Snoop429 Super Awesome 420 Soilless - Big Bang Auto - Mars 900W - Virgin Grow

Time for an update and looking for some advice.

My lady got a good watering last night. I gave her 6 liter total which gave me a little runoff. I mixed up the General Organics at a rate the 4 Litter rate plus 10%. Cal/Meg has been at 20% extra for a while now. After I seen damage about 2 weeks ago I had thought it was from the increase in nutrients (They had gotten 6L at full strength) but I think i was mistaken. I'm now thinking that its deficiency from a low ph. I use tap water that sits out usually for 5-7 days before watering. Its naturally 6.8. PPM 245. I didn't start lowering by ph till the week before I started seeing the damage for the first time. Ive noticed it again on a decent amount of leaves. I use the drops to measure ph and find it hard to really know were your at. I wouldn't recommend them. Here are 2 pics of the same leaf.
20150315_002315.jpg
20150315_002336.jpg

Even though I just watered yesterday I was wondering if I should flush. (go back to using the 6.8 tap water) If i was to flush how much runoff should i have to get the medium cleared out? and after a flush would you wait for it to dry out again (5 days) before adding nutrients again? Im growing in in Promix with added vermiculite.

After reading a few post Im thinking its a Potassium or Calcium deficiency. But maybe going back to 6.8 is the wrong direction and should be getting my ph even lower in that 5.5-5.8 range?

A digital Ph meter is on order and should have it on Wednesday. I'll flush and keep everything at 5.8. Hopefully I didn't cause to much damage.

I got my ph meter Wednesday and also picked up some RO water. After calibrating the meter, tested the RO. 5.5ph. I thought Ro water was a 7 but with it being 5.5 i added just a little of my tap water that was sitting out 5-7 days to get it to 5.8. Plant was flushed with 26 liters of water (just over 4 times my regular amount) The runoff of the last few samples were all in the 6.5-6.6 range. Is this the result that im looking for or should i have runoff of 5.8? Im growing in mostly promix with vermiculite.

Also took this time to do a little trimming. I lost about 8 leaves from damage that fell off on there own and removed others that were showing damage. Under the circumstances id say she looks ok.

Did a little research on the forums. From what I found I don't really need to be concerned with the ph of the runoff as long as the ph of the water going into the plant is correct.

Time for an update and looking for some advice.

My lady got a good watering last night. I gave her 6 liter total which gave me a little runoff. I mixed up the General Organics at a rate the 4 Litter rate plus 10%. Cal/Meg has been at 20% extra for a while now. After I seen damage about 2 weeks ago I had thought it was from the increase in nutrients (They had gotten 6L at full strength) but I think i was mistaken. I'm now thinking that its deficiency from a low ph. I use tap water that sits out usually for 5-7 days before watering. Its naturally 6.8. PPM 245. I didn't start lowering by ph till the week before I started seeing the damage for the first time. Ive noticed it again on a decent amount of leaves. I use the drops to measure ph and find it hard to really know were your at. I wouldn't recommend them. Here are 2 pics of the same leaf.
20150315_002315.jpg
20150315_002336.jpg

Even though I just watered yesterday I was wondering if I should flush. (go back to using the 6.8 tap water) If i was to flush how much runoff should i have to get the medium cleared out? and after a flush would you wait for it to dry out again (5 days) before adding nutrients again? Im growing in in Promix with added vermiculite.

I got my ph meter Wednesday and also picked up some RO water. After calibrating the meter, tested the RO. 5.5ph. I thought Ro water was a 7 but with it being 5.5 i added just a little of my tap water that was sitting out 5-7 days to get it to 5.8. Plant was flushed with 26 liters of water (just over 4 times my regular amount) The runoff of the last few samples were all in the 6.5-6.6 range. Is this the result that im looking for or should i have runoff of 5.8? Im growing in mostly promix with vermiculite.

Also took this time to do a little trimming. I lost about 8 leaves from damage that fell off on there own and removed others that were showing damage. Under the circumstances id say she looks ok.

I would flush the medium with at least twice the volume of pH adjusted water as pot size. Pro-Mix HP does have a pH range from 5.8-6.2 that the medium will buffer to and work well. Peat moss or Pro-Mix May also be flushed until the runoff liquid is pH 5.8 to remove nutrient buildup. Your leaf damage appears to be nutrient burn and possibly a calcium deficiency. I would use the full dosage amount of calcium and magnesium supplement for the volume of your nutrients.

You want 70°-90° Fahrenheit and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flower.

You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver and the Plant Abuse Chart

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Plant Abuse Chart

I would flush the medium with at least twice the volume of pH adjusted water as pot size. Pro-Mix HP does have a pH range from 5.8-6.2 that the medium will buffer to and work well. Peat moss or Pro-Mix May also be flushed until the runoff liquid is pH 5.8 to remove nutrient buildup. Your leaf damage appears to be nutrient burn and possibly a calcium deficiency. I would use the full dosage amount of calcium and magnesium supplement for the volume of your nutrients.

Thanks for the response KingJohn but I have a couple questions. With my first flush only being 1/2 of the recommended volume of water and I also gave the plant some nutrients 2 days later would you recommend I do another flush at the full amount? 5gal pot about 20 Liters so 40 Liters of water. Also how soon after a flush do you add more nutrients?

Thanks again

Didn't see any new damage on the leaves when checking her over last night. I decided that instead of flushing again to carry on with the scheduled program. Water with 4 liters of Ro, Ph was 5.8. General Organics suggested rates with an increase in Cal/meg. I removed the damaged fan leaves. This will help me notice if anything new shows up. Hairs have started turning red in the last week and is looking nice. Will try to get a new photo up soon.

Thanks for the response KingJohn but I have a couple questions. With my first flush only being 1/2 of the recommended volume of water and I also gave the plant some nutrients 2 days later would you recommend I do another flush at the full amount? 5gal pot about 20 Liters so 40 Liters of water. Also how soon after a flush do you add more nutrients?

Thanks again

I would watch the plant to see how it now responds to the flush you have performed. You may also water a nutrient mixture back to the plants after the flush is performed.

Update time.

Monday night I went ahead and gave the plant another water and fertilizer. I was still seeing some new damage on the leaves and decided that I should do another full flush. With only aprox 2.5 weeks left I wasn't sure if it would make much difference but better safe then sorry. I picked up 60L of RO water this morning. Sale day buy 2 get one free. $8 so not to bad. Lights go out at 10 so I wanted to get this done sooner then later. It takes a bit of time to get 40L of water to soak through a 5 gal pot. I got the plant back in its home by 11:30. Hopefully the time out of the tent wont stress her to much. I will apply another 4L of water and nutrients tonight. Im thinking this will be its last full feeding. I finally took a few pics but there not as clear as I would like.

These are 2 full body shots you can see some of the damage on a few of the leaves.
20150401_122224.jpg
20150401_122241.jpg

Here are a couple of bud shots. They are nice and sticky and feel solid. Im happy with that!
20150401_122258.jpg
20150401_122324.jpg

And finally this is one of the yellow leaves that I removed.
20150401_123530.jpg

Thats it for now. Waiting for a delivery today that Im excited about. Hope it arrives sooner then later!

Thanks for stopping by Superskunk,

So far so good. Sure there have been some issues but the flowers area looking nice! When I first started this grow I had an idea on how things would play out. Well that didn't happen but how often do you try to do something for the first time and do it well. You need to make mistakes. A couple more weeks and this one should be finished up. I'm going to be starting my 2nd very shortly and will post the link. Tax return came in so I bought myself a little something. Cant wait to get started hope you follow along. peace

Time for an update:

The flushing didn't give me the results that I was hoping for. Removed some damaged fan leaves tonight. Didn't take a photo but nice and red. Not to worried. Only about 2 weeks maybe less I think. Gave it some water tonight and I little fertilizer. Was planing on just RO water till the end. Should I harvest when the soil is dry or does it mater?

Here are a few pics form tonight.
20150407_223126.jpg
20150407_223205.jpg
20150407_223213.jpg

Just a quick update. Watered with straight Ro tonight. Might be the last watering maybe 1 more. Trichomes are mostly cloudy on the a leaf from the main cola. There were 3 amber. Not sure how quick things move along from here. Will Check it daily. Might just remove the 2 main colas and drop the light for a few days if needed. Sorry no pics but noticed a difference in the colas tonight gaining some weight forsure. I was thinking this weekend by the latest.

Time for an update:

The flushing didn't give me the results that I was hoping for. Removed some damaged fan leaves tonight. Didn't take a photo but nice and red. Not to worried. Only about 2 weeks maybe less I think. Gave it some water tonight and I little fertilizer. Was planing on just RO water till the end. Should I harvest when the soil is dry or does it mater?

I normally harvest flush my plants in soil/soiless mediums for 7-10 days before harvest. You are looking for an average number of amber trichomes on your buds to judge when to harvest. Most people harvest from 5%-30% amber trichomes. Harvest at 5%-15% amber trichomes for a "head high" energetic effect and harvest at 30%-50% amber trichomes for a "body stone" sedative effect strain dependent.

When I harvest I use disposable vinyl gloves and when I harvest a plant I start by cutting the branches off 1 by 1. I take the branch and first strip off all the fan leaves. I then use a pair of Fiskars Micro Tip Pruning scissors and trim all the sugar leaves flush with the bud. I then take the trimmed branches and place them in my drying rack to dry for 5-7 days or until the buds just break off the stems. I then trim off the buds from the stems and place the buds into storage containers. I take the buds out of the storage containers and place into a large bowl for 10 minutes per day for 10 days.

My drying rack

dry_fast_cactus.jpg

For trimming I use Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip recommended by the arthritis society, they come with a lifetime replacement warranty. One of the handles broke on my last pair, I used the warranty claim on the website and Fiskars replaced them at no cost.

https://www2.fiskars.com Titanium Micro Tip Easy Action Scissors No.5

drying racks

2' Dry Rack w/ Zipper Openings - perfectgardens

Back
Top Bottom