years ago :)

Cannatard, that does sound like a good goal to me. To just look at the plants and get a sense of the brix value would be awesome. I'm not anywhere near that level of intuitive awareness yet, so the meter is very useful to me right now.

So what I'm hearing here is, in the end, after all that playing around to learn how the readings can vary, to do exactly what Major recommended and build a consistent process for collection?

SlowToke, your canopy structure is a thing of beauty. Had to give the reps for that, 'cause that sweet tutorial on brix readings was making it a hard choice. :laughtwo: You're a quick study buckaroo. It's a pleasure to stop here and drink up all this visual beauty. What a luscious grow you have going here. I know I'm not the only one watching in awe.

Between this gorgeous room and Shiggity's new light mover and monster panel this is turning out to be quite an exciting growing cycle for HB. Goosebumps. Lol!

So what I'm hearing here is, in the end, after all that playing around to learn how the readings can vary, to do exactly what Major recommended and build a consistent process for collection?

SlowToke, your canopy structure is a thing of beauty. Had to give the reps for that, 'cause that sweet tutorial on brix readings was making it a hard choice. :laughtwo: You're a quick study buckaroo. It's a pleasure to stop here and drink up all this visual beauty. What a luscious grow you have going here. I know I'm not the only one watching in awe.

Between this gorgeous room and Shiggity's new light mover and monster panel this is turning out to be quite an exciting growing cycle for HB. Goosebumps. Lol!

Sue, thanks so much for the incredibly kind words! I appreciate them, as well as the reps from you and everyone else. You all have been incredibly supportive of me during this grow, and that is no doubt largely responsible for my good fortune so far. Thanks so much to all of you!

Day 85/Day 15 Bloom

Another week in the life of the SlowToke threesome of Blue Dream, Critical Cure and Darkstar. The girls are really starting to stretch and set buds now. Fortunately, so far the stretch hasn't been enough to exceed my height limits in my grow space, which is great. And they all seem happy in their 10-gallon pots. The roots must be taking off like wild, as the watering schedule has dropped from 10 to 7 days in the last week. I am hopeful this will pay dividends when the buds need all the energy they can get.

Here's some pictures:

untitled-4073.jpg

untitled-4074.jpg

untitled-4075.jpg

untitled-4076.jpg

untitled-4077.jpg

untitled-4078.jpg

untitled-4079.jpg

untitled-4080.jpg

untitled-4081.jpg

The clones are also coming along nicely.

untitled-4082.jpg

untitled-4083.jpg

untitled-4084.jpg

untitled-4085.jpg

untitled-4086.jpg

untitled-4088.jpg

Although truth be told, I'm not feeling the love for that one leggy Blue Dream clone, front row center in the 2-gallon pots. Actually depending on how well the current Solo cup clones do, I might replace all of the Blue Dream clones in the 2- gallon pots. The thing is, I made a mistake with that first batch of clones by only labeling the strain and not which individual plant the clone came from. I've corrected that with the two subsequent groups of clones, and I really want to limit the next batch of Blue Dream that I take to flower to either BD#1 and/or BD#2. BD#3 never grew as well as the other two, so I want to make sure that plant is left out of the next batch. As long as the known phenotype BD plants look healthy, I'll go with them so I know better what I can expect.

I also transplanted to Solo cups three more BD#2 clones that finally showed roots. Here are those clones.

untitled-4087.jpg

I'm hoping those all three grow well. BD#2 clones are what I really want to go with for the next bloom cycle.

And now that we are two weeks into bloom I need to review the High Brix instructions again. It seems like there should be a soil amendments recharge coming up soon, and maybe a catatonic drench in a couple more weeks depending on how well the buds are set at that point. Anyway, that about covers things for this week. Thanks for dropping by!

What a jungle. :laughtwo: It's been a few days. I happen to know those plants look significantly different than those last pictures. My CBD Critical Cure is now at day 102. This picture was from two days ago, 3 days after her second CAT.

image12480.jpeg

Your turn. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Wow! That picture looks better than I remembered. :laughtwo: I can't wait to have a good sativa looking like that.

What a jungle. :laughtwo: It's been a few days. I happen to know those plants look significantly different than those last pictures. My CBD Critical Cure is now at day 102. This picture was from two days ago, 3 days after her second CAT.

image12480.jpeg

Your turn. :battingeyelashes: :love:

That's a great looking CC! Mine haven't stretched like that. But on the plus side, my Blue Dream and Darkstar plants sure have. Update coming up shortly.

Day 92/Flip + 22

Time for the weekly update. This one might be a little short, as I have been under the weather for the last week or so. Either my disease is flaring up, or side effects from the treatments are, but I've been feeling weak with a fair amount of pain. I just haven't had the energy to get on the internet, or to do much with my plants. Fortunately they didn't need a lot of hand holding over the last week. Saturday was drench day, but I let it slide until Sunday when I felt a little better. I also applied the Recharge amendments, with the help of the missus. And gave them their Growth Energy drench. I'm thinking it will be time for the first CAT drench next weekend, but wouldn't mind some opinions if my buds have set enough yet. Anyway, here are some pictures.

untitled-4101.jpg

untitled-4102.jpg

untitled-4103.jpg

untitled-4104.jpg

untitled-4106.jpg

untitled-4107.jpg

untitled-4112.jpg

untitled-4113.jpg

untitled-4114.jpg

Blue Dream #1 (first row, far side) is really looking sativa-ish, with about 6 main colas that are about 4-5 inches taller than Blue Dream #2 (first row, near side). Initially I thought Blue Dream #2 was going to be the best plant, but #1 has taken off with the best sativa like traits so far. I should have at least two good BD#1 clones in the veg tent, so at worst I go forward with the next bloom with 2 BD#1s and 1 BD#2. I can live with that. BD#3 is hanging low with the Critical Cures. Those clones will probably be culled.

The two Darkstar plants are also stretching nicely, with the Critical Cure plants all staying fairly low for now. Maybe a good CAT drench is what they need to kick start some serious stretch, but more than likely they will stay fairly short if they haven't stretched by now. We shall see.

We are seeing some nice bud setting going on, with some trichomes starting to develop! :yahoo: As you can see, I'm pretty excited about that!

untitled-4109.jpg

untitled-4110.jpg

untitled-4111.jpg

untitled-4115.jpg

But not all is looking great in the ST garden. Some of the indica plants are starting to show some signs of stress or deficiencies, as some of the leafs are starting to turn brown. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe the recharge top dressing will help.

untitled-4118.jpg

untitled-4120.jpg

untitled-4119.jpg

No clone shots this week, but they're hanging in there. I put the last four clones from Critical Cure #1 (the tallest and bushiest CC plant) in Solo cups this morning, so the cloning tray can now get a rest for a month or two. I should be well stocked for the next bloom cycle.

That's all for now. Thanks for dropping by, and appreciate any comments on the CAT drench timing or the funky indica leaves.

Back
Top Bottom