Smokey1507 1st Soil - CFL Grow

Re: Smokey1507 1st soil,CFL grow

Many people over-water their girls. I would just pick up the pot right after watering to see how heavy it is and then pick it up again when it's dry. There should be a significant difference in weight. You should wait until at least the top inch of soil is dry before you water again. And I would just hold off on the nutes too. Just give her water until she gets some growth going.

I went back and read again about your soil. It seems that you incorporated a bunch of compost into your soil. Is that correct?

i will try that out next time i water ... i think so i dont actually know what type of soil it is i just got a small bag of a friend ( enough for two pots).. maybe on my next grow i will spend some more money on a good type of soil do you have any recomendations?

i will try that out next time i water ... i think so i dont actually know what type of soil it is i just got a small bag of a friend ( enough for two pots).. maybe on my next grow i will spend some more money on a good type of soil do you have any recomendations?

Well, I was going to say that if you have soil with a bunch of compost in it, you don't need to add any nutes until late into flower. You might have to supplement the soil a little bit throughout your grow but you're not supposed to use as much nutes if you incorporate compost into the mix. If you use something like a coco/perlite mix, you have no nutes and you have to feed your girls. If you are working with compost, it's full of nutrients and minerals that your girls can use. If you feed them more, they will burn.:goodluck:

Thanks for the great info man i will have to have a long think about my next grow and decide on what lights.. nutes..soil.. ect my head is fryed id love to get a hps but loads of ppl are saying to stick with the cfl's lol

Thanks for the great info man i will have to have a long think about my next grow and decide on what lights.. nutes..soil.. ect my head is fryed id love to get a hps but loads of ppl are saying to stick with the cfl's lol

CFL's are great. I use them for vegging. I actually have 9 seedlings under CFL's right now and my girls just love them. But...for flowering you can't beat HPS. Some of the LED's out there rival HPS but CFL's don't even come close. In order to rival the yield from under an HPS, you would have to have each of your girls surrounded by many many CFL's. The light intensity and penetration from an HPS is only matched by some LED's. So...if you are ABLE (because some people can't use them due to noise, heat, etc.) to use an HPS, do so. They are quite cheap and you will grow some premium medicine. :goodluck:

CFL's are great. I use them for vegging. I actually have 9 seedlings under CFL's right now and my girls just love them. But...for flowering you can't beat HPS. Some of the LED's out there rival HPS but CFL's don't even come close. In order to rival the yield from under an HPS, you would have to have each of your girls surrounded by many many CFL's. The light intensity and penetration from an HPS is only matched by some LED's. So...if you are ABLE (because some people can't use them due to noise, heat, etc.) to use an HPS, do so. They are quite cheap and you will grow some premium medicine. :goodluck:

Thanks for that info man i think i might save the pennies and get a 250w hps and keep the 125w cfl for the veg... how bad are the hps on electric? im kinda thinking they would drain it! ? ;)

4x 75 actual watt 6500K twist CFLs from Amazon.com 200 watt output lumens each. Growing like weeds (pun intended)
I hear people on here tell me (its not the lumens output, blah blah blah... its the actual wattage.
So I bought a happy medium.
75 watt each cfls that put out 200 watts worth of lumens.
So.... 800 watts worth of growing power (to me) or to everyone else 300 watts.
Either way, it is working. A bit too well. I water the plants at night, have them on a 24hour grow light schedule, and in the morning I get 1-2 inches of growth.
My pics prove it. Have only been growing for a month.
They grow in bursts I should note. I let the soil dry out for 2-3 days in between waterings. Then I water them before bed. In the morning when I check 'em, they get huge.

I should also note that other than those grow bursts after watering, I do not see them growing nearly as dramatic.

My temp is a steady 70 degrees F. I have a fan running at all times, they are in Fox Farms Ocean soil and when I do give them Nutes, it is once every other week, 1/8th tsp to 1 gallon of boiled and cooled tap water. Anything more than that gives them nute burn I notice. I use Botanicare Pure blend Pro formulas.

Less nutes is more, is true.
:bong:

thats great dude i have 4 x 18watt 2700k and it says there about 85watt and produce 1145 lumens each i know its not much for flower but on a really tight budget.... i have messed up my grow something seroius lol as you might of seen through my journal... im looking to get a 150w hps and i have a 125w cfl to start the seedlings off then i would put them under the hps till the end ... its really hard to fing good cfl's where i live so i have to make do with what i can get my hands on :)

thats great dude i have 4 x 18watt 2700k and it says there about 85watt and produce 1145 lumens each i know its not much for flower but on a really tight budget.... i have messed up my grow something seroius lol as you might of seen through my journal... im looking to get a 150w hps and i have a 125w cfl to start the seedlings off then i would put them under the hps till the end ... its really hard to fing good cfl's where i live so i have to make do with what i can get my hands on :)

:nicethread:
Buy them online at amazon.com. I payed like $9.00 each per bulb, and as you can see from my plants, I'm sure gonna make my money back in savings instead of going down to the cannabis club every other day.

Just remember, with HPS and stuff, it gets very hot. So if you do buy it, be prepared to buy the matching vent material and inline fans as well, otherwise you might roast your weed... or your house for that fact.
Also consider this, CFLs cost less, give off less heat, and can be placed underneath and on the sides of your canopy. They are a wiser and cheaper investment.
:reading420magazine:
(-those of you who doubt my claims view my grow-)
:smokin:

:nicethread:
CFLs cost less, give off less heat, and can be placed underneath and on the sides of your canopy. They are a wiser and cheaper investment.

INDIVIDUALLY, CFL's do cost less...BUT you can't use just 1 so...if you end up buying a bunch of them it will cost you just as much as a HID light.

AGAIN INDIVIDUALLY, CFL's do give off less heat. I have a bunch of them placed in a closet and they generate a LOT of heat. Maybe not as much as my 600W HPS but they still generate a lot of heat.

It is true that you can place them underneath and on the sides of the canopy. They are great for that. They are great for supplemental light during flowering or as main source of light for vegging.

BUT...I would have to disagree with you that they are a WISER investment. For flowering you will not beat HPS with CFL's. You would have to match the HPS watt for watt with CFL's and surround your plants with them in order to even come close to the same results.

If you are at all able to use an HPS, DO SO. Use CFL's for supplemental light or for vegging. :roorrip:

I NEED SOME HELP GUY'S i have just seen a 150w hps kit for £30 exc reflector i would be putting it in a wardrobe... i need to know if its going to be loads of heat... will it be safe for the plant and my house lol :roorrip:

INDIVIDUALLY, CFL's do cost less...BUT you can't use just 1 so...if you end up buying a bunch of them it will cost you just as much as a HID light.

AGAIN INDIVIDUALLY, CFL's do give off less heat. I have a bunch of them placed in a closet and they generate a LOT of heat. Maybe not as much as my 600W HPS but they still generate a lot of heat.

It is true that you can place them underneath and on the sides of the canopy. They are great for that. They are great for supplemental light during flowering or as main source of light for vegging.

BUT...I would have to disagree with you that they are a WISER investment. For flowering you will not beat HPS with CFL's. You would have to match the HPS watt for watt with CFL's and surround your plants with them in order to even come close to the same results.

If you are at all able to use an HPS, DO SO. Use CFL's for supplemental light or for vegging. :roorrip:

Now, the high performance CFLs I bought online (not in a hydro store) were less than $10 each x 4 = $40 for 300 (actual) watts of growing power (800 watts of equal lumens output) soooo it still is far below cost of HPS with a matching vent system.
If you were to buy the same bulbs in a hydro store, it would easily cost $45 each, then it would be close to buying just the light and fixture of HPS (not including venting)

i bought 1x 125watt cfl for £30 and it has let me down im my grow due to heat reasons as i live in uk.... but i get what people say about getting a few small cfl's and that generates more heat... STILL UNDECIDED LOL

i bought 1x 125watt cfl for £30 and it has let me down im my grow due to heat reasons as i live in uk.... but i get what people say about getting a few small cfl's and that generates more heat... STILL UNDECIDED LOL

What is your temp and RH?

Highandwired is right, you need to know your temperature and humidity. humidity is a big factor in disease and (the dreaded) powder mold!

Back
Top Bottom