Smokey1507 1st Soil - CFL Grow

Re: Smokey1507 1st soil,CFL grow

:S erm dont know temps still trying to get hold of a thermometer & humidity waiting for the bidding to end on e-bay will be another week or so ... here is the spec of the wardrobe 5 1/2 ft tall 3ft wide and depth is 1 1/2 ft...

3 in 1 DIGITAL TEMPERATURE HUMIDITY METER THERMOMETER search e-bay and im waiting it too end zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Now, the high performance CFLs I bought online (not in a hydro store) were less than $10 each x 4 = $40 for 300 (actual) watts of growing power (800 watts of equal lumens output) soooo it still is far below cost of HPS with a matching vent system.
If you were to buy the same bulbs in a hydro store, it would easily cost $45 each, then it would be close to buying just the light and fixture of HPS (not including venting)

You have it all wrong. There is no such thing as 800 watts of equal lumen output!!! Light intensity and penetration is very different for HPS and fluorescents.
First, different type bulbs vary greatly in the amount of total light (measured in lumens) they produce. Incandescent bulbs can produce as little as 13 lumens per watt whereas fluorescents can be as high as 85 lumens per watt. HPS lights usually run around 150 lumens per watt. Second, bulb shape, reflector configuration and the distance of the plant from the light have an enormous impact on the amount of light a plant receives. Finally, the color or spectrum of the light greatly influences how well the plant can use the light hitting it. Only 20-percent of the light from an incandescent lamp is used while virtually 100-percent of the light from a GOOD fluorescent grow lamp will be absorbed.

The light from a point source like a normal incandescent bulb falls off by the square of the distance: doubling the distance from the bulb reduces the intensity by a factor of four. Because fluorescent bulbs are long source rather than a point source, intensity falls off more linearly when the plant is close: doubling the distance reduces the intensity by half.

With HPS, the intensity and penetration is much stronger than any CFL. Once your plant triples in size during flowering, you won't get enough penetration to the lower parts of your plant. With HPS, the intensity and penetrating power of the light falls of much slower than with CFL's.

yeah its in my house ... dont know the temp but let me tell u all its very cold lol it depends on what weather we have but its cold enough to wear a jacket just watching tv pmsl

i know that i would need a couple of cfl to hit the low areas of the plant under a hps cos like you said it takes longer to reach the bottom... i have no problems with that its just that under my 125w cfl i was not even getting any gowth and the stage im at is just to get a hps any fuck the cfl out the window lol due to the coldness of my house cos like you said the hps will tripple the size of a plant... would a 150w hps be ok in the wardrobe without burning my house down lol

yes at the moment... its never on because its never warm enough lol would you put the hps in the case :/

No don't put the hps in the case you will fry your plants. You need to find another space to grow it in if you're going to use an HPS light.

i will use the wardrobe then... i dont want to fry my plant AGAIN LOL if the 150w hps is still on e-bay on wed i will buy it ... cant wait yipeeeee id bet my northern lights would just explode under that heat :) :slide:

You want to veg under a CFL...for flowering switch to the HPS. Keep your temps in check and don't water too often and you should be fine.

thats what i was thinking i could use my pc case for veg with the cfl and use the wardrobe for flowering under the hps... would i need to put fans in the wardrobe with the hps or does that depend on the temp?

If HPS would triple the size of my plants, I would have to cut the top off of my grow tent LOL!
Look Smokey, your going to need to think about venting and smell killing soon enough regardless of your light situation.
:420:

true man i have a household extractor fan and in the room im going to put the setup in it has a vent which leads outside and seen as it's on the top floor i just have to find a way to feed it from the back of my wardrobe... never crossed my mind lol thanks looking4fun

I see you been busy smokey...finally decided on getting that hps hey?!

Go for it man!show us what that baby looks like as soon as it's delivered!

If HPS would triple the size of my plants, I would have to cut the top off of my grow tent LOL!
Look Smokey, your going to need to think about venting and smell killing soon enough regardless of your light situation.
:420:

I don't know about you L4F but I have been doing a lot of reading and the general idea is that your plants will double, if not triple, in size after veg. Here are some examples:

hey Iron,

I have given that advice many times,, that plants will double or may even triple in size in flower,, but did not heed my own advice..lol

I got some real tall ones now, I had to tie down the tops to keep them from hitting the light..

now, I am topping them before they leave the veg cab, so they are a little shorter, and won't get as tall..

when you take your clones,, top her as well, (take a clone from the top) and trim her down a bit,, tie her down too if needed,, let her heal up, then put her in flower..

:goodluck:

If you switch them to more than 12 hours of light, they will stop flowering and go back into vegetative growth.

The current buds will stop developing, but I'm not sure if they would die or drop off eventually.

Plants do double or even triple their size in bloom, so you might be OK just keeping things at 12/12.

:welldone:

thanks highandwired i told that fella that my nl under hps would double in size lol some people just dont like being wrong haha :)

UpinSmoke yeah seen a hps for 30 but need to get a reflector its only a 150 but it will do the job nicely.. how have ya been getting on with the leg have ya thrown away those crutches yet :)

Back
Top Bottom